PDA

View Full Version : Cutting is so fun...not!

gman
08-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Cutting is not for the faint of heart!

Is it any wonder that I am hungry...here is my food today so far:

2 scoops of whey in water, 1/2 cup dry measure of cooked oatmeal an hour and a half before lifting
2 scoops of whey blended in water and ice with one banana right after lifting
1 package of starkist sweet and spicy tuna, and a cup of brown rice
1 package of starkist garlic and herb tuna and a low carb soft taco wrap.
6 fish oil caps

I could eat that all in one meal normally!

It's a lot of calories too, 1400...doesn't sound like it would be that many based on reading the list. Luckily I have 2 more meals to eat today, and am aiming at 2000-2200 cals total

Gotta make the sacrifice though, I want to compete, and if this is what it takes to get the lard off, I will keep going until it's done...

GirlyMuscle
08-04-2009, 05:51 PM
You'll get used to it. I'm kind of in robot mode now. Just getting it done. No bitching. No complaining. Sure there's hunger but I'm in contest prep! If I wasn't I'd be worried!

gman
08-04-2009, 05:52 PM
actually just to clarify, the serious cutting starts on 8/20 the day after my 7 day trip to Playa del Carmen with my wife and kids to celebrate our 25th anniversary...I have been doing the diet for the past week and a half though, just to get in the mindset so I won't completely go apeshit in Mexico. When I get back, it's all business!

GirlyMuscle
08-04-2009, 05:53 PM
What diet are you doing? Keto? Or Dave's exact one?

gman
08-04-2009, 05:54 PM
You'll get used to it. I'm kind of in robot mode now. Just getting it done. No bitching. No complaining. Sure there's hunger but I'm in contest prep! If I wasn't I'd be worried!

I will get used to it too! You and I were posting at the same time, I had a little caveat I put up above.

I am not in official contest prep, even when I get back. I just want to lose 1-1.5lbs a week for 20-25 weeks in a row, to get to 12-14% bf, then cruise there for a few months, then my contest diet for august 2010 won't be so strenuous.

GirlyMuscle
08-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I just looked at your food for today. No wonder you're hungry. I'd be hungry, too. I'd bet if you took out the carbs and added good fats you'd be less hungry.

gman
08-04-2009, 05:56 PM
What diet are you doing? Keto? Or Dave's exact one?

Just a high protein, moderate carb and moderate fat diet...I want to eat lots of green veggies (tonight I will eat a half bag of broccoli), and some brown rice/oatmeal/sweet potato type carbs. Protein of 250-300g a day at all costs.

gman
08-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I just looked at your food for today. No wonder you're hungry. I'd be hungry, too. I'd bet if you took out the carbs and added good fats you'd be less hungry.

I am not sure I can do keto all the time though, do you think it's a good idea? I am not in contest mode, just in weight loss mode!

I am trying to do this sensibly and slowly and not put pressure on myself to lose 3-5 lbs a week like I was before.

Youngguns
08-04-2009, 05:59 PM
don't be a baby, and that's what I do eat in one meal.

Youngguns
08-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Some bodybuilders take up smoking to curb hunger, ephedrine kills my hunger, try it maybe?

gman
08-04-2009, 06:04 PM
thanks for the sage advice. I was considering crystal meth.

You have great genetics, you lucky bastard! lol

Youngguns
08-04-2009, 06:06 PM
I am not sure I can do keto all the time though, do you think it's a good idea? I am not in contest mode, just in weight loss mode!

I am trying to do this sensibly and slowly and not put pressure on myself to lose 3-5 lbs a week like I was before.
Wrong, you mean fat loss.

Youngguns
08-04-2009, 06:06 PM
thanks for the sage advice. I was considering crystal meth.

You have great genetics, you lucky bastard! lol
Any thyme.

gman
08-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Wrong, you mean fat loss.

True, that is a great catch.

I also have to visualize how good I will look at 175, a long way off, but I am going to get there this time.

Youngguns
08-04-2009, 06:12 PM
The way I approach dieting, it's better to over eat than under eat, so start off a little higher and get your cardio in.

