PDA

View Full Version : The Joe Franco Q&A Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AVBG
08-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Welcome aboard Joe..

Joe has competed in body building contests for over 15 years. His most recent have been the 2007 IFPA Pro Yorton Cup.

Previous contests were;

- 2006 OCB Battle of the Swords (where he won the overall title and pro card)

- 2005 OCB Pride of the Atlantic, 1st Place Short Class, 1st Place Overall and Best Poser Award.

- 2000 USNBA NJ Natural Body Building Championships, 1st Place Lt. Wt. Open, 1st Place Overall.

MsGuns
08-02-2009, 10:14 PM
SWEET, another IFPA Pro!
Welcome Joe!

AVBG
08-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Bring 'em on!

There's so much to learn from the Natural Pros!

Team Franco
08-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Thank you.

Looking forward to contributing and learning.

Currently, I am prepping for my second pro show, the IFPA Gaspari in Cape Cod. I am less then 10 week out, and feeling pretty good in comparison to two years back.

AVBG
08-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Hey Joe, I need help to improve on some weeknesses...

My goal after the last show I did (I placed second at the state level show) was to improve my delt width and back width.

I do all my training at home with limited equipment and leading up to the show I was doing a routine a bit like this..

4-5 sets of standing lateral raises (half pyramid) - 12 to 6 reps

4-5 sets of standing db press 10 reps per set

3 sets upright rows 10 reps per set

3 sets rear delt raises 8-10 reps per set

The routine I currently do is similar but I am now seated when doing the raises and presses and I think its working as I am now considerably stricter in my form and feeling it more in the delts.

IS there anything you would suggest I change to the routine?

For my back I do..

5 sets of shoulder width palm forward pull up/chins to failure (usually get between 8 - 12 reps)

4 sets of close grip palm parallel pull ups (also to failure (8-12 reps)

4 sets of of one arm db rows (8-10 reps)

6 sets of stiff leg deadlifts (done on leg day as my primary hamstring exercise)

Team Franco
08-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Hey Joe, I need help to improve on some weeknesses...

My goal after the last show I did (I placed second at the state level show) was to improve my delt width and back width.

I do all my training at home with limited equipment and leading up to the show I was doing a routine a bit like this..

4-5 sets of standing lateral raises (half pyramid) - 12 to 6 reps

4-5 sets of standing db press 10 reps per set

3 sets upright rows 10 reps per set

3 sets rear delt raises 8-10 reps per set

The routine I currently do is similar but I am now seated when doing the raises and presses and I think its working as I am now considerably stricter in my form and feeling it more in the delts.

IS there anything you would suggest I change to the routine?

For my back I do..

5 sets of shoulder width palm forward pull up/chins to failure (usually get between 8 - 12 reps)

4 sets of close grip palm parallel pull ups (also to failure (8-12 reps)

4 sets of of one arm db rows (8-10 reps)

6 sets of stiff leg deadlifts (done on leg day as my primary hamstring exercise)

I too train at home, and wouldnt have it any other way.

Ok, the training looks solid as far as volume and rep ranges. I would suggest to have 3 mini cycles for each of the workouts. Use the one you currently listed and do it 4 x's. This should give you enough rotations to see if your strength inreases. Then I would do a different routine and repeat it 4 x, and then another. This method is a nice combo of doing mini cycles of movements and variety. To me, that is a very important factor for growth.

Your choice of exercises are solid, and I like seated side lateral a lot. But if you do a different shoulder routine, I would also throw in some loose form side laterals to break out some heavier weights.
The only other advice on shoulders would be doing some high incline barbell press and or standing push presses.

For the back, your right on, and again the only other things to add would be regular deads but to also alternate the types of doing them, ie, dumbell, trap bar, regular, and even elevated.

Team Franco
08-03-2009, 06:00 PM
For the past two years here are my workouts!
http://joefranco-fitfranco.blogspot.com/

Philip Ricardo
08-06-2009, 10:59 PM
I too train at home, and wouldnt have it any other way.

Ok, the training looks solid as far as volume and rep ranges. I would suggest to have 3 mini cycles for each of the workouts. Use the one you currently listed and do it 4 x's. This should give you enough rotations to see if your strength inreases. Then I would do a different routine and repeat it 4 x, and then another. This method is a nice combo of doing mini cycles of movements and variety. To me, that is a very important factor for growth.

Your choice of exercises are solid, and I like seated side lateral a lot. But if you do a different shoulder routine, I would also throw in some loose form side laterals to break out some heavier weights.
The only other advice on shoulders would be doing some high incline barbell press and or standing push presses.

For the back, your right on, and again the only other things to add would be regular deads but to also alternate the types of doing them, ie, dumbell, trap bar, regular, and even elevated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe,

Just wanted to drop you quick line to say welcome, and thank you for giving us another expert brain to pick when it comes to training, nutrition, and competing.
Great advice! As Natural competitors, Width is very important when trying to create the illusion of being broader on stage and Back and shoulders are where its at. We are not all blessed with wide clavicles like Doug Miller or Carl Matthews.
Take care Joe, and I will hit you up whenever I get free time on here.

Philip "Rico" Ricardo

ANADROLicfreak
08-06-2009, 11:00 PM
welcome aboard.

AVBG
08-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Hey Joe, What are the different training splits you recommend?

I am currently doing
Mon: delts/traps
Tues: legs
Wed: biceps/triceps
Thurs: OFF (cardio only)
Fri: chest
Sat: back
Sun: OFF (cardio)

Team Franco
08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the welome!

Prior to my contest prep this year, I became a huge fan of a 4 day split. This gave me just enough time to recovery with the right amount of frequency. I have many versions of the routine, even switch out tri's with bi's. I would rest every 5th day and repeat. Sure, I listen to my body when needed and some say natty need more rest. But I beleive that the body can and will adapt to anything you expose it to!

For example.

Sun: Quads/calves
Mon: Chest/Tri
Tue: Back/Hams
Wed: Delts/Bi's
Thur: Rest
Fri: Repeat.

Team Franco
08-09-2009, 08:19 AM
I put these together two years back and it is great for the personal just starting out.
Take a look,
http://franco_j.tripod.com/tfbpreppcfree.html

MsGuns
08-09-2009, 10:26 AM
How would a newbie pick a show?

Team Franco
08-09-2009, 11:35 AM
How would a newbie pick a show?

Great question and its covered in the first podcast!

But to summarize:

First use the internet to located the show, and decide on how far you are willing to travel. I alway feel as I newbie, you want to keep the epense down to look for a show within an hour drive.

Once you find out about the show, research, research and , research! Ask about the promoter from those who did the show the previous year and dont be afraid to call the promoter yourself!

And lastly, if talk to wide range of competitors from previous show such as bb, figure and other first timers. Its always good to hear a variety of peoples feelings.

For the rest, listen to the PC!! LOL

MsGuns
08-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Im sorry Joe, I didnt look at the link since Im not a newbie...smile

MsGuns
08-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Great question and its covered in the first podcast!

But to summarize:

First use the internet to located the show, and decide on how far you are willing to travel. I alway feel as I newbie, you want to keep the epense down to look for a show within an hour drive.

Once you find out about the show, research, research and , research! Ask about the promoter from those who did the show the previous year and dont be afraid to call the promoter yourself!

And lastly, if talk to wide range of competitors from previous show such as bb, figure and other first timers. Its always good to hear a variety of peoples feelings.

For the rest, listen to the PC!! LOL

Ive always told them to attend a show before competing or actually volunteering. Just to get an idea of what actually goes on. Thx for this summary.

STACEYK
08-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Hey Joe, Glad to see you over here. I'm gonna be emailin ya I'm competing again in Nov and so we can refresh my awesome kick ass routine ya did for me.

Team Franco
08-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Thats great Stacey! Looking forward to it.

MsGuns
08-15-2009, 02:25 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/Rx/RXMUSCLELOGO.jpg

Have you played Rx Muscle's trivia game, "Big J1 Daily Trivia Contest for Earned Shwag"? Here's this weekend's question:

For 1/4 point each, name any person or group who had MIC time at the original Woodstock festival. ONE GUESS ONLY. There are several bonus answers worth one point each!

If you're unfamiliar with the game, points can be "cashed in" for Species Nutrition t-shirts, protein, etc.

Click to play! (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=10228&page=144)

Philip Ricardo
08-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Joe,

Congrats on the Cover photo and article on Fitness and Physique Mag...cant wait for it to come out on the newstands!!! Hows training going for Cape Cod?

http://www.theocbwebsite.com/images/FP16cover72.jpg

MsGuns
08-18-2009, 10:17 PM
CONGRATS Joe! Phillip where did you get the cover? OCB's website?

Team Franco
08-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Joe,

Congrats on the Cover photo and article on Fitness and Physique Mag...cant wait for it to come out on the newstands!!! Hows training going for Cape Cod?

http://www.theocbwebsite.com/images/FP16cover72.jpg

Ha ha, thats cool! I didnt even see that yet.

Prep is going well Rico, thanks!
Going for the glutes now, or at least what I can attain. LOL

MsGuns
08-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Natties were on TV 2night!!!!

Philip Ricardo
08-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Ha ha, thats cool! I didnt even see that yet.

Prep is going well Rico, thanks!
Going for the glutes now, or at least what I can attain. LOL
---------------------------------------------------------

Good to hear bro. Dont worry about the striated Glutes...they are overated...lol. You always bring a complete package so good luck out there and say hi to Sully for me.

AVBG
08-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Congrats on the cover Joe! Unreal development in the quads.

Team Franco
08-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Will do Rico! Looking forward to the trip but not the drive.

Thanks, that picture was from 2005!

Muscle185
08-21-2009, 10:20 AM
What does your diet look like?

Team Franco
08-21-2009, 11:45 AM
I would assume your asking for my contest prep?

If so, here are the ranges for the macros. I can list my foods if you want.

Protein: 200 to 220
Carbs: 105 to 160
Fats: 35 to 45

I mix up the carbs according to what is being trained and or off day.

The numbers may seem low, but I am only 5'5! And currently weighing 150;)

MsGuns
08-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Joe, how are things coming for the show?

Stylz
08-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Joe,

What should your macro range look like if you're going for a lean bulk? Obv. fat gain is inevitable when bulking but I'd really like to stay in the 10-12% BF range if possible and being Natural as you well know makes it that much more difficult.

Also about how much cardio do you do during your offseason diet and training regimen?

Thank You

Team Franco
08-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Joe, how are things coming for the show?

The show I am promoting (OCB Mid Atlantic) is this Saturday (29th). And all is well and should be smooth sailing.

My prep is well also. Content with current strength at my bodyweight. The focus is to lose more fat in the backside! But I dont want to risk muscle while doing it.

Team Franco
08-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Hi Joe,

What should your macro range look like if you're going for a lean bulk? Obv. fat gain is inevitable when bulking but I'd really like to stay in the 10-12% BF range if possible and being Natural as you well know makes it that much more difficult.

Also about how much cardio do you do during your offseason diet and training regimen?

Thank You

For cardio, I will just do 1 session per week, but I will do a cool down of 7 to 10 minutes each workout.

For the macro ranges, that is very specific to the person. So, unless I have more information on the person, I cant give a straight answer. But, if you are coming off of being lean, then all I would do is add about 10grams of carbs pre and post workout every two weeks, and monitor your weight gain from there.

AVBG
08-29-2009, 02:52 AM
How did you get into promoting shows Joe?

Please make sure you get a thread started with pics to congratulated the participants..ok!

Team Franco
08-30-2009, 09:19 AM
How did you get into promoting shows Joe?

Please make sure you get a thread started with pics to congratulated the participants..ok!

