PDA

View Full Version : Fedor to Strikeforce, not UFC

-Z-
08-01-2009, 07:35 PM
sherdog.com

On the morning of negotiations with M-1 Global and Fedor Emelianenko, Dana White didn’t just wake with a good feeling. The UFC president says he knew he was going to sign the top-ranked heavyweight in the world.

“This is going to happen,” White said he told UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta. “It’s going to happen today. We’re going to make this thing happen.”

Days later, however, Emelianenko is back in Russia and still outside the UFC. White was adamant during a media conference call Friday that the fault belongs to M-1 Global.

“I was f---ing miserable, miserable … because we couldn’t make this deal,” White said. “I was so confident we were going to get this done because we were willing to do it. We were willing to make a deal at almost any cost.”

The “almost” involves co-promoting. White said he won’t do a deal that includes co-promotion, and M-1 Global President Vadim Finkelstein has said he won’t do one that excludes it.

“We built this business, this entire freaking industry,” White said. “How are they going to come in and help us co-promote? It’s basically them coming and saying, ‘We’ve got this guy and some people say he might be the best heavyweight in the world. So for that, we want half your business.’ Yeah, OK. That sh-t probably works in Russia. Not here.”

White added that the Fertittas’ gaming license would hinder co-promoting with M-1.

“People from other countries just don’t walk in and jump in business with the Fertitta brothers,” he said. “There has to be full background checks and all kinds of crazy sh-t. It doesn’t work that way. It’s impossible; it will never happen.”

Other than co-promotion, White said he had relented on previous sticking points such as allowing Emelianenko to compete in sambo tournaments. He characterized himself as “the nicest Dana ever” during negotiations and described his offer to Emelianenko as “amazing.” No figures were discussed, but White guaranteed the Russian would not be offered a better deal.

“He got offered a f---ing assload of money,” White said. “A ton of money, everything he wanted. He can go fight in sambo every f---ing Thursday night if he wants to. He can do everything he wanted to. We showed them nothing but respect.”

White sounded equal parts angry and exasperated Friday. He had said he didn’t want to discuss Emelianenko but then did numerous times over the hour-long call.

“It’s insanity to turn down a deal like this,” White said. “To turn down a deal like this, you don’t care about proving you’re the best in the world. You don’t want to fight the best in the world. You don’t care about money. How do you deal with something like that?”

Several times White reiterated that the door to a deal was still open, then he kind of closed it by saying he was over the deal and didn’t want to discuss Emelianenko anymore, then he opened it again by saying M-1 could call him right then and they could reach an agreement if they’d budge on co-promoting.

By the call’s end White was back to questioning Emelianenko’s status as the best in the world and wondering why the media cares so much about a heavyweight who will not challenge himself in the sport’s top promotion.

In that way, the UFC wagons have circled. Might as well. M-1’s are going round and round, too, and against everything Dana White was certain of when he woke one morning this week, Fedor Emelianenko is still not in the UFC.

ironwarrior22
08-01-2009, 08:59 PM
That's lame. Fool needs to fight lesnar.

chitownmscle
08-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Honestly I don't think it's Fedor himself but rather his managment stopping this deal from happening. They see a cash opportunity to go on and market on a proven commodity they have in Fedor but only if Dana gives them co-promotion. That is where the money is at and Dana and the owners of the UFC will not budge off that. They essential brought MMA back to the US in a strong way.

-Z-
08-01-2009, 09:31 PM
I really don't think this will happen.

chitownmscle
08-01-2009, 10:14 PM
That's lame. Fool needs to fight lesnar.

The only reason I hope this fight does happen is so it will shut up all the Brock fans out there talking about he is a great MMA champion.

-Z-
08-03-2009, 04:43 AM
Without Fedor there is no real competition for Brock right now.

Mr X
08-03-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm a Fedor fan but this shits gotten ridiculous.

Hey FEDOR fucking sign already...shit !

-Z-
08-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Him and his team are a bunch of greedy bastards.

Plates
08-03-2009, 10:33 AM
They are doing it smart though. Fedor has enough money to live comfortably without having to ever throw a fist again. If the UFC wants him, they will pay out the rectum for it.
I enjoy watching Fedor fight. I could care less if he's in the UFC or not. I hate to break it to Dana and all who follow him, but Brock Lesnar is a douche and Fedor does not need to fight him to determine who is the best. If you follow MMA or Fedor at all, you will know that he has nothing left to prove. Fedor is the best, period.

Lucas
08-03-2009, 11:48 AM
They are doing it smart though. Fedor has enough money to live comfortably without having to ever throw a fist again. If the UFC wants him, they will pay out the rectum for it.
I enjoy watching Fedor fight. I could care less if he's in the UFC or not. I hate to break it to Dana and all who follow him, but Brock Lesnar is a douche and Fedor does not need to fight him to determine who is the best. If you follow MMA or Fedor at all, you will know that he has nothing left to prove. Fedor is the best, period.

x2 well said, and for all the people saying Brock wont have anyone to fight now, theres some decent promise on the horizon. Cain Velasquez, Cheick Kongo, Shane Carwin, Shane Carwin, Shane Carwin..

Mirko Cro Cop
08-03-2009, 01:25 PM
He's just signed for Strikeforce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After last week’s negotiations with the UFC failed due to co-promoting demands, Fedor Emelianenko has instead signed a multi-fight deal with the UFC’s biggest competitor, Strikeforce.

