at last, some info!

post everything WSM 09 related here!

will be big Z be invited?
how is MPs Biceps coming along?
will Derek uncrown the champ this year?
What about big Travis O?

StretchTrapjaw
07-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Geography time: Malta is an island(s) directly south of Sicily in the Mediterranean Sea. I googled it and it looks like a beautiful place. Should make for a nice backdrop for the contest this year.

robert da strongman
07-31-2009, 03:23 PM
malta? holy crap!
98 or 99 WSM was there.

tjoe
07-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Stretchtrapjaw - Welcome aboard! Look forward to your contributions.

BrotherIron
07-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Why wouldn't big Z not get an invite?

robert da strongman
07-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Why wouldn't big Z not get an invite?

he competed in IFSA the past few years. but the WSM promoters have the last call in it. they might be worried Z could destroy Marius

BrotherIron
07-31-2009, 06:42 PM
he competed in IFSA the past few years. but the WSM promoters have the last call in it. they might be worried Z could destroy Marius

I think I'll have to send "end cat" to give those a$$holes a visit. lol

I personally think Marius will be crushed this year if not by Z than by someone else.

robert da strongman
07-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Derek Poundstone is the man that can do it.

Thad
07-31-2009, 06:45 PM
I think I'll have to send "end cat" to give those a$$holes a visit. lol

I personally think Marius will be crushed this year if not by Z than by someone else.
Derek Poundstone

lilfella
07-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Big Z could have a tough time with some of the events at World's. He as the brute strength, but some of the events favor the faster athletes.

robert da strongman
07-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Big Z could have a tough time with some of the events at World's. He as the brute strength, but some of the events favor the faster athletes.

people think that about Z. he can actually move. everyone forgets that he did appear in the worlds before.

Youngguns
07-31-2009, 08:54 PM
anyone realise how "Derek POUNDSTONE" is the most ironic name in history? Who's Z?

robert da strongman
07-31-2009, 08:56 PM
anyone realise how "Derek POUNDSTONE" is the most ironic name in history? Who's Z?

zydrunas savickas

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/export/sites/default/ironmind/zydrunas-db_lg.jpg

bluto
07-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Would you fellas agree that Savickas probably lacks the cardiovascular conditioning necessary to win the WSM comp?

Texas Stoneman
07-31-2009, 09:36 PM
I hear that Travis Ortmayer guy is a total badass... :beerbang:

Nah, not really. Just feeling strong! Now I just need to get my cardio up to par...

robert da strongman
07-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Would you fellas agree that Savickas probably lacks the cardiovascular conditioning necessary to win the WSM comp?

nope i believe he can, but not this year.

robert da strongman
07-31-2009, 09:37 PM

Nah, not really. Just feeling strong! Now I just need to get my cardio up to par...

i heard that too...
enjoy Malta!

BrotherIron
08-01-2009, 03:23 AM
The comp is going to be thick and it may be too close to call an outright winner.

I would love to see someone from the US win it.

StretchTrapjaw
08-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Stretchtrapjaw - Welcome aboard! Look forward to your contributions.

Thanks. I am looking forward to getting involved more on here as time goes on. People have been very cool thus far.

Irish
08-04-2009, 09:32 AM

He may not be as conditioned as some of the other competitors but he's super strong and imo could possibly win.

StretchTrapjaw
08-04-2009, 11:41 AM

Good luck in Marta. It's going to be a hell of a contest this year. :popcorn:

StretchTrapjaw
08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Good luck in Marta. It's going to be a hell of a contest this year. :popcorn:
Sorry, I meant Malta.

robert da strongman
08-06-2009, 04:23 PM
World’s Strongest Man: Who’s Invited?
by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2009 IronMind

It’s the party everyone the strongman world wants to attend as once a year the World’s Strongest Man crew sets up shop, usually in an exotic location, with a series of challenges well suited to the tall, big and strong - a two-meter, 150-kg competitor who can manhandle huge stones and pull giant trucks at will is just one of the guys in this crowd of XXXLT-and-beyond bodies.

Strongman hits the big time at the World’s Strongest Man contest with major media coverage for the strongman contest that created the concept. Here, Bill Kazmaier (left) interviews Mariusz Pudzianowski (right) for ESPN at the 2008 MET-Rx World’s Strongest Man contest. Randall J. Strossen photo.

