- 2007 IFPA Yorton Cup Professional Champion

- 2007 PNBA Natural Olympia Champion

- 2007 IFPA Yorton Cup Professional Champion

- 2008 PNBA Professional Team USA Champion

- 2008 PNBA Natural Olympia Champion

AVBG
08-02-2009, 03:20 AM
Hey Philip, thanks coming to RX Muscle!

What are your competitive plans for the near future?

Kiyoshi Moody
08-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Welcome aboard big dogg!!!!

MsGuns
08-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Welcome Philip! YAY, another NGA/IFPA Pro!
How many tours have you had to Iraq?
When is this one over and have you done anything bodybuilding related over there?

7_Deadly_Sins
08-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Philip, first, thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

What does your off season diet, training and cardio look like?
Any key supplements for your natty bros you feel really make a difference?

What are the biggest mistakes you feel nattys make?
What are your best 12 or 5 or w/e reps for squats, DL, bench, military etc
And finally, any advice just in general for everyone?

Philip Ricardo
08-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey Philip, thanks coming to RX Muscle!

What are your competitive plans for the near future?

------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, its great to be here, and to see so many of the competitors and friends that I have spent most of my competitive career touring with. Its an honor to be given a thread on this forum, and big props to everyone on here thats been doing it the "hard" way, and the right way.

Well currently, Im deployed to Iraq and I will return in Mid-October, just in time for my wife and I to have our second daughter together, so I will be taking this year off. I plan to compete next year, but havent mapped out which shows I plan to do. I am definitely looking to do most of the later IFPA shows and maybe look into doing the PNBA as well. I may get back into the NPC shows like the Team U. in a couple of years (after Kyoshi turns Pro :bowdown:). As for now, I just recently helped put on a show out here in Iraq and I guest posed for the troops out here...it was very motivating to see these competitors who dont get much time to train yet took there off duty time to learn about bodybuilding and step on stage...many of them for the first time...and now they are hooked! Here is the link for those interested:
http://www.dvidshub.net/?script=video/video_show.php&id=64447 (http://www.dvidshub.net/?script=video/video_show.php&id=64447)

Philip Ricardo
08-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Welcome aboard big dogg!!!!

Thanks bro, glad to be here. I was looking to send you an email about the USA's and the Team Universe and when I searched you I found this forum and its great to be here for sure! Keep doing your thing bro and raising the bar for the rest of us. I see you and JROD doing big things at the show and battling for the Overall this year! Its your time bro...:beerbang:

MsGuns
08-02-2009, 06:06 PM

Wow, its great to be here, and to see so many of the competitors and friends that I have spent most of my competitive career touring with. Its an honor to be given a thread on this forum, and big props to everyone on here thats been doing it the "hard" way, and the right way.

Well currently, Im deployed to Iraq and I will return in Mid-October, just in time for my wife and I to have our second daughter together, so I will be taking this year off. I plan to compete next year, but havent mapped out which shows I plan to do. I am definitely looking to do most of the later IFPA shows and maybe look into doing the PNBA as well. I may get back into the NPC shows like the Team U. in a couple of years (after Kyoshi turns Pro :bowdown:). As for now, I just recently helped put on a show out here in Iraq and I guest posed for the troops out here...it was very motivating to see these competitors who dont get much time to train yet took there off duty time to learn about bodybuilding and step on stage...many of them for the first time...and now they are hooked! Here is the link for those interested:
http://www.dvidshub.net/?script=video/video_show.php&id=64447 (http://www.dvidshub.net/?script=video/video_show.php&id=64447)

Good job on the show over there.

Philip Ricardo
08-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Welcome Philip! YAY, another NGA/IFPA Pro!
How many tours have you had to Iraq?
When is this one over and have you done anything bodybuilding related over there?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the welcome, and likewise...its always nice to see a Pro from the same organization here.

This is my 2nd tour over here in the past 2 years, so this has been my 2nd home since 2008 and I will return in mid October in time to witness my baby daughter being born. And here is what I did over here during my tour...I coached a few of the troops over here who were interested in competing and I helped organize the summer version of the Al Asad Championships just 3 weeks ago here in Iraq...here is the link to it:

Philip Ricardo
08-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Good job on the show over there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you...it was fun, and we may have a few possible OCB/NGA competitors coming out of here in the future. It definitely helped pass the time out here...it can be like Groundhogs day out here.

MsGuns
08-02-2009, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the welcome, and likewise...its always nice to see a Pro from the same organization here.

This is my 2nd tour over here in the past 2 years, so this has been my 2nd home since 2008 and I will return in mid October in time to witness my baby daughter being born. And here is what I did over here during my tour...I coached a few of the troops over here who were interested in competing and I helped organize the summer version of the Al Asad Championships just 3 weeks ago here in Iraq...here is the link to it:

your welcome
We met briefly at the Musclemania Superbody show in 06.
CONGRATS on your baby gurl!

Team Franco
08-02-2009, 07:01 PM
I just found this forum, and you pulled me out from lurking!

Thats too bad your not competing this fall, as it was a pleasure meeting you a couple year back. Your truley a pleasure to talk to.

Be well

Joe

Philip Ricardo
08-02-2009, 08:13 PM
your welcome
We met briefly at the Musclemania Superbody show in 06.
CONGRATS on your baby gurl!

Thank you very much. The Superbody was a great show...very tough! I miss Miami, but Im loving San Diego...cant wait to get home :)

Philip Ricardo
08-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I just found this forum, and you pulled me out from lurking!

Thats too bad your not competing this fall, as it was a pleasure meeting you a couple year back. Your truley a pleasure to talk to.

Be well

Joe

--------------------------------------------

Joe,
Welcome to the forum. It was great talking to you too, and I hope I will see you next year. You are a very stand up guy and you know your stuff! Whats next for you bro, are you going to do the Cape Cod and Yorton, or do you have other things in mind?

AVBG
08-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Hey Rico (can I call you that?) What are your stats (height/weight) for the people who don't know?
How heavy do you get in the off season? How would YOU rate your own genetics for bb compared to your Natural colleagues?

Neal Grossman
08-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Hey Rico,

Great to see you posting hear; even better to hear you will be home in October in time for your daughter's arrival.

I look forward to seeing you compete again. Watching you pose against Doug and Reemo at the Yorton Cup was the best display of onstage bodybuilding competition I have ever seen.

Neal

Philip Ricardo
08-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey Rico (can I call you that?) What are your stats (height/weight) for the people who don't know?
How heavy do you get in the off season? How would YOU rate your own genetics for bb compared to your Natural colleagues?

Of course you can call me Rico, and as far as my stats:
Ht: 69' (5ft. 9in)
Wt: 200lbs. offseason, 180lbs. contest

As far as genetics, I definitely wont complain. I have a very fast metabolism, even as I get up there in age (just turned 38 last week). However, and Im sure every bodybuilder in this forum would agree with me, you are never satisfied with your genetics and can always see another competitor and wish you were blessed with one or more of their bodyparts.
I believe that when it comes to conditioning I have been blessed with very good genetics, its just the size and fullness that I have to constantly work on when competing against the top Natural's out there. Still a work in progress...lol.
I think that is what keeps us in the gym training...trying to perfect our physiques to try to achieve what others have.

Philip Ricardo
08-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey Rico,

Great to see you posting hear; even better to hear you will be home in October in time for your daughter's arrival.

I look forward to seeing you compete again. Watching you pose against Doug and Reemo at the Yorton Cup was the best display of onstage bodybuilding competition I have ever seen.

Neal

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Neal,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I agree...that was a blast...it was one of the toughest and most competitive competitions Ive ever been in and the crowd and venue could not have been better.
Neal, congrats on your comps this year, and thank you for your letter you sent to me when I was out here last year. You are a great man, and a testament to longevity in this sport!:bowdown:

Team Franco
08-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks Rico!

I am going for the Cape this year, and if I hold up LOL, the Yorton in November.

Congrats on the baby! Having two little ones myself makes it a challenge to prep, but all worth it.

MsGuns
08-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Happy belated bday!!

Philip Ricardo
08-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks Rico!

I am going for the Cape this year, and if I hold up LOL, the Yorton in November.

Congrats on the baby! Having two little ones myself makes it a challenge to prep, but all worth it.