Quadsweep
08-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I am on day 10 no carbs Keto diet. 200 cals only and I am 211 @ 3.5%...Carbs tonight as I canot even think now!

Q.

GirlyMuscle
08-04-2009, 06:38 PM
You do realize you're in the master's section, oh young one....

GirlyMuscle
08-04-2009, 06:39 PM
It's been 9 days since my last cheat. Tomorrow is it. I am so excited.

gman
08-04-2009, 07:37 PM
I am on day 10 no carbs Keto diet. 200 cals only and I am 211 @ 3.5%...Carbs tonight as I canot even think now!

Q.

serious, only 200 calories a day?

Damn, 211 at 3.5%, that's awesome:bowdown:

I am 215 at 21%! :o

gman
08-04-2009, 07:38 PM
It's been 9 days since my last cheat. Tomorrow is it. I am so excited.

what's it gonna be or have you fantasized about it yet?

gman
08-04-2009, 07:51 PM
just had my favorite meal of the day ( I love this so much I have it almost every day), 2 scoops of whey, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1.5 tbsp of peanut butter, and 2 tbsp of sugar free choc syrup, in a blender with a whole tray of ice cubes and a cup of water. 32 oz of milk shake-like goodness!

sassy69
08-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Quadsweep is a unique specimen. 5% is a "fat day" for him. Personally sometimes I think he thrives on diet misery ;)

And to gman... Cutting...it builds character ... you'll appreciate it when you're older ... you'll be a better person for it ... and you'll have great dieting horror stories to tell your grandkids ;)

gman
08-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I AM older Sassy! Anyway, like I said, seeing some bodybuilders in person, and having some competitor friends from another board to talk to in person gave me some new drive! When they said I had the bod for it, I knew they meant it. Just have to strip the fat off to show off what's under there!

Quadsweep
08-07-2009, 02:33 PM
serious, only 200 calories a day?

Damn, 211 at 3.5%, that's awesome:bowdown:

I am 215 at 21%! :o Woops meant 2000 sorry...still low! 200 I would be killing people....for the meat!

Quadsweep
08-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Quadsweep is a unique specimen. 5% is a "fat day" for him. Personally sometimes I think he thrives on diet misery ;)

And to gman... Cutting...it builds character ... you'll appreciate it when you're older ... you'll be a better person for it ... and you'll have great dieting horror stories to tell your grandkids ;) You may be right...I do find comfort in the pain...WTF is up with that! I am ready to be done though. Being under 4% since May is wearing on me physically. Not an overt one thing just a general sense that its time to be done.

Quad

sassy69
08-07-2009, 03:28 PM
You may be right...I do find comfort in the pain...WTF is up with that! I am ready to be done though. Being under 4% since May is wearing on me physically. Not an overt one thing just a general sense that its time to be done.

Quad

I'm happy to loan a couple % bodyfat to a good cause! :hmn:

Luv2Hurt
08-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Once you are committed to the prep the diet is cake. I liked a modified keto diet just a bit more carbs. Really nothing hard about it once the decision to do it has been made, that's the hard part.

gman
08-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Woops meant 2000 sorry...still low! 200 I would be killing people....for the meat!

the time I was actually succesful getting down to 190, I had to do 1800 a day to get there.

gman
08-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Once you are committed to the prep the diet is cake. I liked a modified keto diet just a bit more carbs. Really nothing hard about it once the decision to do it has been made, that's the hard part.

I think when I really embrace food=fuel, and stop the food=life mentality, it will be pretty easy.

Crusader
08-09-2009, 09:19 AM
I think when I really embrace food=fuel, and stop the food=life mentality, it will be pretty easy.

I enjoy good food but when I'm dieting I have to remind myself that eating really is maintenance.
You can't think about things like egg custard and sweet potato pie.:D

GirlyMuscle
08-09-2009, 05:05 PM
When I diet, if I don't feel a little hungry all the time I feel like I'm eating too much.

gman
08-09-2009, 07:57 PM
that's what I have been told by a close friend who is a bodybuilder...if you aren;t hungry you are eating too much when cutting.

fatbackgoal
08-10-2009, 05:25 PM
I am in the 3rd week of a cut right now. It is difficult at times but the more I get into it the better. I have a long way to go with a possible show in late October. If not it will set me up for a nice proper bulk over the winter.