Mariusz Pudzianowski has qualified, by virtue of being the defending WSM champion, and IronMind has been told the following men have already qualified for the 2009 World’s Strongest Man, based on Giants Live, the official World’s Strongest man qualifying tour:

Brian Shaw
Derek Poundstone
Travis Ortmayer
Mikhail Koklyaev (injured)
Richard Skog
Mark Felix
Jarek Dymek
Stefan-Solvi Petursson

If you are a leading strongman competitor, or want to be recognized as one, the most important thing at this point is to get an invitation to the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest, and as part of the selection process, IronMind has been told by a reliable inside source that an IMG committee is developing the list of wild card invitations at this moment.

robert da strongman
08-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Dymek, Felix and Petursson: Looking Good at Giants Live . . . Ready for WSM

Giants Live is the official qualifying tour for the World’s Strongest Man contest and last weekend’s competition, the final stop in 2009, provided a sneak preview of who might do what at this year’s World’s Strongest Man contest.

First, here are the official final places and scores:

1. Jarek Dymek 64.5 points
2. Mark Felix 55
3. Stefan Solvi Petursson 46.5
4. Kevin Nee 45
5. Darren Sadler 43.5
6. Laurence Shahlaei 28
7. Sławomir Łukawski 18
8. Konstantyn Ilin 16.5
9. Damian Antoniok 15
10. Rob Frampton 13
11. Rolands Gulbis 6
12. Tarmo Mitt 6

Even more telling is the story behind the numbers and for that IronMind was fortunate to get some comments directly from Giants Live founder Colin Bryce.

“Dymek looked like he did six or seven years ago,” Bryce told IronMind, which is a heads-up for World’s Strongest Man competitors. “He is very hungry to make yet another [WSM] final.”

“It was good to see Mark Felix on top form again - winning the deadlift with ease,” Bryce said of the man with an unworldly combination of grip strength and back strength. “Kevin Nee may well have won the whole contest but a terrible performance in the tyres caused him to go backwards in the overall results,” Bryce reported to IronMind, speaking of a perennial crowd favorite. On a related note, Bryce told IronMind, “WSM competitors who are a little nervous of their biceps will be pleased to hear that Tyre Flip has been ruled out of WSM this year as too many biceps have been torn off in that event recently.”

Last, but certainly not least, is the young Icelander Stefan Solvi Petursson and his talents caught Bryce’s eye: “Stefan Solvi Petersson has come of age, too. The 23-year old Icelander is a good bet to make the WSM finals this year.”

robert da strongman
08-06-2009, 04:24 PM
World’s Strongest Man 2009: More on the Competitors

In addition to those strongmen who have already qualified for the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest, IronMind is hearing that “the top five from Strongman Champions League have been taken into account,” which we understand to mean that they might already have been earmarked for this A-list strongman event.

IronMind has heard the rumor that Zydrunas Savickas has been invited, but we have not been able to confirm that. We have also heard that Ervin Katona might be making his debut at this year’s World’s Strongest Man contest, but that would be contingent upon his being “fit in time.”

Someone close to the decision makers told IronMind, “World’s Strongest Man has never stopped the world’s best strongmen from going to WSM and now that the world of strongman is getting much closer, it appears that we will be able to have every top athlete in the world there [this year].”

Always exciting and fun, World’s Strongest Man 2009 promises to be the best one yet.

robert da strongman
08-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Zydrunas Savickas: “Yes” on World’s Strongest Man

Just in from Zydrunas Savickas: “Yes, I was invited to WSM.”

He’s just plane strong: Zydrunas Savickas, widely considered the strongest man on the strongman circuit and often spoken of when people discuss the strongest men in the world, ever, has been invited to the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest. Photo courtesy of Lina Kirkliauskaite.

“Training is going very well,” Savickas added. “On 15 August I will have Lithuanian Strongest Man.”

Mirko Cro Cop
08-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Good to see Mark Felix is qualifed!

tjoe
08-06-2009, 10:04 PM
BIG Z!
looks like we have ourselves a parTAY!

robert da strongman
08-06-2009, 10:09 PM
BIG Z!
looks like we have ourselves a parTAY!

this will be an impressive WSM.

Thad
08-07-2009, 07:54 AM
This is going to be the first true WSM in a long time.