I know the feeling...thats why I need to wait till late next year.
You have to do both Joe...with your condition and symettry you will do well again...you shocked everybody at the Yorton...you always come in tight. Plus at the Yorton they were talking about doing the Pro Weight classes...you can make a killing if that happens!
All the best to you and your family too...they are the most important thing for sure.

Philip Ricardo
08-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Happy belated bday!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Gracias MsGuns! Sucks to spend it over here, but I did get lots of Fat food over here to celebrate with thanks to my wife and my unit getting all of the birthday Marines a big old cake! Thank goodness for offseason...lol.

MsGuns
08-02-2009, 10:06 PM
your welcome...
offseason is the best...my bday falls during my prep....darn!
I did the Yorton last yr and WoW what a show!!!...Matt did a great job, great judges too. They are were consist on what I needed to work on.
I have 2 shows lined up both on the same day. Either Ill be in Canada or DC/MD.

Philip Ricardo
08-03-2009, 12:03 AM
your welcome...
offseason is the best...my bday falls during my prep....darn!
I did the Yorton last yr and WoW what a show!!!...Matt did a great job, great judges too. They are were consist on what I needed to work on.
I have 2 shows lined up both on the same day. Either Ill be in Canada or DC/MD.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That sucks for you! The worst times to prep for shows are your Birthday and Thanksgiving (I did one the weekend of Thanksgiving....never again...lol).

Yes, Matt Shepley is an amazing guy. He has taken the OCB/IFPA to a whole new level with the number of shows he runs, the affiliations he has now with the BNBF, the African organizations, and also allowing anyone to compete as Pros. It has grown so large and the IFPA has champs from all the other Pro organizations making it the closest thing to bringing all Natural Pros to compete in one organzation.
I saw the last F&P magazine where they talk about you and your jaw dropping Lat spread!!! NICE

This year should be great as well...I wish I could be there...good luck in November.

MsGuns
08-03-2009, 12:15 AM

That sucks for you! The worst times to prep for shows are your Birthday and Thanksgiving (I did one the weekend of Thanksgiving....never again...lol).

Yes, Matt Shepley is an amazing guy. He has taken the OCB/IFPA to a whole new level with the number of shows he runs, the affiliations he has now with the BNBF, the African organizations, and also allowing anyone to compete as Pros. It has grown so large and the IFPA has champs from all the other Pro organizations making it the closest thing to bringing all Natural Pros to compete in one organzation.
I saw the last F&P magazine where they talk about you and your jaw dropping Lat spread!!! NICE

This year should be great as well...I wish I could be there...good luck in November.

Thx, that write up made me smile...WoW
Im hoping to have a great prep this time only doing one show this yr.

Philip Ricardo
08-03-2009, 01:44 AM
Philip, first, thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

What does your off season diet, training and cardio look like?
Any key supplements for your natty bros you feel really make a difference?

What are the biggest mistakes you feel nattys make?
What are your best 12 or 5 or w/e reps for squats, DL, bench, military etc
And finally, any advice just in general for everyone?

Sorry it took so long for me to reply to you, and its my pleasure to answer any questions. It may take me a while since my schedule out here is hectic...I work 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, but it could be worse, right?

- My diet looks like this during the offseason (I do cardio with my unit in the Marine Corps or I will do cardio about 3x per week, normally 20 minutes after my lunchtime workout):

0600 - 8 eggs (1-2 yolks) 1 bowl of oatmeal (enough for about 30-50 grams of carbs...about 1 cup) and a bananas.
0830 - protein shake (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/category/protein.html) with fruit or oatmeal, or a weight gainer shake.
1030 - 2 chicken breasts and 1 cup of brown rice and
1130 - Super Pump 250 preworkout drink and weight training.
1300 - (after workout) Cell Mass, then 30 minutes later a Protein shake (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/category/protein.html) with Glutamine (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/category/glutamine.html) and yams or white rice and gatorade or fruit drink.
1600 - 2 chicken breasts, 1-cup brown rice or yam.
1900 - 2 chicken breast or fish (tuna, salmon, or whatever you like w/out oil) and broccoli and or green beans or salad w/balsamic vinegar or lemon juice or Lean Sirloin or Flank Steak w/salad w/balsamic vinegar (eat Steak at least 2x per week.).
Bedtime - 1 scoop of protein powder (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/category/protein.html) and glutamine (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/category/glutamine.html) in water.
My key supps are Gaspari's Super Pump 250 and Cell Mass in the Offseason. I get the best training with Super Pump, and I even take it up to 2 weeks out from competition. Glutamine is excellent to preserve muscle while dieting and to help keep your natural Growth Hormone levels high. I still havent found that ultimate Fat burner yet, so I try whatever is new and is not banned by the organizations I compete in.

- Biggest mistake Natty's do would be being too impatient when it comes to muscle gains. Impatients leads to a lot of Natty's working out way to often and not setting up a good training split to optimize muscle growth and recovery. Its all about enjoying the process of training and appreciating the little gains as they come.

- Lastly, my best lifts all happened early in my career before minor aches, pains and injuries (age caught up to me) took a hold of me.

Bench Press: 365 x 1 (I dont bench anymore, use dumbells normally heaviest is 120lbs. for 4-6)
Deadlift: 435lbs. x 4 (even now)
Squat: 505 x 4 (now I dont go higher than 405 for 6-8 reps offseason).

Hopefully this fits the bill, but for any other info check out this site for more pics and tidbits:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/natural/athletes/philip-ricardo.html

7_Deadly_Sins
08-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks alot, I'll deff read that interview.

nutratroy
08-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Ric- San Diego? Were in Ventura...holla!!

MAn bro- great to see you here, get home soon.

Kiyoshi Moody
08-05-2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks bro, glad to be here. I was looking to send you an email about the USA's and the Team Universe and when I searched you I found this forum and its great to be here for sure! Keep doing your thing bro and raising the bar for the rest of us. I see you and JROD doing big things at the show and battling for the Overall this year! Its your time bro...:beerbang:

Gotta win the class first!!!!u know how it goes!!!!! the USA's are no joke bro. These guys are thick and hard. my look is completly different. I was happy just to stand up there next to the some of the best light heavies in the industry. But now its time for business!!!!! Let me know when u get here bro!!! Whats going on with my boy eddie bracamontes out there, hows he doing!!!!!

Philip Ricardo
08-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Gotta win the class first!!!!u know how it goes!!!!! the USA's are no joke bro. These guys are thick and hard. my look is completly different. I was happy just to stand up there next to the some of the best light heavies in the industry. But now its time for business!!!!! Let me know when u get here bro!!! Whats going on with my boy eddie bracamontes out there, hows he doing!!!!!

No doubt bro, you definitely held your own out there...My boy Cesar Medina put me on to Flex Online for the weigh in pics, and when I saw you on there I knew you were ready for battle and thought you had a good shot at that Top 5...I think its how things usually go with the USA's...pay your dues, keep improving, and you will move up the charts. You probably wont have to worry abut that if you take the TU...I know it will be a battle with you and Miguel Neil in your weight class, then again JROD and the Heavyweight for the Overall, but Im sure Dave P will get you right and you will be shredded like you were back in 1998 when we went at it, but of course now you are 15 pounds heavier! :bowdown:

Philip Ricardo
08-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh, and I havent seen Eddie over here this time...he must be at another Base. I have to see if I can get a hold of him somehow and tell him you say whats up. He is a big dude, and it was nice training with him last year...it made my tour here go by in without me losing too much.
Anyway bro, when I get back we have to hook up for reals!!!

gmta99
08-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey good luck over there, i was in Ar-Ramadi in 05-06 (army) stationed with 2nd Marine Div.

jrod
08-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Philip,

Just wanted to stop by and say welcome to the boards here. Looking forward to your posts. We met in 2006 at the Team Universe and I remember seeing you on stage and being impressed with your conditioning.

Take care,

--Jeff

Philip Ricardo
08-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Hey good luck over there, i was in Ar-Ramadi in 05-06 (army) stationed with 2nd Marine Div.

Thanks bro. We have a bunch of our Marines there now and the Army may be taking over soon. Fun times, but at least this will be the last one for me before I retire :beerbang:. Good to have a veteran on board as well, and thank you for serving during a very tough period and rough area at that time of the War!

