PDA

View Full Version : This question is for nattys in this section even the ones with the sticky threads

ygbodybuilder10
08-09-2009, 11:05 AM
How much muscle can be gain in a couple weeks? 6months? a year?

Now i have heard different things when it comes to this question

some say 5lbs in a year, some say 1-3 lbs in 4-6 weeks, i know age and alot other things play a facter but , just wanna here what you guys think and whta you know based on experirence.

MsGuns
08-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I started in 2003 at 135 and now I am 150.

7_Deadly_Sins
08-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I think that 1 pound of muscle a month is not unhead of or hard to do...if you train right, eat right and rest right...it also depends how lean you stay in the off season..if you stay like some of the nattys and eat like a bird, guess how much you'll gain.
if I only got 5 pounds of muscle a year I'd quit

GENESIS
08-09-2009, 01:22 PM
i put on 60 pounds in two years.

Shadow
08-09-2009, 01:30 PM
I gain 10 pounds (more or less on some years) every year, without fail.

Team Franco
08-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Tough question as there are too many variables in play here.

Age alone will tell you the muscle gains will decrease from year to year, and then you need to look at genes, and then finally, smart training, eating, rest and so on.

I can tell you if you plan on competing yearly the gains will be a lot slower.

With that said, for first couple of years training when younger, I can see you gaining 5 to 10 pounds. Then each year after that, 2 to 4 per year if you dont compete.

But I can attest that your stage look can improve each year without gaining on the scale.

the mighty stu
08-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Obviously the longer into training you are, the slower the gains. Also, factor in if you compete or not. I didn't start competing until I had been training for 16 years, so by the time I did my 1st real diet, I had put on over 50 lbs (it's easier to allow for muscle gain when you're not freaking out over losing your abs -lol). At my present level, I'm hoping to be 3-4 lbs heavier next year (combination of smarter dieting, improves LBM from a post contest rebound, bringing up weak points...)

S

AVBG
08-09-2009, 08:18 PM
5lb per year is good gains.. IF you have been training a while (over 5 years) and if you're over the age of 30.

ygbodybuilder10
08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
5lb per year is good gains.. IF you have been training a while (over 5 years) and if you're over the age of 30.

what about a 21 year old like myself

ygbodybuilder10
08-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Obviously the longer into training you are, the slower the gains. Also, factor in if you compete or not. I didn't start competing until I had been training for 16 years, so by the time I did my 1st real diet, I had put on over 50 lbs (it's easier to allow for muscle gain when you're not freaking out over losing your abs -lol). At my present level, I'm hoping to be 3-4 lbs heavier next year (combination of smarter dieting, improves LBM from a post contest rebound, bringing up weak points...)

S

nowww when it comes to this contest rebond, does that only work when one gets to a really low body fat or does it work when one just came off of any type of low cal diet for example during mini cut/bulk cycles

AVBG
08-09-2009, 08:40 PM
what about a 21 year old like myself

you'd be thriving at 21.. 10lbs wouldn't be unreasonable provided that your cals, rest and training are right.

ygbodybuilder10
08-09-2009, 08:49 PM
you'd be thriving at 21.. 10lbs wouldn't be unreasonable provided that your cals, rest and training are right.
yeah all i need is to learn to take it easy some times , i cant stand being out of the gym.

matt1005
08-09-2009, 10:12 PM
For me and my competition weights, from 22 to my last competition last year at 27 I put on 2 to 3 pounds of solid muscle every year. Hope this helps.

AVBG
08-09-2009, 10:38 PM
yeah all i need is to learn to take it easy some times , i cant stand being out of the gym.

backing off is a hard thing to do particularly when the enthusiasm is high.. I spoke to John Hodgson (recent 2nd place in the PBW 202 class) a couple of years back when he was in Australia for the pro show and he said something in the line of "you only need to flick the switch once to turn on the light". Get in there do what you need to do in the gym then get out - or else you'll be cutting into your food and recovery time.

AVBG
08-09-2009, 10:41 PM
For me and my competition weights, from 22 to my last competition last year at 27 I put on 2 to 3 pounds of solid muscle every year. Hope this helps.

see that's a real plus for being natural.. train hard and consistency in gains no matter how small will follow.

the mighty stu
08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
nowww when it comes to this contest rebond, does that only work when one gets to a really low body fat or does it work when one just came off of any type of low cal diet for example during mini cut/bulk cycles

Well, any sort of extreme diet or training will have some sort of 'rebounding' effect. My training partner and I always liken the body to a Pendulum: swing it all the way in one direction, and it will want to go the other just as extremely. Deplete your body to an extreme level, and it will want to soak up nutrients at an accelerated pace. The more extreme you push in terms of diet, the more extreme the rebound (we're talking serious dieting here, not just "I'm not eating sweets anymore"- BS -lol).

