PDA

View Full Version : Alcoholics: Recovery and fitness

BigAl33
02-21-2009, 12:11 PM
I started a similar thread on BB.com and it has been very well recieved. So, I figured I'd start one here as well.

I am a recovering alcoholic and I am just over 3 months sober. I have been using AA and the gym as my therapy. It is hard at times but I am doing very good. I hope this thread gains some steam and we get our own "meeting" going here.

Good luck to all!! and KEEP COMIN BACK!!

Sistersteel
02-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Welcome BigAl and thank you for sharing. Keep coming back buddy.

BigAl33
02-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks Sister!!! ;)

Bubba Bronko
02-22-2009, 12:27 AM
Its a long tough and shitty time with way to many lows. but once you get sober you see things better and with a clear mind...but in the back of your mind it sits silently waiting for you 2 fall...its tough but not impossible...its relearning to live

BigAl33
02-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Its a long tough and shitty time with way to many lows. but once you get sober you see things better and with a clear mind...but in the back of your mind it sits silently waiting for you 2 fall...its tough but not impossible...its relearning to live

It sure is. Slowly Im regaining my sanity!! Thanks for stoppin.

Bubba Bronko
02-22-2009, 08:44 PM
It comes back. I know what will happen if I take a drink I know the out come I know how I will feel so its not worth it. All of us who are sober it took work to get in this state of mind and to feel sane

Sistersteel
02-22-2009, 09:24 PM
It comes back. I know what will happen if I take a drink I know the out come I know how I will feel so its not worth it. All of us who are sober it took work to get in this state of mind and to feel sane

Amen to that brother.

DECABEATZ
02-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Welcome everybody clean since 6-8-08 it aint easy thats for sure.

BigAl33
02-23-2009, 12:46 AM

You know it. Everyday is a challenge!! But it is one we can overcome

Welcome Decabaetz!!!!!!:cool:

Sistersteel
02-23-2009, 01:03 AM

Good to have you with us DECABEATZ. Welcome home brother.

BigAl33
02-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Hows everyone doing? Having a good 1st part of the week I trust.:o

Sistersteel
02-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Hows everyone doing? Having a good 1st part of the week I trust.:o

Hey BigAl
Its been rough. My doctor gave me some ADHD medication that messed me all up for a few days. It brought back feelings that I had not had in a while. Reminded me of how fucked up I really am. Can't even take meds for a useful purpose like everyone else anymore.

Even after 5 years of sobriety, the mind never forgets certain feelings. That's why they say if you pick up, you pick up right where you left off and it gets a whole lot worse.

I sure do have another relapse in me but I don't have another recovery, so I gotta work at it every day. Life will throw shit your way to test your faith and your strength.

Just for today--------I was sober!

BigAl33
02-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey BigAl
Its been rough. My doctor gave me some ADHD medication that messed me all up for a few days. It brought back feelings that I had not had in a while. Reminded me of how fucked up I really am. Can't even take meds for a useful purpose like everyone else anymore.

Even after 5 years of sobriety, the mind never forgets certain feelings. That's why they say if you pick up, you pick up right where you left off and it gets a whole lot worse.

I sure do have another relapse in me but I don't have another recovery, so I gotta work at it every day. Life will throw shit your way to test your faith and your strength.

Just for today--------I was sober!

Well, I'm here if you need to let it out. Of course this is'nt like the real thing but would do in a pinch. Stay strong and know that there are people in your corner. I too am sober today, so its a beautiful thing.........

Sistersteel
02-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Well, I'm here if you need to let it out. Of course this is'nt like the real thing but would do in a pinch. Stay strong and know that there are people in your corner. I too am sober today, so its a beautiful thing.........

Yes it is my brother :) Its a beautiful thing :)

Bubba Bronko
02-27-2009, 12:06 AM
My grandfather has been sober for 20+yrs and to this day he still gets cravings for it...they will always be there...but YOU know what happens if you take that sip...because there is always another that follows

Bubba Bronko
02-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Everyday I get to see the sun rise with a clear mind is a beautiful day. To wake up and have purpose feels good...

Bubba Bronko
02-27-2009, 12:08 AM

Welcome buddy! Nothing is easy...but a little strength and determination goes a long way...Hows it feel to have a clear mind?

BigAl33
02-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Hope everybody has a great and SOBER weekend!!!

AUXeSIS
02-28-2009, 08:11 PM
At my first meeting, the old lady sitting next to me asked "Are you having problems accepting the fact there is a higher power?" I replied "No, but I'm finding it hard to accept that it's a power higher than me". LOL. That kinda tells you where I was coming from...

I went to meetings regularly for the first 12 mths - only once a week, but I found it a huge help. I don't go these days, probably cause I don't feel the need to drink, the compulsion left me pretty quickly. I haven't drank since my first meeting and my new BB'ing lifestyle keeps me in check. Although I drank for 20 years since early teenage years, it was pretty easy to give it away. Sometimes I think we all get our quota and I had used mine up - either way it pretty much fucked me over, so I am happy to admit I am an alcoholic, who was morally, spritually, physically, and financially bankrupt.

At those first meetings they talked about "insanity" and stuff. Step 2 is: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. At first I was like "...heck I'm not mad, what are these guys talking about?". Then someone told me a definition of madness was "doing the same thing again and again but expecting a different result". I began thinking.... How many times did I go out for 1 or 2 drinks and end up getting smashed? How many times did I stick to beer and still get wasted? How many times did I not drink until late into the party but still wake up with a rotten hang over? How many times did I drive my car to make sure I didn't drink too much - but then drunk drove home? How many times did I say I would be home by midnight but came stumbling thru the door at 6.00am??? I kept drinking and expecting a different result - thats the insanity.

I promise myself that if I am ever close to drinking again then I will go to a meeting before I go to a bar. Just knowing a meeting is there if I want it gives me a good feeling. I used to drink cause I thought it made me bigger, tougher, stronger, sexier, more attractive, etc, LOL. But it did the exact OPPOSITE! 2 and 1/2 years of BB'ing later I'm pretty sure I am getting closer to those things without the booze. In fact, everything I looked for in Alcohol, I've found in Sobriety!