Long story short, I always wanted to promote a show. After I did my first OCB show in 2005 I was really impressed with their format and the show. So, in a nut shell I contacted the promoter of that show, who happened to be Matt Shepley, the found of the OCB. And the rest is history.
I have promoted 5 shows, and will be adding another show to New Jersey in the spring.

Team Franco
08-30-2009, 09:20 AM
OCB MID-ATLANTIC CLASSIC
August 29, 2009 – Burlington, NJ
Promoted by Joe Franco
Photos available from www.OCBphotos.PhotoReflect.com
Video available from www.PhotoJoe.com

RESULTS

Female Fitness Model
1 Jessica Rumbaugh #15
2 Meagan Belcher #14
3 Gina Farrel #6
4 Christine Simmons #7
5 Gina Fata #11
6 Andrea Monge #10
7 Chimere Haskins #2

Figure Novice A
1 Ann Gruber #18*
2 Michelle Skurchak #16
3 Stacie Cohee #12
4 Carol Gross #4
5 Silvia Andrews #19

Figure Novice B
1 Meagan Belcher #14
2 Gina Farrel #6
3 Jessica Rumbaugh #15
4 Christine Simmons #7
5 Beverly Teixeira #17

Figure Masters 35+

1 Lisa McKeogh #22
2 Michelle Skurchak #16
3 Stacie Cohee #12
4 Carol Gross #4
5 Karen Anderson #17

Figure Open A
1 Lisa McKeogh #22*(P)
2 Michelle Skurchak #16
3 Ann Gruber #18
4 Jody Phillips #9
5 Stacie Cohee #12
6 Beverly Teixeira #5
7 Christine Simmons #4
8 Gina Fata #11
9 Silvia Andrews #19

Figure Open B
1 Adriana Aliotta #8
2 Meagan Belcher #14(BP)
3 Gina Farrel #6
4 Joanna Borawski #13
5 Jessica Rumbaugh #15
6 Christine Simmons #7
7 Karen Anderson #17
8 Chimere Haskins #2

Women’s Physique Novice
1 Andrea Gulakowski #21
2 Sherry Dolan #20

Women’s Physique 35+
1 Bridget Baldwin #23(P)
2 Andrea Gulakowski #21
3 Sherry Dolan #20

Women’s Physique Open
1 Bridget Baldwin #23
2 Sherry Dolan #20

Men’s Teen
1 Michael Lennon #24
2 Peter Albanese #43
3 Mina Kelaid #35

Men’s Novice A
1 George Greene #37*
2 Bernie Lopez #28
3 Matt Veras #26
4 Michael Lennon #24
5 Rick Voss #30

Men’s Novice B
1 Jason Loewy #29
2 Nicholas Lutz #45
3 Matthew Phelan #40
4 Greg Hand #25
5 Emmanual Boada #32
6 Mina Kelaid #35
7 Joe Pitarresi #36
8 Chris Amaro #41

Men’s Masters 50+
1 Mark Landy #44
2 H. James Phillips #39
3 Rick Voss #30

Men’s Masters 40+
1 Tony Malczon #33
2 Conrad Reid #31
3 H. James Phillips #39

Men’s Open A
1 George Greene #37
2 Lincoln Haley #27
3 Conrad Reid #31
4 Mark Landy #44
5 Rick Voss #30

Men’s Open B
1 Alberto Umana #38*(P)
2 Denny Lopez #48
3 Bernie Lopez #28
4 Tony Malczon #33(BP)
5 Matt Veras #26

Men’s Open C
1 Jason Loewy #29
2 Aria Attia #42
3 Matthew Phelan #40
4 Jeremy Oberdick #46
5 Joe Pitarresi #36

* Division Winner
(BP) Best Poser/Presentation
(P) IFPA Pro Card Winner

AVBG
09-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Alberto looked great. I like the belt!

Team Franco
09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Alberto looked great. I like the belt!

The open overall winners get the belts!
In fact i will be changing the name to the The Mid Atlantic's Title Belt!
or something like that, LOL

Alberto will be a great pro. Nice size and leaness, and very balanced.

MsGuns
09-04-2009, 10:29 PM
The show I am promoting (OCB Mid Atlantic) is this Saturday (29th). And all is well and should be smooth sailing.

My prep is well also. Content with current strength at my bodyweight. The focus is to lose more fat in the backside! But I dont want to risk muscle while doing it.

Thats a catch 22 for us natties!!!

Team Franco
09-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Thats a catch 22 for us natties!!!

Amen to that.

Philip Ricardo
09-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Joe,

I just replied to your email...sorry it took forever. Hit me back with any other questions and I wont take so long this time...lol.

Rico

Team Franco
09-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Joe,

I just replied to your email...sorry it took forever. Hit me back with any other questions and I wont take so long this time...lol.

Rico

Thanks Rico!

nutratroy
09-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Thank you.

Looking forward to contributing and learning.

Currently, I am prepping for my second pro show, the IFPA Gaspari in Cape Cod. I am less then 10 week out, and feeling pretty good in comparison to two years back.

Joe, I am am just catching up here...welcome and man oh man, you looked pretty impressive!! Good luck in this show how yea feeling? (note of interest..I work for Gaspari...lol) Can't wait till you get it on. I am reading your whole thread:yep:

Team Franco
09-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Joe, I am am just catching up here...welcome and man oh man, you looked pretty impressive!! Good luck in this show how yea feeling? (note of interest..I work for Gaspari...lol) Can't wait till you get it on. I am reading your whole thread:yep:

Thanks for checking in!

Although I am sponsored by Scivation, I do like Gaspari's Myofusion.

As far as the prep, starting to feel tired later afternoons. But to believe its normal or I wouldnt be doing it right! LOL

nutratroy
09-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Thanks for checking in!

As far as the prep, starting to feel tired later afternoons. But to believe its normal or I wouldnt be doing it right! LOL

LOL...even though I am Gaspari, I use Marc's Extend and VasoCharge..lol.
:hmn:

Hey, dieting and dying feel the same?...LOL

Team Franco
10-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Here are one's with me and Doug.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/ThumbPage.aspx?e=5399101&g=0WPC000Q00

MsGuns
10-12-2009, 05:05 PM
CONGRATS on your Cape Cod WIN!

AVBG
10-12-2009, 05:13 PM
looked great Joe.

ving
10-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Fantastic work at the Cape Cod Joe - great to see your first pro win!

Team Franco
10-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Fantastic work at the Cape Cod Joe - great to see your first pro win!

Thanks my man. I am actually looking forward to making some improvements and doing better next time.

juggernaut
10-13-2009, 06:40 PM
In the next show, Joe will gain 27 lbs of LBM in 4 weeks while eating pizza, sausage and pepper sandwiches and eggplant parm all while maintaining his already low bodyfat percentage. After that, he'll walk on water and bless water into wine...ok I made that last part up.

Team Franco
10-20-2009, 01:56 PM
I started a new power/strength type routine. The goal is to regain strength and to focus on weak points.
Will keep you posted.

nutratroy
10-20-2009, 03:25 PM
I started a new power/strength type routine. The goal is to regain strength and to focus on weak points.
Will keep you posted.

Oh I do the same training protocol- congrats on the win!

flaccid_member
10-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for checking in!

Joe, you answered one of my questions. What happened with you and USP Labs?

Team Franco
10-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Joe, you answered one of my questions. What happened with you and USP Labs?

We were not a good fit, but I still like some of there products.

Team Franco
10-30-2009, 04:33 PM
This is a new show I will be promting next spring. Same great location as the Mid Atlantic!

Will be held on April 24th, Burlington New Jersey.

Anyone interested feel free to email me at [email protected]

flaccid_member
10-30-2009, 04:39 PM
We were not a good fit, but I still like some of there products.

Makes sense, Joe. Mark is a great guy, his products are spot-on and he is always readily available. And to top it off, he is a competitor. Keep us posted with your show. It might give one of my guys an option. :)

juggernaut
10-31-2009, 09:36 PM
The good thing about Joe is that he is constantly evolving to better and better ideas. I've known him for quite a long time, and he is true blessing in this sport and represents it well.

Joe, can I have my 10.00 for saying that now?

flaccid_member
10-31-2009, 09:51 PM
The good thing about Joe is that he is constantly evolving to better and better ideas. I've known him for quite a long time, and he is true blessing in this sport and represents it well.

Joe, can I have my 10.00 for saying that now?

I don't know Joe all that well, but he helped one of my friends w/ his diet last year and he came in his best shape to date. In regards to your post, I will def take it as truth.

And Joe wanted to know if he could pay you in Xtend or Vasocharge.

juggernaut
10-31-2009, 10:03 PM
I tried the lemon Xtend with Joe. Pretty damn good.

flaccid_member
10-31-2009, 10:29 PM
I tried the lemon Xtend with Joe. Pretty damn good.

They're all pretty good. I am on blue raspberry right now. :)

juggernaut
10-31-2009, 10:31 PM
A few of my clients like that particular flavor quite well.

flaccid_member
10-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Quite tasty, I know. Def check out their new protein powder, Solution 5. Don't know how it tastes yet, so I need a sample before I invest in large quantities of the stuff.

juggernaut
10-31-2009, 11:26 PM
Im laying off whey protein...stay tuned as to why soon.

Team Franco
11-01-2009, 07:12 AM
I don't know Joe all that well, but he helped one of my friends w/ his diet last year and he came in his best shape to date. In regards to your post, I will def take it as truth.

And Joe wanted to know if he could pay you in Xtend or Vasocharge.

Good one!!
Dont worry, the jugger will be taken care of. And thank you for the kind words.

So, who is your friend that I helped, better yet, who are you? LOL

MsGuns
11-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Joe, when you get a chance, Please Vote for the 2009 Rx Muscle Male and Female Forum Member of the Year! Thx for your time.

juggernaut
11-01-2009, 12:39 PM
fitbody for the win

flaccid_member
11-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Im laying off whey protein...stay tuned as to why soon.

Dude, that sucks, man! :mad: Don't tell me it's b/c of liver toxicity or some serious stuff like that. I absolutely need this stuff as "forcing" 6-8 solid meals does not do wonders for my digestive tract.:hypno:

Keep us posted why, jugg.

flaccid_member
11-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Good one!!
Dont worry, the jugger will be taken care of. And thank you for the kind words.

So, who is your friend that I helped, better yet, who are you? LOL

Look in your inbox, Joe. :)

MsGuns
11-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Dude, that sucks, man! :mad: Don't tell me it's b/c of liver toxicity or some serious stuff like that. I absolutely need this stuff as "forcing" 6-8 solid meals does not do wonders for my digestive tract.:hypno:

I was just in the hospital becaue my liver was constructed and my enzymes were way off...Doc said I had too much protein in my diet. I was like wow...and I only have a shake a day!

juggernaut
11-01-2009, 01:32 PM

hah nothing like that-its all good trust me...secret. to be released soon.

flaccid_member
11-01-2009, 01:43 PM
I was just in the hospital becaue my liver was constructed and my enzymes were way off...Doc said I had too much protein in my diet. I was like wow...and I only have a shake a day!

Yeah, MsGuns. My friend went through that recently right before his competition and had to totally reconstruct his diet. It sucked, but better to be healthy and alive.

I hope you're feeling better and your prep is going awesome! Less than 2 weeks for you! :yep:

hah nothing like that-its all good trust me...secret. to be released soon.

Awesome! :)

MsGuns
11-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Yeah, MsGuns. My friend went through that recently right before his competition and had to totally reconstruct his diet. It sucked, but better to be healthy and alive.

