PDA

View Full Version : Another birth control question...

stephaniewicked
08-07-2009, 12:56 AM
I just had a random conversation with my friend about birth control and casually mentioned how I'm still using the same one (kariva) for a little over a year now. I started on it because she (the friend I was having the conversation with) was on it and was happy... until she reminded me just now that the reason she went off it was because it made her depressed, gave her major mood swings, completely crazy...

THIS IS SO ME!!!! I'm almost always unhappy for no damn reason, if I am happy, I get upset at the drop of a dime and my bf (now ex - who I just psychotically broke up with for the millionth time a few days ago) has not been able to understand for months why I've been this way. I just made an appointment today, in fact, to see a therapist next week to figure out WTF is going on with me. This is not how I used to be...

Anyway, I just started googling this pill and it seems like many other people have experienced the same thing from being on it... could it be? It is starting to make sense...

I have a doctor's appointment with my obgyn in a few days because I wanted to talk to her about going off the pill anyway in hopes that it would help me lean out better... After learning this information though, I'm even more anxious to do so.

I've been on birth control for 8 years (only a year or so on this particular one)... so I never even considered that it could be the root to my problem. Any thoughts, words of advice or similar stories??

GeminiJedi
08-07-2009, 01:06 AM
When I was on LoEstrin I was a crazy emotional bitch. That didn't last more than 2 weeks before I switched. Last time I talked with my GYN she said that was fairly common of LoEstrin. Not sure about Kariva. My understanding was that it is a lower dose of hormones. BUT, that being said, all hormones can affect someone in a negative way. I would ABSOLUTELY consider switching birth controls. I'm on Zovia and LOVE it. I did get major ice cream cravings my first couple weeks on it, but that weight came off easily once I stopped being lazy, too ;)

stephaniewicked
08-07-2009, 03:01 AM
I get ice cream cravings anyway, so I don't think I could blame it on bc... :)

In all seriousness though, for the last several months, I've been batshit fxcking crazy and after reading all the comments on this askapatient.com, it's like I could have written some of them verbatim. I'm so relieved to feel like so many people understand what I've been going through alone for so long... I think I'm outside the pregnancy danger zone so I'm quitting these damn things asap! I want to be normal again!! :(

sassy69
08-07-2009, 03:54 AM
Definitely explore other options. Its all about finding a hormone dose that works with YOUR body chemistry. I was lucky - somehow I ended up on a very low dose pill back in the mid 80s and stayed with it until around 2005 when I went off for a while (while competing) and then went to Nuvaring, and ultimately to the Mirena IUD.

Best of luck w/ that - get back to "normal"!

Tatyana
08-07-2009, 04:16 AM
There are so many formulations for oestrogen and progesterone, there will be one of these in the correct dose that will suit you better.

tammyp
08-07-2009, 06:36 AM
i have alot of friends that love the new IUD. i dont need anything myself, but from what i hear, this is a good choice for the competitor.

GeminiJedi
08-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I think the IUD is a great option for women looking for long-term BC. I would have one if my insurance paid for it. So for now, it's saving time :)

figurebre
08-08-2009, 12:06 AM
I've used the Nuva ring for 7 years. I haven't ever experienced any side effects from it. Although I have been off birthcontrol for almost a solid year now because of contest prep. I would suggest you try it...its easy, you dont forget about it, its low estrogen and I never experienced any weight gain/loss.

LisaRD23
08-08-2009, 04:16 PM
After 9 years of being on BC..1st Depo-Provera, then after experimenting I stood on Yasmin for a while, I decided to just get off hormonal BC all together.

A few months before I decided to get off I realized that every week I had something wrong with me. Either a headache, stomach ache, PMS but then had a very light period, moody, or just plain feeling "off".

It took a few months to feel normal again, but I think my body just needed a break from artificial hormones. My husband had to get used to wearing condoms again, but really he'd rather deal with the rubber than a crazy wife.

Doozer
08-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I was on Yasmin , caused weight issues i swear. The hormones definitely caused major cravings, less motivation and strength for lifting, and a hard time losing fat.....i went off them 4 yrs ago and lost alot of weight in the 3 months after. I went back on bc a year ago. then recently i just stopped the BC AGAIN cuz i noticed i was having a hard time with the last few pounds and no sex drive.....
it's been 3 weeks and i lost the last few and i'm horny again. Coincidence?-i don't think so. progesterone is acutually a testosterone blocker from what i've been told.

