PDA

View Full Version : How do you control your willpower?

bigdaddyd
02-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Romano posted a list of ways to control your diet. In there was the one thing that jacks me up everytime.

Willpower.

I can be dedicated in every way, but it probably happens once or twice a week, I just give in.

The next thing you know, I have eaten a small house worth of food.

So tell us how you control your willpower.

Tell us what you do to remind yourself as you walk past the junk food, just why you can't eat it.

Give us weak-minded fat-asses some tidbits of knowledge to keep us on the right track when that favorite cheat food is calling our names!

One thing I resorted to in the past was not allowing the stuff in the house. If my wife and kids wanted it, they had to put it where I would never see it.

So whatcha got?

Glenda Bozett
02-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Romano posted a list of ways to control your diet. In there was the one thing that jacks me up everytime.

Willpower.

I can be dedicated in every way, but it probably happens once or twice a week, I just give in.

Tell us what you do to remind yourself as you walk past the junk food, just why you can't eat it.

Give us weak-minded fat-asses some tidbits of knowledge to keep us on the right track when that favorite cheat food is calling our names!

One thing I resorted to in the past was not allowing the stuff in the house. If my wife and kids wanted it, they had to put it where I would never see it.

So whatcha got?

Hi bigdaddyd, this is what I say " there are no hidding secrets hon. if you are dieting you most know you have only one cheat meal, anything more it's not acceptable. One can't separated from other persons or places but can separate foods to stay on a diet. Stay strong, in a long run you'll be glad you did it. :)

galami
02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
I simply focus on the goal. I think about what I want and how I get it. And this goes not only for a diet.

It's important to have a goal. Without a goal it's hard to stay commited. You wouldn't even go to the groceries without making a list what to buy. The problem with the people is that they don't know what they want in life. That makes them lazy and that is why they lack in drive.

I also visualize my dream body. I really feel how fantastic it is to have it. I see myself already to have accomplished that goal even if I haven't yet. You really have to feel how nice it is to have that body.

Cheating might be tempting but I feel that it is only tempting if you 1. didn't determined your goal and 2. you don't have a passion for what you do. You have to do what you love and love what you do. That's the first thing you need to have.

I'd like to quote Richard St. John on that one..

Check out his video:
http://www.richardstjohn.com/content/talk/talk01.php?m=5

The 8 things that lead to great success:
1. Passion
2. Work
3. Focus
4. Push
5. Ideas
6. Improve
7. Serve
8. Persist

Eating for example a burger is just a temporary satisfaction. It's not worth it and after you've eaten it you feel bad.

I stay optimistic because I know that the richest place on earth is a cemetery. There you find book that were never written, loved one's that were never forgiven and people who never did what they really wanted to do.. like people who wanted to have the perfect body...

Pursue your passion. If having a 'perfect' body is not your passion, if you're not willing to work for it and have no drive... then this might not be the right path for you.

Damn, I've taken this a bit too far.
To put it in a nutshell I can tell you that my first sentences are the most important.

Want some? Go get it. Easy. ;)

Shadow
02-20-2009, 05:42 PM
I think when you break down and try to get that fast food burger or whatever, there's always a reminder to stop, turn around, and walk out the door. Usually when I'm somewhere and about to fuck up, I see someone else in line or already with their food...and they are obese. My mind instantly recognizes the folly I'm about to make, and I revise my decision.

The Celt
02-20-2009, 06:52 PM
I think when you break down and try to get that fast food burger or whatever, there's always a reminder to stop, turn around, and walk out the door. Usually when I'm somewhere and about to fuck up, I see someone else in line or already with their food...and they are obese. My mind instantly recognizes the folly I'm about to make, and I revise my decision.

BINGO!!!

