PDA

View Full Version : NSAIDS, reduce muscle growth ?

Reloaded
08-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I am sure you've guys have heard, now how true is it ? I cannot sleep without my AdvilPM but I will find alterante means to sleep if I think its impairing my progress.

lilfella
08-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Try melatonin. Super human radio had a great episode on melatonin.

Reloaded
08-04-2009, 06:13 PM
You do not understand the question, melatonan does nothing for me. I prefer NSAIDS, BUT IF THEY ARE IMPARING GROWTH, I will part.

lilfella
08-04-2009, 06:17 PM
I have seen studies that show nsaids greatly inhibit growth. But sleep is also very important. So you need to find something that will help you sleep.

TPT
08-04-2009, 08:32 PM
I am sure you've guys have heard, now how true is it ? I cannot sleep without my AdvilPM but I will find alterante means to sleep if I think its impairing my progress.

it is true. nsaids including ibuprofen suppresses protein synthesis.http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/282/3/E551

the diphenhydramine citrate in your advil is what you probably really need to sleep. maybe you can purchase it by itself.

Reloaded
08-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys, 10 mg of malatonan never did anything for me.

freak
08-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys, 10 mg of malatonan never did anything for me.
try melatonin with 5HTP and GABA about 30 mins before bed

AnimalG
08-07-2009, 11:11 PM
They sell Tylenol PM without the Tylenol. (just the sleep aid) That way you get the sleep inducer without the NSAID. (of course Tylenol is not an NSAID, but there are studies that suggest it is a COX-2 inhibitor, which would likely make it have the same issues as NSAIDs)

TPT
11-14-2009, 01:42 PM
more bad news for nsaids. we arent localizing nsaids into our vasti but the study still has implicatioins to muscle hypertrophy.

Local NSAID infusion inhibits satellite cell proliferation in human skeletal muscle after eccentric exercise

U. R. Mikkelsen,1 H. Langberg,1 I. C. Helmark,1 D. Skovgaard,1 L. L. Andersen,2 M. Kjær,1 and A. L. Mackey1

1Institute of Sports Medicine, Bispebjerg Hospital, and Centre for Healthy Ageing, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen; and ; 2National Research Centre for the Working Environment, Copenhagen, Denmark
Submitted 1 July 2009 ; accepted in final form 23 August 2009
Despite the widespread consumption of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), the influence of these drugs on muscle satellite cells is not fully understood. The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of a local NSAID infusion on satellite cells after unaccustomed eccentric exercise in vivo in human skeletal muscle. Eight young healthy males performed 200 maximal eccentric contractions with each leg. An NSAID was infused via a microdialysis catheter into the vastus lateralis muscle of one leg (NSAID leg) before, during, and for 4.5 h after exercise, with the other leg working as a control (unblocked leg). Muscle biopsies were collected before and 8 days after exercise. Changes in satellite cells and inflammatory cell numbers were investigated by immunohistochemistry. Satellite cells were identified using antibodies against neural cell adhesion molecule and Pax7. The number of Pax7+ cells per myofiber was increased by 96% on day 8 after exercise in the unblocked leg (0.14 ± 0.04, mean ± SE) compared with the prevalue (0.07 ± 0.02, P < 0.05), whereas the number of Pax7+ cells was unchanged in the leg muscles exposed to the NSAID (0.07 ± 0.01). The number of inflammatory cells (CD68+ or CD16+ cells) was not significantly increased in either of the legs 8 days after exercise and was unaffected by the NSAID. The main finding in the present study was that the NSAID infusion for 7.5 h during the exercise day suppressed the exercise-induced increase in the number of satellite cells 8 days after exercise. These results suggest that NSAIDs negatively affect satellite cell activity after unaccustomed eccentric exercise.
muscle damage; myogenic precursor cells; Pax7; neural cell adhesion molecule; cyclooxygenase inhibitor; indomethacin

natron
11-14-2009, 02:29 PM
one negative in regards to NSAIDS is they are not partial to negative inflammation, but positive inflammation as well.

A better option would be to use high dose fish oils (which have numerous positives for bb'ing anyhow) and using phenibut, 5-htp-melatonin before bed.

But, what is it that is causing sleep issues? Anxiety? If yes, phenibut or a magnesium product might work quite well. Magnesium has a benzo type effect on anxiety and muscular tension before sleep.

In regards to melatonin, more is not better, necessarily. It's a tricky supplement, and I'd suggest starting with .5mg/night, increase by .5mg every 3 days until you notice a positive effect. If you dose too high, vivid nightmares and dreams become an issue, seriously. I've went as high as 10mg/night, and guess what? My optimal dose was 1mg/night.