The organization today announced it has signed Emelianenko (30-1) to a multi-fight deal that will have him fight under the Strikeforce banner in events co-headlined M-1 Global. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

No specific date has been determined for his first Strikeforce fight, but Emelianenko will make his promotional debut this fall on Showtime, according to today’s announcement.
Source: MMAJunkie

Mr X
08-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeh I just heard about the Strikeforce deal! shit i didn't think they had the cash.

heres a link (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/3/973848/fedor-emelianenko-signs-with)to the story

Plates
08-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Was a great move by him and his management I think.

The Big Sexy
08-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Just read that myself... I wonder why Dana doesn't want a cross promotion???

(Apology for my racist avatar - the moderators keep changing it)

chitownmscle
08-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Yeh I just heard about the Strikeforce deal! shit i didn't think they had the cash.

heres a link (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/3/973848/fedor-emelianenko-signs-with)to the story

They probably don't have the cash but are banking on Fedor to bring it in.

Dana does not want cross promotion because he wants total control over everything UFC. He is greedy just like everyone else with a huge ego to boot. If Dana loses a little bit of that control he feels his empire will crumble.

Now if Strikeforce can get a few more headliners with actual skill ie GSP and Anderson Silva to sign multi fight deals and can get decent PPV deals then the UFC has real competition. Until Strikeforce has the promotion of the UFC it will never be as big even if it has Fedor

-Z-
08-03-2009, 06:26 PM
He's just signed for Strikeforce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great, more of him fighting average opponents.

Ninja Loco
08-03-2009, 06:30 PM
It so much a non issue that I dont even know who Fedor is anymore. Why bother.

Mr X
08-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Great, more of him fighting average opponents.

Cmon in all honesty its not like the UFC is stacked with worthy opponents, Brock and Carwin are probably the best there so from that point of view he might just face other average fighters at Strikeforce

Fedor vs Brock would have been a huge PPV for the UFC money wise though and it would have been a real spectacle, oh well.

Mirko Cro Cop
08-04-2009, 11:00 AM
I'd rather see Fedor vs. Werdum, Fedor vs. Overeem and Fedor vs. Rogers than the potential match ups he could have in the UFC.

Yeah Lesnar vs. Fedor would be good but no other matchup would excite me.

Mr X
08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Sorry X, didn't mean edit your post, I was quoting and hit the wrong button.

trex257
08-05-2009, 02:43 AM
I don't think it is as much Fedor's fault as it is Vadim Finkelstein's. Finkelstein thinks he can come in a try to run the show with Dana and the Fertitta's and becuase Dana won't let that happen, Finkelstein tells Fedor to say no. The Russian people are funny in some ways; they don't trust too many outsiders and I am sure that Fedor would do whatever Finkelstein tells him to do. I seriously don't think that Fedor cares who he fights because he knows deep down that he will destroy any fighter he faces, even Lesnar. The problem is that more than anything, this is disrespectful of the millions of MMA fans around the world who love Fedor and want to see him fight the best in the world. Basically, Fedor not signing with the UFC was just a big fuck you to the fans. Even if it wasn't totally his own doing, the fans will probably never look at Fedor the same way again.

-BLP-
08-05-2009, 02:48 AM
i now hate fedor i wont be th only one

Plates
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
tisk tisk guys! This is management 101. And Dana is trying to play it into his favor as he always does. Lets back up and look at this From Fedors point of view.

1. Fedor is the fucking man, he doesnt need to fight any heavyweight shit bag the UFC has. They (Lesner, Kongo, etc) are not the "best in the world" as Dana says. Fedor has nothing to prove.

2. Fedor owns a nice chunk of M1 and now has specific rights to Strikeforce when he fights.

So the big question: Why would Fedor fight in the UFC with no copromotion and cash only? If Fedor fought in the UFC for cash, then all thats doing is competing against his own companies. Its pretty much a conflict of interest for him. Why would he fight for the UFC and make cash only, when he can fight for Strikeforce or M1 and double dip?!?

chitownmscle
08-05-2009, 05:33 PM
tisk tisk guys! This is management 101. And Dana is trying to play it into his favor as he always does. Lets back up and look at this From Fedors point of view.

1. Fedor is the fucking man, he doesnt need to fight any heavyweight shit bag the UFC has. They (Lesner, Kongo, etc) are not the "best in the world" as Dana says. Fedor has nothing to prove.

2. Fedor owns a nice chunk of M1 and now has specific rights to Strikeforce when he fights.

So the big question: Why would Fedor fight in the UFC with no copromotion and cash only? If Fedor fought in the UFC for cash, then all thats doing is competing against his own companies. Its pretty much a conflict of interest for him. Why would he fight for the UFC and make cash only, when he can fight for Strikeforce or M1 and double dip?!?

Ahhh someone else who understands why Dana does not want to copromote with Fedor. Fedor is a dream and a nightmare for a promoter. He is the best in the world, dream. He is smart enough not to get screwed over, nightmare

Mirko Cro Cop
08-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Looks like Strikeforce are forming an alliance with DREAM, so looks like he'll be back fighting in Japan where his career was made.

lilfella
08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Fedor has proved he is the best. Pride had the best fighters in the world and he beat them. He has no reason to fight in the UFC. Good for him

Sexybeast777
08-06-2009, 12:23 AM
The only one that can beat Fedor is Brock Lesnar

Plates
08-06-2009, 08:55 AM
The only one that can beat Fedor is Brock Lesnar
Please elaborate because I am laughing so hard i'm coughing up blood.

cobra
08-06-2009, 05:45 PM
I'd rather see Fedor vs. Werdum, Fedor vs. Overeem and Fedor vs. Rogers than the potential match ups he could have in the UFC.

Yeah Lesnar vs. Fedor would be good but no other matchup would excite me.

Well this sux. Fedor Brock would be HUGE! I'd also like to see Fedor fight Kongo and Vasquez..oh well, fucker.