S

ygbodybuilder10
08-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Well, any sort of extreme diet or training will have some sort of 'rebounding' effect. My training partner and I always liken the body to a Pendulum: swing it all the way in one direction, and it will want to go the other just as extremely. Deplete your body to an extreme level, and it will want to soak up nutrients at an accelerated pace. The more extreme you push in terms of diet, the more extreme the rebound (we're talking serious dieting here, not just "I'm not eating sweets anymore"- BS -lol).

S

you mean going from eating 600 carbs to only 150-200 carbs

NaturalPhysique
09-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Here is my honest experience. I have not gained any appreciable amount of muscle since the first two years I started bodybuilding.

I'm not saying I haven't made huge improvements, but as far as pure muscle size increases, I am not much different. My muscles have matured, become more dense, taken on a different quality, but not much bigger really.

I can weigh more by eating more, but all that happens is that I eventually get fatter and hard the muscle I have is hidden by fat. Maybe I'l look better in a shirt, but I don't want to be one of those dudes that looks big in a shirt and then they take the shirt off and they are a fat blob of shit.

godstrength
09-21-2009, 05:17 PM
How much muscle can be gain in a couple weeks? 6months? a year?

Now i have heard different things when it comes to this question

some say 5lbs in a year, some say 1-3 lbs in 4-6 weeks, i know age and alot other things play a facter but , just wanna here what you guys think and whta you know based on experirence.

Good question, but there is no one answer, or an easy one.

Here is my honest experience. I have not gained any appreciable amount of muscle since the first two years I started bodybuilding.

I'm not saying I haven't made huge improvements, but as far as pure muscle size increases, I am not much different. My muscles have matured, become more dense, taken on a different quality, but not much bigger really.

I can weigh more by eating more, but all that happens is that I eventually get fatter and hard the muscle I have is hidden by fat. Maybe I'l look better in a shirt, but I don't want to be one of those dudes that looks big in a shirt and then they take the shirt off and they are a fat blob of shit.

My experience is kind of the same as yours...

TO THE OP...

There is not one ( or several ) good answers here. Too many varibles. Hell, someone could write a thesis on this subject.

That said, muscle growth (naturally) for the most part is going to be slow.

Too many natty's, myself included have fallen for the bogus ad's from supplement companies claiming huge gains in a short amount of time if you use their products.
IMO too many also mistake weight gain for muscle gain- and believe me, there is a difference.

All this said, patience is the single most powerful supplement. Building solid pure muscle takes time.
It takes very-very hard work- and a steller eating plan.

Just keep banging away, you'll get there.

bodyhard
09-27-2009, 02:57 PM
You can gain at the very least 8-10lbs of muscle (LBM) in a year. The most important thing is your diet and consistency of training regardless of your age. The only time age comes into play is probably when you are over 50 and even then you can still gain 3-5lbs LBM in a year if your diet and training is in check.

TheSpirit
09-29-2009, 09:55 PM
It depends solely on how long you have been training. The longer you been training the slower the lbm gains.

Unless you are taking something.

Youngguns
03-26-2010, 04:48 PM
I think that 1 pound of muscle a month is not unhead of or hard to do...if you train right, eat right and rest right...it also depends how lean you stay in the off season..if you stay like some of the nattys and eat like a bird, guess how much you'll gain.
if I only got 5 pounds of muscle a year I'd quit
If I gained 5 pounds of muscle per year I'd be absolutely thrilled. I started at 135 5'8'' and after this cut I expect to be around 165, that's 30lbs of lean body mass in almost 5 years. And remember, I started of as starvin' marvin, people who have some mass to begin with will have less gains.

i put on 60 pounds in two years.
possible 20lbs of muscle if you started small.

I gain 10 pounds (more or less on some years) every year, without fail.How many years have you been lifting? Make it to 10 years and you'll have gained 100lbs of solid muscle! :hypno:

I'd say that's possible for someone who's 6 feet tall and little muscles who trains and eats perfectly.

This sounds more realistic.

see that's a real plus for being natural.. train hard and consistency in gains no matter how small will follow.
Pardon? That's a real plus for being natural? What do you mean by that?

Good question, but there is no one answer, or an easy one.

My experience is kind of the same as yours...

TO THE OP...

There is not one ( or several ) good answers here. Too many varibles. Hell, someone could write a thesis on this subject.

That said, muscle growth (naturally) for the most part is going to be slow.

Too many natty's, myself included have fallen for the bogus ad's from supplement companies claiming huge gains in a short amount of time if you use their products.
IMO too many also mistake weight gain for muscle gain- and believe me, there is a difference.

All this said, patience is the single most powerful supplement. Building solid pure muscle takes time.
It takes very-very hard work- and a steller eating plan.

Just keep banging away, you'll get there.

