PDA

View Full Version : A necessary evil...

BrotherIron
08-03-2009, 11:53 PM
How many here make it a priority to train abs? I know I have fallen into the trap skipping them at times. It's something I just don't focus on even though I know having weak abs can cause back injuries since the lower back has to compensate for the imbalance.

So am I the only one guilty of this???

I am making it a priority now to do abs at least 2x week with my cardio sessions.

Ninja Loco
08-04-2009, 12:12 AM
I train core, but not direct-for-a-six-pack-ab work.

Full contact twists
Flags: both bench and suspended
Wood choppers
Pullover sit ups
etc.

No set days just in between workouts whenever they may fall.

toddbz
08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
I just do weighted incline and knee lifts 2xweek, but yeah it has made a huge difference.

exit2010
08-04-2009, 02:48 PM
I do an array of different exercises twice a week and I hate each day doing it.

tjoe
08-04-2009, 03:33 PM
You all got me beat.
maybe twice a year I will toss in a set or two.

Mirko Cro Cop
08-04-2009, 03:36 PM
You all got me beat.
maybe twice a year I will toss in a set or two.

I can relate to this, I always tell myself that i'm going to dedicate 30 minutes to them but I never get round to it.

tjoe
08-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Lol... I don't even lie to myself though.
At least if I lied to myself it would show that I think about it a little... I don't even get that far!

toddbz
08-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Lol... I don't even lie to myself though.
At least if I lied to myself it would show that I think about it a little... I don't even get that far!

Ha!

"today I'm gonna...wait what's that shiny thing!?"

robert da strongman
08-28-2009, 06:30 PM
ab pulldowns, cable side bends, and straight arm pulldowns
do that on cardio days

HammerStrength12
08-28-2009, 07:08 PM
I'll do abs on occasion. Stuff I already do like standing military press, squats, front squats and deadlifts train the core way better than crunches IMO

BrotherIron
08-28-2009, 11:54 PM
I'll do abs on occasion. Stuff I already do like standing military press, squats, front squats and deadlifts train the core way better than crunches IMO

I also do alot of exercises which work the core indirectly but I think working abs 3x week when I do my cardio will help me alot too. I think direct work needs to be done for the abdominals.

JAM
08-29-2009, 12:10 AM
After I do morning cardio I try and super set 3-4 sets of weighted cable crunches w/crunches lying on a bench but with my shoulders and back hanging off enough to get a nice stretch. And maybe I'll do a few sets up knee-ups.
I try doing that maybe 3x/week and it only adds about 5-6min of gym time. Then it's back home to eat and go to work.

Ryan Bracewell
08-29-2009, 01:15 AM
twice a week for me, both on Upper body days. What i am guilty of is doing the same 3-4 exercises over and over.

-Ab Wheel
-straight leg sit ups
-weighted/band standing crunches
-band side twists.

antonbrn
08-29-2009, 02:26 AM
I usually work my abs in between sets, to let my other muscles rest.

Ninja Loco
08-29-2009, 04:38 AM
Thats not a bad fukin idea, antonbrn. You dont feel ot compromises the workout, though? I mean Im more into conditioning training than bodybuilding now but I was just sitting here thinking that I might do that when I strength train, but dayum..... even that leaves me feeling gassed. So Im thinking if doing yet ANOTHER exercise isnt adding to the stress on the CNS and also sap some valuable strength and energy that the regular workout needs.

Obviously you're not feeling it, so.... Or are you?

rinse
08-29-2009, 09:11 AM
3 times a week all the time. Abs are an important part for my squat and deadlift improvements.

BrotherIron
08-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Thats not a bad fukin idea, antonbrn. You dont feel ot compromises the workout, though? I mean Im more into conditioning training than bodybuilding now but I was just sitting here thinking that I might do that when I strength train, but dayum..... even that leaves me feeling gassed. So Im thinking if doing yet ANOTHER exercise isnt adding to the stress on the CNS and also sap some valuable strength and energy that the regular workout needs.

Obviously you're not feeling it, so.... Or are you?

Strength training wears me down and leaves me drained MUCH more than bodybuilding ever did. I don't think your going to fatigue your CNS from abs but it will take away some of that much needed energy to get you through the workouts b/c you're working to perform the movement.