The last 2 days @ work have sucked because we're trying to caych up from poweer outtages, so on payday they lay trays of freshly baked GLAZED DONUTS out for all to see,smell and eat. Damn they would have hit the spot today, but then looking around the lunch room at all the fat fucks having 2 donuts and large soda with it snapped me right back into the frame of mind that its not what i needed. Would one have killed me? Probably not, but why crack the door open, theres always something else on the other side.

rich_fox117
02-20-2009, 11:34 PM
i just tell myself to shut the fuck up and not eat it, there is no secret breathing or whoosa shit that goes into my will power

its just straight up head talk, my stomach is crying for carbs, but my head (9 times out of 10) will just go Sargent Hartman on my ass and tell me no, simple as that

bigdaddyd
02-21-2009, 09:32 AM
I love that....just love it.

gman
02-21-2009, 09:47 AM
I have been on Dave's keto diet for 4 weeks now. I am being 100% honest-I DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WILLPOWER NOW!

My appetite is completely gone. I eat only because the clock says it's time. On top of that, I am eating 2700 calories a day and losing weight, so it's not even really a diet.

I am not bullshitting. As a lifelong fatty, this is the first time I can honestly say that I am not tempted to eat crap.

bigdaddyd
02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
The first time on Dave's diet I went from pant size 48 to 40. This time I cannot seem to make more than 4 or 5 days without falling off the wagon. WTF....

I know if I make to the 2nd week, I will be able to suck it up. I just have not made it that far yet.

gman
02-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Go read Mr G some more!

You can do it, buckle down! It's easy after 2 weeks, imagine yourself on Memorial Day, and how much better you will look if you stick it out!

Kolbe
02-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I tell myself I want to goal more than I want the taste of it.
I tell myself that over and over again...

BigJD69
02-22-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm gonna start chewing tobacco again to curb my appetite

gman
02-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Dave is working with me on 16 week program. I am done with week 4, and I need to write him tomorrow because I am having a really hard time eating all 6 meals now. I just started eating meal 5 at 7pm (chicken breast and almonds). I ate about 2/3 of the chicken and all the almonds, and actually started feeling ill, so I threw away the rest. I still have to do a protein shake and 1.5 tbsp of peanut butter tonight. I am not sure if I will be able to eat it or not.

This all being said to tell you that the Palumbo diet is a great way to control your appetite

bigdaddyd
02-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Dave is working with me on 16 week program. I am done with week 4, and I need to write him tomorrow because I am having a really hard time eating all 6 meals now. I just started eating meal 5 at 7pm (chicken breast and almonds). I ate about 2/3 of the chicken and all the almonds, and actually started feeling ill, so I threw away the rest. I still have to do a protein shake and 1.5 tbsp of peanut butter tonight. I am not sure if I will be able to eat it or not.

This all being said to tell you that the Palumbo diet is a great way to control your appetite

Well, I am back on tomorrow for at least 16 weeks unless the rest of this fat goes away sooner. I haven't figured out how to keep my mind in the right mind set but I will have to cross that bridge when I get there. I had no issues last time with staying on...not sure what is up this time. But hey...some way...some how...tomorrow starts the new journey.

And thanks everybody for the good words and encouragement.

AVBG
02-22-2009, 10:33 PM
The greatest way to maintain will power is to set goals.. small, medium & large/long term

indianamonster1986
02-22-2009, 10:34 PM
By thinking to yourself that the other competitors are not cheating and I have to be stricter and work harder than anyone else.

tat2mike
02-23-2009, 11:42 AM
I have been on daves diet for about 4 weeks now. I don't crave junk food at all, but I do look forward to sunday cheat meal. I just order Daves new keto DVD.

p.s.
02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
As far as diet goes it's simple I have goals that are far more important than treats/junk food. Plus my diet is high in fats/EFAs and protein and as such I don't suffer the cravings I used to back in the day when I dieted on high carbs and protein with no fats. No cravings=no diet issues.

Frosty
02-23-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm gonna start chewing tobacco again to curb my appetite

Not that it's recommended, but if you are going to do this, find the Swedish General smokeless tobacco. Might need to find a real smoke shop for this, as it's a quality product that needs refrigerated and doesn't have all the nasty shit in it that commercial US brands have. General actually lists its ingredients--something you will NEVER find with commercial US brands! (because it's nasty!)