Philip Ricardo
08-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Philip,

Just wanted to stop by and say welcome to the boards here. Looking forward to your posts. We met in 2006 at the Team Universe and I remember seeing you on stage and being impressed with your conditioning.

Take care,

--Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

You have moved up the charts quickly, and I do remember you...what stood out to me about you were your crazy ripped triceps and your classic physique...like Frank Zane in his Olympia winning days. You and Kyoshi are the two Natural Physiques that are running things at the Team Universe!
I have been looking at your Q&A briefly, but I will drop you a line on there when Im free since I think your training and diet could be similar to mine with your type of physique. I wish you continued success, and I know you will represent again this year at the TU and battle Kyoshi for the Overall!

Philip "Rico" Ricardo

MsGuns
08-11-2009, 12:58 AM
What would you tell a Natty who has trouble coming in lean? How do they fix that?

Philip Ricardo
08-11-2009, 01:13 AM
What would you tell a Natty who has trouble coming in lean? How do they fix that?

There are so many factors involved since everyone has different metabolisms, but on average the best advice I would give to most natural competitors is to look in the mirror and be critical of yourself.
What I mean is the mirror should be more important than the scale...a lot of natural competitors are focused on being a certain weight rather than trying to ensure that each muscle and detail is showing throughout your physique. If you look at the competitors that place high in shows, all of them are the ones who are the most ripped, not the ones that weigh the most. Of course you have to have muscle built first, but for the majority of us who have built that foundation, train hard, diet for a good 12-16 weeks, and get that cardio (even if you have a fast metabolism!). Then look in the mirror...if you arent lean everywhere; then you are not ready to get on stage and really battle for one of the top placings.

One final thing that I believe is to eat clean foods low in sugar, fat and sodium. A lot of bodybuilding diets still show foods that contain fats and some sugars, but if you really have a tough time getting lean then a stricter diet that strips all of these things will help get you lean easier.

Also check out my site here...hope this helps!

http://www.philipricardojr.com/Diets_Training.html

Hows life for you MsGunz...getting ready for the Cape and Yorton yet?
:yep:

MsGuns
08-11-2009, 01:19 AM

There are so many factors involved since everyone has different metabolisms, but on average the best advice I would give to most natural competitors is to look in the mirror and be critical of yourself.
What I mean is the mirror should be more important than the scale...a lot of natural competitors are focused on being a certain weight rather than trying to ensure that each muscle and detail is showing throughout your physique. If you look at the competitors that place high in shows, all of them are the ones who are the most ripped, not the ones that weigh the most. Of course you have to have muscle built first, but for the majority of us who have built that foundation, train hard, diet for a good 12-16 weeks, and get that cardio (even if you have a fast metabolism!). Then look in the mirror...if you arent lean everywhere; then you are not ready to get on stage and really battle for one of the top placings.

One final thing that I believe is to eat clean foods low in sugar, fat and sodium. A lot of bodybuilding diets still show foods that contain fats and some sugars, but if you really have a tough time getting lean then a stricter diet that strips all of these things will help get you lean easier.

Also check out my site here...hope this helps!

http://www.philipricardojr.com/Diets_Training.html

Hows life for you MsGunz...getting ready for the Cape and Yorton yet?
:yep:

Thx I was just curious...the head judge said I had a great physique but I wasnt lean enuff...I think I did too many shows (4) last yr and by the time I got to the Yorton my body wasnt responding...

My summer vacation ended Friday....so Im sad..smile

My prep starts in 2 wks but I dont know what show Im doing...
Im looking into another org in Canada they have a show the same day as the Yorton. Im in an online contest and on Sept 1st i will decide Canada or Yorton.

Diabetic Muscle
08-11-2009, 01:42 AM
How do you feel about training with a HIT routine? Like Yates not Mentzer. Example would be
Incline BB Press
*1x12
*1x8
1x10-12
Hammer Flat Press
*1x10
1x10-12
Incline DB Flye
*1x12-15
1x12-15
Cable Crossovers
1x15
(*denotes warmup)
Do you feel a natural can get as much effectiveness out of a routine like that then someone aided? I know training experience and ability to train with one set to true failure would also be key. Thanks for any advice.

Philip Ricardo
08-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Thx I was just curious...the head judge said I had a great physique but I wasnt lean enuff...I think I did too many shows (4) last yr and by the time I got to the Yorton my body wasnt responding...

My summer vacation ended Friday....so Im sad..smile

My prep starts in 2 wks but I dont know what show Im doing...
Im looking into another org in Canada they have a show the same day as the Yorton. Im in an online contest and on Sept 1st i will decide Canada or Yorton.

Ahh, nothing like end of vacation and the start of Chicken and brocolli boredom. good luck in either show, and hopefully you will get that leaness you are looking for. Maybe giving your body that rest will do the trick this year for you...plus 3 months of clean eating should get you right!

Philip Ricardo
08-11-2009, 07:43 PM
How do you feel about training with a HIT routine? Like Yates not Mentzer. Example would be
Incline BB Press
*1x12
*1x8
1x10-12
Hammer Flat Press
*1x10
1x10-12
Incline DB Flye
*1x12-15
1x12-15
Cable Crossovers
1x15
(*denotes warmup)
Do you feel a natural can get as much effectiveness out of a routine like that then someone aided? I know training experience and ability to train with one set to true failure would also be key. Thanks for any advice.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I do believe a natural can effectively use a routine like this and make big gains...especially if the natty is a hardgainer with a lot of detailed muscle already and wants to put on size to put on more dense muscularity. However, for those who are already large and have a hard time cutting down and getting lean I think that this routine may not be as effective since they tend to need more of a routine which uses more repetitions and less rest to etch in more detail and burn more bodyfat during their training, but that doesnt mean they shouldnt try it too...sometimes a new stimulus is just the shock the body needs to break plateus.
As a hardgainer, I used something similar to the HIT routine you metioned called DC training or "Doggcrap" training by Dante Trudel. I tried it in 2006-2007 and it worked great for me. Staying heavy and getting the stretch which recruited more muscle fibers by stretching the fascia allowed me to see more dense striated muscle than before. Its definitely worth a try!

MsGuns
08-15-2009, 02:25 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/Rx/RXMUSCLELOGO.jpg

Have you played Rx Muscle's trivia game, "Big J1 Daily Trivia Contest for Earned Shwag"? Here's this weekend's question:

For 1/4 point each, name any person or group who had MIC time at the original Woodstock festival. ONE GUESS ONLY. There are several bonus answers worth one point each!

If you're unfamiliar with the game, points can be "cashed in" for Species Nutrition t-shirts, protein, etc.

Click to play! (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=10228&page=144)

MsGuns
08-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Just doin a drive by...I hope all is well over there.

Philip Ricardo
08-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Just doin a drive by...I hope all is well over there.

Hey MsGuns. Its all good in the sandbox. I saw the pics of you with Krissy and Troy...looks like it was a blast out there...Im jealous. The O will be great this year...I will look for your expert play by play again!:yep:

MsGuns
08-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey MsGuns. Its all good in the sandbox. I saw the pics of you with Krissy and Troy...looks like it was a blast out there...Im jealous. The O will be great this year...I will look for your expert play by play again!:yep:

Thx I had fun hanging out and chatting w/ them...I hope I make it to the O...
It was cool putting the results in too...sitting on the front row and all.
Troy is a great guy and has helped me a lot.
Phillip where did you get the cover of F&P? OCB's website?

Philip Ricardo
08-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Thx I had fun hanging out and chatting w/ them...I hope I make it to the O...
It was cool putting the results in too...sitting on the front row and all.
Troy is a great guy and has helped me a lot.
Phillip where did you get the cover of F&P? OCB's website?
-------------------------------

Yes, it has it right on their homepage. I dont know when it comes out but Im assuming around October/November time frame. Matt does a great job with the Magazine!!!

"the ordinary man is involved in action; the Hero acts! There is an immense difference!"
Henry Miller

MsGuns
08-19-2009, 01:03 AM
-------------------------------

Yes, it has it right on their homepage. I dont know when it comes out but Im assuming around October/November time frame. Matt does a great job with the Magazine!!!