I used to drink to escape my problems, in sobriety I discovered I don't really have any problems :) . When I was drinking nothing and nobody could make me stop drinking. Now that I have stopped, nothing and nobody can make me start! I'm a pig headed, stubborn son of a bitch - I gotta use it to my advantge sometimes!!! If I ever have moments of temptation I just say to myself "not today, maybe tomorrow but not today" and the next day I wake up on a high, so glad I didn't give in, the feeling I get is like a small reward for taking care of myself - hard to explain the feeling of self satisfaction.

Sober today.... if I don't have the 1st drink, there won't be a 21st drink :) .

Nice to be here, thanks for letting me share.

BigAl33
03-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Welcome!! Great post thanks for sharing. You sure hit the nail on the head with everything. Not today, maybe tommarow, but not today... KCB!!

Sistersteel
03-01-2009, 06:06 PM
At my first meeting, the old lady sitting next to me asked "Are you having problems accepting the fact there is a higher power?" I replied "No, but I'm finding it hard to accept that it's a power higher than me". LOL. That kinda tells you where I was coming from...

I went to meetings regularly for the first 12 mths - only once a week, but I found it a huge help. I don't go these days, probably cause I don't feel the need to drink, the compulsion left me pretty quickly. I haven't drank since my first meeting and my new BB'ing lifestyle keeps me in check. Although I drank for 20 years since early teenage years, it was pretty easy to give it away. Sometimes I think we all get our quota and I had used mine up - either way it pretty much fucked me over, so I am happy to admit I am an alcoholic, who was morally, spritually, physically, and financially bankrupt.

At those first meetings they talked about "insanity" and stuff. Step 2 is: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. At first I was like "...heck I'm not mad, what are these guys talking about?". Then someone told me a definition of madness was "doing the same thing again and again but expecting a different result". I began thinking.... How many times did I go out for 1 or 2 drinks and end up getting smashed? How many times did I stick to beer and still get wasted? How many times did I not drink until late into the party but still wake up with a rotten hang over? How many times did I drive my car to make sure I didn't drink too much - but then drunk drove home? How many times did I say I would be home by midnight but came stumbling thru the door at 6.00am??? I kept drinking and expecting a different result - thats the insanity.

I promise myself that if I am ever close to drinking again then I will go to a meeting before I go to a bar. Just knowing a meeting is there if I want it gives me a good feeling. I used to drink cause I thought it made me bigger, tougher, stronger, sexier, more attractive, etc, LOL. But it did the exact OPPOSITE! 2 and 1/2 years of BB'ing later I'm pretty sure I am getting closer to those things without the booze. In fact, everything I looked for in Alcohol, I've found in Sobriety!

I used to drink to escape my problems, in sobriety I discovered I don't really have any problems :) . When I was drinking nothing and nobody could make me stop drinking. Now that I have stopped, nothing and nobody can make me start! I'm a pig headed, stubborn son of a bitch - I gotta use it to my advantge sometimes!!! If I ever have moments of temptation I just say to myself "not today, maybe tomorrow but not today" and the next day I wake up on a high, so glad I didn't give in, the feeling I get is like a small reward for taking care of myself - hard to explain the feeling of self satisfaction.

Sober today.... if I don't have the 1st drink, there won't be a 21st drink :) .

Nice to be here, thanks for letting me share.

That was GREAT! Such optimism in this post. You are in a great place my friend. So you keep coming back and share some of that positivity! :)

Welcome and thank you for sharing.

DECABEATZ
03-01-2009, 06:27 PM
"keep coming back" together we can do this!!!

AUXeSIS
03-01-2009, 07:21 PM
The best is yet to come!

BigAl33
03-04-2009, 11:52 PM
SUre IS!!!

Hope everyone is having a good week!! :eek:

Sistersteel
03-05-2009, 12:00 AM
SUre IS!!!

Hope everyone is having a good week!! :eek:

Getting through it! Its Thursday!

BigAl33
03-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Hope everybody had a sober weekend. I did....... WORD UP!!

Sistersteel
03-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Hope everybody had a sober weekend. I did....... WORD UP!!

Amen brother. On my way to a meeting right now. Have a blessed week.

BigAl33
03-10-2009, 09:51 PM
You too SS....

Hows everybody doing out there in "Alcoholic Land?" Anyone having any problems they would like to discuss?

Sistersteel
03-10-2009, 11:47 PM
You too SS....

Hows everybody doing out there in "Alcoholic Land?" Anyone having any problems they would like to discuss?

BigAl, I've noticed tons of activity in these threads. I can understand it being hard for some people to share, so do not let that discourage you from posting up and letting us all know how you are feeling on any given day. I will do the same. Believe me folks are reading.

I had a good day. I had to take a drive into a rough part of town today and it brought back some memories and stirred up some dormant feelings. You know that street you've driven down so many times when you were up to no good? Reminds me how I need to always keep people, places and things in check. I drove past my old hangout and my mind was quick to play tricks on me. But I got a sobriety ring around my finger with the date I cleaned up and the serenity prayer engraved on the inside of it. I held on to that feeling until I got home. Then I went to a meeting.

Just for today.... I got a second chance and makin the best of it.

Respect,

SS

Sistersteel
03-11-2009, 01:06 AM
This is a great thread! I hope more chime in!...I have a story to tell. It feels good not to be alone in this!

Lisa
Welcome to the forums. I for one, would love to hear your story. Sharing our experiences is a vital part of our recovery. We need each other and draw our strength from each other's experiences.

It is not easy for many people to share. But believe me tons of people are stopping by and finding inspiration in our stories. I know because they PM me to show their gratitude.

So please do not let the lack of posts discourage you from sharing.

I am ready when you are.

Keep coming back.

SS

BigAl33
03-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Just for today.... I got a second chance and makin the best of it.

Respect,

SS

Great Job Sis. I know what you mean. My wife's sisters house is right around the corner and that was a big spot for me. Thats where alot of my nights would start. But I still have to go there, its getting easier, but its still difficult at times.

Again, great job and that ring sounds cool.... I should look into getting something like that.

Welcome Lisa, Keep Comin' Back!!!!