BrotherIron
08-07-2009, 11:26 AM
This is going to be one HELLUVA competition to watch.

buckimscl
08-07-2009, 11:35 AM
When does it start?

robert da strongman
08-07-2009, 05:12 PM
When does it start?

september 12 i think. but it wont air on espn till xmas.

robert da strongman
08-19-2009, 03:52 PM
2009 World’s Strongest Man Contest: The Events

Although always subject to change, here are the events for the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest.

Qualifying Events:

Medley
Fingal’s Fingers
Conan’s Wheel
Squat Lift
Deadlift
Dumbbell Press
Keg Toss
Truck Pull
Atlas Stones

Final Events:

Giant Farmer’s Walk
Fingal’s Fingers
Deadlift Hold
Overhead Lift with Axle
Boat Pull (arm over arm)
Plane Pull (harness and rope)
Atlas Stones

Stay tuned for more details.

toddbz
08-19-2009, 05:47 PM
I love the boat pull. Haven't seen that one in a while.

robert da strongman
08-19-2009, 06:02 PM
I love the boat pull. Haven't seen that one in a while.

last time they did it was malta!

toddbz
08-19-2009, 06:21 PM
last time they did it was malta!

I think I remember that one! Up the launch ramp right?

robert da strongman
08-19-2009, 06:32 PM
I think I remember that one! Up the launch ramp right?

correct!
always thought that was the coolest event

Thad
08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Big Z could be in trouble in the finals, with the 3 grip challenges.

Ryan Bracewell
08-19-2009, 11:44 PM

Z will be one of the larger competitors which usually translates to less cardio ability, however, Im sure even Travis would agree that Z is outright the strongest person in the competition. The additional strength will allow him to rep out most of the events even if the cardio is not as good.

That being said Im routing for my boy Ortmayer. These events suit his strengths well and I know his training has been going well.

maggieh
08-28-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm looking for the details of the WSM 09 - where exactly in Malta and how do I get spectator tickets - are they difficult to get?
Time's getting on and the WSM website has only the basic info and I fear i won't get info in time to organise trip.
Can anyone advise me?

Thanks

Maggieh

robert da strongman
09-08-2009, 06:23 PM
http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/index.php

new website.
check out the shirts in the store!

ebfitness
09-15-2009, 03:54 PM
I talked to Bill Kazmaier this past Sat. in Norfolk, VA. He thinks Mariusz might not even make top 3 this year.

Ryan Bracewell
09-15-2009, 03:58 PM
I talked to Bill Kazmaier this past Sat. in Norfolk, VA. He thinks Mariusz might not even make top 3 this year.

Anything is possible, but I would not put any money on him falling out of top 3.

BrotherIron
09-15-2009, 05:06 PM
http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/index.php

new website.
check out the shirts in the store!

$40 for a t-shirt is crazy pricey imho. Call me cheap but I'll stick to my $6 Inzer T's and the shirt I get at SS's fights.

Irish
09-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Id like to see Mark Felix do well

tjoe
09-15-2009, 09:15 PM
I've heard some say Mariusz won't make top 5!
Time will tell...

artificialaspirations
09-15-2009, 09:21 PM
I thought he wasn't going to compete. Anyway this is great news. I wouldn't count him out, he is very fast and will accel in farmers walk, fingers and stones. I love the keg toss when the competitiors do it from their initial locations.

I can't wait to see the competition. Looks like Nee placed pretty high too.

Dan_Manslaughter
09-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Anything is possible, but I would not put any money on him falling out of top 3.

I agree man. Pudz is one man I would not want to underestimate.

tjoe
09-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Nee got an invite... he failed to qualify at his last show.

robert da strongman
09-17-2009, 09:28 AM
PYgmGnt_3n8&feature

cook
09-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks for posting that, man that`s cool as Hell.I`ve been lifting in the gym since I was 17{ I`m 50 now} and I want to add some strongman type training and that video gives me some good ideas for exercises to do.Thanks again

BrotherIron
09-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for posting that, man that`s cool as Hell.I`ve been lifting in the gym since I was 17{ I`m 50 now} and I want to add some strongman type training and that video gives me some good ideas for exercises to do.Thanks again

Yeah big bump to that. That vid was veru motivational. I would love to have someone to train SM with so I could make my Sat an events day.

robert da strongman
09-26-2009, 02:18 PM
if anyone forgot WSM started....

looks like poundstone leads in his heat. pfister keeping marius in 2nd, and ortmayer is in third in his heat.

lilfella
09-26-2009, 02:20 PM
where are you getting the updates?