I hope you're feeling better and your prep is going awesome! Less than 2 weeks for you! :yep:

Awesome! :)

I actually went in the hospital for food poisoning...my fish got me GOOD!
Once the test came back that what the doc said.
Its been rough, but Im hanging...Thx

Philip Ricardo
11-04-2009, 06:27 PM

Joe,

I know its been a while since Ive been on hear, but I want to congratulate you on your win as well, and its a shame you are not doing the Yorton.
I saw the pics of you and Doug you posted the link for, and it was awe inspiring seeing you too battle and be in such fantastic condition! The shots of you and Doug preparing for your rear Lat Spread motivated me to go work back like never before...both of you have ridiculous christmas trees and back musculature.
I guess you must be in offseason size mode, but I am very happy that your outstanding physique was rewarded!:yep:

Team Franco
11-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Joe,

I know its been a while since Ive been on hear, but I want to congratulate you on your win as well, and its a shame you are not doing the Yorton.
I saw the pics of you and Doug you posted the link for, and it was awe inspiring seeing you too battle and be in such fantastic condition! The shots of you and Doug preparing for your rear Lat Spread motivated me to go work back like never before...both of you have ridiculous christmas trees and back musculature.
I guess you must be in offseason size mode, but I am very happy that your outstanding physique was rewarded!:yep:

Thanks Rico, much appreciated.
That picture of Doug and I is a favorite of mine.

But dont tell me you need motivation, LOL, your one of the best in my book!

juggernaut
11-05-2009, 12:08 PM
awww....

garry engle
11-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Hey Joe, just found this site. Great work at the Cape Cod. The pics of you and Doug really pushed my training up a notch.

Looking forward to following along your thread and learning with everyone else.
take care-
garry

AVBG
11-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Joe. What's the plans for 2010?

juggernaut
11-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Joe is running for Prime Minister of England.

juggernaut
11-10-2009, 01:16 PM

I believe Joe is going for the Yorton next year, the last time I spoke about this-I for one think he can take it.

AVBG
11-10-2009, 01:48 PM
I believe Joe is going for the Yorton next year, the last time I spoke about this-I for one think he can take it.

Agreed, he's got some amazing potential..he packs on good size and his presentation is second to none.

juggernaut
11-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Joe, in 2012, will save the world from apocalyptic destruction as well as win the Natural Olympia.

flaccid_member
11-10-2009, 08:37 PM

So does that mean Scivation will be the headline sponsor for the 2012 Olympics? And should Joe win, will be be guest posing @ the opening ceremonies?

Team Franco
11-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey Now!!

The only truth I see here is that I will be competing at the Yorton 2010
And no predictions. I am going to one of many in that show.

Other than that, sorrry, I will not be running for any office or blah blah blah, and not saving the world, but I do recycle.

juggernaut
11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
RecycleMan!!!

Team Franco
12-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Exciting things to happen next year! I have couple of pro figure girls competing in the spring, along with promoting a new spring show. And to top it off, will be showing the natty bb world my new supplement line.

Personally not sure of my comp plans but I will start logging my workouts here when I finish my powerlifting block of training.

Team Franco
12-20-2009, 11:24 AM
This week I just finished my powerlifting block, and was happy with the results.

It was about 9 weeks since the show, and I was able to get singles for a 285 bench, 405 squat, and 475 dead. Now, I am not claiming to be strong, but for me, these numbers a good. And I dont wear any gear. I know I can do more if I just give it more time and could do a total of greater than 1200 while weighing less than 170. We will see.

For kicks I may do more singles this week before I start my 4 day bodybuilding split.

juggernaut
12-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Joe, try the 531 training. I loved it for its simplicity and it ability to add strength like crazy. I have the ebook if you want to read it.

Team Franco
12-21-2009, 07:09 AM
Joe, try the 531 training. I loved it for its simplicity and it ability to add strength like crazy. I have the ebook if you want to read it.

I have read some nice things about it. Send it over.

Team Franco
12-22-2009, 09:21 AM
12/21

Quads and calves workout:

Well, why waste time. I dove right into the 4 day split today and the focus was front squats. Now, I haven't done any fronts in months, so I wanted to see were I was at. I happily did 295 for a triple. So, the goal will be to do 385 at some point.
Very happy on how I felt and doing more volume. This 4 day split is a low to moderate volume version. The focus is still strength!

Leg ext: 2 warms, 75/10 80/10
Front squat: 3 warms, 265/3 285/3 295/3
Sumo db squat: 2 warms, 145 plus 3 chains/ 12,11
Split db squat: 55/8,8
Donkey Calf raise: 2 warms, 90/15,14,14 drop set

10 min cardio cooldown.

Team Franco
12-23-2009, 06:15 AM
12/22

Chest and biceps:

Nice to start to this workout, and happy with the kick off numbers.

In db press: 3 warms, 95/5 100/8 102/8
Flat bench: 2 warms, 175/10 185/10
Chest dips: 1 warms, 3 chains/9,9,9
Barbell curl: 2 warms, 105/6 125/5 130/5
Rope curl: 2 warms, 60/8,8

15 min cardio

I am really sore from yesterdays front squats. Abs are sore!

juggernaut
12-23-2009, 08:51 AM
102 with the magnets you bought?

nutratroy
12-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Joe- Happy holidays! Keep eating!

Team Franco
12-23-2009, 04:48 PM
102 with the magnets you bought?

Thats right. Actually, they are 2.5 lbs

Team Franco
12-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Joe- Happy holidays! Keep eating!

Thanks brotha! You too.

Team Franco
12-23-2009, 04:49 PM
12/23

Back and hammy workout:

Felt great to mix things up and do some movements that have been on hold. Pump was on and just a solid workout.
Plan on increasing next time.

Pullups: 5 sets to fail
Bent over row: 2 warms, 195/8 205/8 210/8
Palm in pulldown: 2 warms, 125/10,11
Stiff leg deads: 2 warms, 315/5 335/5,5
Db leg curl: 1 wawrms, 45/8,7 drop set

10 min cooldown cardio

juggernaut
12-23-2009, 05:03 PM
haha thought you said you were going to ween off the deads?

Team Franco
12-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Yes, those were stiff (slightly bent knee) deads. :)

Team Franco
12-27-2009, 08:30 AM
12/24
Shoulder and tricep workout
25 min cardio

12/25
Rest

12/26

After a day of eating, drinking and being Merry, I had a killa of a quad workout.
The front squats were unconscious. Last time I did 295 for a triple and this workout, I nailed 305 and 315 for triples. Felt great.

Leg ext: 2 warms, 77/10 82/10
Front squat: 3 warms, 275/3 305/3 315/3
Db sumo squat: 1 warm, 145 plus 4 chains/12,12,11
Db split squat: 55/8 60/8,8
Calf raise: 5 sets

upper ab work: 4 sets

10 min cooldown.

Team Franco
12-27-2009, 07:07 PM
12/27
Chest and bicep workout:

Great workout and made gains throughout. Really happy of my current progress

In db press: 3 warms, 100/5 102.5/8,8
Flat bar press: 2 warms, 185/8 195/8
Chest dips: 4 sets to failure
Barbell curl: 3 warms, 125/5 135/5
Rope curl: 2 warms, 62/8,8

10 min cardio cooldown

Team Franco
12-28-2009, 03:42 PM
12/28

Back and hammies:

Tore it up from all angles today and made gains from last time.
And starting to approach PR territory in the stiff leg deads.

Pullups: 5 sets to failure
Bent over row: 2 warms, 195/8 210/8,8
Palm in puilldown: 2 warms, 135/10,10
Stiff leg deads: 2 warms, 345/5 355/5 drop sets
Db leg curl: 1 warm, 45/10,9

10 min cardio cooldown.

Team Franco
12-30-2009, 06:17 AM
12/29

Shoulder and tricep workout:

The weights keep on going up, feeling solid with each workout.
Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day, and will take off on Thur since we are going away tomorrow to Great Wolf Lodge. Looking forward to the mini trip with the family.
The its mini cut time to drop the junk weight.

Db delt press: 3 warms, 75/5 85/6,7
Upright row cable: 2 warms, 80/9 85/9
Side lateral: up and downs, 3 x
Tricep ext: 2 warms, 70/5 80/6,6
Double db kb: 2 warms, 25/10,11

15 min cardio

juggernaut
12-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Joe, how many pounds will you allow on, before you take off?

Team Franco
12-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Joe, how many pounds will you allow on, before you take off?

Its not so much a number, but feeling uncomfortable.
Personally, I can carry 25 plus pounds over contest weight, and that is where I am now. Truthfully, this weight came on from the holiday goodies, and so now its over, and to figure to drop 5 plus.

juggernaut
12-30-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm probably holding about 25 lbs myself. Want it?

MusclesMarinara
12-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Have a happy new year Joe!

i just emailed you a couple questions. Im gonna be doin my first show around the beginning of the summer and then i want to do your OCB show in august.

Good luck in 2010!

juggernaut
12-30-2009, 02:45 PM
He does have the April show to size your competition up. Think you'll be ready by April?

MusclesMarinara
12-30-2009, 03:03 PM
He does have the April show to size your competition up. Think you'll be ready by April?

no i dont lol.

ving
01-01-2010, 06:56 AM

Hey Joe, in comparing some of your photos from the Yorton cup in 07 to the Cape Cod, you looked to be in your best condition ever.
I'm looking to do the same thing this year and it would be great to hear about how you did it:

- What do you think was the main reason for the improvement? It looks like this time you did a lot more cardio, do you think that helped, especially using HIT cardio to burn the fat off the hams and glutes?

- In your online training journal it refers to stuiff like "Morning cardio: 35 min 20 interval" does that mean 35 min steady state cardio, followed by HIT? How long are the sprint and res periods?

Really appreciate the help, thank you!
Anyway hope I haven't overloaded you with too many questions

juggernaut
01-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Ving, the great thing about Joe and I've known him almost ten years, is that he is consistently bettering himself every contest he goes into. The guy plans everything pretty damn passionately.

Team Franco
01-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey Joe, in comparing some of your photos from the Yorton cup in 07 to the Cape Cod, you looked to be in your best condition ever.
I'm looking to do the same thing this year and it would be great to hear about how you did it:

- What do you think was the main reason for the improvement? It looks like this time you did a lot more cardio, do you think that helped, especially using HIT cardio to burn the fat off the hams and glutes?

- In your online training journal it refers to stuiff like "Morning cardio: 35 min 20 interval" does that mean 35 min steady state cardio, followed by HIT? How long are the sprint and res periods?

Really appreciate the help, thank you!
Anyway hope I haven't overloaded you with too many questions

No problem with the questions, and thanks for the kind words.

In a nut shell, having a 2 year break did me a lot of good. I think that once you hit a certain age the body just needs more time to recover and grow, or basically change.
The funny thing is that my bw was the same back in 2007, but my body comp with different. I was told that I obtained the grainy look, LOL.

Along with time, yes, I did a lot of cardio this time around. I felt that the extra cardio allowed me to eat more and therefor sustain better energy and solid workouts.

When I would write, 35 min cardio, 20 sprints, that just means I did a 5 min warm up, 20 sprints, and then a 10 min cooldown. Thus equally 35 total mins. My HIIT sprints are simple, 10 sec all out and then 50 slow.

Hope this helps.

Team Franco
01-01-2010, 03:59 PM
1/1

Quads and calves:

After two days off, I was ready to rock. Had a great workout this afternoon and its go time. Really happy hitting 2 triples with 315 on the front squat. I will continue to use this movement as the focus since I want to get my PR for a single.

Leg ext: 2 warm,s 80/10 85/10
Front squat: 3 warms, 275/3 315/3,3
Wide stance leg press: 2 warms, 405/14 450/11
Split db squat: 1 warm, 65/8,8
Calf work: 5 sets of high reps

10 min cooldown

Team Franco
01-02-2010, 04:37 PM
1/2
Chest and biceps workout:

More gains across the board. The best part is my recovery has been great and I do credit two things. The previous powerlifting split I did and the addition of using All In 1 for post workout.