"the ordinary man is involved in action; the Hero acts! There is an immense difference!"
Henry Miller

oh ok...yes he does...thats a real mag.

MsGuns
08-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Natties were on TV 2night!!!!

Philip Ricardo
08-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Natties were on TV 2night!!!!

Really? What for? I dont get anything but Armed Forces news and occasional sports shows. :dunno:

MsGuns
08-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Seems like the INBF was the main focus...
Women in Bodybuilding on E! Channel - RX Muscle Forums

Philip Ricardo
08-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Seems like the INBF was the main focus...
Women in Bodybuilding on E! Channel - RX Muscle Forums (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=16597)

Nice!!! About time we start getting more publicity, and more focus on the non-drugged up look of Bodybuilding instead of the typical stereotypes of bodybuilding that we see. Plus its good to see the focus on females for once too. :yep:

MsGuns
08-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Nice!!! About time we start getting more publicity, and more focus on the non-drugged up look of Bodybuilding instead of the typical stereotypes of bodybuilding that we see. Plus its good to see the focus on females for once too. :yep:
I agree...I didnt see all of it but someone said they think they saw me.
I hope they have reruns.

Philip Ricardo
08-19-2009, 10:57 PM
I agree...I didnt see all of it but someone said they think they saw me.
I hope they have reruns.

Wow, congrats!!! E always has reruns...you should be able to TIVO it or something. Good stuff!!!

MsGuns
08-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Wow, congrats!!! E always has reruns...you should be able to TIVO it or something. Good stuff!!!

Dont get 2 excited, they saw we have a twin out there...lol
I did an INBF show in 06, seems like the show was recent.
I dont have TIVO...lol

fitcorps
08-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Philip, thanks for having this thread and being on Rx Muscle. I met you a few years ago in Florida when you won the NGA Pro Universe. I'm a good friend of Krissy and Troy and they introduced me to you and I have to say that you were very down to earth, good hearded, and funny and your physique was absolutely AMAZING!

I took 2nd in the MW at that show and later won my pro card. Last year I placed in the Pro U - my first pro show along with my 2 good friends Troy J. and Eric Broser. Your physique is certainly an inspiration and your posts on RX so far are true to your character.

Philip Ricardo
08-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Philip, thanks for having this thread and being on Rx Muscle. I met you a few years ago in Florida when you won the NGA Pro Universe. I'm a good friend of Krissy and Troy and they introduced me to you and I have to say that you were very down to earth, good hearded, and funny and your physique was absolutely AMAZING!

I took 2nd in the MW at that show and later won my pro card. Last year I placed in the Pro U - my first pro show along with my 2 good friends Troy J. and Eric Broser. Your physique is certainly an inspiration and your posts on RX so far are true to your character.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats Kyle, and thanks for the props. Im not good with names, but I do remember you from back then. Those were good times in Miami, and those were great shows. I wish I had the chance to be there on stage with you, TJ, and Eric! Im so happy for Troy and Krissy right now...its like living the dream in a big way! Whats next for you?

MsGuns
08-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Do yall get Versus over there? Bolt ran 19.19 in the 200m! dayum!

Philip Ricardo
08-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Do yall get Versus over there? Bolt ran 19.19 in the 200m! dayum!

--------------------------------------

Yeah, we just get to see CNN and the news and some Sportcenter too, and its crazy how fast that guy is...shattering his own record and leaving the competition in the dust!!! :hypno:

Doug
08-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Just found this place....nice site....

Rico, The Champ, great to see you on here. Hope all is going well for you and your family. Look forward to seeing you on stage again. You are certainly someone to aspire to.

Best,
Doug Miller

fitcorps
08-26-2009, 02:47 PM

Congrats Kyle, and thanks for the props. Im not good with names, but I do remember you from back then. Those were good times in Miami, and those were great shows. I wish I had the chance to be there on stage with you, TJ, and Eric! Im so happy for Troy and Krissy right now...its like living the dream in a big way! Whats next for you?

Troy and Krissy deserve the best!

I'm doing the NGA Universe again in November and possibly an NPC show just west of Chicago to re-qualify for Team U. I'm hoping Team U in 2010 as a solid Welter Weight...I've been 155 my last few times out and I know I need a solid 5-7 pounds to have the size for a competitive welter weight at the very least.

Philip Ricardo
08-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Just found this place....nice site....

Rico, The Champ, great to see you on here. Hope all is going well for you and your family. Look forward to seeing you on stage again. You are certainly someone to aspire to.

Best,
Doug Miller

Doug,

Welcome brother! All is good for me...I should be heading back home soon...just in time for another baby girl! :yep:
Are you and Steph competing this year...you need to take the Yorton Cup back from the Brits...lol!
Doug, you are one of the scariest and toughest bodybuilders to be on stage against and you improve each time...I dont believe there will be any competition for you at the rate you are going!

Someone needs to get Doug a thread ASAP!!! He has many fans and a lot of knowledge!

Rico

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is not an act but a habit"
- Aristotle

nutratroy
08-26-2009, 11:29 PM

Doug,

Welcome brother! All is good for me...I should be heading back home soon...just in time for another baby girl! :yep:
Are you and Steph competing this year...you need to take the Yorton Cup back from the Brits...lol!
Doug, you are one of the scariest and toughest bodybuilders to be on stage against and you improve each time...I dont believe there will be any competition for you at the rate you are going!

Someone needs to get Doug a thread ASAP!!! He has many fans and a lot of knowledge!

Rico

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is not an act but a habit"
- Aristotle

I agree.....we can make this a serious home for Natty's!!!!

Philip Ricardo
08-26-2009, 11:50 PM
I agree.....we can make this a serious home for Natty's!!!!

You know it Troy! This forum is growing in quality by the minute!:yep:

MsGuns
08-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Nice glutes n hammies in your avatar Phillip!

AVBG
08-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Nice glutes n hammies in your avatar Phillip!

That level of conditioning is unreal... BTW, I've sent Doug Miller a PM ;)

MsGuns
08-27-2009, 12:04 AM
That level of conditioning is unreal... BTW, I've sent Doug Miller a PM ;)

it is!!!...I hope to touch that kind of conditionin for my Nov 14th show...smile

AVBG
08-27-2009, 12:21 AM
it is!!!...I hope to touch that kind of conditionin for my Nov 14th show...smile

you can do it!

MsGuns
08-27-2009, 12:23 AM
you can do it!

Is that you AVBG? SWEET @$$ back shot!

AVBG
08-27-2009, 12:27 AM

that's me. thnks

Philip Ricardo
08-27-2009, 12:29 AM

---------------------------------------------------------

Yeah bro...sick back shot...all types of roads and tunnels and stuff! Thats conditioning. Ms. Guns you can make it happen and if you do those judges will put you in the mix for the top spot for sure if you do the Yorton!:yep:

MsGuns
08-27-2009, 12:34 AM
---------------------------------------------------------

Yeah bro...sick back shot...all types of roads and tunnels and stuff! Thats conditioning. Ms. Guns you can make it happen and if you do those judges will put you in the mix for the top spot for sure if you do the Yorton!:yep:

yeah I was pretty happy w/ what i had on stage and pretty stoked about what the head judge said..."great physique, If you would have came in as lean as 1st-3rd you would have made my job even harder"...sept 1st Ill decide if Im going to Canada or DC/MD.

hey why do they say the show is in DC but its actually in MD...does DC sell better? lol

Philip Ricardo
08-27-2009, 12:52 AM
yeah I was pretty happy w/ what i had on stage and pretty stoked about what the head judge said..."great physique, If you would have came in as lean as 1st-3rd you would have made my job even harder"...sept 1st Ill decide if Im going to Canada or DC/MD.

hey why do they say the show is in DC but its actually in MD...does DC sell better? lol

The first time I did the Yorton it said it was DC but it was actually in Bowie, MD. I never even eard of Bowie or Maryland (jk) and im from New York...ha ha!
So I guess Sept 1st we will see what happens...either way im sure you will be ready to do us proud!
Also, my wife said she saw the Natty program on E! too...she said it was nice to see us get the publicity!