Ryan Bracewell
09-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Do you know how many events each group did today? I know its usually 2 a day.

robert da strongman
09-26-2009, 02:22 PM
where are you getting the updates?

ironmind....but wsm site has updates too.

Do you know how many events each group did today? I know its usually 2 a day.

think it is 2
i will check later

oh yeah looks like Andy Vincent is dominating the olympia strongman comp.

lilfella
09-26-2009, 02:23 PM
the new theworldsstrongestman.com website has all events/time but no updates yet
edit posted at same time ^^^^^

robert da strongman
09-26-2009, 02:24 PM
GROUP 1 - Squat & Dumbell
Athlete Country
Derek Poundstone USA
Jimmy Marku UK
Kevin Nee USA
Kostiantyn Ilin Ukraine
Louis-Philippe Jean Canada
Sebastian Wenta Poland

GROUP 2 - Deadlift & Keg Toss
Athlete Country
Brian Shaw USA
Mark Felix UK
Marshall White USA
Martin Wildauer Austria
Stefan Solvi Petursson Iceland
Zydrunas Savickas Lithuania

GROUP 3 - Deadlft & Dumbell
Athlete Country
Alexander Klyushev Russia
Darren Sadler UK
Ervin Katon Serbia
Jimmy Laureys Belgium
Mariusz Pudzianowski Poland
Phil Pfister USA

GROUP 4 - Squat & Keg Toss
Athlete Country
Agris Kazelniks Latvia
Ettiene Smit South Africa
Johannes Arsjo Sweden
Laurence Shahlae UK
Richard Skog Norway
Travis Ortmayer USA

GROUP 5 - Deadlift & Keg Toss
Athlete Country
Andrus Murumets Estonia
Christian Savoie Canada
Dave Ostlund USA
Florian Trimpl Germany
Jarek Dymek Poland
Terry Hollands UK

lilfella
09-26-2009, 02:24 PM
I found it thanks Rob

robert da strongman
09-26-2009, 02:26 PM
http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/blog.php

results there

Ryan Bracewell
09-26-2009, 02:29 PM
oh yeah looks like Andy Vincent is dominating the olympia strongman comp.

ya, I gotta root for my boy andy. Besides the fact that he has become one of my best friends over the past 2 years, he has turned me into the Jay Cutler of NAS. We both started strongman at the same contest, and he competed with me at every contest i did, except 08 nats, and because of him I have a nice collection of 2nd place trophies. Im just glad he is doing so well as a pro because now I know i was beat by someone good. haha

robert da strongman
09-26-2009, 02:34 PM
ya, I gotta root for my boy andy. Besides the fact that he has become one of my best friends over the past 2 years, he has turned me into the Jay Cutler of NAS. We both started strongman at the same contest, and he competed with me at every contest i did, except 08 nats, and because of him I have a nice collection of 2nd place trophies. Im just glad he is doing so well as a pro because now I know i was beat by someone good. haha

sounds like he is beating some seasoned pros too!
well now its your turn...get that card!!

robert da strongman
09-26-2009, 06:15 PM
WSM Qualifiers: Truck Pull Winners

Unofficially, here are the winners of the Truck Pull at the World’s Strongest Man (WSM) qualifiers today.

Group 1: Derek Poundstone
Group 2: Brian Shaw
Group 3: Phil Pfister
Group 4: Laurence Shahlei
Group 5: Terry Hollands

With the first day of WSM qualifiers completed, there were no big surprises and “things went pretty much as expected,” a well-qualified observer told IronMind.

Although it’s a bit early to say for sure, there was a sense today that one of the key matchups in the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest has already come to light and it pits Brian Shaw against Zydrunas Savickas.

The action resumes tomorrow, with Squat, Fingal’s Fingers and the Car Walk.

robert da strongman
09-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Sunday 27th Sep 18:49:07

Todays heats event breakdown by group and events!!

