PDA

View Full Version : Silva's Next Fight

-Z-
08-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Anderson Silva was shaking his head no before the reporter finished his question. Silva was shaking his index finger, too.

The UFC middleweight champion didn’t need his interpreter to tell him that his knockout win Saturday over Forrest Griffin would only crank up the calls for a dream matchup against Lyoto Machida. So as soon as Silva heard “Machida” -- the name of a friend, occasional training partner and UFC 205-pound titleholder -- at the UFC 101 postfight news conference, he began dismissing the possibility of ever fighting him.

Then UFC President Dana White intervened.

“These two are friends,” White said, quick to remark on the matter before Silva. “It has nothing to do with friendship. It’s about who’s the best. It’s about competing against somebody else, no different than a basketball game or a football game. If Anderson gets to that point where he starts taking out 205-pounders, I’ll make that fight. I promise you, I’ll make that fight.”

White turned to Silva and Ed Soares, the Brazilian’s manager and interpreter.

“Go ahead,” he told them, half-jokingly. “What’d you want to say?”

Everyone laughed. Everyone waited.

Silva answered in Portuguese, which Soares translated: “Lyoto’s my friend. He’s my brother, and there’s no way that fight will happen.” There was a pause for laughter and to take account of the gamesmanship between fighter and promoter. “And also not just because (Lyoto’s) my friend. (Lyoto would) be a big problem for me.”

Silva was grinning when he said that last line. Still, it warranted some ohs and aws, which will have to do for now.

Henderson ‘Probably’ Next at 185; Roy Jones Jr. Talk Lingers

A middleweight title defense against Dan Henderson is “probably” next for Silva, according to White.

Henderson is coming off a highlight-reel knockout over Michael Bisping at UFC 100, but judging from facial expressions, Silva didn’t look too interested with the rematch when White mentioned it Saturday night. The Brazilian had joked and teased throughout the postfight news conference; when Henderson was mentioned, Silva wasn’t grinning. He’d rather box Roy Jones Jr., who was reportedly in the audience at UFC 101.

White reiterated that he doesn’t like the Jones Jr. idea.

“I respect boxing,” he said, careful to express his respect for Jones Jr. as well. “I respect the sport of boxing. … I don’t know what would happen if Anderson Silva went in to box Roy Jones Jr. I just don’t see the point. This is MMA; this is what we do.”

Silva, for his part, sat there smiling. Later he frowned and formed a timeout with his hands when more discussion of his next bout came up.

Here was everyone wanting to make his next match, and he wasn’t but an hour or two removed from a masterful performance against a former UFC light heavyweight champion. The talk went on, and Silva dropped his fruitless timeout signal, his hands capable of stopping Forrest Griffin but not speculation on the future of a truly great fighter.

sherdog.com

dublin-lifter
08-09-2009, 08:41 AM
fuck machida when are we going to see gsp go against sliva

CallofDuty4
08-09-2009, 12:31 PM
I agree Dana does'nt want to make that fight, He seems to be protecting GSP on one hand he says that he puts fights on that people want to see, on the other hand he says "well GSP has to worry about Alves and when he cleans up the welterweight division then maybe a fight with Silva." Then Silva says he does'nt want to fight at 205 and what does dana do throws him up against forrest, and now Dana wants silva to fight Machida that fight will never happen because they are friends and training partners and Silva will never do just to throw it back at Dana, Dana has totaly disrespected Silva with all the bums thrown his was. Silva will clean out the lightheavy weight division and then will say no to Dana about a fight with Machida.....

chitownmscle
08-09-2009, 09:27 PM
I agree Dana does'nt want to make that fight, He seems to be protecting GSP on one hand he says that he puts fights on that people want to see, on the other hand he says "well GSP has to worry about Alves and when he cleans up the welterweight division then maybe a fight with Silva." Then Silva says he does'nt want to fight at 205 and what does dana do throws him up against forrest, and now Dana wants silva to fight Machida that fight will never happen because they are friends and training partners and Silva will never do just to throw it back at Dana, Dana has totaly disrespected Silva with all the bums thrown his was. Silva will clean out the lightheavy weight division and then will say no to Dana about a fight with Machida.....

Well who IS Silva going to fight? I mean besides Machida he has obliterated everyone he has fought.

firsthorseman97
08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
I actually believe we'll see Silva vs. Silva in the future. Wanderlei is making the drop to 185. Wanderlei always has a puncher's chance and I'm sure it'll sell some tickets.

-Z-
08-10-2009, 11:20 AM
I actually believe we'll see Silva vs. Silva in the future. Wanderlei is making the drop to 185. Wanderlei always has a puncher's chance and I'm sure it'll sell some tickets.

I don't think he'll be able to hit him.

firsthorseman97
08-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't think he'll be able to hit him.

:nonono:
I honestly don't think he can either but it'd be fun to watch him try!

cobra
08-11-2009, 08:33 AM
fuck machida when are we going to see gsp go against sliva

Dude, Machida is a much better opponent for Silva than GSP, sorry. I know GSP is great and all, but he would get destroyed.

-Z-
08-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Dude, Machida is a much better opponent for Silva than GSP, sorry. I know GSP is great and all, but he would get destroyed.

My thoughts exactly.

G-Roy
08-11-2009, 11:59 AM
we need an undercover smear campaign to get silva and machida angry with one another so silva will stop being such a wimp and fight his "friend."

cobra
08-11-2009, 02:46 PM
we need an undercover smear campaign to get silva and machida angry with one another so silva will stop being such a wimp and fight his "friend."

Well, I think regardless of what Silva says, Dana White is about the money. He knows what the fans want, and it'll only be a matter of time if both of these guys continue to dominate that he'll make it happen. Believe that.

firsthorseman97
08-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Depending how Shogun performs against Machida, I can see him being Silva's next 205 opponent.

cobra
08-18-2009, 12:02 PM
I think Machida will end Shogun in the 1st round. Did you see how he did Rashad?? LOL!!

firsthorseman97
08-18-2009, 01:24 PM
I think Machida will end Shogun in the 1st round. Did you see how he did Rashad?? LOL!!

I think Shogun will last longer than Evans. I say he makes it to the third round.

tornquad2
08-18-2009, 04:34 PM
i read couture want anderson at 205

firsthorseman97
08-19-2009, 09:45 AM
i read couture want anderson at 205

I heard that too. I think it'd be a huge mistake on Randy's part. He's just not fast enough to hang in the 205 class. That's why he had to jump to HW in the first place.

Plates
08-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Randy is a retard to think he could hang with Anderson Silva. Just because the ONLY....i repeat ONLY round Silva has lost in the UFC was to a wrestler, doesn't mean at 48 you can beat the baddest mother fucker on the planet.

hulkish808
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
wow Couture aged 2 extra years? LOL but i agree with the majority, AND he still has to get through Nogueria first

cobra
08-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Randy is a retard to think he could hang with Anderson Silva. Just because the ONLY....i repeat ONLY round Silva has lost in the UFC was to a wrestler, doesn't mean at 48 you can beat the baddest mother fucker on the planet.

Word.