PDA

View Full Version : Layne Nortons power/hypertrophy routine

Mr. Hyde
08-03-2009, 10:06 PM
I personally do the upper and lower days just like westside barbell max effort days. You can do 5x5, 3x5, 5x3, 10x3 so on and so forth. These 2 days are gonna be the days you make and break records, your main focus is power and strength.

I do my hypertrophy days like this Chest/Back, Lower, Shoulders/Arms. I do it like this for a couple of reason but the main one being i can superset everything. You can set the 3 day hyper split anyway you please.

I do abs/calves and HIIT on my off days. Sometimes i will do HIIT on one off day and then on my leg hyper day if i want sunday off. You do not have to do HIIT, you can do any cardio you like of even take both days totally off.

You should deload every 8-16 weeks. This all depending on the person and how hard they have been training. You can take a week off, use the 3 way on a M-W-F rotation for 1-2 weeks. I would read up on basic deloading and listen to your body.

Your body may need a couple of week to get used to training like this. If you are going to give this type of routine a shot do it for no less then 8 weeks. I recomend 12 weeks to really see if it works for you.

Layne Norton did not type this up. I believe someone else did just to give people a idea how the training split goes.

Day One, Upper Power:
3 or 4 Compound pressing and pulling movements, 3-5 sets in the 5 rep range, and 1 Accessory Movement

Day Two, Lower Power:
2 or 3 Squatting and Deadlifting movements, 3-5 sets in the 5 rep range, and 1 Accessory Movement

Day Three, Off

Day Four, Hypertrophy Chest/Arms:
3 Benching movements, 2-3 sets in the 8-12 rep range. 1-2 reps short of failure.
3 Supersets consisting of 2 exercises each, 3 biceps and 3 triceps, 3 sets in the 8-12 range, 1-2 reps short of failure.
1 Chest accessory exercises, 3 sets, 8-12 reps, 1-2 reps short of failure.

Day Five, Hypertrophy Shoulders/Back/Traps:
4 Supersets consisting of 2 exercises each, 3 Shoulders and 3 Backs in the 8-12 reps range, and 2 Traps in the 10-15 rep range, 2-3 sets each. 1-2 reps short of failure.
1 Optional Back compound, 2 sets in the 8-12 rep range, 1-2 reps short of failure.

Day Six, Hypertrophy Legs/Calves:
2 Supersets consisting of 2-3 exercises each, 4-5 sets in the 8-15 range. 1-2 reps short of failure.

Day Seven, Off
Template

Sunday: Upper Power
-5x5 or 3x5 for all lifts(5x5 on bulk cause recovery is better, 3x5 on cut)
-Barbell Bench Press
-Barbell Rows
-Military Press
-Barbell Shrugs
Monday: Lower Power
-5x5 or 3x5 for all lifts(5x5 on bulk cause recovery is better, 3x5 on cut)
-Back Squat
-Stiff Leg Deadlift, Or Romanian DL
-6-8 sets of Standing Calf, little higher reps, i like to do 6-8 on heavy days

Tues: Off (I usually do some cardio)

Wednesday: Hypertrophy Chest/Arms
(For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
-DB Incline Bech 3x8-12
-Barbell Close Grip Bench 3x8-12
-DB Flat Bench 2x8-12
-Preacher Curls 3x8-12 super setted with
-Standing French Press 3x8-12
-Push Downs 3x8-12 super setted with
-DB Hammer Curls
-Cable Crossovers 3x8-12
-Machine Curl 3x8-12 supersetted with
-Machine Dips 3x8-12
Thursday: Hypertrophy Shoulders/Back/Traps
(For hypertrophy days i never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)
-DB Shoulder Press 3x8-12 super setted with
-DB Front Raise 3x8-12
-DB One Arm Row 3x8-12 super setted with
-DB Arnold Press 3x8-12
-Lat Pull Down (Wide Grip) 2x8-12 super setted with
-DB Shrugs 2x10-15
-Lat Pull Down (Close grip, palms facing in) 2x8-12 super setted with
-DB Upright Row 2x10-15
-T-bar row 2x8-12 (Usually too tired/dead to do this last exercise, but some times i do it)
Friday: Hypertrophy Legs/Calves
-Hack Squat 5x8-12 super setted with
-Standing Calf 5x10-15
-Leg Extensions 5x10-15 super setted with
-Sitting Leg Curls 5x10-15 super setted with
-Sitting Calf Raise 4x8-12

Saturday: Off (cardio if you want)

almard
08-04-2009, 04:26 AM
Not to be dick. but I rember I talk to Layne and he told me that's not his training..

Mr. Hyde
08-04-2009, 10:41 PM
He was the first person i know the use it. Hes doing a seiko squat routine at the moment. I really dont feel it matters if hes doing it at the moment or not, its still a solid routine. He use to do the Upper and lower days like i do, using the Russian conjugate method.

I also wrote in bold that he did not type this, someone else did as an outline.

eschlick19
08-05-2009, 08:06 AM
thank you for sharing some wonderful information

Mr. Hyde
08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
This is an older webcast where he talk about it little

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/insidethelife3.htm

Here is a new interview he did with natural bodybuilding radio, he talks about the triaining routine somewhere after 10 minutes or so. I would listen to the whole thing, there alot of good info.

http://naturalbodybuildingradio.com/