So i got fitted for a diaphragm yesterday. the clinician said thats all they had in the 70s and it works well if you follow the instructions.. I couldn't even feel it in and it was easy to figure out how to use after the first few tries.
Had the copper IUD, was the worst experience of my life--putting it in was horrible and cramping really bad 2weeks a month, sex hurt

kungfuprincess007
09-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Maybe I should look into other options. I'm on the loestrin (microgestin). But I like it because I don't have a period ever since I take it continuously. So I'm at 116 right now. Have no idea how this is working with my chemistry and building muscle though....

tammyp
09-20-2009, 05:44 PM
building muscle isnt so much a probelm as getting lean. estrogen lives in fat cells, so its harder to lean out in your lower half, for some, not all.

Bolan
09-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Rhythm method should be used. :)

stephaniewicked
09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
building muscle isnt so much a probelm as getting lean. estrogen lives in fat cells, so its harder to lean out in your lower half, for some, not all.

That's MY problem! :(

I started on nuvaring last month after talking with my doctor. So far, so good!

LisaRD23
09-23-2009, 10:56 AM
That's MY problem! :(

I started on nuvaring last month after talking with my doctor. So far, so good!

Have you had any problems with it during intercourse? I tried nuvaring a few years back and I had to take it out a few times b/c it was bothering my husband, he was able to feel it and it irritated him.

stephaniewicked
09-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Have you had any problems with it during intercourse? I tried nuvaring a few years back and I had to take it out a few times b/c it was bothering my husband, he was able to feel it and it irritated him.

Yeah, not EVERY time, but on several occasions I've had to. No big deal though... my doctor said I can have it out for up to 4 hours (not like I would ever!), but still... it's nice not to have to worry about taking a pill anymore.

LisaRD23
09-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Yeah, not EVERY time, but on several occasions I've had to. No big deal though... my doctor said I can have it out for up to 4 hours (not like I would ever!), but still... it's nice not to have to worry about taking a pill anymore.

I used to get worried that I'd fall asleep "after" then forget to put it back in....

I'm happier with zero hormone BC for now.

stephaniewicked
09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
I used to get worried that I'd fall asleep "after" then forget to put it back in....

I'm happier with zero hormone BC for now.

What are you on that's zero hormone? I spoke with my doctor back in August during my last visit and explained my situation and Nuvaring was the best option out of the ones I qualified for. Apparently you have to have already had a child in order to get IUD, so it wasn't an option for me...

LisaRD23
09-29-2009, 11:53 AM
What are you on that's zero hormone?

Lol...I mean I'm not "on" anything anymore.
Condoms & spermacide gel.

sassy69
09-29-2009, 12:41 PM
What are you on that's zero hormone? I spoke with my doctor back in August during my last visit and explained my situation and Nuvaring was the best option out of the ones I qualified for. Apparently you have to have already had a child in order to get IUD, so it wasn't an option for me...

If you're younger , the general assumption is that youare still child-bearing years and IUDs are considered longer term "semi-permanent" B/C (not that they aren't reverseible - just intended for long term use-e.g 5 yrs).

I was 42 & single when I got my IUD - at that point don't really intend to have kids, but have never had a kid - got it. You might need to convince your OBGYN that you don't want kids or soemthing but its not like its a drop down dead MUST.

stephaniewicked
09-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Lol...I mean I'm not "on" anything anymore.
Condoms & spermacide gel.

:o I was so confused and thought I was left out on some big secret or something, lol. Wow... okay, blonde moment. Thanks for clearing that up. I don't really want to take that route, so I guess I'm dwindling down my own options here.

Sass - Thank you for clarifying. She pretty much ruled it out as an option and went on to tell me about the other choices I had, so I never finished getting all the details.

fitbody
11-04-2009, 10:22 PM
I just had a random conversation with my friend about birth control and casually mentioned how I'm still using the same one (kariva) for a little over a year now. I started on it because she (the friend I was having the conversation with) was on it and was happy... until she reminded me just now that the reason she went off it was because it made her depressed, gave her major mood swings, completely crazy...

THIS IS SO ME!!!! I'm almost always unhappy for no damn reason, if I am happy, I get upset at the drop of a dime and my bf (now ex - who I just psychotically broke up with for the millionth time a few days ago) has not been able to understand for months why I've been this way. I just made an appointment today, in fact, to see a therapist next week to figure out WTF is going on with me. This is not how I used to be...

Anyway, I just started googling this pill and it seems like many other people have experienced the same thing from being on it... could it be? It is starting to make sense...

I have a doctor's appointment with my obgyn in a few days because I wanted to talk to her about going off the pill anyway in hopes that it would help me lean out better... After learning this information though, I'm even more anxious to do so.

