PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning Variations...

BrotherIron
08-05-2009, 09:14 PM
There are many variations that you can use and you can use bands, chains, weight releasers for differing levels of resistance. Different bars which will change the angle and therefore increase difficulty to these movements as well.

Bent Over Good Mornings
Place the bar on your back in a squat position or slightly lower and bend over, rounding the upper back and lower back. It is up to you how far to bend over. This will work the erectors, hamstrings, and glutes by extending the legs and back simultaneously. Bent Over Good Mornings with legs straight build the erectors and increase flexibility in the hamstrings.

Arched Back
This style will build static strength in the erectors, which contributes to keeping the back arched while squatting or sumo deadlifting. Lower the bar as far as possible without loosing your arch.

Power Arched Good Mornings
Use a very wide stance, a low bar position, and lean, don't bend, forward until the bar is in front of the knees. Heavy weights can be employed. This is not a quarter squat.

Combo Squat/Good Morning
This one is very important for learning to extend all the squat and deadlift muscles. With a moderate stance and the bar held low on the back, bend forward until the back is close to parallel to the floor. Roll the lower back over and descend into a full squat. To stand up, straighten out the legs. This is very effective for building tremendous extension strength.

Seated Good Morning on a box or bench
Sit on a box/bench which is parallel or thereabouts and bend over. This takes the legs out of the exercise, which is helpful if your injured or have a large stomach.

Good Mornings on Floor
Good mornings done while seated on the floor are very effective. Sit on the floor with an empty bar on the shoulders. Now, bend forward as far as possible. Breathe normally, or in other words, relax!!! You're flexibility will increase rapidly from this exercise.
Feel free to add other exercises as well.

robert da strongman
08-05-2009, 09:22 PM
used to do seated good mornings while holding a sandbag

BrotherIron
08-05-2009, 09:51 PM
used to do seated good mornings while holding a sandbag

I like to do Seated GM on a bench and lower myself all the way down till my chest touches the bench. I also like to use a cambered bar when doing them standing.

During my next group of exercises, I'll be doing the GM/Squat Combo.

robert da strongman
08-28-2009, 09:06 PM
suspended good mornings with bands add a new dimension to this exercise

realmccoy
08-28-2009, 10:06 PM
My favorite one's are:
* Power Arched Good Mornings
* Bent Over Good Mornings

Also using different bars changes the effects: safety squat bar and cambered bar