PDA

View Full Version : Plantar fasciitis

MIKE
02-09-2009, 06:41 AM
This is a great part of the forum! Exactly what I was needing right now. I have been diagnosed with early stage Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot. Its one spot exactly where the flat part of my heel begins coming from the arch in my foot directly in the middle, its hurts all day long. Other than rolling my foot over a tennis ball (which hurts like hell btw) what else will make this go away? Thanks a lot!

dcastro
02-10-2009, 05:11 PM
mike, this is a truly aggravating injury/condition. Aside from the tennis ball, you want to avoid walking around barefoot(always have on some support, even if just sandal), epson salt bath for inflammation, active release therapy(activerelease.com)and perhaps an orthotic of some sort.

Bryan Hildebrand
02-10-2009, 06:35 PM
have it injected. trust me. battled both of mine for months and months when I was competing and weighing 350-360lbs. I had both injected and was pain free the following day. the injection hurts like holy hell, but well worth it.

Dee
02-10-2009, 08:39 PM
See a podiatrist and get fitted for some Orthotic insoles for your shoes......They will be made to support the arch of your foot.
To put it simply, your foot is too flat.....that combined with an incorrect walk/run mechanic can stress the tendons in your foot....and insole while supports that arch will relieve the pain (thats why rolling the tennis ball under ur foot along the arch feels good),and eventually help strengthen the arch.

I had the same problem, walking was very painful.......about 4 years ago, got fitted for orthotics, wore them for about 6 months....pain went away, and i dont really wear them everyday....i wear them in the shoes i wear to the gym on leg day tho....makes a difference, big difference in stability when squating.....

Hope that helps

french tips
02-12-2009, 02:24 PM
I have been an active runner for the passed year, and just recently have been induring some pain on the top part of my foot. Would this be considered plantar fascitis.?

Bryan Hildebrand
02-12-2009, 04:18 PM
no, PF is where the gastro/soleus insertions connect to the underside of the calcaneus (heal) bone.

toddbz
02-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Not necessarily where the pain is but ONE cause of P.F. is tight calves/soleus. Remember that all of that stuff is connected in some way or another. So along with dealing directly with the foot, stretch and massage the calves.
because once you get this in it's severe state it's a bugger to get rid of.

towtheline
02-13-2009, 10:35 PM
ART is great for PF. Another thing is to roll a frozen golf ball under your foot both along the length and against or perpendicular to the tendons. Do this for 15 minutes every night. Acupuncture hurts bad, but helped me out to almost normal. Good luck, as PF can be a long road to normalcy.

usafdino
02-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Try this first: Freeze some water in a small paper dixie cup and tear off the bottom of the cup and rub it over the painful area for 5-7 mins. Its called an ice massage. If you can try this 2-3 times a day along with the tennis ball thing but, if you cant ice that much do it after you get home from work. If that doesnt work try and get some OTC orthotics (arch supports). If that doesnt help try to get some CUSTOM foot orthotics. You usually need to see a podiatrist for a referral to a orthotic lab. Hope that helps, if you need some more specifics on this PM me, I am an Orthotist in the Air Force.

magnus68
02-24-2009, 05:46 AM
does anyone else with plantar wear orthotics....AND it makes your back hurt. or is it just me

magnus

Scoobysnacks
02-24-2009, 11:36 AM
I suffered for years, flat footed soccer player.

I got a trigger point therapy workbook and worked out the knots in my calves, which helped a ton.

I also have orthotics.

I got the injections, but it never helped, but it hurt a ton to walk for a few days. You need to treat the underlying issue, not mask it with cortizone.

Ss

toddbz
02-24-2009, 04:10 PM
does anyone else with plantar wear orthotics....AND it makes your back hurt. or is it just me

magnus

How long have you been wearing the orthotics?
If it's been a short time then perhaps it's just from your body getting used to the 'proper' position.
I've also found that some orthotics are very aggressive and make you feel like the bottom of your feet have been beaten with a stick at the end of the day. For my all day/everyday use ones I went to a running specific store and got these ones that are heat moldable. They havethe arch in them already, but you stick them in the oven for a few minutes, put em in your shoes and the comform to the shape of your foot. $40 and so comfortable. No more sore feet

But like Scooby said you have to treat the realy issue to find any relief with this. Rubbing you feet won't make it go away in most cases