PDA

View Full Version : GO f'n Nuts

GRAVESY
08-13-2009, 08:57 PM
I was looking around for 411 of nuts.
I know that Dave is recommends Almonds, Walnuts and Cashews, and peanuts in the form of All Natural Peanut Butter in his keto diet.
But variety is the spice of life.
Any Nutrition Buffs please let me know what you think, i'd appreciate it.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/322711/the_health_benefits_of_nuts.html?cat=5

Nuts are a very taste food that are enjoyed by many. The good news is that there are many health benefits that are associated with eating nuts. Most nuts are known to be good for preventing the risk of heart disease and gallstone disease. The Omega 3 fatty acids which they contain are not only known to help prevent your risk of developing these type of diseases, but they also may help suppress your appetite. Here, we will take a much closer look at some of the most popular types of nuts that people eat and what they can do for your body. Read on to learn more reasons why you should consider adding nuts to your own diet.

Health Benefits of Pistachios
Various studies have shown that pistachios are a type of nut that you may want to think about eating if you want a very healthy heart. The main is because blood vessels become more relaxed when you eat pistachios. Pistachios are also known to lower your blood pressure. Overall, pistachios are one of the most heart-healthy types of nuts that a person can eat.

Health Benefits of Walnuts
Walnuts are another very healthy type of nut. They contain some very essential vitamins, such as Vitamin D and Vitamin E. They also are known to contain high levels of fiber, which is an essential key to weight loss. You are recommended to eat walnuts if you are interested in lowering your cholesterol levels, as they contain high levels of Omega 3 fatty acids.

Health Benefits of Cashews
Cashews are known to provide many nutrients which are essential to the body; including zinc, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, and copper. Cashews are considered to be one of the nuts that are lowest in fat, making them an excellent choice for anyone who is concerned about their weight but still wants to take advantage of nuts. They are known to lower cholesterol levels and may help reduce your chances of developing diabetes.

Health Benefits of Peanuts
Much like walnuts, peanuts are also known to be a very good source of fiber. They are also a very good source of protein. Vitamins E and B6, niacin, potassium, magnesium and zinc are all nutrients which can be found in peanuts, giving you all the more reason to eat them. However, it is important to make sure that you avoid salted peanuts, which are very high in sodium.

Health Benefits of Brazil Nuts
Like many other types of nuts, Brazil nuts are known to be a significant source of essential nutrients. Some of the main nutrients that can be found in Brazil nuts include calcium, magnesium, Vitamin E, zinc, and selenium. They also contain high amounts of protein and fiber. Brazil nuts are well known for boosting your immunity, lowering cholesterol and reducing your chances of developing certain types of cancer.

Health Benefits of Almonds
There are a number of different nutrients which can be found in almonds. In fact, many believe that it is the type of nut that contains the highest amount of nutrients. Some of these many nutrients include calcium, fiber, protein, potassium, phosphorous, iron, and Vitamin E. It is also believed that eating almonds can help reduce the risk of developing both diabetes and obesity.

Health Benefits of Pecans
Pecans are known to lower cholesterol levels, which gives many people a good reason to eat them. Pecans are a very good source of both fiber and antioxidants. They are also high in other essential nutrients, such as calcium, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, folic acid, magnesium and zinc - to name a few of the 19 that it has to offer. Many would argue that this type of nut offers the highest number of vitamins.

Health Benefits of Hazelnuts
Hazelnut is especially well known for protecting your body against certain diseases, particularly cancer. It is known to be a nut which contains high levels of Vitamin E. Some of the other vitamins that hazelnuts are known to offer include B1, B2, and B6. Calcium, iron, zinc, and potassium can also all be found in hazelnuts.

How Many Nuts Should You Eat?
People who include nuts in their daily diets are known to be 50% less likely to develop heart disease. While you may love nuts and this may give you the incentive to include them in your diet, it is important for you to realize that they should only be eaten in moderation. You cannot eat nuts all day long and think that it is healthy for you. Limiting yourself to between one and two ounces of nuts daily will help provide you with the health benefits that are associated with eating nuts, as well as ensure that you are not eating too many nuts for your own good.

GRAVESY
08-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Mac were not on the list above so I looked real quick found>

Benefits of Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts provide a wide range of beneficial compounds. They are a high energy food, full of protein and fiber and loaded with other important nutrients that, in concert, impact favorably on human health.
Macadamia Nut Nutrition Information:Antioxidants, Fiber, Phytochemicals, Protein, Minerals, Monounsaturated fats, andVitamins

Macadamias contain natural oils. They are high in heart-friendly monounsaturated fat, which contains oleic fatty acid as well as paimitoleic fatty acid (also present in fish oils). Macadamias come in tops for containing the highest amount of monounsatarated fatty acids in a natural food.

Read more: http://holistic-nutrition.suite101.com/article.cfm/macadamia_nut_health_benefits#ixzz0O7B4U7W6 (http://holistic-nutrition.suite101.com/article.cfm/macadamia_nut_health_benefits#ixzz0O7B4U7W6)

FoodFreak
09-12-2009, 07:00 PM
the problem with alot of these "blanket statements" for the health BENEFITS of certain foods is "they" forget to mention the drawbacks. Each and ever food has a ratio of benefits and drawbacks. Although nuts are a generally healthy source of mainly poly/mono unsaturated fats with fiber and nutrients, they tend to contain ALOT of omega-6 linoleic acid vs ALA (omega-3). Combine this with the undeniable fact that most people's omega-3 omega-6 ratio is COMPLETELY out of whack and we raise the question- how truly good are these nuts? macadamia nuts have the best ratio of O3 to O6 by a large margin so they wont necessarily disrupt anyone aggregate ratio, but other nuts should be carefully added to the diet.

Don't get me wrong, nuts and nut butters are a convenient, easy to store, easy to travel with and tasty healthy fat source... and I eat a lot of them myself (mostly almonds due to lower fat content per ounce and availability). However, I do take the time to make sure I am supplementing with enough omega-3's (mainly EPA and DHA from fish oil, but I also believe in consuming adequate ALA from plant sources like flax seed oil) to maintain at MOST a 1:4 ratio of O-3 to O-6.

I actually prefer to maintain a 1:2 - 1:1 ratio which is truly ideal and is something that I am currently doing.

www.nutritiondata.com does a great job of breaking down the fatty acid content of listed foods- making it relatively easy to calculate.