PDA

View Full Version : sticking point on the bench press

StretchTrapjaw
08-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I could use some suggestions on work to do to get through the mid point of the rep, which is where I am sticking.

Which muscles and exercises do I need to focus on to push through that part of the rep?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

crashcrew56
08-04-2009, 01:00 PM
What does you current program look like?

Does your training include any board presses, bands, or chains?

BrotherIron
08-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Well the muscles which are used to perform a bench press are; chest, lats, shoulders, and triceps.

Like what has already been said, what does your current training program look like? And also, how long have you been doing this program you're currently using?

gman
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
bench in the power rack, set the safeties at the sticking point. push the weight up, lower to the rack and reset and go again. tough like deadlifts for the chest.

StretchTrapjaw
08-04-2009, 01:33 PM
My current program alternates weekly, using I guess a variation of the Westside Method of working up to a one rep max on either the flat or incline as the first excercise, then 3-4 working sets of 10-12 reps on the other one, finishing with flat DB flyes.

Then I move to front and side delts with barbell presses on my knees (my ceiling is too low to clean and press), front DB raises and side DB raises 3-4 working sets each.

I don't use any bands or chains. I wish I could, but I don't have any. I have to make do with what I have accumulated at home since dues to a gym that would have this stuff available aren't exactly in the budget right now.

Board presses are tough because I train alone and I don't have anyone to hold them in place. Is there a workaround for that?

Arms get their own day, mostly compund exercises with some isolation work to finish each part.

Back, rear delts and traps come next, and this is my strongest area, particularly deadlifting.

Leg training days are few and far between because until I get a rack in the house, I don't have a regular place to squat, though when I can, I occasionally try to check out different gyms on a one day and get my leg work in there.

tjoe
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
got a video of a missed rep??

crashcrew56
08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
What do you bench on, a power rack or bench press?

Do you do any speed bench?

Also I've seen a vest that you can wear that you can put boards into

StretchTrapjaw
08-04-2009, 01:45 PM
got a video of a missed rep??

No, but I suppose I could do one. Give me a little while, though. I am having surgery in a few days. Nothing major, but I have to be cool for a few days.

StretchTrapjaw
08-04-2009, 01:59 PM
What do you bench on, a power rack or bench press?

Do you do any speed bench?

Also I've seen a vest that you can wear that you can put boards into

Bench press. The rack is the next addition.

I have tried some speedwork, but I have not done it consistently.

BrotherIron
08-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Bench press. The rack is the next addition.

I have tried some speedwork, but I have not done it consistently.

A Speed day would def benefit you as would training with chains. Their cheap and extremely effective to break through plateaus.

tjoe
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Dave Tate once said (not in the exact words)...
If it gets stuck in the middle, your too slow.
If it gets stuck on your chest, it's your back OR it's too damn heavy :)

StretchTrapjaw
08-04-2009, 08:33 PM
I will definitely start working in the speedwork.

As far as the chains go, I understand the concept of accomodating resistance, but my question is what size, how much length, etc.

I appreciate all the advice so far, by the way.

tjoe
08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I will definitely start working in the speedwork.

As far as the chains go, I understand the concept of accomodating resistance, but my question is what size, how much length, etc.

I appreciate all the advice so far, by the way.
you can order them from elitefts.com but they are pricey (to me anyway).
you can also make your own... you need a partner and a tape measure.
hop on a bench with an empty bar extended (the top of your lift) and measure from the floor to the bar.
now do the same thing but wit the bar on your chest and take that measurement.
So now you have a big number and a little number. subtract the little one from the big one and you have the length of your stroke.
now add about 5-6 inches to that number.
So what you have is the length of your stroke + 5-6 inches.
That is how much length of "heavy" chain you need. I would say get somewhere between 50-100lbs worth of this heavy chain.
you want the 5-6 extra inches because they chain should not be completely off the floor at lockout and you should have a little left "hanging" when the bar is on your chest.

Now you need to get some small chain and some clips to attach the "heavy" stuff to the bar. As long as this stuff is strong enough to hold the big chain you are good to go.

Now that you have your stuff... hop on the bench. attach the little chain to the bar and then attach the big chain to the little one. with the bar in the lockout position the heavy stuff should have a few links already touching the ground. if not, extend the length of small stuff.
now when you bring the bar to your chest "most" of the heavy chain should be piled up with a little bit still suspended. If it is ALL on the floor then the connecting small chain needs to be a bit shorter. This is why you want that extra 5-6 inches.

It sounds tricky but is really simple to set up.
The hardest part will be getting heavy enough chain links.
or you could just shop here:http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?SearchPhrase=chains&x=0&y=0&m=SR

BrotherIron
08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
No need to buy the chains at some fancy place. Just go to Lowes or Home Depot. They have plenty of chains and you can get 1/2" and 1" chains and than you'll have a light and a heavy chain.

StretchTrapjaw
08-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I will get to work and check back on this thread in a couple months with an update.

crashcrew56
08-09-2009, 11:10 PM
best of luck!