PDA

View Full Version : props to all you strongmen!!!

gman
08-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Went down to Brute Strength Gym yesterday and watched the strongman competition. I was amazed at the minimum weights that one had to lift just to participate...here is the competition layout:

Log: clean once, press for reps: Men <=231 had to use 220lbs. Men over 231 had to use 260lbs.

Strike one, I could not do it once I am sure!

Axle deadlift for reps(axle looked to be 3 inches in diameter): Men <=231 lbs had to do 450lbs, men over 231 had to do 500lbs

Strike 2: can't even deadlift 450 on an oly bar once, much less an axle!

Timed Medley of Farmer Walk, Tire Flip and Power Stairs (lifting a bunch of weight stacked vertically with a T handle up a set of 4 stairs about 2 1/2 feet each): Men 231 and under had to farmer walk 250lbs about 20 yards, flip a 700lb tire 3 times, and lift 280lbs up the power stairs. Men over 231 had to use 280lbs for the farmer walk, 700lb for the tire, but flip it 4 times, and lift 350lbs up the power stairs.

this event was timed,fastest guy did it in 29 seconds! There was a time limit and many men did not make it in time...worked their ass off only to be told "time's up!"

I believe the farmer walk weight was the amount in each hand, but not sure.

Strike 3, no explanation needed!

Conan's wheel (lift weight of floor using crook of your arms and walk two circles): men under 231 used 550lbs, men over 231 used 700 lbs

Strike 4, no explanation why needed!

Atlas Stones: men under 231 did stones of 225-325 lbs, men over 231lbs used 250-350lb stones

Strike 5: I think I tried to lift a 150lb atlas stone to my shoulder once, but failed!

Damn it was fun to watch, makes me want to try it...shit, I couldn't even do a single thing listed above for even 1 rep though! lol

I also saw the largest leg press I have ever seen in that gym, each leg platform was the size of a regular leg lift.

BrotherIron
08-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Now you have something to work towards. Start implementing the lifts on the weekend and slowly incorporate more into your routine. You never know, one day someone could watch you competing in a meet.

tjoe
08-09-2009, 08:41 PM
watch my vids in my thread! I just competed in the MA State Championships this weekend... 7th place. It was a good time though.

gman
08-09-2009, 08:47 PM
I am not sure about being a strongman, but it sure looks like a fun time!

It came across to me as a fun loving, bunch of men and women who really were competing against themselves, not each other...they all were encouraging each other during their lifts, and giving each other shit in between events like a bunch of frat brothers.

I thought to myself that bodybuilding in the early 60's must have been a lot like this.

I am so tempted to train at that gym, but I am not sure they would let a bodybuilder in!

BrotherIron
08-09-2009, 08:54 PM

It came across to me as a fun loving, bunch of men and women who really were competing against themselves, not each other...they all were encouraging each other during their lifts, and giving each other shit in between events like a bunch of frat brothers.

I thought to myself that bodybuilding in the early 60's must have been a lot like this.

I am so tempted to train at that gym, but I am not sure they would let a bodybuilder in!

You'll find that in all strength sports; PLing, SM, and Oly Lifting. It's a different group of people and I for one love it. The comradery is like no other. Everyone wants everyone to succeed, no back stabbing, no bs politics, no negativity which is so commonly found in bodybuilding.

As for training there, why wouldn't they let you? We have 3 IFBB Pros who train at Coffee's and no one has a problem with them being there. So if you like the gym than I say join and train there. Just don't be cocky, arrogant, or egotistical and you'll be fine.

robert da strongman
08-09-2009, 08:54 PM

you will never know if you dont try.

gman
08-09-2009, 08:55 PM
BTW, this gym is awesome...if you are ever in Va Beach or Norfolk, you have got to go to it.

The competition was held inside, if that gives you an idea of how big the gym is.

www.brutestrengthgym.net

gman
08-09-2009, 08:58 PM
You'll find that in all strength sports; PLing, SM, and Oly Lifting. It's a different group of people and I for one love it. The comradery is like no other. Everyone wants everyone to succeed, no back stabbing, no bs politics, no negativity which is so commonly found in bodybuilding.

As for training there, why wouldn't they let you? We have 3 IFBB Pros who train at Coffee's and no one has a problem with them being there. So if you like the gym than I say join and train there. Just don't be cocky, arrogant, or egotistical and you'll be fine.

It is a great gym, I am sure I could train there...I went once and joked with the lady that I was a bodybuilder, and she gave me some good natured shit! lol

It is a bargain at $30 a month.

you will never know if you dont try.

I know, Robert, I want to succeed at getting lean once in my life, then I might make the switch... I probably should just give up, I think I am built more for strongman, but I just want to get to 10% bf one time in my life!

gman
08-09-2009, 09:15 PM
I liked the fact that some 201-231lbs was classified as a "lightweight". I feel lean all of a sudden