In db press: 3 warms, 100/5 105/7,7
Flat bench: 2 warms, 185/8 200/8
Chest dips: 2 chains/10,8,8 drop set
Barbell curl: 2 warms, 115/5 135/5 140/5
Rope curl: 1 warm, 60/8 65/7 drop set

ab work: 6 sets
15 min cardio

ving
01-02-2010, 08:43 PM
No problem with the questions, and thanks for the kind words.

In a nut shell, having a 2 year break did me a lot of good. I think that once you hit a certain age the body just needs more time to recover and grow, or basically change.
The funny thing is that my bw was the same back in 2007, but my body comp with different. I was told that I obtained the grainy look, LOL.

Along with time, yes, I did a lot of cardio this time around. I felt that the extra cardio allowed me to eat more and therefor sustain better energy and solid workouts.

When I would write, 35 min cardio, 20 sprints, that just means I did a 5 min warm up, 20 sprints, and then a 10 min cooldown. Thus equally 35 total mins. My HIIT sprints are simple, 10 sec all out and then 50 slow.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Joe, it's great to be able to ask questions off someone who obviously knows how to get it done - much appreciated.

Team Franco
01-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks Joe, it's great to be able to ask questions off someone who obviously knows how to get it done - much appreciated.

You bet my man!

1/3
Back and hamms workout:

Great workout today and mix it up a tad. Back was a tad stiff so I did higher reps with the stiff legs but then went heavier on the leg curls. Pump was on!

Pullups: 5 set to failure
Bent over row: 2 warm,s 195/8 215/8,9
Palm in pulldown: 2 wamr, s137/10,8
Stiff leg deads: 2 warms, 225/15,16
Leg curl: 2 warms, 60/5 65/5 70/4 drop set

10 min cooldown.

Team Franco
01-04-2010, 05:06 PM
1/4
Shoulder and Tricep workout:

Nice finish to this round and will have one more pass of the same movements.
I think I did a PR on delt presses, at least for reps I did. Either way, strength is solid.

Db delt press: 3 warm's 80/5 90/6,6
Upright row cable: 2 warms, 85/8,9
Side lateral: up and downs, 3x
Tricep bar ext: 2 warms, 75/5 85/6,5
Double db kb: 1 warm, 25/11,10,10
Low ab work: 5 sets

15 min cardio

1/5
will be a rest day from the weights, but will do 30 min cardio

Team Franco
01-06-2010, 07:20 PM
1/6

The fun continues. Felt strong today but was too eager.
I nailed the goal of today's workout doing 335 for two doubles. But than went for a previous best of 365. Made it half way up and then bailed, LOL. I know it will be soon and to surpass my PR, but needs a little more time. This is the only 4th time doing front squats since the show anyway!

Leg ext: 3 warms
Front squat: 3 warms, 285/3 335/2,2 365 missed
Wide leg press: 2 warms, 450/10 475/8,9
Split db squat: 1 warms, 65/8 70/8
Leg ext: 2 sets to failure
Calf work: 5 sets

10 min cooldown

Team Franco
01-07-2010, 03:24 PM
1/7
Chest and triceps workout:

Today I added a new product to the pre workout powder. I am a huge fan of Scivations Vaso, and today I added Primaforces 1,3-dimethylamylamine into the mix. The added kick was enough to surpass a previous best on incline db presses and match barbell curls best.

Note: since eating much cleaner of the past five days, I have dropped
over 3 pounds! What junk does to the body?

In db press: 3 warm,s 100/5 110/6,6
Flat bench: 2 warms, 190/8 205/8
Chest dips: 2 chains: 10,10,8 drop set
Barbell curl: 3 warms 135/5 145/5
Rope curl: 2 warms, 65/8,9

upper ab work:

15 min cardio

Team Franco
01-09-2010, 08:18 AM
1/8

Back and hammy workout:

Led off with bent over row to focus on going heavy. End result was doing a personal best with 275 for 5. this was after inching up to see what I can do. Workout was solid and nailed another best doing 375 for 5 on stiff leg deads.

Bent over row:4 warms, 235/5 255/6 275/5
Pullups: 4 sets to failure
Palm in pulldown: 1 warms, 130/10 140/8 drop set
Stiff leg deads: 3 warms, 365/5 375/5
Db leg curl: 40/12,11,11

10 min cooldown

Side note: Trained Lisa tonight who won here pro card last year and her debut is this year for the IFPA. I am always impressed with her raw strength. No gear squat workout. After doing leg ext to failure, and a few squat warms, she nailed 195/5 205/5 and 215 for 5. The best part was doing a drop set with 155 for 20!
My jaw dropped!

Team Franco
01-10-2010, 08:05 AM
1/9

A week of personal bests, and it continued with the db press.
For the first time, I did 95 for 6 and then did 100 for 5. This was a great finish to this round as next week I will be doing a different rotation.
Can it be the All In 1? This is the only recent change.

Db shoulder press: 3 warms, 85/5 95/6 100/5
Upright row: 3 warms, 110/9,8
side lateral: up and downs, 3 x
cable Tri ext: 3 warms, 65/9,8 drop set
Rope press: 2 warms, 40/11,10

low ab work
15 min cardio

1/10
30 min morning cardio

Team Franco
01-11-2010, 04:10 PM
1/11

Quad and calves workout:

The fun continues. New rotation but keeping the front squats in but with a leg ext warm up. Content with doing 2 doubles, each with 335 and 345.

Front squat: 4 warms, 315/3 335/2 345/2 drop set
Leg ext: 1 warm, 75/10 80/11
Db walk lunge: 1 warm, 65/6 70/6
Leg press x reps: 1 warm, 270/15 295/15
calf work: 1 warm, 3 dc sets

10 min cooldown.

Team Franco
01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
1/12
Chest and biceps.

Great starting number for the first round. Planning on doing more next time. By the last movement I was starting to feel a tad rundown. I think its a combo of lack of sleep plus the beginning of getting sick. My son and wife have been sick this past week, so its a matter of time I guess.

Slight in bar press: 3 warms, 185/8 210/5 230/5,5
Flat db press: 2 warms, 90/8,8
In db fly: 2 warms, 55/10,8
In db curl: 2 warms, 50/5 55/4,4
Cable curl: 1 warm 60/10 65/8 drop set

15 min cardio

AVBG
01-13-2010, 05:24 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/AVBG/Aus%20GP08/896418e6.jpg

Team Franco
01-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Cool pic!

AVBG
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks Joe. I didn't mean to put it in your thread, initially. Just in the last 9.5 weeks for my next show

Team Franco
01-13-2010, 04:47 PM
1/13
Back and hammy workout:

New round and ready to nail it. Leading off with old school in the corner t bar rows really drive the blood to the back. And now doing deads after a couple of movements. May not lift as much this way, but from a bodybuilding perspective, more effective in hitting the back. This time I will focus on higher reps on deads, going to aim for two sets for 10 plus reps.

T bar rows: 3 warms, 205/5 225/5,6
Lat pulldown under: 2 warms, 135/9 140/8
Deads: 3 warms, 315/12,12
Rope pulldown: 1 warm, 110/11,9
Assisted Glute Hams: 4 x

10 min cooddown.

Team Franco
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
1/14

Nice finish to this round and solid workout. But boy, I am sore from yesterday and looking forward to a day off tomorrow. T bar row really hit the rear delt and the hams are screaming. I was happy to hit 50's in the side laterals.

Side lateral: 3 warms, 45/5 50/5,6
Bar shrug: 2 warms, 245/8 250/7 drop set
Cable front raise: 2 warms, 35/10 40/9
Tricep dips: 2 warms, 4chains/7,7,6
Rope pressdown: 2 warms, 50/10 52/9

upper ab work
15 min cardio

1/15
Steady state cardio at 30 mins

juggernaut
01-14-2010, 10:26 PM
For the back-I take a row handle and throw it on the chin bar for weighted close grip chins. I get insane pumps in the lats and rear delts.

juggernaut
01-14-2010, 10:27 PM
good work. Whats your bodyfat at 9.5 weeks away?

AVBG
01-14-2010, 10:32 PM
good work. Whats your bodyfat at 9.5 weeks away?

It's around 9% at moment.. Tmrw is 8 weeks out.

Here's another backstage

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/AVBG/Aus%20GP08/ae65c13b.jpg

juggernaut
01-15-2010, 09:19 AM
ya got the Ronnie thing going with the abs. Good work.

Team Franco
01-17-2010, 06:53 PM
1/16

Quads and calves:

Solid early morning workout. Was happy doing a single with 355 even though I was achy, LOL. This old body needs time to wake up. Other than that, increase across the board. Another note, I used knee wraps on a drop set. Made the set easier and did more reps, but a strange feel in which it didn't seem I could go as deep. Anyone?

Front squat: 4 warms, 275/5 315/3 335/2 355/1 drop set
Leg ext: 1 warm, 77/10 82/11
Walking db lunge: 1 warm, 75/6,6
Leg press x reps: 1 warm, 315/15,15
Calf work: dc sets

10 min cooldown

1/17

Another morning workout, and did the work. Some gains throughout and the pump was on.

Slight in bar press: 3 warms, 185/8 215/5 230/4,5
Flat db press: 2 warms, 95/8,8
In db fly: 2 warms, 60/9,9
In db curl: 2 warms, 50/5 55/4 drop set
cable curl: 1 warm, 60/8 67/8 drop set

low ab work

15 min cardio

AVBG
01-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Good work Joe

juggernaut
01-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Joe, I use wraps when I do deep front squats. I love the ability I have when using them. A sense of security almost. My knees stay aligned and dont dive in.

juggernaut
01-17-2010, 07:50 PM
btw-which wraps do you use? I use these:

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SLEEVES_KNEE_XT

Team Franco
01-18-2010, 05:58 PM
1/18
Back and hammy workout:

Well rested workout today, and made great gains on the t bar row! Never really used it as a focus exercise, so should be cool to see what I top off with. The goal will be doing 6 plates full range for reps. Also, nailed the higher rep deads which almost made me get sick. Can you dig it?

T bar rows: 3 warms, 205/5 230/5 240/7
Lat pull under grip: 2 warms, 145/8,7
Deads: 2 warms, 315/5 335/10,11
Rope pulldown: 100/11,11,12
Glute ham assisted: 5 x

10 min cooldown

Team Franco
01-19-2010, 03:15 PM
1/19
Shoulders and tricep workout:

Feeling sore and beat going into today's workout. Good stuff, but just out of whack a tad. Still made increases straight threw as I conclude a solid second round. Micro loading side laterals and using loose form and will be breaking a pr next week.

Side lateral: 2 warms, 42/8 47/5 55/5,5
Barbell shrug: 2 warms, 245/9 265/8 drop set
Front raise cable: 2 warms, 40/9 45/9
Rope pressdown: 2 warms, 60/6,7,6
Tricep dips: 1 warms, 2 chains x 2 failure

upper ab work: 4 sets

15 min cardio

1/20
30 min cardio

AVBG
01-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Are you training for a particular show ?

Team Franco
01-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Are you training for a particular show ?

I am always training for a show! Just not sure when?

1/21

Felt good going into today's workout. All gains were made but I had a miss on 375.I did video the lift, depth was there, and got it going. About half way, I bailed and lost the weight. Oh well, next time I will give it another shot. I will then either lay of of fronts for a while or did a progression starting with lighter weight.

Front squats: bunch of warms! 315/3 355/1 375/missed 2 drop sets
Leg ext: 1 warms, 80/10 85/12
Walk db lunge: 1 warms, 75/6 80/6
Leg press x reps: 1 warms, 325/15,15

10 min cooldown.

AVBG
01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
How far over comp weight are you at moment?

