PDA

View Full Version : Schoonveld

robert da strongman
02-20-2009, 04:00 PM
anyone ever meet this nut? amazing strongman....

Brian Schoonveld: “Strongman Didn’t Start Last Year” by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2009 IronMind

Besides being a front runner from days when American strongman started to grow in the late 1990s, Karl Gillingham is the Sultan of the Strongman Stats, so when Karl told IronMind that Brian Schoonveld had competed in about 25 strongman contests in 2001, we knew it was smart to listen.

Brian Schoonveld on his way to breaking the world record in the Apollon’s Axle at the 2005 Fit Expo strongman contest. The next day, Schoonie won the whole contest, too. Randall J. Strossen photo.

A quick call to Brian Schoonveld confirmed that Karl Gillingham was on the money once again and a crew is working right now to document the count, but by every indication there appears to be no question that Schoonie’s run in 2001 exceeded the number presented for Zydrunas Savickas as being a record. Interestingly, though, Schoonie is quick to nod toward Mariusz Pudzianowski as being the leader on this score - Schoonie’s point is well taken, because the Polish strongman superstar - the only man ever to win the World’s Strongest Man contest five times - is also the Duracell Bunny of strongman . . . he runs laps around his competition.

Brian Schoonveld also expressed concern about what he sees as a lack of knowledge about strongman history and some disrespectful comments about Mariusz Pudzianowski, saying “Get your facts right . . . Strongman didn’t start last year.”

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/system/galleries/ironmind/brian-wr_lg.jpg

BK
02-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Very, very strong individual. Sucks that he isn't competing anymore.

robert da strongman
02-20-2009, 04:34 PM
he is a nut too. very nice guy.
he used to get crap for the worst deadlift form then he got with ed coan...

BrianNassar
02-21-2009, 10:01 AM
I competed with him (and got destroyed) at the (2001 I think) Snowman. When I did the MO Strongest Man we all went out to a Mexican restaurant after the meet. Schoonie and Marunde were hilarious together!!

robert da strongman
02-21-2009, 11:44 AM
2004 snowman he was drying his ass under the hand dryer...

BrianNassar
02-22-2009, 11:58 AM
2004 snowman he was drying his ass under the hand dryer...

What were you drying?? :D

smj091977
05-14-2009, 05:44 PM
I met Brian Schoonveld in 03 or 04 during the IL Strongest man Team event that Tony Soucie promoted that year. Brian was a great guy, willing to offer advice to any who needed or asked. What I remember most was that we had a group of masseuses there with a booth and free massages to the competitors. I remember Brian was over there half the show chatting the honeys up. :bowdown:

robert da strongman
05-14-2009, 05:46 PM
I met Brian Schoonveld in 03 or 04 during the IL Strongest man Team event that Tony Soucie promoted that year. Brian was a great guy, willing to offer advice to any who needed or asked. What I remember most was that we had a group of masseuses there with a booth and free massages to the competitors. I remember Brian was over there half the show chatting the honeys up. :bowdown:

i wuz there...i remember him cussing out a lightweight guy on the arm over arm pull. the heavy did all the work.

musclegoddess65
05-14-2009, 08:27 PM
small world cause his mom is my godmother - not seen her in forever.. his mom and mine were good friends when I was a child....

smj091977
05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
i wuz there...i remember him cussing out a lightweight guy on the arm over arm pull. the heavy did all the work.

Hmm I must of missed that part. I wouldn't have wanted to be that lightweight :eek:
Maybe my attention was on the masseuses too!

marcusmucheck
05-31-2009, 12:19 PM
schoonie was living close to my gym in west virginia. We have a mutual friend named robert busick that I own a gym with. Schoonie is an awesome guy!

Thad
05-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Met him at the Arnold. He's a funny guy.

Heretic74
05-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Brian was always so nice and helpful to all . I met him in 2001 at Big Tonys Wisconsin Strongman Show . The guy was a true beast . I spoke with him on the phone a few times after that while me and my ex wife was holding Central Illinois Strongest Man . \

I remember calling him on the phone and asking for equipment and hehas an old I believe Ford ranger he had welded some handles on the back of that we could use for either a whellbarrow or deadlift event . He told me ifI come and get the truck I can have the thing. I mean he was always willing to help people out .

Does anyone know where he is now ? I remember back a few years I had some powerlifting videos of his , and yeah he did get his deadlift up alot from when I seen him at the snowman 2001.