Frosty
02-23-2009, 01:44 PM
A coach I knew back in high school had a way of getting through a tough diet. He would say to himself "Just ONE more day...." because you can handle just one more day of the diet. Just do that every day :D

Make sure you get enough sleep...I have a friend that I'm helping and he was saying how he's been having hunger issues, and then I come to find out he's sleeping 4-7 hours a night! No wonder!

Some ways I can deal with immediate cravings if they arise are things like drinking water, brushing my teeth with minty toothpaste, doing something to distract like watching TV or listening to music, or have a diet soda.

Some things to prevent cravings include enough quality sleep, staying hydrated, getting plenty of sun, taking time to relax and reduce bad stress (maybe a hot shower, just laying down and closing your eyes, etc). Focus on eating...don't eat while you're watching TV or other things. I use 5g of fiber before breakfast as it keeps me fuller all day. Keeping yourself warm in colder months is vital, IMO. Making a soup out of a meal makes it a lot more filling. Spicy and sour (like vinegar) foods seem to help satisfy hunger. Preventing boredom goes a long way...especially at night it's deadly! Keep food out of sight and smells away as much as you can, and of course don't keep cheat foods even in your house!!

Just some ideas....take what's useful and ignore the stupid stuff :)

bigdaddyd
02-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Man....some awesome information here folks. THANKS

Myth
02-23-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't control my will power. I AM WILL POWER!

tdcoach
02-25-2009, 09:26 AM
When I have major carb cravings I eat a cup of sugar free Jello. 0 carbs, but it taste sweet. of course there are times when I just tell my self to stop being such a wuss. The guy standing next to me on stage isn't cheating, so why am I?

Frosty
02-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Here is a VERY effective technique espoused by Charles Poliquin. Get some heavy duty rubber bands like used in powerlifting. Tie around your head and attach a brick. When you feel a carb craving coming on and you're tempted to indulge, grab the brick with both hands, extend your arms all the way out, and release the brick.

Do this every time you get a carb craving and pretty soon the Pavlovian conditioning will eliminate them entirely!!!!

bigdaddyd
02-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Here is a VERY effective technique espoused by Charles Poliquin. Get some heavy duty rubber bands like used in powerlifting. Tie around your head and attach a brick. When you feel a carb craving coming on and you're tempted to indulge, grab the brick with both hands, extend your arms all the way out, and release the brick.

Do this every time you get a carb craving and pretty soon the Pavlovian conditioning will eliminate them entirely!!!!

That is some funny stuff right there. I might have to try it though!

chucksm00th
02-26-2009, 06:02 PM
I control it casue i dont want any excuses when i get up on stage. If i dont win its becasue i was 100% and my best wasnt good enough, not becasue i got weak and cracked on my diet. Winning is more important than eating, and food is fuel b4 its pleasure.

way too
03-19-2009, 11:51 PM
I stay optimistic because I know that the richest place on earth is a cemetery. There you find book that were never written, loved one's that were never forgiven and people who never did what they really wanted to do.. like people who wanted to have the perfect body...
Very well said. I agree.

Big ER
04-26-2009, 08:02 PM

I tried this.................it hurts A LOT! Is it supposed to hurt this much?

ChunkyThunder
04-26-2009, 08:53 PM
I tried this.................it hurts A LOT! Is it supposed to hurt this much?

No, it's actually kinda relaxing.... try pulling back farther on it before you let go, maybe lean into it a little too

Big ER
04-28-2009, 01:00 AM
no, it's actually kinda relaxing.... Try pulling back farther on it before you let go, maybe lean into it a little too

lmao

MikeS
04-28-2009, 06:15 AM

Willpower.

So whatcha got?

If your training for a show or event (weather social or otherwise) you need to tell yourself - if you dont do everything you can to win/be your best, someone else will.

Also its not about not being able to eat things. I make a choice to eat what I eat to look a certain way, if I wanted those bad foods I would have them, but I dont because then I would look like every other tom, dick or harry.

Its all about choices.

Atleast thats what I tell myself staring at the ben&jerrys in the supermarket ;)