PDA

View Full Version : Keto Diet and my Wife....

zubbeyboy
08-07-2009, 05:15 PM
I have been following the Keto way myself for over 15 years.I have been following the Palumbo Diet for the past few years and have had numerous clients male and female use it with great results.

My wife (5'7" 140# 37 Years old) is extremelly frustrated that she cannot get her bodyfat level down to where she is happy with herself.Id love her to try the Palumbo Diet but she is training for the NY Marathon in September.She is dedicated and trains consistantly with weights as well and eats a healthy diet.I would think that a Keto Diet would not be a good diet for her training for a Marathon.

Any input is appreciated?

SallyAnne
08-07-2009, 05:28 PM
I don't think it would be, either. She'll need the carbs for energy.

zubbeyboy
08-07-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't think it would be, either. She'll need the carbs for energy.

Agreed.
Maybe ill post her diet and possibly someone will have some input.Shes so frustrated i feel bad for her.She does work hard in the gym and eats 5 smaller meals a day.She looks great to me but SHE is not happy with how she looks.

Frosty
08-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Totally disagree. A low carb diet can actually ENHANCE endurance.

Quick note. No, the strict Palumbo Diet will not be good for endurance. Simple reason is that the carbs are too low per week.

The type of diet that would work for her would be higher in total fat (from good sources) and a carb day OR TWO depending on how she reacts to it.

Let me give a quick explanation as to why this diet is superior to a carb-based diet when it comes to endurance. On a carb-based diet the body is geared more towards burning carbohydrates for energy, and the thing is carbohydrate stores are really severely limited in the human body. The body uses fat for energy for endurance training as well, but it's not as efficiently used.

Now if you restrict carbs and eat a higher fat diet, the body becomes very good at using fat for energy. All the pathways involved in it are ramped up so the body uses fat easier, including body fat. The body has enormous energy stores in the form of fat, and for endurance it is a great ability to tap into that efficiently.

Then combine carbohydrate loading along with strong fat adaptation and you have superior endurance. You can have larger glycogen stores as well as efficiently use fat for energy which is really important for real endurance.

The caveat is that for the first 3-4 weeks her endurance will be DOWN because the body isn't yet strongly adapted. After 4-5 weeks adaptation is much stronger and endurance will start to increase.

I would recommend eating 50-60% energy from fats and generally more calories to make up for the caloric demands of endurance training (this makes adaptation easier physiologically and psychologically). Same 2 week intro phase, and then start with 1 carb day eating some fruits and plenty of grains like pastas, breads, rice, etc. Experiment with the carb load....it can be 1-2 days depending on how she reacts to it and you do adapt to the carb loading as well as the low carb portion. Experimentation is key to get optimal performance.

Frosty
08-07-2009, 10:31 PM
A quick addendum. If she can focus more on red meats and include liver at least once a week that should also be helpful for endurance especially being a woman.

zubbeyboy
08-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Frosty,

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear!Thank You!
I will read this tomorrow with her but hey man it makes sense.We may have a few questions but its late so just wanted to say that we appreciate the feedback and we will talk atcha....

zubbeyboy
08-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Totally disagree. A low carb diet can actually ENHANCE endurance.

Quick note. No, the strict Palumbo Diet will not be good for endurance. Simple reason is that the carbs are too low per week.

The type of diet that would work for her would be higher in total fat (from good sources) and a carb day OR TWO depending on how she reacts to it.

Let me give a quick explanation as to why this diet is superior to a carb-based diet when it comes to endurance. On a carb-based diet the body is geared more towards burning carbohydrates for energy, and the thing is carbohydrate stores are really severely limited in the human body. The body uses fat for energy for endurance training as well, but it's not as efficiently used.

Now if you restrict carbs and eat a higher fat diet, the body becomes very good at using fat for energy. All the pathways involved in it are ramped up so the body uses fat easier, including body fat. The body has enormous energy stores in the form of fat, and for endurance it is a great ability to tap into that efficiently.

Then combine carbohydrate loading along with strong fat adaptation and you have superior endurance. You can have larger glycogen stores as well as efficiently use fat for energy which is really important for real endurance.

The caveat is that for the first 3-4 weeks her endurance will be DOWN because the body isn't yet strongly adapted. After 4-5 weeks adaptation is much stronger and endurance will start to increase.

I would recommend eating 50-60% energy from fats and generally more calories to make up for the caloric demands of endurance training (this makes adaptation easier physiologically and psychologically). Same 2 week intro phase, and then start with 1 carb day eating some fruits and plenty of grains like pastas, breads, rice, etc. Experiment with the carb load....it can be 1-2 days depending on how she reacts to it and you do adapt to the carb loading as well as the low carb portion. Experimentation is key to get optimal performance.

So are you saying she should have a Carb Day or two similar to my refeeds?weekend only?
Could you post a example of Diet youd suggest Frosty?
As well on her long run training days how much carbs should she take in?
And you mentioned adding Red Meat and Liver.Like real liver or tabs?
Shes really skeptical of this because it is frowned on in the running world but my favorite saying is "Question Authority...Think for yourself".