MsGuns
08-27-2009, 12:58 AM

The first time I did the Yorton it said it was DC but it was actually in Bowie, MD. I never even eard of Bowie or Maryland (jk) and im from New York...ha ha!
So I guess Sept 1st we will see what happens...either way im sure you will be ready to do us proud!
Also, my wife said she saw the Natty program on E! too...she said it was nice to see us get the publicity!

ha i never heard of it either and then found out thru facebook a lot of my friends from HS and the track world dont leave too far from Bowie..
i finally saw me on friday...i was in the 1st 5mins of it..some stage posing excerpts from the Yorton...it was nice!

newaza007
08-28-2009, 01:43 PM
I was reading the info on your website in regards to pre contest sodium load, water consumption, etc. Great info! Had one question. During this 10 days or so leading into a contest, what do you do in regards to cardio. Are you still hammering away at cardio or do you stop/reduce at a certain point. Thanks.

fitcorps
08-28-2009, 03:35 PM
ha i never heard of it either and then found out thru facebook a lot of my friends from HS and the track world dont leave too far from Bowie..
i finally saw me on friday...i was in the 1st 5mins of it..some stage posing excerpts from the Yorton...it was nice!

MsGuns, what E show are you referring to?

TheSpirit
08-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey Rico, another Vet checkin in. Glad you are here and still representing. How many years you been training? Safe journeys on your last tour.

Philip Ricardo
08-29-2009, 12:34 AM
I was reading the info on your website in regards to pre contest sodium load, water consumption, etc. Great info! Had one question. During this 10 days or so leading into a contest, what do you do in regards to cardio. Are you still hammering away at cardio or do you stop/reduce at a certain point. Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, I hope it helped. I need to update it because I actually experimented back in 2007 with keeping my water in even up to prejudging, basically drinking distilled water all the way thru and decreasing it slightly to about a gallon the day before prejudging and enough to start the urination process the morning of the show then moderate drinking till the show.

As for Cardio, it always varies depending how conditioned I am, but I continue to do cardio until the Wednesday before the Saturday show, when I cut out weight training on Thursday and Friday and just pose, flex and squeeze as much as I can throughout the day.

Philip Ricardo
08-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey Rico, another Vet checkin in. Glad you are here and still representing. How many years you been training? Safe journeys on your last tour.
-------------------------------------------

Thanks boss, I have been weight training since High School football back in 1986, so thats 23 years, and training for bodybuilding since 1992, so 17 years there.
I cant wait to get home, and I hope the only traveling I do for a while will be in the continental USA! The less sand the better...lol.:drool:

AVBG
08-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Hey Rico, Is your training abroad much different to what you do at home? Do you have access to the equipment you want when working?

Philip Ricardo
08-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey Rico, Is your training abroad much different to what you do at home? Do you have access to the equipment you want when working?

Depending on which bases you are on out here will depend on the type of gyms and machines you can get a hold of. I am very fortunate to be on a base that has a great gym with most of the equipment that you find at any decent gym in the states. I have been able to train and even help organize a bodybuilding show out here, which was a blast and well received. Here are a couple of pics of the gym (what you can see of it anyway) and a pic of me guest posing at the base show.
Of course it is still busy over here, but it has died down a lot since the U.S. has agreed to drawdown troops here this past July 2009.

I definitely cant complain out here though, and I have maintained pretty well.

fitcorps
08-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Great pics Philip! You look freaking SICK as always...your chest hang is off the hook.

Philip Ricardo
08-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Great pics Philip! You look freaking SICK as always...your chest hang is off the hook.

LMAO, thanks bro. Im hoping some day my chest doesnt hang to the point where they become saggy breasts...lol. Hittin those Declines harder as I get older, but Im holding up ok...I have a couple of years before I will have to look into implants.:no:

"Most people make excuses...Winners make it happen!"

MsGuns
08-31-2009, 12:05 AM
MsGuns, what E show are you referring to?

Last week E! Entertainment featured True Hollywood Story-female bodybuilding.

MsGuns
08-31-2009, 12:08 AM
Hey Phillip! Prep starts this week!

Philip Ricardo
08-31-2009, 12:11 AM
Good luck Drex. 2 more days till you make your decision right? Either way, prep is gonna be hardcore! Keep us posted on your progress!

MsGuns
08-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Good luck Drex. 2 more days till you make your decision right? Either way, prep is gonna be hardcore! Keep us posted on your progress!

yup 2 more days...thx Phillip...i will!

fitcorps
08-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Last week E! Entertainment featured True Hollywood Story-female bodybuilding.

I DVR'd that show and I watched the first 20 or 30 minutes while doing cardio and accidentally deleted it. Do you know if they are airing it again?

MsGuns
09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
I DVR'd that show and I watched the first 20 or 30 minutes while doing cardio and accidentally deleted it. Do you know if they are airing it again?

I dont know, they showed it several times that week. You might can check the E! Entertainment online to see if they have anymore listings.

MsGuns
09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Phillip, Thx for your advice.

Kiyoshi Moody
09-03-2009, 02:04 PM
R u competing in the natural o this year in australia?

Philip Ricardo
09-04-2009, 06:40 PM
R u competing in the natural o this year in australia?

Nah bro. The wifey and I are having a baby in late October, and I dont et home from Iraq till the beginning of October (hopefully) so no competing at all for me this year. I will wait till next year and see whats out there.
I have to live vicariously through you and hope you turn IFBB Pro...then I might think about the Team Universe in a couple of years or so

I might have to experiment with the diet Dave gave you to keep your size and get ripped...it sounds like you could unveil a straight up sicker physique than you already have!!!:yep:

MsGuns
09-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Hey Phillip,
I think Im leaning towards the UFE. Check your PM.

nutratroy
09-15-2009, 12:21 PM
You staying safe over there? Checking in on you now I have some down time. only like what 8 weeks u get to come home?

Philip Ricardo
09-16-2009, 11:03 PM
You staying safe over there? Checking in on you now I have some down time. only like what 8 weeks u get to come home?

------------------------------------------
Troy, thanks man and sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. We are winding down now in preparation to leave in about a Month or so, so life is good. I will get back just in time for baby duty.
I know you and Krissy are excited about the O...man, I wish I could be there! Thats gotta be a dream come true for both of you, and it couldnt happen to a better couple. YOu guys make the perfect team bro, and then its your turn to do your thing in Miami...Natural Universe baby! You look ripped in all the pics I see of you...you should be shredded wheat by November.
Otherwise bro Im doing fine, and the end is near over here...just living my bodybuilding life thru you guys back home...this has been one heck of a year for all of us that's come up together! :yep:

nutratroy
09-17-2009, 12:33 AM
------------------------------------------
Troy, thanks man and sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. We are winding down now in preparation to leave in about a Month or so, so life is good. I will get back just in time for baby duty.
I know you and Krissy are excited about the O...man, I wish I could be there! Thats gotta be a dream come true for both of you, and it couldnt happen to a better couple. YOu guys make the perfect team bro, and then its your turn to do your thing in Miami...Natural Universe baby! You look ripped in all the pics I see of you...you should be shredded wheat by November.
Otherwise bro Im doing fine, and the end is near over here...just living my bodybuilding life thru you guys back home...this has been one heck of a year for all of us that's come up together! :yep:

Waiting for ya to get home!
My glutes bro- its age! their fighting me this time

Philip Ricardo
09-17-2009, 12:47 AM
Waiting for ya to get home!
My glutes bro- its age! their fighting me this time

--------------------------------------------------

Lol...Yeah bro, it gets harder to get the ripples we used to have...you are still an inspiration for the over 40's. You know how to get those bootie bear claws to come in...Gotta make-em burn Brotha! You have plenty of time, and with your injury its probably affecting you a little too. 2 weeks out they will be there bro.:yep:

MsGuns
09-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Philip, I saw you in the new F&P mag...lookin good...I'm doing those exercises for my hammies but I still struggle bringing them out.

Kiyoshi Moody
10-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Hey Big Dogg!!! How u been? havent seen u on here in a minute!!!! Hope everything is good!!!! I'm making my return to the Natural Olympia stage!!!!!Any advice?

nutratroy
10-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Beef...where u at?:byeb:

AVBG
10-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Where's Rico?

Philip Ricardo
10-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Hey Big Dogg!!! How u been? havent seen u on here in a minute!!!! Hope everything is good!!!! I'm making my return to the Natural Olympia stage!!!!!Any advice?