Team Franco
01-22-2010, 07:00 AM
How far over comp weight are you at moment?

About 25 pounds, but on my way to losing 5 plus.
I like to eat and with 2 kids its easy! LOL

AVBG
01-22-2010, 07:03 AM
About 25 pounds, but on my way to losing 5 plus.
I like to eat and with 2 kids its easy! LOL

Tell me about it? I got two as well and when not on pre-contest diet I find myself eating their left overs!

Team Franco
01-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Tell me about it? I got two as well and when not on pre-contest diet I find myself eating their left overs!

Ha ha, thats funny. I hate seeing them leave their food. So I clean up to often. Which in turns equals weight gain!

AVBG
01-22-2010, 12:50 PM
We're similar Joe. I put on weight easy

Team Franco
01-22-2010, 04:34 PM
1/22

Chest and biceps

A little late start to the workout and hate when that happens. But it went according to plan and even better since I got some great news at the end when I was cooling down! Rep and weight gains across the board and finally did the in db curl for 2 5's, LOL Not a world beater pr, but something I wanted to hit.

Slight in bar press: 4 warms, 215/5 235/4,4
Flat db press: 1 warms, 95/8,8,8
In db fly: 1 warm, 60/8,9 drop set
In db curl: 2 warm, 50/5 55/5,5 drop set
Cable curl: 1 warm, 60/8 65/9

15 min cardio

AVBG
01-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Hey Joe, when you do the 15 min cardio? Is that interval training and is it on treadmill or bike?

Team Franco
01-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Just a steady state to cooldown and burn a few calories. Nothing serious.

AVBG
01-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Just a steady state to cooldown and burn a few calories. Nothing serious.

Still says nothing.. Lol (is "steady state the brand or the model of the cardio equip?).

juggernaut
01-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Having trained under Joe, I can tell you that it basically means a longer cooldown. However he can be evil on his trainees and make 15 minutes a bitch cardio session. The above is a simple cooldown.

Team Franco
01-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Still says nothing.. Lol (is "steady state the brand or the model of the cardio equip?).

My bad! By the Jugger is correct. Steady state is just against little resistance, and to cool down.

1/23
Back and hammy workout:

A killa workout today nailed a PR with the t bar rows. Banged out 6 with 270!
In addition, I am progressing nicely with the higher reps deads as I did 13 reps with 345. I was gassed but was able to do 8 on the second set. Next week will be 355.

T bar rows: 3 warms, 225/5 250/5 270/6
Lat pull under: 1 wamrs, 135/8 145/8,8
Deads: 3 warms, 345/13,8
Rope pulldown: 100/10,12,12
Glute ham assisted: 3 x
Leg curl: 2x

10 min cooldown.

video of higher rep deads
YouTube- Dead lifting 345 for almost 13, at the end of a back workout.

Team Franco
01-25-2010, 07:04 AM
1/24
Delts and tricep workout:

Decent workout but nothing special to report. Trained earlier due to family stuff. And the workout got cut short since my son wanted to play catch! I couldn't turn him down as he was wearing his Yankee hat and new glove! So, I missed one exercise and but this rarely happens

Side laterals: 3 warms, 50/5 55/4 2 drop sets
Barbell shrugs: 2 warms, 265/8 275/6 drop set
Front raise db: 2 warms, 30/8 32/8
Rope press: 2 warms, 60/7,7
Baseball catch!

1/25
30 min cardio steady state

Team Franco
01-25-2010, 03:10 PM
1/25

Well, I thought I was going to rest, but oh well. I continued with the fronts squats but used the chains today to mix it up. Great pump and gains from the workout. This was the last round for these movements, but I may keep front squats in, not sure yet.

Leg ext: 2 warms 85/10 95/10
Front squat plus 4 chains: tot weight, 2 warms, 265/5 275/5 285/5 295/5
Db walk lunge: 1 warm, 75/6 85/6
Leg press x reps: 1 warm, 340/15,15

low abs
12 min cardio cooldown.

AVBG
01-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey Joe, how quick could you organize to send me a copy of t
your posing tutorial DVD?

Team Franco
01-26-2010, 08:45 AM
This week.

juggernaut
01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Hey Joe, how quick could you organize to send me a copy of t
your posing tutorial DVD?
I have a copy of the dvd, and it is great to say the very least. If you are in PA, make an opportunity to go to one of Joe's classes.

AVBG
01-26-2010, 02:59 PM
This week.

Do you have a link for where I can order it?

juggernaut
01-26-2010, 03:01 PM
http://www.teamfrancobodybuilding.com/

Go to the Posing tab;

At the very bottom of the page; also for a small investment, try out the podcasts. A great wealth of information that I editted with Joe. Lots of seriously useful information there.

AVBG
01-26-2010, 03:44 PM
This week.

You're on. I just bought a copy online.

juggernaut
01-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Sydney Austraila...damn Joe...good luck!

AVBG
01-26-2010, 03:49 PM
If gets sent today t will arrive 7-10 days

Team Franco
01-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Will be in the mail Wed. How much is this going to cost me? LOL
Either way, its cool.

1/26

Chest and bicep workout:
Solid training today and pushed it a bit with the press. Not much to report but an overall pump.

Slight inc bench: 3 warms, 215/3 235/3 245/3,3 drop set
Flat db press: 1 warms, 95/8 100/7 drop set
In fly: 2 sets ss with push ups
Cable curl: 2 warms, 70/8 80/6,5
In db curl: 2 descending sets

upper ab work 4 sets

15 min cardio

juggernaut
01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
1000000 bucks. Need spare change for a stamp?

Team Franco
01-27-2010, 06:24 PM
1/27
Back and hammy:

Stayed with the outline but mixed the order up. I was happy to do the higher reps deads with 365. Just a few weeks ago I started with 315, so progress was made. Next round will be focus on heavy deads again.

Dead lift: 4 warms, 365/14,8
Lat pullunder: 2 warms, 140/8,8
T bar row: 1 warm, 180/7,8 drop set
Rope pulldown: 1 warms, 110/11 115/10
Glute ham assisted: 3 x
Leg curl 2 x

low abs 4 sets
12 min cardio cooldown.

YouTube- Deadlift 365 x 14

Team Franco
01-28-2010, 02:13 PM
1/28

Good workout today. Feeling a bit sore from yesterdays training, but its all good.
Happy with the progression so far, and after tomorrow's rest day, starts a new round. Still up in the air about the fronts though,LOL.

Side lateral: 3 warms, 40/8,8,9
Bar shrug: 2 warms, 265/8,8 2 drop set
Front Raise db: 1 warms, 30/8 35/8 drop set
Tricep dips: 1 warms, 45/6,7,7,6
Rope pressdown: 1 wamr, 50/9 55/8 drop set

upper abs 4 sets

15 min cardio

1/29
30min ss cardio

sulcop
01-30-2010, 07:53 PM
What's up Joe. It's Sully. Found my way over hear chasing info on Dave P's diet and saw your forum. Nice job my friend!

Team Franco
01-31-2010, 12:44 PM
What's up Joe. It's Sully. Found my way over hear chasing info on Dave P's diet and saw your forum. Nice job my friend!

Great to hear from you Sully and thanks for checking in!
Will you will at any of the upcoming IFPA show's?

1/31
Quads and calves:

Missed out on yesterdays training due to some family stuff. The workout was done early today and man, it was rough for the fact of the cold! I decided to go with reg back squats and do a block of slow increases. This is my own power lifting design. After about 8 or 9 workouts, I will test out for the fun of it.
Even though it took a lot to warm up, the weight was not too challenging and the workout was great. This is a favorite rotation of mine.

Squat: 4 warms, 275/5 315/5,5,5
Hack squat: 2 warms, 270/6,8 drop set
Bar lunge: 1 warm, 145/6 155/6
Sissy squat: 1 warm, 2 chains/15,15
Single calf work: 2 warms, 3 chains/ 13,12,10 drop set

low ab work 4 sets

juggernaut
01-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Joe, I meant to ask, why the high rep deadlifts? Any particular physiological reason, or to just find out what you can do?

sulcop
01-31-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi Joe, not sure. I am scheduled to deploy over seas so not sure. I should be around for the Yorton. Good luck and I hope to see you soon.

Team Franco
02-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Joe, I meant to ask, why the high rep deadlifts? Any particular physiological reason, or to just find out what you can do?

Just to mix it up, but the high rep deads gave me an awesome pump both in the hams and back. Give it a try!

Team Franco
02-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Hi Joe, not sure. I am scheduled to deploy over seas so not sure. I should be around for the Yorton. Good luck and I hope to see you soon.

Good luck to you Sully and be safe. Not competing this year, but will attend instead. See you soon.

Team Franco
02-01-2010, 02:03 PM
2/1
Chest and bicep workout:

Good start to this round considering my house has become the Monday Pit Movie. I am not saying we have a home falling apart, but with the addition, just about every single type of worker is doing there thing today. And it so happens they had to do some work in my gym!!

Flat db press: 3 warms, 100/6 110/6,7
In db press: 85/8,8,6 drop set
Flat bar x reps with chains: 4 sets
Hammer curl: 3 warms, 60/6 65/6
Con curl: 3 descending sets

15 min cardio

juggernaut
02-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Joe, it might be a good time to think about using Cornerstone for a while dont you think? Might even be able to network All in 1!

Team Franco
02-02-2010, 02:13 PM
2/2
Back and hammy:

Started the dead lift focus routine, and off to a nice start. The best part, no distractions! LOL The only problem I see is simply the grip but hoping that will get stronger too. And I will keep the deads as the second movement as the pulldown simply help warm the upper body.

Lat pulldown wide: 2 warm, 145/6 160/6,7
Deads: 3 warms, 365/5 375/5,5,5
Db bench row: 1 warms, 75/10 80/10,9
High pulldown: 1 warm, 40/12,12
Leg curl: 2 warms, 60/6 65/5,5

upper ab work
10 min cooldown

Notes: I added cinnamon to my All In 1. And pow! Party in my belly :yep:

J Franco
02-03-2010, 07:21 PM
2/3

Fast paced workout and it was solid. Very happy with the strength.
And nice finish to the first round of the newer routine.

High incline bar press: 4 warms, 185/6 205/5,5
Seated side lateral: 2 warms, 35/8 40/8
Front raise: 2 warms, 65/8 70/8
Tricep pressdown: 2 warm,s 80/6 90/6,6
Db ext: 1 warm, 30/8,7 drop set

15 min cardio

2/4

Off, 30 min cardio

STACEYK
02-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Hey Joe, How are you? Will you be promoting any shows this year? when and where? I have two trainers where I work who are interested. Email me the details please. Also, the one guy I mentioned to him your name and to contact you since he also knows Al who you worked with last year from the gym. I won't be competing this year. I am doing some different things, taking golf lessons.

J Franco
02-05-2010, 08:30 PM
2/5

Solid workout today and made all gains from last round. Content and looking forward to taking it to the next level.

Squat: 4 warms, 285/5 325/5,5,6
Hack squat: 2 warms, 270/6 280/8 180/13
Bar lunge: 1 warm, 150/6 160/6
Leg ext: 60/15 70/14
Calf works: 2 warms singles with chains 3x, drop sets

low ab work

10 min cardio.

AVBG
02-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Hey Joe, did you receive the reset password link to your email address? If you follow that through you'll be then able to get back onto the Team Franco username.

J Franco
02-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Hey Joe, did you receive the reset password link to your email address? If you follow that through you'll be then able to get back onto the Team Franco username.

No it doenst work. I type my email but I never recieve the email that contains the link! I will try again though.