BigAl33
03-13-2009, 12:21 AM
I guess thats what its about. Support. A supporting word can be a life saver. Hope everyone is well and training hard. KCB

STEELERJ-XL
03-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Hello, my name is Jay and im an Alcoholic. My sobriety date is July 16th 2006. I grew up in an Alcoholic home and at 15, I began my life of drunkeness. I just wanted to be an adult and thats what all the adults in my life did. I just didnt want to be an abusive adult and I was gonna do it right. I was a managable drunk untill I recieved a call from my Mom saying she had cancer, 6 months later she was gone.....she was 46. That was May 3rd 2005. I stayed drunk everyday 20 beers a day, whiskey everyday. Wake up go to work, come home, Drink, Passout, wake up and do it again. I was a sick 170 & I was dieing. I have 2 kids and when I tell you that I love my kids more than this breath I breath, I mean that. I was dying and all I could think about anymore were my kids not having there Daddy here to protect them and love them. I didnt love myself enough to quit but I loved my 2 kids enough to. And my love for them is my strength. There why im here today.

Sistersteel
03-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Hello, my name is Jay and im an Alcoholic. My sobriety date is July 16th 2006. I grew up in an Alcoholic home and at 15, I began my life of drunkeness. I just wanted to be an adult and thats what all the adults in my life did. I just didnt want to be an abusive adult and I was gonna do it right. I was a managable drunk untill I recieved a call from my Mom saying she had cancer, 6 months later she was gone.....she was 46. That was May 3rd 2005. I stayed drunk everyday 20 beers a day, whiskey everyday. Wake up go to work, come home, Drink, Passout, wake up and do it again. I was a sick 170 & I was dieing. I have 2 kids and when I tell you that I love my kids more than this breath I breath, I mean that. I was dying and all I could think about anymore were my kids not having there Daddy here to protect them and love them. I didnt love myself enough to quit but I loved my 2 kids enough to. And my love for them is my strength. There why im here today.

This is the best part of my day, welcoming someone new to the family.
Thank you for sharing STEELER.

Keep coming back!

natron
03-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Wow!

AUXeSIS
03-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Welcome everyone... looks like we got something happening here!

Sober today.

Sistersteel
03-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Welcome everyone... looks like we got something happening here!

Sober today.

I am hoping more folks will come out of the shadows eventually.
I am optimistic.

Just for today...

BigAl33
03-14-2009, 11:51 AM

Great Job man!! I was wondering though, do you love yourself enough now? I hope so. You have to love and respect yourself before you can give everything you have back to others. I guess I just answerd my ?. You must because you love your kids so much.

Sometimes I wonder about being powerless. When we are powerless over something, we should realize it and let it play out. What if that is about your kids. How can you say, we'll I am powerless so thats that. I can't do that when it comes to my kids....

BigAl33
03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Happy St. Pattys Day. Safe and SOBER!!!! :p

DaveV
03-17-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm an alcoholic. Haven't drank for about a month (before that was a few months) so only one slip up. Was drinking pretty much all day, every day for about 6 years. I don't do AA because I don't need to reminisce about all the good times I had. I workout now instead of going drinking. I like it much better.

Tough today though being St. Patrick's day. I already feel like a drink.

BigAl33
03-18-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm an alcoholic. Haven't drank for about a month (before that was a few months) so only one slip up. Was drinking pretty much all day, every day for about 6 years. I don't do AA because I don't need to reminisce about all the good times I had. I workout now instead of going drinking. I like it much better.

Tough today though being St. Patrick's day. I already feel like a drink.

Hope you made it through man. thats the good thing about AA, when you feel liike a drink, you can go to a meeting, or call someone up. I had to do both on Saturday....

3/17= 120 days sober...............

DaveV
03-18-2009, 01:54 AM
I didn't drink. I had a protein shake and went to bed early.

Sistersteel
03-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Hope everyone had a dry St Patt's day!

BigAl33
03-19-2009, 12:11 AM

Sure did. It was my 120 day anniversary. Went to my home group then to work.

Bubba Bronko
03-19-2009, 12:29 AM

Wasnt easy but made it. St. Patricks day just happens to be my birthday and its been a year since I made the choice to drive drunk and feel asleep and well lets say my car was beaten to hell and back. But Im alive to see another beautiful day....hope everyone is staying strong...remember your not the only one having a rough time we are all going through this together in some odd way...

Sistersteel
03-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Wasnt easy but made it. St. Patricks day just happens to be my birthday and its been a year since I made the choice to drive drunk and feel asleep and well lets say my car was beaten to hell and back. But Im alive to see another beautiful day....hope everyone is staying strong...remember your not the only one having a rough time we are all going through this together in some odd way...

It does make life far more bearable knowing there are people out there going through the same thing. Happy birthday buddy! Glad to have you here with us. Keep coming back.

SS

DaveV
03-19-2009, 03:49 AM
I just wanted to say that my first post in this thread might have made me come off as a dick. I respect AA and support groups but they aren't for me. For me to stay sober I need my mind off of alcohol. No reminiscing, no discussion. I hated who I was when I drank. Now I love myself very much and have been doing great. I had to sacrifice a lot. I can't listen heavy metal anymore without thinking about drinking, I can't play guitar anymore without thinking about it, I can't go to bars to watch UFC because the tempation to drink is too much. I consider those small sacrifices though. I have learned to like new things.

AUXeSIS
03-19-2009, 08:41 AM

Stay strong BigAl... after my first 120 days I thought it would be such a waste to go back, and that resolve continues to strengthen - a day at time.

The best is yet to come.

Well done.

BigAl33
03-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Stay strong BigAl... after my first 120 days I thought it would be such a waste to go back, and that resolve continues to strengthen - a day at time.

The best is yet to come.

Well done.

Thanks. The BEST is yet to come. Especially the best BIG AL EVER!! Appreciate the support. KCB!!:cool:

fitcorps
03-19-2009, 09:11 AM
I started a similar thread on BB.com and it has been very well recieved. So, I figured I'd start one here as well.

I am a recovering alcoholic and I am just over 3 months sober. I have been using AA and the gym as my therapy. It is hard at times but I am doing very good. I hope this thread gains some steam and we get our own "meeting" going here.

Good luck to all!! and KEEP COMIN BACK!!

AWESOME Al! I'm going to try to follow this bro. My father is a recovering alcoholic...19 years. My best friend's father is also a recovering alcoholic (just hit 20 or 30 years of soberity). GOOD LUCK!

Finding refuge in something healthy is the best way to go. It's a long hard road. I tell you what, i have more respect for what recovering addicts go through than almost anything else. Good luck my friend and may God be with you!