Sorry everyone...just got back from Iraq and chilling with the family and preparing for the birth of our baby girl.

Kyoshi, you dont need advice from me...come in like you did for the Team U and you will blow everyone out of the water! No one will be able to touch you...just be careful on the flight over there...you know those overseas flights can make you hold water, so arrive a little early. You will be fine and add another title to the long list you already have!

Rico

Philip Ricardo
10-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Beef...where u at?:byeb:

Troy, just getting back, and the baby's due this Thursday so I will be out of pocket for about a week. I will hit you up in November and hopefully we can hit up a gym session or lunch in SD.

Philip Ricardo
10-19-2009, 12:45 AM
Where's Rico?

Im back boss...sorry to take too much time away. I know Ive missed out on a lot of action for sure...:yep:

MsGuns
10-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Hi Philip...
Missed ya...
Glad you hm and safe....
Welcome home...
CONGRATS on baby gurl coming soon...
Kiyosha WON the AM and Pro division of the Natural O!
He's going to do the Natural Universe on Nov 14th.

AVBG
10-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Im back boss...sorry to take too much time away. I know Ive missed out on a lot of action for sure...:yep:

Hey Rico, welcome back to familiar shores.. How's the parents to be handling the immanent arrival of your baby girl?

You too must be proud of Kiyoshi's achievement over the weekend? Also, did you catch Kiyoshi's interview on John Hansen's radio show?

We'll let you catch up before we let loose on the hard hitting questions;)

Doug
10-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Welcome back!

Team Franco
10-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Wishing for a great and healthy Birthday Rico!!
Early congrats.

nutratroy
10-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Troy, just getting back, and the baby's due this Thursday so I will be out of pocket for about a week. I will hit you up in November and hopefully we can hit up a gym session or lunch in SD.

For sure!:hmn:

Philip Ricardo
10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks everyone! Im very happy for both Doug and Kyoshi...2 of the best Naturals alive!
Tomorrow is the day for the wife and I so I may be out of pocket for a few days, but I will try my best to catch up with everyone. I missed you all too. Talk to you soon!

MsGuns
11-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Phillip, when you get a chance after playing w/ the baby, Please Vote for the 2009 Rx Muscle Male and Female Forum Member of the Year! Thx for your time.

garry engle
11-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Welcome back Philip and congrats on the baby.

Great pics from your guest posing...looking forward to learning a lot from your thread.

-garry

Philip Ricardo
11-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Welcome back Philip and congrats on the baby.

Great pics from your guest posing...looking forward to learning a lot from your thread.

-garry

Thanks Garry. Are you competing at the Yorton this year? When are you stepping back on stage...we need some Marines to represent this year...lol!
Good hearing from you and welcome to the forum!

AVBG
11-12-2009, 08:03 PM
How's the new Dad and Mommy doing?

garry engle
11-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks Garry. Are you competing at the Yorton this year? When are you stepping back on stage...we need some Marines to represent this year...lol!
Good hearing from you and welcome to the forum!

Thanks brother.. welcome back, congrats on the kiddo..

I'll be doing the Armed Forces next September in Florida, then the IFPA Cape Cod and Yorton.. just a work in progress for 09.

When you getting up there again? Your Iraq pictures looked pretty darn good!

Philip Ricardo
11-14-2009, 10:25 AM
How's the new Dad and Mommy doing?

Doing pretty well bro. The baby sleeps during the day and is up at night :mad:, but we are adjusting.
Our Daughter is so beautiful, and she has lots of hair...definitely not from my side of the gene pool...lol. All is well, and Im am trying my best to help Momma catch up on her sleep!

Philip Ricardo
11-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks brother.. welcome back, congrats on the kiddo..

I'll be doing the Armed Forces next September in Florida, then the IFPA Cape Cod and Yorton.. just a work in progress for 09.

When you getting up there again? Your Iraq pictures looked pretty darn good!

Thanks Garry...it was nice to be able to stay involved with Bodybuilding even in Iraq.
Well next year you and I should be able to finally hang out. I plan to do the Cape Cod and Yorton as well. I am trying to enjoy my offseason as long as I can right now though.
I cant wait to see the results from the Yorton...that is one of the sickest line-ups I have ever seen for a Natural Pro show across the board. I still think Doug is the favorite though...he looked unreal at the Cape Cod! Next year it will be us representing Military Muscle again!:yep:

garry engle
11-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Looking forward to it big guy!

Hey, someone's posting Yorton play-by-play over here:
http://naturalphysiqueforum.com/index.php?showtopic=26365&st=0&#entry265832

men pro's on right now, fyi

nutratroy
12-23-2009, 12:58 PM
P-Mass: Happy Holidays brother. 619 in da hizzle!

Philip Ricardo
12-28-2009, 05:58 PM
P-Mass: Happy Holidays brother. 619 in da hizzle!

Troy, Happy Holidays to you and Krissy too...

Enjoy the offseason...I know I am! Lol.

Next year is going to be crazy...I have big plans and hopefully it all pans out. I need to talk to you about some things, so hit me back with your phone number so we can talk.

Rico (619 in affect, even though Im repping the 760/951...ha-ha).

AVBG
01-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Let's hear about your 2010 plans? You taking some names this year? Clampit? Moody? Martin?

Philip Ricardo
01-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Let's hear about your 2010 plans? You taking some names this year? Clampit? Moody? Martin?

------------------

LOL...hopefully. Those are some tough names you mentioned, and all I want to do is improve from my last shows and give a good show. I plan to do a lot of shows this year starting in September and I plan to compete in the IFPA and INBA (Natural O and Universe). I have some guest posing appearances in May and August in Utah and Illinois, so that should be fun.
Kyoshi is always tough and just being on stage with him, Warren Clampit, and Martin will be a true battle. My workouts have taken on a whole new meaning this year for sure...:yep::drool:

Team Franco
01-23-2010, 08:48 AM
------------------

LOL...hopefully. Those are some tough names you mentioned, and all I want to do is improve from my last shows and give a good show. I plan to do a lot of shows this year starting in September and I plan to compete in the IFPA and INBA (Natural O and Universe). I have some guest posing appearances in May and August in Utah and Illinois, so that should be fun.
Kyoshi is always tough and just being on stage with him, Warren Clampit, and Martin will be a true battle. My workouts have taken on a whole new meaning this year for sure...:yep::drool:

Go get'em Rico! You never disapoint.

AVBG
01-23-2010, 01:16 PM
On your day
.. I don't know anyone current that can beat you.

sulcop
01-30-2010, 07:59 PM
So how is the greatest natural pro and my favorite Marine doing? It's Sully, just came over to the site today and found you, Dr Joe and Joe F and feeling quite at home! I'll have to read up and learn a few tricks! Hope all is well my friend and I head over in March, we have to hook up when I get home side. Semper Fi my brother.

Philip Ricardo
02-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Go get'em Rico! You never disapoint.

Thanks Joe, I look forward to seeing you again this year! You doing the Cape Cod again...if so we have to do dinner or something after the show bro!:yep:

Philip Ricardo
02-02-2010, 10:53 PM
On your day
.. I don't know anyone current that can beat you.

Ha-ha! I think Kyoshi and a few others would have something to say about that! But I will try to do my best this year against whoever I go against...this year will probably the toughest year of competition for me since 2007!

Philip Ricardo
02-02-2010, 10:57 PM
So how is the greatest natural pro and my favorite Marine doing? It's Sully, just came over to the site today and found you, Dr Joe and Joe F and feeling quite at home! I'll have to read up and learn a few tricks! Hope all is well my friend and I head over in March, we have to hook up when I get home side. Semper Fi my brother.

Sully, my man! Be safe out there bro...its tough to keep a Hero down, but please take it easy out there. And I hope you make it back by September when I go to Cape Cod, but if not we will hook up another time for sure! Oohrah Sully, stay safe!

AVBG
02-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Ha-ha! I think Kyoshi and a few others would have something to say about that! But I will try to do my best this year against whoever I go against...this year will probably the toughest year of competition for me since 2007!

I'm on to you Rico!

six weeks out.. 210lbs
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/picture.php?albumid=389&pictureid=3871

Philip Ricardo
02-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm on to you Rico!

six weeks out.. 210lbs
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/picture.php?albumid=389&pictureid=3871

Looking good bro...right on target. What show are you preparing for???