Squat Lift Winners

Group 1 – Jimmy Marku

Group 4 – Laurence Shahlaei

Dead Lift Winners

Group 3 – Darren Sadler

Group 5 – Terry Hollands

Group 2 – Mark Felix

Car Walk Winners

Group 4 – Larence Shahlaei

Group 1 - Derek Poundstone

Group 3 – Phil Pfister

Overall placing after today’s results as the contest progresses

Group 1 – Derek Poundstone overall leader

Group 2 – Zydrunas Savickas now leads by 1 point

Group 3 – Maruisz Pudzainowski now leads Phil Pfister by 1 point

Group 4 – Laurence Shahlaei leading after winning both of todays events

Group 5 – Terry Hollands remains in the lead

More updates after tomorrows events

Regards

WSM Team

smj091977
09-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Since no one else has put this up yet...
Monday 28th Sep 19:47:35

Today's updates from Malta

Dumbbell Press

Group 1

Derek Poundstone continuing to stay strong winning this event. Louis Philippe Jean and Kostiantyn llin fighting it out for 2nd place in tomorrows Atlas Stones event.

Group 3

A group of draws today in Malta with Phil Pfister and Alexander Klyushev in joint first place. Darren Sadler (UK) in 2nd place and both Mariusz Pudzianowski and Ervin Katona finished this event in joint 4 position. Group 3 continuing to be a battle for first place...

Fingals Fingers

Group 2

Zydrunas Savickas won this event with Brian Shaw placed in 2nd

Group 5

Dave Ostland won this event

Group Positions after day 3 of the heats

Group 1 - Derek Poundstone (USA) 10 points clear in the lead

Group 2 - Zydrunas Savickas (Lithuania) leads by 2 points over Brian Shaw (USA)

Group 3 - Another move in the leader with Phil Pfister (USA) taking the lead over Mariusz Pudzianowski (Poland)

Group 4 - Remains unchanged with Laurence Shahlaei (UK) leading the group with both the Keg Toss and Atlas Stones in day 4

Group 5 - Terry Hollands (UK) remains leader in this group

Keep you updated from Malta

WSM Team

tjoe
09-28-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20090927/local/strongest-man

Check out this interview with POUNDSTONE.
He is currently 1st! in his qualifying group with a lead of 10 points! (assured a spot in finals)
Weighing in at 330 pounds (largest he has ever competed at)
side note: His Birthday today... 28 I think.

robert da strongman
09-28-2009, 04:54 PM
freaking sweet!

tjoe
09-28-2009, 07:25 PM
kinda :)
did I mention 330!

robert da strongman
09-29-2009, 11:54 AM
kinda :)
did I mention 330!

my god he was huge!!

robert da strongman
09-29-2009, 11:54 AM
World’s Strongest Man: Last Day of the Qualifiers

With only ten slots available, the world’s top strongmen are down to the last day of the qualifying round at the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest.

With hot weather, great action and a field seen as the best ever, action at the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest has been tremendous by all accounts.

Brian Shaw going head to head with Zydrunas Savickas continues to be much talked about and their blazing performances in the Fingal’s Fingers was dramatic to say the least.

Andrus Murumets, tipped as an early favorite for the podiumn, “started really strong, but a surprising let down in his deadlift could well allow Dave Ostlund and Terry Hollands to go through from that group,” IronMind was told. “They have kegs and stones today and it’s going to be difficult for Andrus to hang on to second position.” Terry Hollands lead that group.

Phil Pfister and Mariusz Pudzianowski, both World’s Strongest Man winners, are said to be going through from their group, but this is unofficial. Pfister has won four events, IronMind heard, and Pudzianowski “is yet to win an event in their heat.” Darren Sadler produced a big performance in the deadlift.

Speaking of the deadlift, the Brits have done tremendously in the deadlift as well as the squat.

Between being sick and having a blown squat suit, Travis Ortmayer has had some bad luck, but it’s not over until it’s over

Thad
09-29-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm looking for Phil Pfister to do alot of damage in the finals. He won 5 out of the 6 events and posted the fasest time on the stones.

robert da strongman
09-30-2009, 07:38 AM
World’s Strongest Man: The Finalists

2006 World’s Strongest Man Phil Pfister reportedly posted the fastest time on the Atlas Stones, and is on his way to the finals.

So are 5-time World’s Strongest Man winner Mariusz Pudzianowski, not to mention Zydrunas Savickas, Brian Shaw, Laurence Shahlaei, Travis Ortmayer, Derek Poundstone, Louis-Philippe Jean, Terry Hollands and Dave Ostlund.