Bubba Bronko
03-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Stay strong brosef its another beautiful day out yall well at least here in ohio. The sun is shining feels good to have a clean mind and the gift of vision to see the world around me with a clear head....have he best day ever

msfit
03-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey all, I'm Phyllis and I am an alcoholic/addict. I've been sober since 10/23/87 (21 years). It was the best thing I've ever done. The good times are usually the toughest for me, don't know why that is but it's when the urge creeps in ... I've stayed sober by never letting myself forget that it is what I do when no one is looking that matters most, because I WILL SEE and that's what matters. I know I have another drunk in me but I'm not so sure I have another "sober" so for today, I'll keep this one!!! Have a good day all!

BigAl33
03-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Hey all, I'm Phyllis and I am an alcoholic/addict. I've been sober since 10/23/87 (21 years). It was the best thing I've ever done. The good times are usually the toughest for me, don't know why that is but it's when the urge creeps in ... I've stayed sober by never letting myself forget that it is what I do when no one is looking that matters most, because I WILL SEE and that's what matters. I know I have another drunk in me but I'm not so sure I have another "sober" so for today, I'll keep this one!!! Have a good day all!

Hi Phyliss amd welcome. As long as you save that drunk for tommarow you'll be all right!! KCB

msfit
03-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Hi Phyliss amd welcome. As long as you save that drunk for tommarow you'll be all right!! KCB
Yeah putting it off until tomorrow has worked very well!!! I would hate to have another blackout, and I was really good at those. Those "did I have fun" days are not FUN!:o

Bubba Bronko
03-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Question to all....since we are all living in a clean state of mind & drinking doesnt consume our time anymore what does consume your time besides lifting/work/eatting/sleep...what do all of you do for a social life & all that fun stuff?

BigAl33
03-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Question to all....since we are all living in a clean state of mind & drinking doesnt consume our time anymore what does consume your time besides lifting/work/eatting/sleep...what do all of you do for a social life & all that fun stuff?

CAN YOU SAY KIDS!!!! Seriously, I have'nt really been doing to much the past 4 months, but summer is a comin' thats will be good and bad, I tended to drink alot more often in the summer months....

Sistersteel
03-20-2009, 07:29 PM

I try to spend lots of time with my family, especially my husband. I am always working my schedule around his so that we do just about everything together. I also like to read, paint and play music in my free time.

BigAl33
03-20-2009, 09:44 PM
I try to spend lots of time with my family, especially my husband. I am always working my schedule around his so that we do just about everything together. I also like to read, paint and play music in my free time.

Good deal!! Family is the way to go for sure.... What instrument do you play?

Big Sky Guy
03-20-2009, 11:27 PM
As stated, gym 3-5 days a week, a couple meetings, church, and for the past ~8 years I have coached my daughter's softball team and/or my son's soccer team. As a family we hike, bike, camp, fish, hunt, hang with friends at the lake or a cabin...we basically do whatever God lays out before us to do.

My wife teaches Photog and Applied Desing at the HS level and also has a photography business on the side so that keeps us socially engaged, meeting and making new friends through work we do and associations we belong to.

I would like to do a PL meet in our state in order to get to know more of the PL community!

Bubba Bronko
03-21-2009, 12:04 AM
oh well see i dont have a wife nor kids just lil ole me....music is my outlet through playing going to shows listening dont matter

cgp10
03-21-2009, 06:14 AM
I just discovered this section. This is great. Can we make an introduction thread in this section so we can get to know everyone?

msfit
03-21-2009, 08:18 AM
I keep busy going to the local high school ball games. Hated school when I was in it but really enjoy being around the kids. They look at me and my life style and really seem to look up to me. I don't get it, but think a lot of them have drug and alcohol issues at home, aren't taught nutrition and exercise and they seem to like how it looks on me. I think they find me an anomaly.
I do find now that I am clean and sober, I really enjoy my time alone. I like my own company, that was NOT HAPPENING when I was using.

Bubba Bronko
03-21-2009, 08:53 AM
I just discovered this section. This is great. Can we make an introduction thread in this section so we can get to know everyone?

Go right on ahead and introduce yourself kind sir :wavey:

BigAl33
03-21-2009, 08:53 AM
AWESOME Al! I'm going to try to follow this bro. My father is a recovering alcoholic...19 years. My best friend's father is also a recovering alcoholic (just hit 20 or 30 years of soberity). GOOD LUCK!

Finding refuge in something healthy is the best way to go. It's a long hard road. I tell you what, i have more respect for what recovering addicts go through than almost anything else. Good luck my friend and may God be with you!

The healtheir the better!! Welcome my friend....

Welcome. and sure. Al, Alcoholic.

AUXeSIS
03-21-2009, 09:20 AM

YEP, DO IT HERE! :wavey:

STEELERJ-XL
03-21-2009, 10:30 AM
I just wanted to say that my first post in this thread might have made me come off as a dick. I respect AA and support groups but they aren't for me. For me to stay sober I need my mind off of alcohol. No reminiscing, no discussion. I hated who I was when I drank. Now I love myself very much and have been doing great. I had to sacrifice a lot. I can't listen heavy metal anymore without thinking about drinking, I can't play guitar anymore without thinking about it, I can't go to bars to watch UFC because the tempation to drink is too much. I consider those small sacrifices though. I have learned to like new things.

Davey, I feel you bro. I went to meetings 3 or 4 times a week the first year and a half, now I make an appearance every couple of months to let everyone know im still Sober. I stopped going because the meetings would just take me to a place I didnt want to be. Back to a time of darkness, selfishness and hate. Im here for you if ever you need me.

STEELERJ-XL
03-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Great Job man!! I was wondering though, do you love yourself enough now? I hope so. You have to love and respect yourself before you can give everything you have back to others. I guess I just answerd my ?. You must because you love your kids so much.

Sometimes I wonder about being powerless. When we are powerless over something, we should realize it and let it play out. What if that is about your kids. How can you say, we'll I am powerless so thats that. I can't do that when it comes to my kids....

Hey Al, I read this a few days ago & I needed to think and ask myself if I did love myself enough to stay sober. I just relized that I have to because my Mom gave me life and if I didnt Love myself that would brake her heart. If one of my kids didn't Love themselves, My heart would brake. So thank you for asking because I really didn't know if I Loved myself enough to wake up this Day and remain Sober. Today I Do.