I've been on birth control for 8 years (only a year or so on this particular one)... so I never even considered that it could be the root to my problem. Any thoughts, words of advice or similar stories??

why don't you just get an IUD ?
i had one for years then took out had my son and got back in
way cheaper easier to use don't have to think about it
not skrewing with your hormone levels

-BLP-
11-04-2009, 10:41 PM
my gf switch birth pill n her vagina was way lubricated !? im serious

figurebre
11-07-2009, 02:06 AM
I just recently got back on birth control as well. I have used the same one for 8 years...the nuva ring...which supposedly is the lowest estrogen producing.
Anyways this last year was my first time to be off of it since I had begun using it. And once I started it back up, I have been SO EMOTIONAL. I am so sensitive...I am getting depressed if my friends dont call me or give me enough attention...its really bizarre.
Does all birth control do this? is it because of the excess estrogen?
And on top of the mood swings, my face started breaking out. grr

The Big Sexy
11-07-2009, 02:06 AM

Whoa wait what?

sassy69
11-07-2009, 02:22 AM
I just recently got back on birth control as well. I have used the same one for 8 years...the nuva ring...which supposedly is the lowest estrogen producing.
Anyways this last year was my first time to be off of it since I had begun using it. And once I started it back up, I have been SO EMOTIONAL. I am so sensitive...I am getting depressed if my friends dont call me or give me enough attention...its really bizarre.
Does all birth control do this? is it because of the excess estrogen?
And on top of the mood swings, my face started breaking out. grr

How long have you been on the new stuff? I was off my pills for about a year while I competed in 2005 and then went back on nuvaring because I kept forgetting to take the daily pills. I really had no problems w/ it, and never really had any issus w/ my pills, which I was on for about 15 yrs. All very low dose.

Two things are coming to mind - if you've only been on it < 2-3 months, it can take that long for your body to acclimate to an impact to your hormone levels. If its been a while that you've been on nuvaring, then it might just not be the best hormone dose & combination (estro / progest) for your body chemistry. Sometimes you need to just work w/ your OBGYN to get the right dose for you.

sassy69
11-07-2009, 02:23 AM

Was it not before?

sassy69
11-07-2009, 02:32 AM
:o I was so confused and thought I was left out on some big secret or something, lol. Wow... okay, blonde moment. Thanks for clearing that up. I don't really want to take that route, so I guess I'm dwindling down my own options here.

Sass - Thank you for clarifying. She pretty much ruled it out as an option and went on to tell me about the other choices I had, so I never finished getting all the details.

I'm not sure I like that she ruled it out for you - did you get a real reason why?

stephaniewicked
11-07-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure I like that she ruled it out for you - did you get a real reason why?

I guess because of my age and she assumed I want kids one day..? I mean, that's the furthest thing from my mind right now and I don't know if I ever want to reproduce, so that isn't a concern for me... but I didn't really argue and I'm happy with nuvaring for now, so I'll just roll with it.

sassy69
11-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I guess because of my age and she assumed I want kids one day..? I mean, that's the furthest thing from my mind right now and I don't know if I ever want to reproduce, so that isn't a concern for me... but I didn't really argue and I'm happy with nuvaring for now, so I'll just roll with it.

OK as long as you're ok w/ it. I get that doctors want to give you their best recommendation, but I think for those of us coming from the fitness side of things where we have specific goals but are also pretty well aware of the types of things that impact our physiques (i.e. hormones), I never get the sense that anyone in the medical industry is aware of that. They are dealing w/ the general public, and I REALLY think they are the most ignorant of those things that are the most fundamental - nutrition and hormones.

amy13
12-17-2009, 04:07 PM
so I have been looking into my options - I don't want kids - already have one :)

I think the best way is to get off estrogen based methods??? Is the progesterone BC pill as bad???

For the IUD what I've read is there are 2 types - hormone and copper... anyone had any experience with either? Seems to me if you are going to go hormone route - why not just do the pill? The nuva ring is estrogen too - right?
I'm confused!!! help... please :)

amy13
12-26-2009, 01:07 AM
I just came across this study about female athletes and the BCP and thought you gals may want to check it out...

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/43210/title/Birth_control_pills_can_limit_muscle-training_gains

-BLP-
12-26-2009, 02:32 AM
if low libido go IUD,, will save a couple

Toniann
12-27-2009, 02:29 PM
I have the copper IUD for the last 2 years with out any problems. I chose the copper one because it is non-hormonal. To be honest I think it's great that I hardly get a period, I also don't get bloated when I do get my period and my menstrual headaches are long gone.
The only problem and it's not really a problem is when I am intimidate with my husband and depends on the position but he can feel it prick him down there, the doctor said to be careful about that cause you can knock it out.