PDA

View Full Version : strongman dilemma

robert da strongman
08-06-2009, 07:38 PM
ok folks...i want some input.
i am competing september 12. the comp is interesting because i wont know the events till the day of the comp.

what events would you train for?

GirlyMuscle
08-06-2009, 07:44 PM
I thought you were competing on Sept 5th. Are you doing two comps?

robert da strongman
08-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I thought you were competing on Sept 5th. Are you doing two comps?

with my mom in the hospital i dropped the 5th

tjoe
08-06-2009, 09:59 PM
two pressing workouts per week
A) log clean and press, clean every rep, work on reps to help air. This will help EVERYTHING even the conditioning required for "other" possible events.
B) odd object press but heavy triples. block, heavy log, kegs, axle etc. this will really help all the "core stability" and if you can press a heavy "odd" object, you'll be fine with a... non odd object :)

- A carrying day. farmers, frame, yoke, kegs, etc. almost always some form of carry. A truck pull/push may go well on this day as well.

- A loading day. stones, sandbags, kegs. Deads would go nicely here too.

There are two things you may need. Strength and Reps. I highly recommend working on both since you don't know.
It may be a great idea to work both aspects each day. In that case I would start with the heavy move and then work on the reps after that. Example"

Pressing day:
Heavy kegs maybe 3 triples... a good rest and then log clean and press for rep (cleaning all reps)

Carry day:
Heavy ass yoke (maybe 50 ft. runs)
farmers or tire or truck pull for maybe 100-200 ft. work on that air.

Loading day:
deads, work up to a single
Heavy kegs on a high platform
stone over a bar for reps (90 second limit)

and then switch around the moves next time.

robert da strongman
08-06-2009, 10:02 PM
good idea.

was thinking a carry day...have a husafell stone at my apartment.
pressing and deadlifting in the gym.
stones, farmers, yoke and tire at my training partners.

tjoe
08-06-2009, 10:05 PM
it will be tough not knowing the events but you need maximum strength and great conditioning. If those bases are covered...

robert da strongman
08-06-2009, 10:07 PM
it will be tough not knowing the events but you need maximum strength and great conditioning. If those bases are covered...

yup! thats the best part of the comp. it could be anything.
might throw in log or steal my buddies keg and do it at home.

robert da strongman
08-07-2009, 06:24 PM
talked with my training partner...
i am just going train the events he is training for nationals. they cover all the bases.
tire, log, stones, yoke, farmers

Ryan Bracewell
08-07-2009, 07:04 PM
I think it is so dumb when promoters don't post their events. This was done back in the beginning of Strongman, but only because it was new not because they thought it showed who was the true strongman. Personally I would not even do the contest.

Now that im done with my rant.....You might want to look up some of the promoters other contests. Might give you and idea of what is to come.

robert da strongman
08-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I think it is so dumb when promoters don't post their events. This was done back in the beginning of Strongman, but only because it was new not because they thought it showed who was the true strongman. Personally I would not even do the contest.

Now that im done with my rant.....You might want to look up some of the promoters other contests. Might give you and idea of what is to come.

yeah it is kinda dumb. i know mike johnston would like to post events but no weights.

Ryan Bracewell
08-07-2009, 07:16 PM
yeah it is kinda dumb. i know mike johnston would like to post events but no weights.

I wouldn't have a problem with not posting weight if you knew the events. At least them you have an idea of what to prepare for.

robert da strongman
08-07-2009, 07:17 PM
exactly!
knowing the events helps. ah well this is all for fun anyway.