STEELERJ-XL
03-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Today I Pray, May I be strong in the knowledge that Gods spirit is with me at all times. May I learn to feel his presence. May I know that NOTHING is hidden from him. Unlike the world which approve or disapproves of my outward behavior, God sees all that I do, think or feel. If I seek to do his will, I can always count on his reward for me - peace of mind. Today I Will Remeber..... God Knows All.

cgp10
03-21-2009, 02:18 PM
I just want to say hello and introduce myself.
I'm an alcoholic/addict (crack head). My sobriety date is August 13 2002.
I just happen to see this section last night. I'm pretty excited about it I have to say. Oh yeah, I'm from Jersey.

Good to be here!!

Sistersteel
03-21-2009, 02:28 PM
I just happen to see this section last night. I'm pretty excited about it I have to say. Oh yeah, I'm from Jersey.

Good to be here!!

Welcome home Brother! I just saw your post under another thread and wanted to welcome you to the family. Stick around buddy. Good people helping each other through tough times.

Keep coming back!

SS

BigAl33
03-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Hey Al, I read this a few days ago & I needed to think and ask myself if I did love myself enough to stay sober. I just relized that I have to because my Mom gave me life and if I didnt Love myself that would brake her heart. If one of my kids didn't Love themselves, My heart would brake. So thank you for asking because I really didn't know if I Loved myself enough to wake up this Day and remain Sober. Today I Do.

Good deal brother!! Glad to hear it....KCB

Good to be here!!

Welcome Brother!! Glad you are here!!

BigAl33
03-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Hope everyone had a Great weekend... Tuesday today.... Homegroup Day... I really enjoy my homegroup....:excited:

Sistersteel
03-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Hope everyone had a Great weekend... Tuesday today.... Homegroup Day... I really enjoy my homegroup....:excited:

Have a good one buddy! :)

BigAl33
03-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Have a good one buddy! :)

You too GIRLFRIEND!!!:jump:

Meeting was Great today. Lots of great disscussion!! Just realized today there are only 3 members of my home group. 1 guy has'nt been around in 2 mos. We get a great turnout, and everyone likes our meeting. Guess I have to do some recruiting....:confused:

Big Sky Guy
03-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Don't worry about recruiting Al. Just be a good example of your home group.

My home group was 5-10 people for many a year with lots of people visiting. Over time, people saw that we were a safe and fun place to stay sober, that we kept our meetings focused on the newcomer, and when there are no new people we dive off into deeper topics about the solution to our problems.

Ten years later we have 50 members from all walks of life and many different types of sponsorship.

Keep trudging the road of happy destiny!

BigAl33
03-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Don't worry about recruiting Al. Just be a good example of your home group.

My home group was 5-10 people for many a year with lots of people visiting. Over time, people saw that we were a safe and fun place to stay sober, that we kept our meetings focused on the newcomer, and when there are no new people we dive off into deeper topics about the solution to our problems.

Ten years later we have 50 members from all walks of life and many different types of sponsorship.

Keep trudging the road of happy destiny!

Good point. Keep it real!!

BigAl33
03-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Happy Weds. everybody. Having a great day so far.. Trainer whooped my ass...LOL

BigAl33
03-26-2009, 07:21 PM
One Day at a time!! Had a great meeting today. Great topic. Good cardio workout. A great day!! Hope all is well with everyone.....:o

BigAl33
03-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Hws everyone doing out there? Don't you just love knowing that its Friday and tommarow, you'll be able to get up in the morning and catch a workout, or anything else without feeling like POOP?!?!? KCB

AUXeSIS
03-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Hws everyone doing out there? Don't you just love knowing that its Friday and tommarow, you'll be able to get up in the morning and catch a workout, or anything else without feeling like POOP?!?!? KCB

WOO HOO Saturday morning..... I bend the rules on my Keto diet and have milk in my coffee, lol. I sit down, relax... and enjoy the peace and quiet.

BigAl33
03-27-2009, 09:41 PM
woo hoo saturday morning..... I bend the rules on my keto diet and have milk in my coffee, lol. I sit down, relax... And enjoy the peace and quiet.

nice!!!

Sistersteel
03-28-2009, 02:57 AM
Hey peeps!
I have had a rough couple of days.. business took a big hit and I found myself drowning in my misery, when I realized...my WORST day sober is better than any day under the influence.

So I snapped right of it!

Glad to be here! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

BigAl33
03-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Glad you did'nt let it get you too down Sis. Its great to be sober. Something bad would have happened before, who knows where I'd end up. Good job on gettin through. Remember, "This to will pass". Keep Comin Back my friend..:cool:

Big Sky Guy
03-28-2009, 07:42 PM
You know it SS! Even in the midst of the crappiest days today, we have a solution.

BigAl33
03-31-2009, 08:33 AM
Mornin' drunks... Hows everyone doin out there? Hope all is well. KCB!!!:wavey:

Bubba Bronko
04-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Morning everyone been awhile! work has been insane for some reason people just dont stop getting sick/hurt! I wont complain Ill always have a job here in the medical field! Hope everyone is loving life with a clear and sober mind because I sure as hell am. Finally the weather is getting nice!!!!

Sistersteel
04-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Good morning my brothers.
A fabulous day it is indeed. I have had it very rough lately my friends. Bad business investments, lost my aunt, dying grandfather, father officially off his rocker and attempted to murder my mother. Siblings turned to snitches and good friends always trying to use my generosity and kindness. Regular clients trying to cheat me and insomnia has hit full force and sleep is a privilege these days. What has gone so wrong in the world lately? Perhaps its just the way I have been looking at it.

But I have a roof over my head, people I love dearly and who love me back, food on the table, a mother who is a saint and a husband I cannot live without. I am strong enough today to allow myself to cry and pray that my tears wash away my sorrows and sinful thoughts.

I will say the serenity prayer, look up at the sun and close my eyes and let that warmth radiate to my core, and I am ready to make the best out of these trying times, with no shame or regret.

Respect,

SS

BigAl33
04-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I believe God gives the hardest things to ones He knows can deal with it best. You are strong!! Remember " This too will pass". You mentioned alot of good things so you will get through. If you need an ear, ill be here...