Thank you for your time

Frosty
08-08-2009, 06:55 PM
So are you saying she should have a Carb Day or two similar to my refeeds?weekend only?
Could you post a example of Diet youd suggest Frosty?
As well on her long run training days how much carbs should she take in?
And you mentioned adding Red Meat and Liver.Like real liver or tabs?
Shes really skeptical of this because it is frowned on in the running world but my favorite saying is "Question Authority...Think for yourself".

Thank you for your time

What days of the week does she do long run training?

I'm not familiar with your refeed so I'm not sure if it would be similar, but it's a general carb load. Doesn't have to be super low fat or anything.

Real liver OR liver tabs would be fine.

zubbeyboy
08-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi Frosty,

I am Zubbeyboy's wife. I appreciate your knowledge and input and appreciate any help you can provide. I am 12 weeks away from the NY Marathon (my first one) and am having a difficult time losing the ten pounds that I put on over the last year. I currently run 4 days a week with a long run on Sat or Sun. My current diet consists of:

1/2 c oats w/ 5 egg whites for breakfast
1 appple w/15 almonds for snack
4-6 oz lean protein, 1/2 yam and green veggies for lunch
4-6 oz lean protein, spinach w/strawberries, balsamic vinegar, 1/2 yam for pm snack
4-6 oz lean protein, salad w/bals vinegar, green veggies for dinner

I did Palumbos diet before and was told not get my heart rate above 130 bpm. On my shorter run I am sure that it gets higher than that so will it hinder my training? I would like to lose the ten pounds before the marathon as I think it will help my performance even though I just want to finish the marathon and am not looking to set a certain time limit on it.

Any suggestions you have I greatly appreciate. Thanks for your time.

Frosty
08-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I would carb load on Thursday or Friday which would support you in your long run training on Saturday or Sunday. Your heart rate will be well over 130 but that's fine since you're taking in more carbs to support that type of activity.

Please keep in mind your endurance will be down for the first month or so but you have to stick with it through the adaptation. Fats being higher than on the Palumbo diet will help support you through the training since really fat is a great energy source for running.

zubbeyboy
08-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Frosty,

Hey man its me zubbeyboy.I am writing a diet for Sharman and am confused as how to space her meals.She does her workout at 5AM.So i was writing a diet -
5am
-40G Whey
1tsp Mac Nut Oil
2 Grams Fish Oil

6AM
-5 Whole Flax Eggs
Multi Vitamin Pak (Universal Fitness Paks)
2 Grams Fish oil

9AM
-4-5 Oz Chicken
1/4 C Nuts or Tsp Peanut Butter

12PM
-Whey and Mac Nut Oil
1 Gram Fish Oil

3PM-
Salmon or Red Meat
1/2 C Broccoli with EVOO
2 Grams Fish Oil

Okay my problem is that it is only 3PM and she has had her 5 alloted meals.What can i do?She cant starve from 3PM to 8PM.Also where and how much Liver tabs should she eat?

Frosty
08-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Space the meals out more and/or have a 6th meal but make the others a bit smaller so it's the same amount of food. She could take say 5 Beverly liver tabs with meat meals.

She might wanna get in more fat than that with endurance training.

zubbeyboy
08-09-2009, 02:18 PM
How does this sound?

Meal #1-
(Postworkout)
2 Scoop Whey Isolate
2Tbsp Peanut Butter
2 Grams Fish Oil
Multi Vitamin Pak

Meal#2
9AM
5 Whole Flax Eggs
2 Grams Fish Oil

Meal#3
Noon
4 Oz. Chicken
1 1/2 Tbsp Mac Nut oil or EVOO
5 Liver Tabs
2 Grams Fish Oil

Meal#4
3PM
2 Scoops Whey Isolate
1/2 C Raw Nuts
2 Grams Fish Oil

Meal#5
6PM
4 Oz Red Meat or Fish (Fatty Meal)
1/2 Cup Broccoli
2 Tbsp EVOO or Mac Nut Oil
2 Grams Fish Oil
5 Liver Tabs

Frosty
08-09-2009, 03:22 PM
That looks pretty good. Is she okay with not eating after 6 pm, though?

zubbeyboy
08-09-2009, 03:40 PM
That looks pretty good. Is she okay with not eating after 6 pm, though?

yes she goes to bed at 8PM

Frosty
08-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Cool man get her started on it and see how she does. I wouldn't be afraid to let her have a low carb snack with some fat during the first 2 weeks if needed. We can always modify things if needed but I'm not expecting it to be really easy at first. It'll be nice to see how she does with the carb day once it's time.

zubbeyboy
08-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Ya its on tomorrow.She should be fine.She did Daves Diet for about 6 weeks last year so she has ran on Ketones before.Thanks again for taking the time Frosty.Your a good dude.We will keep you all updated.

Heather Grace
08-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Great thread- I'm looking forward to following along...