You can gain at the very least 8-10lbs of muscle (LBM) in a year. The most important thing is your diet and consistency of training regardless of your age. The only time age comes into play is probably when you are over 50 and even then you can still gain 3-5lbs LBM in a year if your diet and training is in check.
Haven't you been lifting for 10 years? So you're up 80-100lbs?

It depends solely on how long you have been training. The longer you been training the slower the lbm gains.

Unless you are taking something.
Training, diet, start point, duration, genetics.

GENESIS
03-26-2010, 05:07 PM
possible 20lbs of muscle if you started small.

when i first touched a weight, freshman year, i was at 112. By junior year, i was a solid 173. same times of the year as well. it was wrestling season weigh-ins

AVBG
03-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Youngguns, what meant is if you cover your bases and do what's consistently required the gains will come. Many enhanced competitors lack consistency if they're not on.. If their gear is ugl and bunk they may get nothing from their training and in some cases end up losing total interest. I'd prefer to get a little consistently over a longer time than nothing and losing interest in the training.

J Franco
03-26-2010, 08:15 PM
I think the problem with some of these answers is the fact people gaining muscle and fat are thinking they gained all muscle.

One of the more accurate ways of figuring this out is to diet down every once in a while and the body will give you the picture of how much muscle you have gained, and then look at the scale.

I now for a fact some of the top natty pro's dont gain more than 2 pounds per year!!!! And some dont really gain any.

Lets not count the first year you touched a weight or reached puberty, because at that time you were going to gain muscle regardless.

bodyhard
03-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Haven't you been lifting for 10 years? So you're up 80-100lbs?

YG I think I should have been more specific with my answer. What I meant was, a young healthy male can expect to gain 8-10lbs of muscle in a year, but like everything else you will start to see less and less of it. As I continued to train I was happy to gain anywhere from 1-3lbs a year.

A healthy older man, late 30's early 40's can also expect to gain, but not 8-10lbs a year, maybe 3-5lbs his first year

I started at or around 108lbs and reach 200lbs over several years.

IL WNBF Pro
03-26-2010, 09:44 PM

I will contest your claim of 3 - 5lb per year. Younger guys...yeah....but show me someone who has been competing for 15+ years and each year comes in 3 - 5lbs heavier.

Edit: I saw you revised your answer....but still 1 - 3lbs a year is VERY good....I still dont see someone getting the higher end consistently.

bodyhard
03-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Edit: I saw you revised your answer....but still 1 - 3lbs a year is VERY good....I still dont see someone getting the higher end consistently.

OK just to clear this up, we are strictly talking about natties correct?

Youngguns
03-27-2010, 12:15 PM
when i first touched a weight, freshman year, i was at 112. By junior year, i was a solid 173. same times of the year as well. it was wrestling season weigh-ins
Purberty, how much height did you grow?

YG I think I should have been more specific with my answer. What I meant was, a young healthy male can expect to gain 8-10lbs of muscle in a year, but like everything else you will start to see less and less of it. As I continued to train I was happy to gain anywhere from 1-3lbs a year.

A healthy older man, late 30's early 40's can also expect to gain, but not 8-10lbs a year, maybe 3-5lbs his first year

I started at or around 108lbs and reach 200lbs over several years.
108lbs? What was life like as a squirrel?

Shadow
03-27-2010, 10:43 PM
How many years have you been lifting? Make it to 10 years and you'll have gained 100lbs of solid muscle! :hypno:

Five years. Started at 151 pounds, now up to 205.

thesamewords
03-27-2010, 10:57 PM
pics

thesamewords
03-27-2010, 10:57 PM
now

bodyhard
03-30-2010, 03:45 PM
108lbs? What was life like as a squirrel?

LMFAO!!!! Horrible trust me, you don't go around the streets of the South Bronx without fighting, so I got my ass to training. Because I am an ecto, the weight was very difficult for me to put on especially since when I started I had no fucking idea what the fuck I was doing.

Jason Newman
03-30-2010, 04:51 PM

i hear ya man im 23 and have the same problem, i love lifting weights more than bodybuilding itself so that is a porblem in itself,

i found sleeping more if possible im talking like 10hrs a night really helped because i dont have ahuge appetite, try it and then switch to more whole food if you can

rex
04-16-2010, 06:06 PM
I dont know if you have already seen this or not, but this article is a pretty good reference to your question.

<a href=:"http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html>Lyle Mcdonald article</a>

metallideth
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
i have a question. if your lifts continue to increase consistently over a period of time is that a good indicator of muscle growth?

turkish1530
05-15-2010, 02:47 AM
I think that there are too many factors that play into how much muscle a specific person could gain. I realize that there a limits on how much muscle a natural bodybuilder can put on but at the same time I try not to think that huge muscle gains aren't impossible with the correct offseason regime and time.