Keep Comin' Back Sister...

Sistersteel
04-02-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm here for the long haul brother ;)

Love,

SS

Big Sky Guy
04-02-2009, 05:03 PM
You are learning about you and what is truly important in life.

Sometimes we get to spend some time in the fire. Driving off the impurities and refining the gold that we are.

We can choose to step out of the fire whenever we wish, but in my experience we will end up back in that same fire again.

As KRAZY as it sounds SS...stay in the fire as long as you can! Learn what God has for you in this time. Lean on Him, your hubby and whomever He puts in your path to guide you through today.

BigAl33
04-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm here for the long haul brother ;)

Love,

SS

Glad to hear it!!!:D

Sistersteel
04-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Thank you my people! Today is a GLORIOUS day! Very cloudy and dreary outside, but I see that sun shining through!

The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want;
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters;
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for His name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil;
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life;
and I shall dwell in the house of the
Lord forever.

Psalm 23

BigAl33
04-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Its cloudy and dreary here too. But I love today!!

BigAl33
04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Hows it going? Everyone good? I'm sick.. But not Drunk, Just a sinus, ear, brain infection.... No training and hae'nt been eating properly... Should be fine in a few days...

Sistersteel
04-07-2009, 12:46 AM
Get well soon buddy! I will check back on you Friday when I get back.
Its going to be a long week!

Lil Powerhouse "Cione"
04-07-2009, 02:27 PM
This is great to have this thread. My the grace of God I will have 17 years in program AA, in May.

Actually, I don't think I could compete if I did not have a recovery program. I am a real alcoholic kind.

In fact, I commit my training and food plan to my sponsor who is AA and FA and who has done shows. She gave me a suggestion to hit a meeting before the show and after and I make calls especially on my load meal. I don't think I personal could do this sport alone without recovery support. I really am grateful that I get to do this.

Peace out!

BigAl33
04-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Welcome "Cione".. Glad you are here. Keep Comin Back...

Sistersteel
04-11-2009, 01:46 AM
This is great to have this thread. My the grace of God I will have 17 years in program AA, in May.

Actually, I don't think I could compete if I did not have a recovery program. I am a real alcoholic kind.

In fact, I commit my training and food plan to my sponsor who is AA and FA and who has done shows. She gave me a suggestion to hit a meeting before the show and after and I make calls especially on my load meal. I don't think I personal could do this sport alone without recovery support. I really am grateful that I get to do this.

Peace out!

Welcome Cione! keep comin back mama!

Big Sky Guy
04-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for sharing Cione!

BigAl33
05-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Hey Drunks... Hows everybody doing? :wavey:

yeahbuddy
06-10-2009, 02:59 AM
I just discovered this thread. I'm Mike and I am a grateful alcoholic. My sobriety date is 4/13/04. I have a wonderful life because of sobriety and I would have died a long time ago had I stayed drunk. It's nice to have two lifestyles in common with all of you- sobriety and bodybuilding!!! It's funny, I even call people who don't lift weights "normies".

The bodybuilding lifestyle has helped my self discipline and has centered my mind. I have found it to be an invaluable tool in keeping me from that first drink. My time in the gym is like meditation. When I leave the gym, my mind is clear and stress free.

SteelerJ-XL- My mom also died of cancer, when I was 13 yrs. old. That shit aint easy.

Sistersteel
06-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I just discovered this thread. I'm Mike and I am a grateful alcoholic. My sobriety date is 4/13/04. I have a wonderful life because of sobriety and I would have died a long time ago had I stayed drunk. It's nice to have two lifestyles in common with all of you- sobriety and bodybuilding!!! It's funny, I even call people who don't lift weights "normies".

The bodybuilding lifestyle has helped my self discipline and has centered my mind. I have found it to be an invaluable tool in keeping me from that first drink. My time in the gym is like meditation. When I leave the gym, my mind is clear and stress free.

SteelerJ-XL- My mom also died of cancer, when I was 13 yrs. old. That shit aint easy.

Welcome home brother! Keep coming back buddy. We're in this together, a day at a time.

SS

BigAl33
06-15-2009, 12:30 AM

Welcome... Glad you are here.. I hope we can get some good discussion going here. What do ya say SIS!!!

Goodfellas
06-18-2009, 09:09 AM
I have been sober 12 years. The day met my wife at work. I walked her to her car passed a bar and everyone was shouting for me to come in and I said nope I dont do that anymore.

Lucky I didnt kill myself or someone else...

Sistersteel
06-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Welcome Goodfellas. Nice of you to drop by my friend. Keep coming back!

SS

Goodfellas
06-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I have been struggling lately. My disability hearing is coming up and I was close a few times having a drink. I didn't break though :)

Sistersteel
06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
I have been struggling lately. My disability hearing is coming up and I was close a few times having a drink. I didn't break though :)

One drink is too many and a thousand never enough! You did the right thing buddy!

BigAl33
06-22-2009, 08:36 PM

Stay strong. You will get through it!!

Big Sky Guy
06-23-2009, 12:31 AM
It is never worth it GF!

BigAl33
06-23-2009, 12:53 PM

How ya Doin' today bro??

BigAl33
07-06-2009, 12:20 AM
HOPE EVERYBODY HAD A SAFE AND SOBER FOUTH.... MINE WAS GREAT!!

:beerbang: Non Alcoholic beverage (iced tea in my glass)

BigAl33
07-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Going to a Mens spiritual weekend tthios weekend. Never attended anything like this before, should be interesting, going with my sponser. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Big Sky Guy
07-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Should be a good time! I have gone to dozens and enjoyed something about all of them!

BigAl33
07-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Should be a good time! I have gone to dozens and enjoyed something about all of them!

Sounds cool, looking forward to it for sure.

BigAl33
07-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Spiritual weekend was nothing short of "AWESOME". There was some great sobtiety there and the speakers were fantastic and inspirational. I got alot out of it and am so glad I went. Keep Comin Back...

Curt James
03-15-2011, 08:30 PM
bump

BigAl33
03-16-2011, 10:51 PM
I have been away from RX for quite a while.... I have been sober for over 2 years and i am very happy i am still sober. I have been neglecting my health and fitness in other ways tho, basically being lazy... But now I am here with a somewhat renewed focus on it. Check out the Battle Thread as I try to "destroy" my OLD nemisis Curt James!!!! At what I don't know, but stay tuned.

