PDA

View Full Version : Tanning for a show?

wnybodybuildingfan
02-21-2009, 02:32 PM
I was curious how far out from a contest that everyone starts tanning? Also, how many times a week do you tan? I have heard 5 weeks out is a normal starting time. Thank in advance for your response.

Scoobysnacks
02-21-2009, 02:40 PM
I was curious how far out from a contest that everyone starts tanning? Also, how many times a week do you tan? I have heard 5 weeks out is a normal starting time. Thank in advance for your response.

Everyone is different. If Im dieting in the summer, I may not need to at all as the pool will get me a base. If winter I usually start 2 mos out so I dont have to burn myself, start real slow and small minute increments, maybe 3 x per week if I have the time. You just need a base, but shit look how white Wolf was in his pre Olympia pics and he got dark.

Ss

chucksm00th
02-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Everyone is different. If Im dieting in the summer, I may not need to at all as the pool will get me a base. If winter I usually start 2 mos out so I dont have to burn myself, start real slow and small minute increments, maybe 3 x per week if I have the time. You just need a base, but shit look how white Wolf was in his pre Olympia pics and he got dark.

Ss

agreed. If you get dark easy you dont need to tan as much as some. I burn very easy and look like casper the ghost when i dont tan so i need more time, eventually i go every other day after i get acclimated.
The protan and other tanning porducts will take care of the rest and youll be plenty black.

the mighty stu
02-21-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm getting ready for my 1st show, and I'm pretty damn pale... Would it be horrible if I just did the 5 or 6 coats of fake tanner (you know, bake each coat on with a hairdryer type of deal)?

S

AVBG
02-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Generally speaking, if the season permits try get some sun or a sun bed 3 times per week - starting 6-8 weeks prior to the competition.. Getting a good base tan prior to the fake tan is really important to getting a good final color.

quadrablue
02-21-2009, 11:14 PM
If I can add.....Tanning swells the skin so make sure you stop tanning a few days out from your show. Same goes for waxing/shaving.

stavios
02-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Last show I did I tanned until I was "dark enough". I use melatnotan 2 so that keeps you dark as well. The day before the show I got sprayed by Colette at Dave's house and it was the best thing I ever did.

I'm the one in the middle. Eastern USA's/November '08 Masters 45+ Winner.

how do you like that melanotan stuff ?
I am interested in trying it if it can safe me from going too much to the salon.
(I try not to tan as much as possible to keep an healthy skin)

TB
02-24-2009, 09:41 PM
No need to tan. This is exactly what Pro Tan and Dream Tan are for. Competing is an unhealthy enough thing to do without introducing skin cancer to the equation.
I have seen the whitest of white guys slap on a layer of Dream Tan and go out and win the show.

pnohe
02-25-2009, 09:32 AM
While I agree that starting out white is a non issue if you have your coloring process down, it seems as though everyone is missing the other advantages of tanning... major tightening of the skin, removal of blemishes, helps get rid of dry patches (dark spots when stage tanned), etc. 15- 20 minutes 3x per week 3- 4 weeks out is enough. just don't lotion the last week and stop tanning at least 24 hours before the show.