Much has been said of Brian Shaw’s very strong showing and the relentless power of Zydrunas Savickas, but today added more exclamation points as Pfister capped off his qualifiers with yet another win (netting victories in five of the six events) in the group where Mariusz Pudzianowski was shut out. Derek Poundstone came in as a big favorite for top honors, but he wasn’t able to load the final stone today - adding another dimension to pre-contest bets. And Travis Ortmayer, all but written off as dead and buried, well, his obituary was a little premature.

It’s onward and upward now, so stay tuned for the finals of the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest: Continue to follow the highlights each day on the official World’s Strongest Man website as well as on the IronMind News and the IronMind Twitter account.

robert da strongman
09-30-2009, 07:39 AM
brian shaw is the dark horse in this....
if he hasnt burnt out he might make the podium

tjoe
09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Here are the ten athletes going to the finals:

From group 1
Derek Poundstone
Louie Phillipe Jean

Group 2
Brian Shaw
Zydrunas Savickas

Group 3
Mariusz Pudzianowski
Phil Pfister

Group 4
Laurence Shahlaei
Travis Ortmayer

Group 5
Dave Ostlund
Terry Hollands

smj091977
09-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Don't know if anyone has posted this somewhere else, but I thought it was pretty interesting. One of the strongest men in the world, with a mastery of of martial arts and his apparent Cocaine habit = the scariest guy ever!
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/09/15/5x-worlds-strongest-man-mariusz-pudzianowski-set-for-mma-debut/

smj091977
09-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Here are the ten athletes going to the finals:

From group 1
Derek Poundstone
Louie Phillipe Jean

Group 2
Brian Shaw
Zydrunas Savickas

Group 3
Mariusz Pudzianowski
Phil Pfister

Group 4
Laurence Shahlaei
Travis Ortmayer

Group 5
Dave Ostlund
Terry Hollands

Been pretty interesting the last few years with so many competing from the US! Before Jesse's second placing in '05 and Phil winning in '06, it had been what, late 80's when Kaz came back, since the US made the podium?

tjoe
09-30-2009, 11:48 AM
now we got 5 guys aiming for it!
can't wait to SEE it in Dec...

tjoe
10-01-2009, 08:54 AM
after 2 events:
BIG Z 17 points
Derek 15 points
Pudz 15 points

AWESOME battle!

smj091977
10-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Kick Ass!
I thought they didn't start the comp until Oct 3 rd for some reason... I won't have to wait after all, sweet!

robert da strongman
10-01-2009, 10:35 AM
who said Z cant do WSM??

haha!!!

Northman
10-01-2009, 11:47 AM
I watch this every year, these guys are crazy.

I hope Mariuz takes it, he is a riot to watch.

tjoe
10-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Plane Pull
1. Hollands
2. Savickas
3. Shaw
4. Ortmayer
5. Pudzianowski
6. Poundstone

After 3 events
1. Big Z 26
2. Pudzian 21
3. Derek 20

Mirko Cro Cop
10-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Zydrunas with a 5 point lead already? I'm intregued to see how Mariuz and Derek respond to that in the coming events.

robert da strongman
10-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Z is pulling away....

buckimscl
10-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Z is a beast.

lilfella
10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
who said Z cant do WSM??

haha!!!
Gotta give you credit Rob. I thought Poundstone would be holding the lead, but it aint over yet. :beerbang:

tjoe
10-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Next events:

Axle - great event for both Z and Derek, should be interesting
Boat Pull - Not so sure any 1 athlete really excels here (not done much)
Car Deadlift - Hmm, again with Z and Derek
Stones - Dereks nightmare since last year...

Side note: Shaw is only .5 behind Derek right now!! SO, big Z is comfy up in 1st place with a couple good events for him coming up... but 2nd, 3rd and 4th are CLOSE!

Mirko Cro Cop
10-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Is there any chance you could post up the full standings?

tjoe
10-01-2009, 03:04 PM
all I have right now is:

Z - 26
Pudz - 21
Derek - 20
Shaw - 19.5

This is after 3 events

Mirko Cro Cop
10-01-2009, 03:06 PM
all I have right now is:

Z - 26
Pudz - 21
Derek - 20
Shaw - 19.5

This is after 3 events

Ah ok, i'm curious to know how the Brits are doing.

robert da strongman
10-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Ah ok, i'm curious to know how the Brits are doing.

terry hollands won the plane pull

toddbz
10-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm quite surprised the Z is doing that well with the speed/endurance most the WSM require. Yeah i know he's one strong MF but you really don't get to see him go fast.

smj091977
10-01-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm quite surprised the Z is doing that well with the speed/endurance most the WSM require. Yeah i know he's one strong MF but you really don't get to see him go fast.