If anyone is struggling, post here. It is a good way to get rid of it and leave it on the screen.....enjoy

Battle thread: Big Al's Battle Thread! - RX Muscle Forums

BigAl33
03-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Morning. Its a nice Sunday. I have to work, but im sober and blessed!!!!

BigAl33
04-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Bump... Just trying to see if I can spark some interest on this thread, if you are looking, post, no judges here.

LIQUIDEX
04-02-2011, 12:22 AM
i wouldn't go as far as saying i'm a recovering alcoholic, as i've met people who had serious drinking problems for years, and my situation was nothing like that.

but i drank heavily on a daily basis for a period of 6months, in those six months my health deteriorated rapidly. i couldn't talk properly, was always struggling to to speak in fluent sentences.

i went from being an active individual to sedentary, gained 40lb, drinking liquor/beer and eating junk can do that to you quick.

my liver values were elevated, and my kidney's where clearly hurting towards the end.

my skin went from being clear and healthy to developing serious acne, your body looses the ability to properly detoxify with constant bombardment of alcohol.

i quit going to university for a year, as i was absolutely dysfunctional.

thank god, that I'm back to my senses, and living a healthier lifestyle.

addictions of all sorts are always a symptom of a deeper problem, it's difficult to self evaluate and be objectively critical.

If you want to be a successful human being, you must be consistent in achieving your goals, learn how to deal with failures and set backs, and always remember life is challenging, but it does have it's joyous moments.

I wish all of you a prosperous life.

BigAl33
04-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks for sharing. Life comes at you and its how you deal with it that counts...good stuff.

BigAl33
04-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Hows everyone doing. if anyone is struggling, keep you head up..

BigAl33
05-26-2011, 11:25 PM
BUMP!!! Hope all is well....

BigAl33
06-09-2011, 12:43 AM
BUMP...Anyone in need of any support....:hmn:

yeahbuddy
06-17-2011, 06:38 PM
I have been away frm RX for a while. Having major shoulder problems so I am finding it difficult to be as interested in bodybuilding as I once was.

I am still sober. Over 7 years now. It's amazing how much easier it gets after the first year or two. I just keep doing what I need to stay mentally healthy and sober on a daily basis and the years fly by. I guess it helps that I actually enjoy life these days instead of hating it and myself like I did back when i was drinking/drugging.

For anyone who is struggling- get to a place where there are other alcoholics and trust me, it gets better. Sometimes you gotta trudge for a while. You have to get into action and out of your head- we cannot think our way into being happier/healthier.

ALSO- In my opinion, if you have been going to meetings for months and have not yet completed the 12 steps, I suggest doing it ASAP. The first 100 that the big book talks about did the steps in a matter of days. Going to meetings and not doing the steps is like going to the doctor for a prescription and not taking the medicine. You have untreated alcoholism. Meetings are good, but the treatment is the steps, not the meetings!

BigAl33
06-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks for sharing. Hope your shoulder is doing well. Great point about the steps!!

razorsedge
06-20-2011, 05:03 PM
I have been away frm RX for a while. Having major shoulder problems so I am finding it difficult to be as interested in bodybuilding as I once was.

I am still sober. Over 7 years now. It's amazing how much easier it gets after the first year or two. I just keep doing what I need to stay mentally healthy and sober on a daily basis and the years fly by. I guess it helps that I actually enjoy life these days instead of hating it and myself like I did back when i was drinking/drugging.

For anyone who is struggling- get to a place where there are other alcoholics and trust me, it gets better. Sometimes you gotta trudge for a while. You have to get into action and out of your head- we cannot think our way into being happier/healthier.

ALSO- In my opinion, if you have been going to meetings for months and have not yet completed the 12 steps, I suggest doing it ASAP. The first 100 that the big book talks about did the steps in a matter of days. Going to meetings and not doing the steps is like going to the doctor for a prescription and not taking the medicine. You have untreated alcoholism. Meetings are good, but the treatment is the steps, not the meetings! Agree that you need to work the steps but meetings are where
the magic happens. The 12 & 12 starts out with "we."

BigAl33
06-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Love me some meetings!!!

razorsedge
06-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Too much isolation is bad for AA's.

BigAl33
06-24-2011, 05:25 PM
No doubt.....I cant spend to much time in my head alone...... its dark and scary in there.

boots
07-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Great thread

BigAl33
07-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Great thread

Thanks, and welcome!!

razorsedge
07-14-2011, 05:08 PM
I need to be constantly reminded that AA isn't a self help group but
rather is a help others group.

BigAl33
07-15-2011, 12:29 AM
I need to be constantly reminded that AA isn't a self help group but
rather is a help others group.

Well Said!!

BigAl33
09-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Hoping all is well. Just bumping the thread.

juiceinator3000
09-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Sucks that this thread is pretty much dead now :/

BigAl33
11-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Agree

juiceinator3000
11-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Alright bitches I'm reviving this thread and gonna start posting in here every day if I got to. Recovery thread period, dope fiends crack heads Alkis, whatever you are getcha ass in here.

juiceinator3000
11-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Who in here is sober?? I'm gonna pull some of you bitches in here.

boots
11-14-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm in, sober 6 years, training for 3

juiceinator3000
11-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Nice. After relapsing after 5years for a year, I've been sober again for 9 months. Been back in the gym for about a year now, but nothing for a whole year so from all the drugs and not exercising I lost a shitload of weight

razorsedge
11-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Juice: congrats on your 9 months. I am sober 17 years. How did I do it besides one
day at a time. I still attend 3 meetings a week. Going to one at noontime today and
went to my home group last night. Stay connected and get sponsored.

juiceinator3000
11-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Fuck this alcohol and addiction shit. My best friend just died 15 minutes ago. Fuck you drugs

BC123Jm
11-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Fuck this alcohol and addiction shit. My best friend just died 15 minutes ago. Fuck you drugs

holy shit man. sorry to hear that.

been clean 2 years, back into bodybuilding for almost a year now after 7 years
of opiates and benzos

juiceinator3000
11-25-2011, 11:51 PM
holy shit man. sorry to hear that.

been clean 2 years, back into bodybuilding for almost a year now after 7 years
of opiates and benzos

Thanks bro. Yea I'm a dope fiend and crack head. I'm actually prescribed Xanax but its the one thing I've never abused. But I'm fucked up in the head right now I wanna go blast like 3grams of test and destroy my gym right now.

juiceinator3000
12-01-2011, 06:18 AM
Meetings have been my best friend since I lost my true best friend to this shit. If I ever think about getting fucked up again I'm going to remember the look on my best friends mother and brothers faces at his wake and funeral. This has really been an awful week, and Ive been having a shitty time sleeping and eating and just wanna get back to my life. Shit comes up sometimes though that one has to deal with.

razorsedge
12-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Juicinator: as bad as these things are, they to shall pass. Just don't drink or use
over them.

juiceinator3000
12-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Juicinator: as bad as these things are, they to shall pass. Just don't drink or use
over them.