J Franco
02-06-2010, 12:06 PM
2/6
Chest and bicep workout:

Nice early workout. Wore many layers and an old set of batting glove as my gym was cold since no clients today. I actually nailed PR with flat db pressing doing 115 for 2 sets of 5. This was a first. Rest of the workout was solid and warmed up fast.

Flat db press: 3 warms, 105/5 115/5,5
In db press: 85/9.8.8 drop set
Flat bench with chains: X reps 4 sets
Hammer curl: 3 warms, 65/6 70/6
con curl: 3 descending sets

upper ab work
15 min cardio

J Franco
02-07-2010, 05:59 PM
2/7
Back and hammy workout.

Felt good going into today's workout and moved forward with the deads The second and third set was actually more comfortable then the first with 385. Rest of the workout had gains.

Lat pulldown wide: 2 warms, 147/6 162/6,7
Deads: 3 warms, 365/5 385/5,5,5
Db bench row: 1 warm, 80/8 85/8,8
High pulldown: 1 warm, 42/11,10
Leg curl: 2 warms, 60/6 67/5,5

10 min cardio

AVBG
02-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Hey Joe (I like saying that lol- Hendrix rocks) i got the posing DVD today.. I am going to watch it tonight. Thanks.

AVBG
02-08-2010, 01:40 AM
No it doenst work. I type my email but I never recieve the email that contains the link! I will try again though.

Send a pm to NYC big mike or sallyann to get it sorted out.. They'll need to reset the settings.

J Franco
02-08-2010, 03:06 PM
2/8

Not much to report. Mixed it up a tad for the shoulders and did the "Arnold Press" for the lead off. Felt good. Made increase for rest of the workout.

Arnold db press: 3 warms, 65/8 75/7,6
Barbell front raise: 2 warms, 70/8 80/8
Seated side lateral: 2 warms, 40/7 35/10
Tricep press: 2 warms, 85/6 92/6,7
Db ext: 30/9,8,8 drop set

15 min cardio

J Franco
02-11-2010, 04:01 PM
2/9

Scheduled rest day. But was also a sick day. Came down with a nasty stomach virus.
Had one meal all day and that was a bowl of fruit loops!
2/10

Train light and didn't record. Energy was low but still got a nice pump.

2/11

Chest and biceps.

Back at full swing. Even after shoveling a ton the last couple of days, still had nice strength. Attempted 120's, but just doing the first was a PIA! LOL Increases across the board.

Flat db press: 3 warms, 105/5 115/5 120/3
In db press: 85/10.9.8.7
Flat Bar press with chains: 4 sets, total weight 180
Hammer curl: 3 warms, 65/6 75/6
Barbell Curl, 15's: 4 sets

Upper ab work
15 min cardio

J Franco
02-12-2010, 02:38 PM
2/12
Back and hammy workout:

Moving on up! Nailed 395 for 5 for 3 sets. Next time will be doing 3 sets of 4's. The grip seems to be adjusting as the weight increases. Happy not to be using straps.

Lat pulldown wide: 2 warms, 150/6 165/6,7
Deads: 3 warms 365/5 395/5,5,5
Db bench row: 2 warms, 85/8,8
Str arm pd: 1 warms, 42/11,11
Leg curl: 2 warm, 60/5 70/5,5 drop set

10 min cardio

J Franco
02-14-2010, 09:13 PM
2/14
Delts and triceps:

Really good early morning workout. Increase straight through and a personal best on the seated barbell shoulder press.

My family have booked a vaca for the early summer. Going away June 20th. So with that, is go time to lose some body fat. The goal to drop 10 pounds in the 20 weeks till the trip.

Bar delt press: 3 warm, 195/5 215/5,5
Seated side lateral: 2 warms, 40/8,9
Front raise: 2 warms, 80/8,9
Tricep press: 2 warm, 85/6 95/5 drop set
Db Ext: 35, 40, 35x2

ab work 4 sets

17:30 min cardio

AVBG
02-14-2010, 09:22 PM
I would have suggested 9:43sec cardio instead of the 17:30. Lol DVD is great Joe it's going to help.. I have some ideas for this type of thing, something that can help the competitor condition themselves to getting on stage..

J Franco
02-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Great to hear Alex. Hope it helps your posing along.

2/15

Quads and calves.

I think I am finally over this stomach thing that attach me last Monday night.
Felt good today during the training and back at it with the 3x3 squats. A little changing but nothing serious. The rest of the workout was on point.

Squat: 4 warms, 315/4 335/3,3,4
Hack Squat: 2 warms, 270/6 295/8 180/14
Barbell lunge: 1 warms, 155/6 165/6
Leg ext: 2 burnout sets
Calf work: 1 warm, 3 singles, drop set

low ab work
10 min cardio

AVBG
02-15-2010, 09:20 PM
It will help I am sure Joe.. My idea is to co-ordinate posing drills in the sequence that they will need to perform on them on stage, with each level increasing the time holding the pose (each week focusing on nuances like tensing hams or raising arms higher) so the rookie is not shaking when holding the pose at the show... What do you think Joe?

J Franco
02-16-2010, 06:21 PM
It will help I am sure Joe.. My idea is to co-ordinate posing drills in the sequence that they will need to perform on them on stage, with each level increasing the time holding the pose (each week focusing on nuances like tensing hams or raising arms higher) so the rookie is not shaking when holding the pose at the show... What do you think Joe?

Solid.

J Franco
02-16-2010, 06:22 PM
2/16

Nice workout today and did the 120's for 4. Just setting these up is a PIA!, LOL.
Not much else to report, but already looking forward to doing the deads tomorrow!

Flat db press: 3 warms, 105/5 115/5 120/4
In db press: 85/10,8,8,6
Flat bar press x reps with chains: 4 sets
Hammer db curl: 3 warms, 70/6 80/6
Con curls: 1 warms, 35/11,10

17 min cardio

J Franco
02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
1/17
Back and hammy workout:

The focus were the deads today and each set was different. The first set of 405 wasn't too bad, more or less an adjustment. The second, I was able to get one more rep. And the first rep for the third set was the easiest but my
grip just gave out when I attempted 4 reps.

Lat pulldown wide: 4 warm up sets
Deads: 3 warm, 365/5 405/3,4,3
Db bench row: 1 warm, 85/8,9,9
Lat pulldown wide: 3 x rep sets
Leg curl: 2 warms, 60/6 70/5 60/6

12 min cardio

J Franco
02-18-2010, 04:55 PM
1/18
Delt and tricep workout:

Good fast paced today, and match the lead off from last week. All other movements were increased. Tomorrow is a scheduled day off but shifting that till Saturday. Going to AC tomorrow night to watch "The Fight". Looking forward to workout already.

Barbell delt press: 4 warms, 195/6 215/5,5
Seated Side lateral: 2 warms, 40/8 42/8
Front raise: 2 warm,s 80/8 85/9
Tricep pressdown: 2 warms, 85/6 95/6 drop set
Db ext: 1 warms, 35/7,6 drop set

upper ab work
17 min cardio

J Franco
02-20-2010, 02:51 PM
2/19
Quads and calves:

Great workout and left out last movement due to time. But the goal was met and will move on to more weight next time. Best part was starting a new round of exercises, or basically going back to routine A.

Squat: 4 warms, 315/4 345/3,3,4
Leg Ext: 2 warms, 85/10,11
Leg Press: 2 warms, 405/8 450/11
Donkey Calf: 2 warms, 90/15,13,11 drop set

12 min cardio

2/20
Will try to do cardio. Just got home from AC, and catching up!

juggernaut
02-20-2010, 11:50 PM
My quad work today was completely wasteful. We didnt get in until 430am at the Pool Bar in Harrahs. Shouldve come!

J Franco
02-21-2010, 03:44 PM
430? I crashed at 1pm.

2/21

Great workout and pump today. Just about picked things up from almost 2 months back doing this workout.

in db press: 3 warms, 105/5 110/5,5
Flat bar: 2 warms, 185/8 205/8
Chest dips: 2 chains/10,8 bw/12,11
Bar curl: 3 warms, 135/5 140/5
Rope curl: 1 warm, 60/8,7 drop set

upper ab work
17 min cardio

J Franco
02-22-2010, 06:32 PM
2/22

Back and hammy workout:

Felt good going in and it was nice to mix up some of the exercises. Deads are still the focus, but I lost focus after the first set of 415 for 3. It just knock me out, so to play it safe I did a drop with 315 instead of doing another. All in all a great pump as the higher rep dead brought it on.

Pullups: 4 sets
Deads: 3 warms, 375/3 415/3 315/15
Palm in pulldown: 2 warms, 140/8,9
Db bent row: 1 warm, 75/9,9
Leg curl: 2 warms, 60/6 50/8

12 min cardio

J Franco
02-23-2010, 02:26 PM
2/23

Nice finish to the newer round. Really happy to hittin the highs from last time on the db press. Strength continues to move up, and body weight is slowly doing down, LOL

Db delt press: 3 warms, 85/5 95/5,6
Upright row: 2 warms, 115/7,7
Side lateral up and downs: 3 x
Lying tri ext: 2 warms, 70/8 80/8,9
Reverse tri pressdown: 1 warm, 55/8 60/9

ab work: 4 sets

17 min cardio.

2/24
Cardio to be done for 32 min

J Franco
02-24-2010, 02:46 PM
2/24

Banging workout today! Straight gains, and looking forward to the next round.
I have moved my schedule off day after chest/bi before back. This should give my legs and bi's a little more rest before hitting deads.

Squat: 4 warms, 325/4 355/3,3,3
Leg ext: 2 warms, 90/10,8
Leg press: 2 warms, 450/8,11
Split db squat: 55/8 60/8
Donkey calf: 2 warms, 90/15 135/13,12 drop set

12 min cardio

J Franco
02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
2/25

Excellent workout today! Lead off with flats instead of in db press. My wrist is acting up, so thought to avoid heavier db's. And changed the rep scheme on the curls to also accommodate. Happy with the flats as I haven't done any lead offs since December.

Flat bench: 4 warms, 225/6 245/4 250/3,3
Chest dips: 2 warms, 4 chains/8,7
In db press: X reps with 65 for 4 sets
Barbell Curl: 2 warms, 105/8 115/8 85/12
Rope curl: 1 warm 55/8,9

low ab work

17 min cardio

J Franco
02-26-2010, 04:25 PM
2/25
Back and hammy workout:

Today was suppose to be a rest day but since my schedule looks busy tomorrow, I whacked my back today! Went with the higher rep deads due to the shorter rest. More or less, I was breathing heavy after them throughout the entire workout. I matched my best and knew I could have done a couple more, but the hands just gave up first. All in all, gains made.

Pull ups: 4 sets to failure
Deads: 3 warms, 365/14 315/11
Lat pulldown palms in: 2 warms, 140/8,9
Db bent row: 1 warm, 75/10 77/10
Leg curl: 2 warms, 55/8,7

12 min cardio.

2/26

Cardio only at 32 min

juggernaut
02-27-2010, 01:57 AM
dang Joseph-365 with 14 reps. Amazing.

FloridaMuscle
02-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Joe,

You have a great physique. You've found that lower volume of sets and increased frequency works well for you?

Raphael

J Franco
03-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Joe,

You have a great physique. You've found that lower volume of sets and increased frequency works well for you?

Raphael

Thanks Raphael. As far as my training goes, I do vary the splits but like your wrote, I dont do crazy amounts of volume.

I think my workouts have just enough volume to be intense from start to finish.

J Franco
03-01-2010, 11:38 AM
2/28 and 3/1

Came down with something Saturday night. Aches, chills and feeling lousy. Better this morning, but will rest up since I got little sleep.

Side note, I was sore as all out from the high rep deads on Saturday. Even the hammies!

FloridaMuscle
03-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks Raphael. As far as my training goes, I do vary the splits but like your wrote, I dont do crazy amounts of volume.