Hate to disagree but that's not true at all. In ifsa he had the yoke record for 1100lbs (i think) in a sub 10 second time. Thats speed! He's a beast! No disrespect for my brother in blue, Derek, but Z is my favorite to win this year. Though I won't be disappointed if Derek pulls out the win!

toddbz
10-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Hate to disagree but that's not true at all. In ifsa he had the yoke record for 1100lbs (i think) in a sub 10 second time. Thats speed! He's a beast! No disrespect for my brother in blue, Derek, but Z is my favorite to win this year. Though I won't be disappointed if Derek pulls out the win!

Oh man that is true! Good catch.
Just seems like WSM has more events that require endurance that brute strength like IFSA.

robert da strongman
10-02-2009, 10:32 AM

like smj said....he can move.
dont forget he has been on the WSM podium

robert da strongman
10-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Zydrunas Savickas Maintains His Lead at 2009 World’s Strongest Man Contest

Malta - It was considered a crucial day at the World’s Strongest Man contest because the mix of events was likely to have a big impact on the standings so far - one thing that did not change, though, was Zydrunas Savickas’s position as the leader.

http://ironmind.com/ironmind/export/sites/default/ironmind/brian_wsmboat_lg.jpg
Proving his strength, Brian Shaw ripped through the Boat Pull at the World’s Strongest Man contest today, moving into third place overall. Randall J. Strossen photo.

Even if his margin was cut into today, Zydrunas Savickas is still at the head of the pack in the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest; five-time World’s Strongest Man winner Mariusz Pudzianowski remains in second place, but Brian Shaw is now in third place, overall.

There were two events today, the Overhead Lift and the Boat Pull. Savickas won the Overhead lift, with Derek Poundstone and Mariusz Pudzianowski tying for second place, and Travis Ortmayer coming in third. The Boat Pull was expected to shake things up, and what it did was both showcase Brian Shaw, who won the event in a most dramatic manner, and solidify Zydrunas Savickas’s position as the man to beat for this year’s title. Mariusz Pudzianowski was second in the Boat Pull and and Travis Ortmayer was third.

The action continues tomorrow, the final day, with the Deadlift and the Atlas Stones. Follow the action with updates on the official World’s Strongest Man website, the IronMind News and the IronMind Twitter page. And even if you couldn’t make it to Malta in person for the 2009 World’s Strongest Man contest, there is contest merchandise available from the official World’s Strongest Man shop.

Thad
10-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Savickas wins WSM 2009

1. Zydrunas Savickas
2. Mariusz Pudzianowski
3. Brian Shaw

artificialaspirations
10-03-2009, 11:41 AM
sounds like a great comp. Can't wait till it airs.

smj091977
10-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Savickas wins WSM 2009

1. Zydrunas Savickas
2. Mariusz Pudzianowski
3. Brian Shaw

Man, Sucks that Poundstone missed the podium this year! Was the weight gain a hindrance more than a help?
I am glad to see the Title is accurate for the first time in years though. Z is the worlds strongest man hands down. Pudzianowski's title was tarnished the last few years due to the big split off of IFSA. The Big Z looks like he's dropped a bit of weight, probably helped his conditioning.

tjoe
10-03-2009, 04:45 PM
- can't wait to see it on TV
- interested on what Derek says about the comp
- Big Z IS the man when strength is in question... He won:WSM, Fortissimus, Arnold and IFSA Worlds. There is NO question to his abilities!

Mr Incredible
10-03-2009, 04:51 PM
http://blogs.rep-am.com/off_the_record/?p=553

Thad
10-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Man, Sucks that Poundstone missed the podium this year! Was the weight gain a hindrance more than a help?
I am glad to see the Title is accurate for the first time in years though. Zis the worlds strongest man hands down. Pudzianowski's title was tarnished the last few years due to the big split off of IFSA. The Big Z looks like he's dropped a bit of weight, probably helped his conditioning.
Yeah, I was really surprised Poundstone didn't get on the podium. It just adds fuel to his fire.

Big Z proved he is one of the all-time greats.