Thanks. I've been focusing on the positives in life and making the best of the situation.

razorsedge
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Recovery means becoming the best person I can be. It doesn't mean
I get a problem free life but rather it means I don't create as many
problems for myself.:yep:

razorsedge
12-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Hope everyone stayed sober over Xmas.

BigAl33
01-08-2012, 09:33 PM
I did'nt..... After 3+ years....Oh well....get back on the train

Jameson829
01-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Glad a thread like this came up. I have 2+ years of sobriety. Hard to believe. It was only a short while after I cleaned up that I really started getting into bodybuilding. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on recovery and performance enhancers. During my time in sobriety, I've used drugs like ephedrine, clenbuterol and other stims and also tried using an AI. Where is the line drawn between substances that would be considered a relapse and substances used to better myself? Do AAS really have a place in a recovering alcoholic's life? I didn't take anything with the idea of getting fucked up in mind. But still, there are those purists who say any and all drugs must be abstained from. If that was the case, anytime someone in recovery smoked a cigarette or had a cup of coffee or took a fuckin Tylenol they would relapse. So where is the line drawn?

razorsedge
01-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Recently, I celebrated my 18th year sober. I believe that any drug prescribed by a doctor
is appropriate to take as long as you don't use deception to get the script. Personally, I
don't think use of coffee or cigarettes adversely effects sobriety since they only have
a minor effect on clear thinking. Personally, I think AAS does adversely effect sobriety
and interferes with clear thinking. AAS use appears to be a direct cause of muscle
dysmorphia and other personality changes. Thats my experience.

juiceinator3000
01-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I did'nt..... After 3+ years....Oh well....get back on the train
Sorry to hear that.

Glad a thread like this came up. I have 2+ years of sobriety. Hard to believe. It was only a short while after I cleaned up that I really started getting into bodybuilding. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on recovery and performance enhancers. During my time in sobriety, I've used drugs like ephedrine, clenbuterol and other stims and also tried using an AI. Where is the line drawn between substances that would be considered a relapse and substances used to better myself? Do AAS really have a place in a recovering alcoholic's life? I didn't take anything with the idea of getting fucked up in mind. But still, there are those purists who say any and all drugs must be abstained from. If that was the case, anytime someone in recovery smoked a cigarette or had a cup of coffee or took a fuckin Tylenol they would relapse. So where is the line drawn?
I think maybe it depends on the person. I take steroids, yet have been sober for a year again next month. They don't affect me to any extent, more just a supplement to me at this point. And they were in no way the reason I relapsed, because that happened before I ever used gear. Sober is a state of mind. Anyone can not drink and get high, but to be sober is different in my experience.

razorsedge
01-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Sorry to hear that.

I think maybe it depends on the person. I take steroids, yet have been sober for a year again next month. They don't affect me to any extent, more just a supplement to me at this point. And they were in no way the reason I relapsed, because that happened before I ever used gear. Sober is a state of mind. Anyone can not drink and get high, but to be sober is different in my experience.
Juicinator: I respect that you disagree with me but I won't change my opinion. Just don't drink or use.
There is no hating in AA.

juiceinator3000
01-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Juicinator: I respect that you disagree with me but I won't change my opinion. Just don't drink or use.
There is no hating in AA.
I never ask anyone to change their opinion. Or even try to change anyone's. Learned that a long time ago. All I know is that for myself, aas doesn't affect me the same as it may someone else. However, there's always risk involved.

yeahbuddy
01-23-2012, 03:00 AM
Recovery means becoming the best person I can be. It doesn't mean
I get a problem free life but rather it means I don't create as many
problems for myself.:yep:

Great words! Accepting who I am and not judging myself too harshly has been such a great blessing for me. I try my best and if I fuck up, oh well, there are other reasons to be grateful. Life is much smoother and easier when you quit making it difficult for yourself.

Juiceinator- sorry to hear that about your friend. I have lost some people while in recovery and somehow I didn't pick up. I am very glad I didn't because I don't think I would be alive right now if I had.

BigAl33- Welcome back.

As for AAS in sobriety, I don't have a huge problem with it (I know some who do and it is obviously a controversial subject). I draw the line with drugs by making sure they are not severely mood or mind altering, are not physically addictive, and will not lead one to seek their drug of choice. I don't think AAS will ruin most recovering people's sobriety as long as they have enough emotional and mental maturity to handle it. Only the individual knows themself well enough to decide this- provided they are being honest. To thine own self be true.

I'm still sober BTW. Coming up on 8 years in about 2 months (if I keep doing it one day at a time). I'm not on the boards much these days but I am glad to see you guys are still here.

yeahbuddy
01-23-2012, 03:14 AM
Razorsedge- (There is a meeting in Phoenix called Razors Edge by the way) I Also wanted to say congrats on 18 years!!! That is awesome. I remember when I was new, I think I had a month. I was talking to a friend at a meeting and he told me that he had some serious time under his belt- 9 months. I was amazed that anybody could stay sober that long! It's funny looking back on that, but at the time I didn't know if I was going to make it to lunchtime without drinking, I couldn't imagine years.

razorsedge
01-23-2012, 10:17 AM
I consider myself fortunate to have sobriety time. Its due to my participation in AA. I thank God everyday for
my sobriety its a gift, not an entitlement. Sobriety is about not only staying sober one day at a time but also
about living your life one day at a time. So often we drink or use because either we were regretting the past
or had anxiety about the future. I need to be reminded to live well today and the future will take care of itself.