I think my workouts have just enough volume to be intense from start to finish.

Thanks, Joe. What is your current split? I really enjoy your thread. I'm sort of making my way through from the beginning because I just found it recently. Good stuff!

J Franco
03-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks, Joe. What is your current split? I really enjoy your thread. I'm sort of making my way through from the beginning because I just found it recently. Good stuff!

Thanks!

Right now I am doing the following.

Quads/calve's
Chest/Biceps
Back/Hammies
Shoulder/Triceps
Rest
Repeat

J Franco
03-02-2010, 03:38 PM
3/2

After missing a couple of days from being sick, it was nice to train. Still have the swollen glands going on, and if this continues, I will get checked out. But the energy was high, and actually made some nice rep gains from last time doing the workout.

Db shoulder press: 3 warms, 85/5 95/5 97/5
Upright row bar: 2 warms, 115/8,9
Side lateral up and downs: 3 x
Db tri ext: 2 warms, 35/6 40/5 drop set
Reverse pressdown: 2 warms, 60/8,9

upper ab work
17 min cardio

J Franco
03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
3/3
Quads and calves:

Still recovering and planning on going to the doc tomorrow of antibiotics to clears up the swollen glands. But that didnt stop me from moving forward in my squat progression. Just for kicks, I took a different warm up path. This time I did lower reps, even singles prior to the goal sets. I thought this progression allowed the body to adjust nicely to the heavy set, but I wasnt totally warmed up. Simply for the fact of the last set of 365 was the easiest!! LOL

Squat: 4 warms, 335/1 355/1 365/3,3,3
Leg ext: 2 warms, 90/10,10
Leg press: 2 warms, 460/8 470/12
Split Db squat: 55/8 65/8
Donkey Calf raise: 2 warms, 90/15 135/13,12 drop set

12 min cardio

FloridaMuscle
03-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks!

Right now I am doing the following.

Quads/calve's
Chest/Biceps
Back/Hammies
Shoulder/Triceps
Rest
Repeat

That's a good split, Joe. Do you split hams from quads because you feel they grow better that way or because it's less fatiguing compared to combining them?

Raphael

J Franco
03-04-2010, 07:56 PM
That's a good split, Joe. Do you split hams from quads because you feel they grow better that way or because it's less fatiguing compared to combining them?

Raphael

Both, LOL. The hammies are actually trained a little bit with the quad workout, when doing sumo db squat and or lunges. And then I will hit them directly with back with some sort of deadlift and leg curl.

3/4

Chest and bicep workout:

Trained much latter in the day due to sessions and such. Actually had great energy and nailed the workout. Strength was up since last workout, and had some left!

Flat bench: 4 warms, 225/6 245/3 255/3,3
Chest dips: 2 warms, 4 chains/8,9
X rep In db press: 65 75 65
Barbell curl: 3 warms, 135/5 145/5
Rope curl: 2 warms, 60/9,9

Low ab work
17 min cardio

FloridaMuscle
03-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Ha! I had a feelling you'd say that. Thanks, Joe.

J Franco
03-05-2010, 03:17 PM
3/5
Back and hammy workout:

Back at it, and Ef'ed it up! Felt great start to finish. I hit a personal goal of doing 2.5 x my body weight with the two - trips. Will continue to run with this until I feel the need to reset on the deads.

Deads: 4 warms, 365/3 405/1 425/3,3
Pullups: 4 sets to failure
Bent over db row: 2 warms, 80/9,9
Lat pulldown palms in: 100/12 110/12 120/11
Leg curl: 2 warms, 60/7,5

12 min cardio

J Franco
03-07-2010, 07:31 PM
3/6

Delt and tricep workout:

Highligts were all increases from last time and hitting 100's for 5 reps on the db delt press.

Db delt press: 3 warms, 85/6 95/5 100/5
Upright row: 2 warm,s 115/8 125/9
Side lateral: 1 arm pole 2sets, then 2 big drop sets
Db ly tri ext: 2 warms, 40/6,5
Reverse tri pressdown: 2 warms 60/8,9

upper ab work 4 sets

17 min cardio

3/7

On to doing doubles now, and did what had to be done. In fact I mixed up the order and did chain squats for the fun of it!

Squat: 4 warms, 345/3 375/2,2,2
Leg ext: 2 warms, 92/9,10
Squat with chains: tot 225/8,9,10
Leg press close stance: 2 warms, 360/12,15
Calf raise seated: 2 warms, 90/12,12,10 2 drops

12 min cardio

J Franco
03-08-2010, 05:05 PM
3/8
Chest and bicep workout:

Moved up the ladder nicely today on the flats and dips. Kept the bar curls lighter as my right wrist is sore.

Flat bench: 4 warms, 225/6 245/3 260/3,3
Chest dips: 2 warms, 4 chains/9,9
In db press: X reps 4 sets
Barbell curl: 2 warms, 105/8 120/8 85/12
Rope curl: 50/10,9,10

upper abs: 4 sets

17 min cardio

3/9
rest day, 32 min cardio

J Franco
03-10-2010, 07:53 PM
3/10

Back and hammy workout:

Felt great this morning and was ready to hit the back hard. Well, my wife got home with my son who just had his 4 year check up. They were concerned with his lack of growth from last year and some of the signs point to Celiac Disease. Well, that was not the worse of it, since that can be address and he can be ok. The crappy part was taking him to get blood work! So, I did it, but just having him in my lap when they took 5 viles of blood made me sick! He is ok, and just need to wait and see what happens.

Well onto the workout then. Since I was a little drained from the early events I stuck with higher rep deads, but did full pauses on the bottom instead of touching and pulling. These were hard! The workout was good, but not the best.

Pullups: 4 set to failure
Deads: 3 warms, 365/10,6 315/10
Lat pulldown Palms in: 2 warms, 135/9 140/9
Db bent over row: 1 warm, 85/8 drop set
Leg curl: 3 warms, 65/5 70/5 drop set

12 min cardio

J Franco
03-11-2010, 06:34 PM
3/11

Delt and tricep workout:

Really solid workout today and the pump was off the chain. This was a result of just doing a few more reps and a couple of changes. Fast tempo, and it was nailed. Looking forward to squatting tomorrow!!!!

Db delt press: 2 warms, 85/6,7,6
Upright cable: 2 warms, 75/11 80/10 85/10
Side up and downs: 1 warm, 20/11,10
Db tri ext: 2 warms, 40/5,6 drop set
Reverse tri press: 2 warms, 60/11,10

Low ab work: 5 sets

17 min cardio

J Franco
03-12-2010, 04:58 PM
3/12

Felt great going in but a little stiff. I was progressing nicely and geared up to do 3 doubles with 380. After the first set, which wasnt to bad, I felt a sharp strain in my upper left thigh. Well, in past I would have gutted it out, but I moved on and finished the workout nicely. I didnt make it worst but I knew the heavy squat would have given me more trouble.

Squat: 4 warms, 315/4 365/2 380/2 then stopped!
Sissy squat: 2 warms, 4chains/15,18
Squat with chains: tot 225/8 235/8 245/8,10
Leg Ext: 1 warms, 70/11 80/12

Calf work: 2 warms, 90/14,13,13 2 drops

12 min cardio

3/13

Rest day, cardio only.
Full boat of clients and then posing class!

J Franco
03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
3/14

Solid early morning workout. And pretty much picked up where I left off last rotation. Feels good to hit a new rotation and then try to build upon it.

Slight In Bar press: 4 warms, 215/5 235/3 240/3,3
Flat db press: 1 warm, 95/8,8,8
In db fly: 1 warm, 55/10,10 drop set
In db curl: 2 warms, 50/5 55/4,5
Cable curl: 2 warms, 65/9,9

upper ab work
17 min cardio

J Franco
03-15-2010, 07:15 PM
3/15

Back and hammies workout:

Another solid workout today and great pump. I am deloading with doing romanian deads to give the body a break from full deads. They felt solid and did some good weight.

Side Note: After multi blood test, little Ant is fine!!

T bar row: 3 warms, 225/5 235/5,5
Lat pull under grip: 2 warms, 135/9 140/9
1 arm row: 1 warm, 80/10 85/10
Rom Deads: 2 warms, 315/5 365/5,5 275/10
Db leg curl: 1 warm, 45/9,10

12 min cardio

J Franco
03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
3/16

Great workout today and felt fresh! Over the last couple workouts, I have been using All In 1 for my pre workout meal! If you think about it, its a great pre workout formula coupled with my workouts were right after training a client. So convenience is key! Happy with the weight moved and plan on making gains next time out.

Side lateral: 3 warms, 45/5,5,7
Bar shrug: 2 warm, 265/8 275/5 drop set
Reverse delt raise on bench: 2 warms, 22/10,12
Rope pressdown: 2 warm,s 50/9 55/8
Dips: 1 warm, 2 chains/8,9,9

17 min cardio

3/17
rest day, cardio only for 32 min.

J Franco
03-17-2010, 08:44 PM
3/17

Quads and calves:

Well I was going to rest today, but simply felt great, so decided to train.
The results were smoking and after doing 385 for the double, I banged out a triple. The goal is to nail 2.5 x my weight for a double, and should hit that soon. Plus, I did chain squats three exercises in again, and this really finished the lower body off. These were done with a slighly wider stance.

Squat: 3 warms 295/5 345/3 375/2 385/2,3
Sissy squat: 2 warms, 4 chains/18,18
Squat w/chains: tot weight, 225/8 240/8 250/8,10
Leg ext: 1 warm, 72/11 85/10
calf raises: 2 warms, 95/15,14,12 2 drop sets

12 min cardio

J Franco
03-18-2010, 05:51 PM
3/18
Chest and bicep workout:

Felt great going into the workout, but was a little creeky. LOL. So, for each of the lead off movements, I stayed lighter then what was called for. Its was still a killa, as the pump was on.

Slight in bar press: 3 warms, 185/8 195/8 205/8,8
Flat db press: 1 warms, 95/8 100/7 drop set
In db fly: 1 warms, 57/10,10 drop set
In db curl: 2 warms, 45/8,8,7
1 arm cable curl: 2 warms 22/10,12

17 min cardio

3/19
And this will be a rest day. Cardio at 32 min.

FYI, it's St. Joseph's Day.
Cant wait to have the cake.

J Franco
03-20-2010, 08:00 PM
3/20
Back and hammy workout:

Banging workout today after a busy day of clients. Made gains on all movements. The only change was doing higher reps on the rom deads. The back was a little tight. But the high reps wiped me out in a great way.

T bar row: 3 warms, 225/5 240/5,6 180/15
Lat pulldown wide: 2 warms, 140/8,8
1 arm db row: 1 warms, 85/10,11
Rom deads: 2 warms, 315/5 315/9,9 275/11
Db leg curl: 1 warm, 45/10,11

12 min cardio

J Franco
03-21-2010, 07:32 PM
3/21
Delt and tricep workout:

Great energy for an early workout and gains were made. I again had the All In 1 as part of my breakfast and it was chocolate flavor! I did switch out the dips for tri bar exts, the wrist couldn't handle it.

Side lateral: 3 warms, 45/5 47/5,7
Bar shrug: 2 warms, 275/7,6 225/12
Rear delt raise on bench: 2 warms, 25/10,11
Rope press: 2 warms, 57/8,8 drop set
Bar ext: 1 warm, 55/10 65/10

upper ab work

17 min cardio

J Franco
03-22-2010, 04:49 PM
3/22
Quads and calves:

Simply smoked this workout. The plan was to do 2 sets with 390 and hit doubles.
Well, engery was up and did 390 for 3 and then 400 for 3. The big goal is to do 455 for a single without any wraps or belt. I have also learned, I need alot of warm ups! LOL

Video's are up on my youtube account, search fitfranco

Squat: 4 warms, 345/3 375/2 390/3 400/3
Sissy squat: 2 warms, 4 chains/20,18
Squat with chains: tot weight; 225/8 245/8 255/8,10
Leg ext: 2 warms, 85/12
Calf work: 2 warms, 90/16,14,13 2 drops

12 min cardio

J Franco
03-23-2010, 04:24 PM
3/23
Chest and bicep workout:

Solid training today as I moved forward with the heavier rep scheme. All gains were made. I did change up the bicep order for kix though. Solid pump and smoked it.

