PDA

View Full Version : UK Bodybuilders 2010 powerlifting goal

Leni101%Natural
08-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Basically here’s the thing, I’ve been natural bodybuilding(though haven’t competed yet) for five years now and over the past two years have put on good size(about 20-25lbs) due to better nutrition/diet. I’ve also noticed good strength increases and so am setting a goal of entering my first natural powerlifting meet in 2010 as who doesn’t like to push heavy weight. I would like to incorporate some powerlifting training into my bodybuilding split (can’t give up the bbing) so am looking for some ideas. Below I’ll list my split and some lifts and my stats. One of my uncles was a national level powerlifter in the UK back in the day (700+ Deadlit, 720 Squat, my other uncle was NABBA UK BB champion 1990) and will do some training with him but theirs a lot of amazing guys I could learn from on here too. I know it’s unconventional to do both but I like both so im going to try it, my numbers aren’t as high as you guys across the water but got to star somewhere.

Weight: 205
Height: 5’9

Split: Monday: Chest, bis, shoulders
Wednesday: Back, tris
Friday: Legs

Lifts: Bench: 275* 8-10 reps RAW (not maxed in a long time, will attempt tonight)
Squat: 450*15 reps RAW (not maxed)
Dead lift: 462 RAW (always been done after squats)
Bent over row: 315 *10

One problem I have is my quads are really strong (I leg press 1100lb for reps of 15) its my back that feels the pressure on the squat, any ideas?

BrotherIron
08-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't think that is a bad idea at all.

Split: Monday: Chest, bis, shoulders
Wednesday: Back, tris
Friday: Legs

One problem I have is my quads are really strong (I leg press 1100lb for reps of 15) its my back that feels the pressure on the squat, any ideas?From the sounds of it you need to strengthen your lower back. I would incorporatre Reverse Hypes, Good Mornings, exercises from the hang, etc into your routine to strengthen your lower back which will carryover to your squats and deadlifts. Have someone watch your form to ensure you're performing the lift properly. Also, it's your hams which are so strong not your quads bud. You use your hams MUCH more in your squat and leg press than your quads, thats a misconception. To help increase your squats I would recommend targeting your hamstrings and adductors.

If the above regimen is currently what your doing it's a push/pull system. So I would put biceps with back and put triceps with chest and shoulders. You may want to change this and instead have a Dynamic and a Max Effort Day instead for your days.

What exercises are you currently doing? You can look at many of our routines on here to get ideas. There are threads here that have our routines as well as variations of exercises to keep progressing while training.

Unlike in bodybuilding, you'll find most of us change our routines regularly to keep making progress year after year. If you keep your routine the same for extended periods of time you will fry your CNS and that will halt your progress.

I would also suggest you use chains in your routine to help overcome stagnation. Chains will focus on acceleration from the initial lift as well as strengthen your lockout.

Leni101%Natural
08-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the post.(and for the correction)

Yes it is my lower back which needs work(small joints), it feels the strain right at the very bottom of the squat and the first section of the deadlift once im up just under the knees i can always lockout from their on.

On mondays i train chest First, the area i find difficult is from the touch and press movement ,ive a tendancy to press slowly(bbing brain kicks in) midway and lockingout is the easy part(close grip bp i think has helped) so i guess i need to work on my acceleration, perhaps bands? And i realy need to work on my hand position.

Wednesdays back training is a walk in a park i train hard and heavy but i have a strong upper back and lats back bent over 315lb is sometimes too light , Rows mainly but done but would like to ad something for the powerlifting,though i like to leave lower back for leg day.

Fridays are the meat and potatos just squat deadlit and Leg press and hypers(though i think i need to ad some substantial weight for the hypers)

Only started doing freeweight squats the past month and a half ,was using a smith before(i train at two gyms) but i find freeweight squats much easier. My form is good i take the time to get my feet right ect feel comfortable with the bar accept at pressing point with a heavy weight.I go pretty deep but again I know i need to work on my speed but i think it will come with time, I think squat will be my best movement,though i need to build confidence with the heavy weight on the bar(the only exercise that actualy scares me).

Deadlifts are strange with me i have decent form but i could deadlift that weight a year ago(though i never realy deadlifted often idiot that i am), its going to be the hardest to work on i think.

An example of last weeks Friday (bare in mind im new to powerlifting routines but am slowly changing to the low reps):

SQUAT: (ass to calves)
1: 225*20
2: 315*10
3: 405*10
4: 444*5
5: 464*5
6: 405*10
7: 315*15

Deadlift

1:225*20
2:315*10
3:405*2
4:464*1
5:405*2
6:315*8

Leg press: Highest 700lb, strip sets

Hypers

I do usualy change my exercises but cant say ive changes my bodyparts days since late last year as i have goten stronger with the push pull days but if needs must.

crashcrew56
08-14-2009, 11:00 PM
I think your split looks pretty good, I do have a few suggestions though:

Each week you rotate whether you do max effort work (heavy workout, train to you max on 1 2 or 3 reps)or speed work, for example week one bench ME, squat ME and then train speed deadlifts. Then the next week train speed bench, speed squats, and ME deadlifts.

Another suggestion when squating you don't alway need to train ass to ankles, maybe during your ME workouts go to parrellel and for your speed work go full depth

I would also keep your reps lower on your powerlifting lifts, higher reps is ok when you are warming up, but you want to try to be handling as heavy of weight as you can so I would keep your reps lower on power lifts.

Also go on youtube and watch pl videos, and watch their squat form, it's probably a lot different from what you have been doing with your bb workouts. The main difference you will probably notice is wider stance, toes pointed out and push your knees out.

I don't know what your current footwear is for your training, I would suggest when performing squats or deadlifts to go with either chuck taylors or wrestling shoes, but if you are currently using lifting shoes those work too. Running shoes and cross training shoes are not good to be using, they are fine for bench though.

I would also suggest tris with your chest and shoulders, and biceps with your back workout.

And like BrotherIron said I would have someone who is familiar with powerlifitng form to watch your lifts and check it.