Thad
10-03-2009, 09:27 PM
- can't wait to see it on TV
- interested on what Derek says about the comp
- Big Z IS the man when strength is in question... He won:WSM, Fortissimus, Arnold and IFSA Worlds. There is NO question to his abilities!
Christmas Day:yep:

Gerb
10-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I am glad to see the Title is accurate for the first time in years though. Zis the worlds strongest man hands down. Pudzianowski's title was tarnished the last few years due to the big split off of IFSA. The Big Z looks like he's dropped a bit of weight, probably helped his conditioning.

Pud beat him head up in 02 and 03. I'd hardly call it tarnished. Debatable in the since that "is there stronger guy not competing in the WSM comp?". Sure, that was obviously debatable with Z out, but tarnished, no way.

And in 04 when he beat Pud, he still failed to win and finished 2nd.

No arguement about the present, Z is the man!

BrotherIron
10-03-2009, 11:10 PM
All you have to do is look at Z's resume and it speaks volumes. Quite honestly, is there anything he hasn't won? I would have to say Z is the best of our time.

robert da strongman
10-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Pud beat him head up in 02 and 03. I'd hardly call it tarnished. Debatable in the since that "is there stronger guy not competing in the WSM comp?". Sure, that was obviously debatable with Z out, but tarnished, no way.

pudz wouldnt have 5 titles if Z stayed. he dominated IFSA during that time and did something pudz couldn't win the arnold...which is insanely heavier than wsm. pudz got his ass handed to him there and wont compete there anymore. he also avoids fortissimus.
my opinion there are far greater all around strongmen out there...poundstone, Z, and ortmayer.

artificialaspirations
10-04-2009, 11:41 AM
my opinion there are far greater all around strongmen out there...poundstone, Z, and ortmayer.

and still he got second

robert da strongman
10-04-2009, 11:50 AM
and still he got second

and think the others competed in the grand prixs, fortissimus, and the arnold
pudz isnt the greatest he just chooses the easy route.

smj091977
10-04-2009, 02:12 PM

Maybe Tarnished isn't the right word exactly, but its as close as I could come up with. You had the man winning every other strength competition championship, not allowed to compete at WSM. You also had the WSM winner losing badly at the arnold.

pudz wouldnt have 5 titles if Z stayed. he dominated IFSA during that time and did something pudz couldn't win the arnold...which is insanely heavier than wsm. pudz got his ass handed to him there and wont compete there anymore. he also avoids fortissimus.
I agree. Pudzianowski excels is strength endurance, not Brute strength. There are others who can just go out and push whatever weight may come. No disrespect to Travis, he is majorly strong, but I think he falls more in the strength endurance category too.

and think the others competed in the grand prixs, fortissimus, and the arnold
pudz isnt the greatest he just chooses the easy route.
More the sure thing, than easy.

ebfitness
10-04-2009, 03:25 PM
I stated this on another thread but it's worth repeating, I've been waiting for Z to win WSM since 2002! It's about time!! I was afraid I'd never see it happen.

Loki
10-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Savickas wins WSM 2009

1. Zydrunas Savickas
2. Mariusz Pudzianowski
3. Brian Shaw

Goood for Z he is strong!

HITstrongman
10-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Does anyone know what the rest of the placings were? Curious to see were Poundstone and Ortmayer finished in the pack.

Ryan Bracewell
10-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Does anyone know what the rest of the placings were? Curious to see were Poundstone and Ortmayer finished in the pack.

lbstone = 4
Ortmayer = 5

havent heard beyond that....think hollands was 6 but not sure

Irish
11-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Very happy for Zydrunas
YouTube - World's Strongest Man 2009 Compilation

Gregzs
01-05-2010, 04:17 PM
http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/broadcast.php

Ryan Bracewell
01-06-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm hearing a rumor that there might not be a WSM in 2010. With the loss of MetRx as a sponsor and the gain in popularity of things like poker and bowling, WSM is getting less play on TV which means less money. And in the end, WSM is a TV show not a true contest. I hope that this doesn't happen but it would not surprise me.

Mirko Cro Cop
01-06-2010, 03:44 AM
I'm hearing a rumor that there might not be a WSM in 2010. With the loss of MetRx as a sponsor and the gain in popularity of things like poker and bowling, WSM is getting less play on TV which means less money. And in the end, WSM is a TV show not a true contest. I hope that this doesn't happen but it would not surprise me.

Surely it's popularity in Northern and Eastern Europe will keep it alive.