AVBG
02-06-2010, 12:50 PM
5 weeks out for the All states champs (amatuer show held in conjunction with the aust ifbb pro show)

garry engle
02-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Hey Philip, how's the training?

Philip Ricardo
02-08-2010, 01:25 AM
5 weeks out for the All states champs (amatuer show held in conjunction with the aust ifbb pro show)

Good stuff...and good luck. Will you be coming out here for the Natural O this year? Definitely hope to hook up with you on stage out here.

Philip Ricardo
02-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Hey Philip, how's the training?

Garry, my fellow Marine Pro! Training is going great bro, and Im looking forward to competing again...its been way too long. Where are you at these days...still in Europe or are you back stateside? Hit me up on the Global if you can.
Also, what do you have planned this year? Will I see you at the Cape?

AVBG
02-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Good stuff...and good luck. Will you be coming out here for the Natural O this year? Definitely hope to hook up with you on stage out here.

Seriously flattered that you'd even think I could ever stand on the same stage as you Rico. I am not qualified (yet) to represent. I got a big regional show in may that I am also looking to do before considering our national INBA show. I am already qualified to compete nationally but I need to clear the stage "rust" first. I will be over 200lb@ 6' ripped at the next show.

boatman
02-26-2010, 04:43 PM
You look pretty damn good phillip!

Based on a recent doctors visit it turns out I have celiacs and based on
some blood sugar tests dont handle carbs very well. I am pretty insulin insensitive and close to pre-diabetic (should have known, some
relatives have type I diabetes) :P I guess thats life, but I just have to
take
it in stride.

In light of that, I may have to do a higher fat more moderate carb approach. Something like 1.5 g/lb protein, 1 grams/lb carbs, and the rest of my cals from fat.

Have you known any bodybuilders or friends who have used more
moderate or higher approaches with fats to achieve quality physiques. Sorry
to
bug you again, I am just trying to deal with the cards life has dealt me

Do you think that carbs or fats make any difference in the quality of muscle
gained? since they are both essentialy just energy shouldn't they just be
different means to the same end (providing enough cals to let protein do its
thing?), with fats being slightly tastier, more energy dense, and less water
holding :P ??

Sorry to bug you man, just a little depressed after getting this news and hoping I can make some gains with fats lol :P

AVBG
02-26-2010, 05:16 PM
What's up Rico! I got 2 weeks to go!

Philip Ricardo
03-01-2010, 09:59 PM
You look pretty damn good phillip!

Based on a recent doctors visit it turns out I have celiacs and based on
some blood sugar tests dont handle carbs very well. I am pretty insulin insensitive and close to pre-diabetic (should have known, some
relatives have type I diabetes) :P I guess thats life, but I just have to
take
it in stride.

In light of that, I may have to do a higher fat more moderate carb approach. Something like 1.5 g/lb protein, 1 grams/lb carbs, and the rest of my cals from fat.

Have you known any bodybuilders or friends who have used more
moderate or higher approaches with fats to achieve quality physiques. Sorry
to
bug you again, I am just trying to deal with the cards life has dealt me

Do you think that carbs or fats make any difference in the quality of muscle
gained? since they are both essentialy just energy shouldn't they just be
different means to the same end (providing enough cals to let protein do its
thing?), with fats being slightly tastier, more energy dense, and less water
holding :P ??

Sorry to bug you man, just a little depressed after getting this news and hoping I can make some gains with fats lol :P
---------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry it took so long for me to reply...Im in and out of this forum due to work and family stuff.
As for Carbs and fats, I know that Kyoshi Moody has experimented with using fats as a primary energy source with good results. I also feel that it is a good alternative provided you use the cleanest fat sources of course instead of saturated/trans fats (even though an occasional steak doesnt hurt :)
Everyone reacts differently to this type of diet, however, being that you have diabetic symptoms a higher fat and protein diet sounds like it would be the best option for you and it could be a blessing in disguise. For those that use it and for those who its worked for tend to hold onto muscle mass even more so than with the moderate carb diet as well as maintain more strength possibly due to more fat around the muscles and tendons to cushion during strength training.
Once again, it cant hurt and could end up being a huge physiue altering change for you for the better. Your ratio of fats/carbs/protein is spot on if you go towards this diet!:yep:

Philip Ricardo
03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
What's up Rico! I got 2 weeks to go!

Wheres the progress pics??? You ready to tear the stage up? I need some motivation for my shows in the fall, so show me what you got!!!:yep:

AVBG
03-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Wheres the progress pics??? You ready to tear the stage up? I need some motivation for my shows in the fall, so show me what you got!!!:yep:

I am ready to go sitting at a ripped 91kg, with 11 days left

Lol, I got all my pics in on my profile page albums.. Check it out and go easy on me (def not natty o calibre... Yet. Lol)

Philip Ricardo
03-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I am ready to go sitting at a ripped 91kg, with 11 days left

Lol, I got all my pics in on my profile page albums.. Check it out and go easy on me (def not natty o calibre... Yet. Lol)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Looking good my friend...anytime you can see your christmas tree showing means you are ripped to the bone. I think I saw your kidneys in that shot...lol.
One more week till the big day...keep it together bro!

J Franco
07-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Congrats to Rico on his win this past weekend.
It was a fantastic line up.

Hope to hear from the man himself and how it went.

Doug
07-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I had no doubt this was Rico's show! How about some pics Champ!

Congrats.

Rsardinia
07-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Congrats Philip, you deserved the win. I emailed you from one of the contact emails on your website before I realized you were on here. I hope you can respond to my email but if its easier I can copy and paste the email to a message on here. Congrats again, you are a great inspiration.

Philip Ricardo
07-23-2010, 02:13 AM
Congrats to Rico on his win this past weekend.
It was a fantastic line up.

Hope to hear from the man himself and how it went.

Thanks Joe...it was a great line up. The top 5 were unreal...all top notch champions! The last 5 were no slouches either.:yep:

Philip Ricardo
07-23-2010, 02:15 AM
I had no doubt this was Rico's show! How about some pics Champ!

Congrats.

Thanks Doug. Im sure you checked out Facebook by now to see the pics. Definitely going to miss seeing you on stage this year...having you compete would really throw the Natural bodybuilding world into a frenzy!

Philip Ricardo
07-23-2010, 02:16 AM
Congrats Philip, you deserved the win. I emailed you from one of the contact emails on your website before I realized you were on here. I hope you can respond to my email but if its easier I can copy and paste the email to a message on here. Congrats again, you are a great inspiration.

Thanks Robbie, and I hope I answered all your questions through email. You have a really bright future as a top Pro bro.

AVBG
07-23-2010, 04:15 AM
Congrats on your return back to the stage Rico.

Rsardinia
07-23-2010, 11:39 AM

Thanks Robbie, and I hope I answered all your questions through email. You have a really bright future as a top Pro bro.

Ya you did and more. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Makes things a lot clearer for me and gives me a better idea of the direction I want to take. Keep smashin on the competition this year.

nutratroy
07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Did u beat Ky?...holla

devinh
07-29-2010, 05:19 PM
wanted to say congrats on your recent show. looking at your pics makes me not want to wait till next year to get on that stage again. it's been too long for myself.
i worked with you at LA Fitness in Ft. Lauderdale for a few months before you moved back out to cali. i remember you saying your folks lived in Marietta. If you ever make it out here man, it would be great to catch a workout. i live right in the area, and know of a few great gyms.
keep up the great work.

Philip Ricardo
08-24-2010, 12:43 AM
wanted to say congrats on your recent show. looking at your pics makes me not want to wait till next year to get on that stage again. it's been too long for myself.
i worked with you at LA Fitness in Ft. Lauderdale for a few months before you moved back out to cali. i remember you saying your folks lived in Marietta. If you ever make it out here man, it would be great to catch a workout. i live right in the area, and know of a few great gyms.
keep up the great work.

