PDA

View Full Version : where do you get your eggs?

peteacher
08-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Just curious what kind of eggs everyone here gets. My local organic farm has recently added Pastured Eggs to their offerings, and I am considering ordering some in addition to the box of organic fruits and veggies we get every week. They are pretty expensive but they are really high quality. They let there chickens graze freely in an organic almond orchard in addition to providing them with fresh water and certified organic grain. Apparently pastured chicken eggs are much higher in vitamins A,E, and D as well as Omega 3's. They are also lower in saturated fat and cholesterol. What kind of eggs do you guys get?

Rattbones
08-07-2009, 01:33 AM
whatevers at the store, I go throw 2 flats a week and don't want to pay more money for something like eggs.

Ninja Loco
08-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Local store........ Why split hairs on something like EGGS???

Por2gue
08-07-2009, 03:39 AM
Chicken butts

Ripped Italian
08-07-2009, 03:46 AM
Costco or Trader Joe's

tammyp
08-07-2009, 08:11 AM
aldis. 85c a dozen

buckimscl
08-07-2009, 08:16 AM
I buy 'em at Wal-mart in 5 dozen flats.

GRAVESY
08-07-2009, 10:15 AM
BJ's
5dozen about $7
pack of 18 Omega3 $3.19( cheaper than the $3.29 for 12 at stopandshop).

In a pinch i will go to stop and shop and grab some egg whites.

Shadow
08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Sam's Club. 5 dozen for...can't remember, but it's cheap. I was getting the Omega-3 eggs from the regular grocery store, but that was breaking the bank. So know I'm back to regular eggs and just using my Omega supp to fill in the blanks.

Frosty
08-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Local store........ Why split hairs on something like EGGS???

Because the nutrient content and fat composition are extremely dependent on how the chickens were raised and fed.

Frosty
08-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Paying for chickens just fed organic grain is almost stupid. Chickens aren't grain eaters...it's just used to accelerate egg production. Pastured is better if they're truly outside because chickens should be eating lots of bugs and some supplemental feed preferably containing flax seeds. The healthiest eggs come from chickens just outside eating bugs, but you won't find that in stores because they don't produce the volume of eggs that feed fed chickens do. This would even be hard to find unless you found some farmer that's into this kinda thing, or if you live in another country where farmers are poorer and can't afford feed.

buckimscl
08-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I also sometimes use www.eggwhitesint.com (http://www.eggwhitesint.com) . They can be kind of pricey but I can also make a straight protein shake with them since they are pasteurized.

Suzy Brown
08-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Just curious what kind of eggs everyone here gets. My local organic farm has recently added Pastured Eggs to their offerings, and I am considering ordering some in addition to the box of organic fruits and veggies we get every week. They are pretty expensive but they are really high quality. They let there chickens graze freely in an organic almond orchard in addition to providing them with fresh water and certified organic grain. Apparently pastured chicken eggs are much higher in vitamins A,E, and D as well as Omega 3's. They are also lower in saturated fat and cholesterol. What kind of eggs do you guys get?

I pay $4ish a dz for eggs like you're describing. I can taste the difference between the good ones from the farmers' market and the crap ones from the corner store.

Ninja Loco
08-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Because the nutrient content and fat composition are extremely dependent on how the chickens were raised and fed.
No shit sherlock?? And allllllll that is going to make such a huuuuuuuuuuge difference tha

Never mind.

Frosty
08-07-2009, 01:47 PM
No shit sherlock?? And allllllll that is going to make such a huuuuuuuuuuge difference tha

Never mind.

Huge difference? No.

B7emm
08-07-2009, 01:52 PM
aldis. 85c a dozen

same here they were 45c a dozen last week. i love aldi.

B7emm
08-07-2009, 01:56 PM
i had 10 hens at home for a long time i let them free range. i got about 11 or so eggs every other day. i like the flavor of the eggs i had better. probably in my head. i had a few that would lay tented eggs like a light green color.

Zetawill
08-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I buy mine from an old lady that raises her own chickens and eggs out in the country close by where I live.
Her chickens produce 3 dozen eggs a day and I usually consume a dozen a day, so I make a trip out to my farm every 2-3 weeks and stock up. She charges me a $1 a dozen and all I do is recycle the old egg cartons.
She thought I was nuts when I first asked for 21 dozen. She thought I was gonna egg some houses, then she saw me and realized I'm not the average country boy!

I will say that they taste better and I'm pretty sure they are really loaded with Omegas as they are grain fed.

Frosty
08-07-2009, 02:20 PM
I will say that they taste better and I'm pretty sure they are really loaded with Omegas as they are grain fed.

These are better than store-bought, but grain fed doesn't produce high omega-3 content....quite the opposite. Eating lots of insects and flax seeds produces high nutrient and omega-3 content.

Zetawill
08-07-2009, 03:30 PM
These are better than store-bought, but grain fed doesn't produce high omega-3 content....quite the opposite. Eating lots of insects and flax seeds produces high nutrient and omega-3 content.

Thanks for the correction.....yeah they eat a healthy diet of grass hoppers and crickets, since my hay pasture is right next to this lady!

ANADROLicfreak
08-07-2009, 03:32 PM
i buy my eggs at the store.does this help?

Zetawill
08-07-2009, 08:45 PM
i buy my eggs at the store.does this help?

You live next to farm land bro.....buy from local old ladies......They have grand daughters! lol

capone1153
08-07-2009, 10:03 PM
if they are for egg whites i jsut use bulk cheap regular eggs

if they are whole eggs i go for the omega 3 cage free version

DCHMUSCLE88
08-08-2009, 12:42 AM
i buy mine at jewel osco

CallofDuty4
08-08-2009, 03:20 PM
I buy the mines at Genuardi's I dont mind paying for Eggs. Instead of paying for shit in the grocery store just spend more money the stuff that you need. Instead of buying the case of HO Ho's or twinkies, just buy 2 flats of Omega3 eggs...