Slight in bar press: 4 warms, 215/5 235/3 245/3,3
Flat db press: 2 warms, 100/8,6
In db fly: 1 warm, 55/10 60/9
Cable curl: 2 warms, 70/8 80/6,6
In db curl: 1 warms, 40/8,7 drop set

ab work

17 min cardio

J Franco
03-24-2010, 09:15 PM
3/24
Back and hammies workout:

Little tired going into the workout. Stayed with the focus lead off exercise and made gains, but the rest of the workout with a nice mix.

T bar rows: 4 warms, 225/5 250/5,5 180/16
Lat pulldown wide: 2 warms, 130/8 135/9,8
1 arm cable high row: 50/10,10,11
Good mornings: 3 warms, 125/10 135/11,10
Glute ham assisted: 4 x

12 min cardio

J Franco
03-25-2010, 03:12 PM
3/25
Delt and triceps:

One of the better shoulder pumps in a while. And I think it was from doing slightly higher reps with the lead of and drop sets with db shrugs. Fast paced training today, and was solid.

Side lateral: 3 warms, 40/8 42/8 45/8
Db shrug: 3 descending sets all to failure
Rear delt raise on bench: 1 warm, 25/10,11,10
Rope pressdown: 2 warms, 60/8,7
Tricep Dips: 1 warms, 3 chains/10 4chains/10,9

upper ab work

17 min cardio

J Franco
03-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Catch up time!

3/26
35 min cardio

3/27
Quads and calves:

After a long day of training clients, I had one of the better squat workouts in a very long time. It was smoked! Besides doing a couple heavies, the two drop sets were killer.

Squat: 5 warms, 345/3 385/2 405/2 425/2 315/8 225/15
Leg ext: 2warms, 85/11,9
Sissy squat: 2 warms, 2 chains/ 15,16
1 leg-leg press: 90/10,12
Calf work: 5 sets of 20 plus reps

12 min cardio

3/28
Chest and biceps:

Great workout early this morning. Didnt do any crazy weights, but felt like a real workout due to a faster tempo and pump. Mixed it up a bit.
Slight in bar press: 3 warms, 195/8 210/6,6 185/10

Flat db press: 85/8,8 75/10,9
In db fly ss with rack push ups: 2 x
1 arm cable curl: 2 warms, 22/12
In db curl: 1 warm, 40/6 45/6,6 drop set

17 min cardio

J Franco
03-28-2010, 04:19 PM
YouTube- IFPA Pro Joe Franco Squating 425 x 2

Video of 425 for 2

MusclesMarinara
03-28-2010, 07:16 PM
wow great life Joe!

no wraps/belt either.. youll get the 455 soon.

J Franco
03-29-2010, 02:44 PM
wow great life Joe!

no wraps/belt either.. youll get the 455 soon.

Thank, and thanks for checking in!

NATURAL-1987
03-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Thats some pretty insane squatting bro.... Please tell me there was someone else in that room if you did fold up like a lawn chair.lol. If there wasn't, even more insane! I love it.

J Franco
03-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Thats some pretty insane squatting bro.... Please tell me there was someone else in that room if you did fold up like a lawn chair.lol. If there wasn't, even more insane! I love it.

Ha ha, thanks bro. Not the smartest, but just me in the room.

J Franco
03-29-2010, 08:50 PM
3/29
Back and hammy workout:

Mixed it up a bit and it was a solid workout. Led off with bent over rows and did a couple of more loose forms sets at the end, but still got the pump. Higher rep stiff legs did me in. Overall great energy, and didnt want to stop.

Bent over rows: 4 warms 245/6, 265/5 285/5,5
Lat pulldown palms in: 2 warms, 140/9,8 drop set
Rope pulldown: 2 warms, 115/12,11
Stiff leg deads: 2 warms, 315/5 315/11,10
Glute ham raise assisted: 4 sets

12 min cardio

J Franco
03-30-2010, 05:01 PM
3/30
Delt and tricep workout:

Little slow moving in the workout, but pushed it with the laterals.
A nice finish to the round of training, and will start a new after tomorrows rest/cardio only day. FYI, my back and hammies are fried from yesterday.

Side lateral: 3 warms, 45/5 50/5,5 35/12
Stand Db press: 2 warms 55/6,7,7
FR plate: 45/14,12,12
Rope pressdown: 2 awrms, 60/8,8 drop st
1 arm pressdown ss
with dips: 3 x

upper ab work

17 min cardio

J Franco
04-01-2010, 04:24 PM
4/1
Quads and calves:

New round and will be switching gears up a bit. I will continue to use this workout, but will bring in front squats for a little while. Still want to do 385 for a single on front squat. Didnt do them today, as I was tight and achy so, I played it safe. Overall workout was solid and still got a great pump and burn.

Goal will still be the same from this time moving forward. Get strong, period. I may even to a pow
er lifting meet come September. Body weight has been constant at 170-2, but with the warmer weather, I will be dropping a few. Especially if I do powerlift, it will be in the 165's.

Hack Squat: 3 warms 250/6 275/6 295/6 drop set
Bar lunge: 2 warms, 145/6 150/6
Leg press: 2 warms, 405/13,15
Leg ext: 1 warms, 65/14
Calf raise singles: 2 warms, 20/12 30/10,8 drop set

12 min cardio

J Franco
04-02-2010, 04:45 PM
4/2
Chest and bicep workout:

Solid training today and one of the better chest workouts in a while. Pump was fantastic and was happy with the starting flat db weight. Just a side note, very sore from yesterdays quad training.

Flat db press: 3 warms, 105/5 115/5,5
In db press: 1 warms, 90/8,9,8
Flat bar press with chains: 1 warm, 2 chains/11,11,9
1 arm preacher curl: 2 warms, 35/9 40/7,6
Hammer curl: 1 warms, 45/8 50/9

17 min cardio

J Franco
04-03-2010, 08:10 PM
YouTube- Beyond Nutrition's IFPA Pro Joe Franco deadlifts 345 x 16 (2x bodyweight)

J Franco
04-03-2010, 08:31 PM
4/3
Back and hammy workout:

Fantastic workout today, and went back to high rep deads. Will roll with this in hopes of doing 2 x bw for 20 reps. Came close but the grip was gone. All in all, pump was solid and nice energy. Tomorrow will be an off day due to travel for Easter, but will do cardio early morning.

Lat pulldown wide: 2 warms, 135/8 150/6,7
Deads: 3 warms, 345/16,8
Db bench row: 1 warm, 80/9,8,7
Rope pulldown: 1 warm, 110/11, 115/11
Leg curl: 2 warms, 60/5 65/5,5

12 min cardio

YouTube- IFPA Pro Joe Franco deadlifts 345 x 16 (2x bodyweight)

4/5
35 min cardio

J Franco
04-05-2010, 07:50 PM
4/5

Solid workout today but was stalled a couple times from some work being finished in gym. Some sheet rock being patch from plumbing work.
Lead off with standing push presses and felt pretty good. All in all got the work in and left spent.

Stand push press: 3 warms 145/6 155/5,6
Seated side lateral: 2 warms, 35/9 40/9
Front raise: 2 warms, 75/8 80/8
Tricep pressdown: 2 warms, 85/5 95/5 drop set
Db ext: 35/8,7 30/10,9

18 min cardio

J Franco
04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
4/6

Back to one of my favs the front squat. Wow, they were hard today. Felt great, just need to condition the body to hold the weight again. So the focus will be moving up the ladder with these and to beat my personal best and to keep the high rep deads in also on back day. The plan will last the next 6 to 8 weeks.

Front squat: 4 warms, 295/2 305/2,2
Hack squat: 2 warms, 225/8 270/7,6
Bar lunge: 1 warm, 135/6 145/8
Leg ext: 60/15 70/14
Calf work: singles, 2 warms, 3 chains/10 4 chains/10,10 drop set

12 min cardio

NATURAL-1987
04-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Ah, working your way back into front squats, got ya. I was gonna say. "How do you squat 425/2 in a vid but only front squat 305/2?" Kind of makes sense that read whole post. Going by the regular squat vid I am guessing no spot on the front squats today either eh? LOL.
P.S. Get musclesmarinara in the best shape humanly possible....Polished! Color, posing, and all that stuff. I'm really pulling for this guy, he works hard and I want to see him reach his max potential. With your help he definately is in good hands. Expecting big things from you guys! :)

J Franco
04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Ah, working your way back into front squats, got ya. I was gonna say. "How do you squat 425/2 in a vid but only front squat 305/2?" Kind of makes sense that read whole post. Going by the regular squat vid I am guessing no spot on the front squats today either eh? LOL.
P.S. Get musclesmarinara in the best shape humanly possible....Polished! Color, posing, and all that stuff. I'm really pulling for this guy, he works hard and I want to see him reach his max potential. With your help he definately is in good hands. Expecting big things from you guys! :)

The fronts are a different beast, but I enjoy them and think they are great.
And yep, no spot. But dont need one for fronts. If I get stuck just drop the weight in front of me. And believe it or not, they are safer.

MM is doing great. Droped over 20 pounds in less then two months!!! He continues to have progress each week and will do well in his first show. Thanks for looking out for him.

J Franco
04-06-2010, 09:03 PM
The goal is to beat this,

YouTube- Joe Franco front squating 365 x 1. A personal best.

NATURAL-1987
04-06-2010, 09:40 PM
No doubt they are different. I actually prefer them a lot more..and oh yeah, I dumped on front squats before in the power rack.lol. Havent dumped on regular squats though. Thank God! Your doing all this @ 172lbs? Thats just wrong...... In a good way :)
What shows you have on your schedule(competing)?

AVBG
04-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Joe = most underrated pro on the circuit

NATURAL-1987
04-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Best Natural Pro Light-Weight.

MusclesMarinara
04-07-2010, 12:40 AM
The fronts are a different beast, but I enjoy them and think they are great.
And yep, no spot. But dont need one for fronts. If I get stuck just drop the weight in front of me. And believe it or not, they are safer.

MM is doing great. Droped over 20 pounds in less then two months!!! He continues to have progress each week and will do well in his first show. Thanks for looking out for him.

Thanks Joe, I never thought Id be progressing the way I am. Ive been able to get a lot stronger AND EVEN BIGGER in some areas while dropping bodyfat. Didnt think that was possible.

Your strength is out of control, especially legs. To squat the weights you are front/ and traditional at any weight is a feat but to do it under 180lbs is :hypno:. Looking forward to the posing class saturday!

J Franco
04-07-2010, 07:30 PM
WOW, thanks for the props guys. I really appreciate it.

And MM, I just lay out the plan, but you do the work!

Thanks again fellas. And if anyone has any questions, feel free to hit me up.

4/7
Chest and biceps:

Went with a tad higher reps today. Upper body was sore from the front squat especially the delts. Doing the higher reps really toasted my chest and was a killa. Increases were made with the bicep exercises.

Flat db press: 3 warms, 95/8 100/10,8
In db press: 85/8,9,9,8
Flat bar w/chains: 1 warm 2 chains 140/12,11
1 Arm preacher curl: 1 warm, 35/8 40/8 42/6
Hammer curl: 1 warm, 50/8,9

18 min cardio