Hey Devin, I remember you. Yeah, my mom lives out there and if I head out that way I will hit you up for sure. Ahh, miss those LA Fitness days...:yep:

Da Fonz
09-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Rico,

Where you pretty wreckless in the gym when you went on your first gaining phase for football? I'm curious if your progression was more linear than periodized when you were younger. I asked because I entered my first year of honest weightlifting with my brain instead of muscle. I did this because everyone says they'd be a lot stronger if they knew the science behind exercise when they started and I'm an exercise physiology student. I made strength and size gains, but nothing like the gain football players make over a summer. Parts of me tell me if I drop all of the methods and just strive for max lifts until I stall, I'll gain a lot more mass in my second year.

Philip Ricardo
09-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Rico,

Where you pretty wreckless in the gym when you went on your first gaining phase for football? I'm curious if your progression was more linear than periodized when you were younger. I asked because I entered my first year of honest weightlifting with my brain instead of muscle. I did this because everyone says they'd be a lot stronger if they knew the science behind exercise when they started and I'm an exercise physiology student. I made strength and size gains, but nothing like the gain football players make over a summer. Parts of me tell me if I drop all of the methods and just strive for max lifts until I stall, I'll gain a lot more mass in my second year.

----------------------------
Bro,

Sorry it took me so long to reply back...been busy with Guest posing and trying to make a DVD while I was in Utah all last week. Just got back, and Im beat, but preparing for the INBA/PNBA Team USA in Vegas on Sept 25th.
As for me and being wreckless in the gym for football, I would have to say a combination of yes and no. I really didnt know what I was doing in the beginning, but I pride myself on being a good listener when it comes to learning about the sport, so I listened to my coaches on how to lift properly using good form instead of just throwing it up there anyway possible. I kept good form for the most part, but my ego got in the way when I saw most of my teammates being stronger than me...lol. I still believe that you have to have controlled chaos in the gym...your gains will be better if you have good form for the most part, but its also good to have days when you just go crazy and you feel strong and competitive and go for heavy lifts at all costs. I always try to listen to my body, and if Im strong I go toe to toe with my workout partners and kill it, but if Im feeling less than 100% I will make sure I dont do anything that can injure me and keep me out of the gym.
One thing to keep in mind...you may see a lot of athletes that go for heavy poundage and not use their brains on how to recover properly with rest and nutrition, and they end up only being super human for a short period of time before injuries and burnout take them out of the game. You should always think about staying in the muscle game for the long haul and know all of the facts before you go crazy...its the consistent athletes who use their brains that end up having the best gains and longer careers:yep:

Kiyoshi Moody
10-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Congrats on winning the Yorton bro!!!!!! Now u know what time it is!!!!

Waylon
10-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Congrats

Philip Ricardo
10-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Congrats

Thanks bro...tough show for sure!!!:drool:

Philip Ricardo
10-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Congrats on winning the Yorton bro!!!!!! Now u know what time it is!!!!

Thanks my friend...and yes, I do know what time it is! Never gets any easier! I know you are going to be a lot different this time out so it will be a true Battle of Olympians bro, I have no doubt! Looking forward to it as always, and I wont be a lightweight :yep:!

Flynn
10-24-2010, 10:32 AM
As others have said, Congratulations!!! Best of Luck at the next show.

Rsardinia
11-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks my friend...and yes, I do know what time it is! Never gets any easier! I know you are going to be a lot different this time out so it will be a true Battle of Olympians bro, I have no doubt! Looking forward to it as always, and I wont be a lightweight :yep:!
Can't wait to see the comparison pics of you 2 beasts in top condition. Gonna be epic.

Shulk
11-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Philip, have you ever tried DAA (D-Aspartic Acid)? Its the next new thing in natural test boosting and I am wondering if you have tried it?

Philip Ricardo
11-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Philip, have you ever tried DAA (D-Aspartic Acid)? Its the next new thing in natural test boosting and I am wondering if you have tried it?

Just read up on it on this website,

http://www.daapure.com/clinical-study

Looks very promising but never tried it. Im sponsored by the BodyEvolution so I stick with their products and they work extremely well for me, but since Im rapidly approaching 40 this could help me with longevity in the sport. Great question!

adamrochester
01-13-2011, 04:27 AM
need some pic updates man !!!!!

Waylon
04-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Hey Phil how many weeks out are you now? Did you notice any differences in your training since you retired from the marines?

justinz1992
06-07-2011, 01:36 AM
hey philip, i was wondering if you could breifly touch up on the last week before a show....the best way to come in peak condition. things like carbing up, water intake, distilled or reg water, sodium etc... thanks alot. u always seem to come in shredded and dry so i figured theres no one better i could ask.

Waylon
06-23-2011, 04:25 AM
hey philip, i was wondering if you could breifly touch up on the last week before a show....the best way to come in peak condition. things like carbing up, water intake, distilled or reg water, sodium etc... thanks alot. u always seem to come in shredded and dry so i figured theres no one better i could ask.

Check this out

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/on-the-mark-contest-day.html

Hope it helps

:ninjaloco:

justinz1992
06-25-2011, 01:32 AM
thanks man. great article!

tmkm
08-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Ricardo,
How many calories are you eating and how much cardio are you doing precontest????

Rsardinia
08-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Hey Rico,

What tan product(s) did you use for the IFPA Pro USA last year? I liked your color a lot and was curious what you used.

Philip Ricardo
09-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Everyone,
I apologize for not being on this forum in a while. Just getting used to Civilian life and a new, but demanding job while juggling my family and Guest appearances.
I will try to be on this forum once again at least once a week or so...thanks for understanding!

Philip Ricardo
09-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Ricardo,
How many calories are you eating and how much cardio are you doing precontest????

I only do 30 minutes of cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach 4 times a week...usually elliptical or rotating stair climber to target the glutes/hammy's.
As for Calories, my macros vary, with a high, medium and low carb day depending on my activity levels (high carbs on my leg and back days). My low carb days are very low...50 carbs on the days I dont work out and relax at home. I usually keep my protein levels at 220-250 grams per day.

Philip Ricardo
09-24-2011, 09:01 AM
thanks man. great article!

------------------------------------------------------
SuperNinja, thanks for posting that! That is exactly what I do and of course sometimes depending on how my body is responding I adjust it slightly, but it has been my money maker!

Philip Ricardo
09-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Hey Rico,

What tan product(s) did you use for the IFPA Pro USA last year? I liked your color a lot and was curious what you used.
------------------

Robbie my man,
I use Dream Tan #1 each and everytime, and I love it. Very easy to use, just make sure you get a good base tan before hand with tanning booth or even Pro-tan as a base!

tmkm
10-28-2011, 11:59 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I do believe a natural can effectively use a routine like this and make big gains...especially if the natty is a hardgainer with a lot of detailed muscle already and wants to put on size to put on more dense muscularity. However, for those who are already large and have a hard time cutting down and getting lean I think that this routine may not be as effective since they tend to need more of a routine which uses more repetitions and less rest to etch in more detail and burn more bodyfat during their training, but that doesnt mean they shouldnt try it too...sometimes a new stimulus is just the shock the body needs to break plateus.
As a hardgainer, I used something similar to the HIT routine you metioned called DC training or "Doggcrap" training by Dante Trudel. I tried it in 2006-2007 and it worked great for me. Staying heavy and getting the stretch which recruited more muscle fibers by stretching the fascia allowed me to see more dense striated muscle than before. Its definitely worth a try!

Dorian Yates training in great of you are taking lots of drusg. As a natural bodybuilder I use to be obsessed with Dorian Yates type training. had his books, used to watch his video before workouts, I mean I gung ho for a long time. I was very very strong, BUT when I finally decided something needed to change and went to higher reps with more volume and started growing alot faster I realized it wasnt for me.

tmkm
10-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Phillip,
Would you ever do the NPC Team Universe?

Philip Ricardo
12-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Phillip,
Would you ever do the NPC Team Universe?

----------------------------------------------------------

I definitely would consider it because it is a true challenge competing in the NPC and trying to qualify as an IFBB Pro. The only problem I have is if I did turn IFBB Pro then what? Be all-Natural and go up against a field where over 95% of the competitors are not Natural? I feel that remaining with Drug Free organizations allows the Top Naturals to be around the Natural bodybuilding fans more effectively and compete on an even playing field while giving the fans the best of the best in Natural Bodybuilding. Not to mention to support Natural bodybuilding it is important to stay in Natural organizations as well.