Dom
08-10-2009, 08:47 PM
I like it. I always find it comforting ? I like to wake up with the empty feeling. The odd thing is I always manage to mess it up some way. :dunno: Cutting is a test in it self.

bruceelbow
08-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Cutting is not for the faint of heart!

Is it any wonder that I am hungry...here is my food today so far:

2 scoops of whey in water, 1/2 cup dry measure of cooked oatmeal an hour and a half before lifting
2 scoops of whey blended in water and ice with one banana right after lifting
1 package of starkist sweet and spicy tuna, and a cup of brown rice
1 package of starkist garlic and herb tuna and a low carb soft taco wrap.
6 fish oil caps

I could eat that all in one meal normally!

It's a lot of calories too, 1400...doesn't sound like it would be that many based on reading the list. Luckily I have 2 more meals to eat today, and am aiming at 2000-2200 cals total

Gotta make the sacrifice though, I want to compete, and if this is what it takes to get the lard off, I will keep going until it's done...

good luck, im going through just what you are brother!

sassy69
08-19-2009, 02:24 AM
FWIW, I'm at about 600 cals/day right now and looking forward to the carb up of a lifetime before the North Americans. This is a big fat experiment (lol haha I made a keto joke...!) Its absolutely mind over matter.

I will just say, I started competition at age 35 and each time I've done it, I've pushed myself to new levels and done things I never thought I could or would have to do (e.g. 3 hrs of cardio/day). The ONLY thing I've found to be limiting in terms of "due to age" is the time it takes to recover, specifically in terms of sleep. I've had nearly zero post-show rebound from the USAs 3 weeks ago, except for a struggle to catch up on sleep. I consider this a fair exchange given I've got 9 yrs more muscle maturity than I did compared to my first show. My feedback tells me its pretty good muscle too ;) But definitely I will take the sleep / recovery into consideration as I come out of the North Americans and go into the 3 month run to Nationals.

If you're gonna do it, DO IT BIG!

Luv2Hurt
08-19-2009, 08:43 AM
FWIW, I'm at about 600 cals/day right now and looking forward to the carb up of a lifetime before the North Americans. This is a big fat experiment (lol haha I made a keto joke...!) Its absolutely mind over matter.

I will just say, I started competition at age 35 and each time I've done it, I've pushed myself to new levels and done things I never thought I could or would have to do (e.g. 3 hrs of cardio/day). The ONLY thing I've found to be limiting in terms of "due to age" is the time it takes to recover, specifically in terms of sleep. I've had nearly zero post-show rebound from the USAs 3 weeks ago, except for a struggle to catch up on sleep. I consider this a fair exchange given I've got 9 yrs more muscle maturity than I did compared to my first show. My feedback tells me its pretty good muscle too ;) But definitely I will take the sleep / recovery into consideration as I come out of the North Americans and go into the 3 month run to Nationals.

If you're gonna do it, DO IT BIG!

600 calories, 3 hours of cardio!! My are you still alive? LOL

D_T
08-19-2009, 02:38 PM

Q.
If my bodyfat gets to single digits I'm hijacking a Ben & Jerry's truck.

sassy69
08-19-2009, 02:54 PM
600 calories, 3 hours of cardio!! My are you still alive? LOL

"Alive" is a euphemism I think.....

GirlyMuscle
08-19-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm just now starting to get overly tired and my strength is starting to drop. I've been dieting for 16 weeks with 12 more to go. *sigh* Hanging in there though. No way I'm not following through. I'll just be walking dead by the time I get there!

Luv2Hurt
08-19-2009, 10:36 PM
"Alive" is a euphemism I think.....

:) Will admitt I had to look up "euphemism" LOL Judging by your avatar you know what you are doing and you do it well. Good luck at the comps!

sassy69
08-20-2009, 04:08 PM
:) Will admitt I had to look up "euphemism" LOL Judging by your avatar you know what you are doing and you do it well. Good luck at the comps!

LOL! Thx :)