PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a new routine

Mr. Hyde
08-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Hey everyone, i need to setup a new routine in a couple of weeks and im a bit confused because i am used to training 5 days. I usually do a 5 day power/hyper split thats looks like this.

Upper (power)
Lower (power)
HIIT/Abs
Pull
Push
Legs
HIIT/Abs

Here are some of my best lifts to date. Im 5 8" about 215, i could be 200. I got a little sloppy this summer but its all good. If i ever did a meet i would get to 200.

Bench 385x1
Dead 495x2
Squat 495x1

Total = 1,375

When september comes around i can only train with weights 4 days max. i was thinking of doing a split similiar to west side or just keep it simple with a pull, push, legs split. I want to focus on strength but i also want to look good naked...lol. With either of these spilts i was gonna do HIIT 3 days a week, any thoughts. Also, can i be competitive in a 200lb class with these lifts? I never competed so im just wondering. Thanks

BrotherIron
08-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Not a fan of HIT training or the cardio regimen personally.

You can make a 4x week split or even drop it down to 3x week. There are many different examples on here.

I think a Dynamic day and ME day would be a good change of pace. You could even make a Dynamic week and follow it with a Max Effort week and then repeat.

I myself train 4x week and use %'s. I train using a 4 week wave where the 4th week is a deload week and switch exercises every 2 waves. Week one for me is 65/75/85%, week 2 70/80/90%, week 3 75/85/95%, week 4 50%. Than I add 5lbs or more on the following wave depending on the numbers I pulled/pushed and repeat.

Mr. Hyde
08-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Not a fan of HIT training or the cardio regimen personally.

You can make a 4x week split or even drop it down to 3x week. There are many different examples on here.

I think a Dynamic day and ME day would be a good change of pace. You could even make a Dynamic week and follow it with a Max Effort week and then repeat.

I myself train 4x week and use %'s. I train using a 4 week wave where the 4th week is a deload week and switch exercises every 2 waves. Week one for me is 65/75/85%, week 2 70/80/90%, week 3 75/85/95%, week 4 50%. Than I add 5lbs or more on the following wave depending on the numbers I pulled/pushed and repeat.

Thanks alot, im sticking with my split for a couple of more weeks. Im not sure what im gonna do. maybe when the time comes i will mess around every week with something diffrent until i find something i like. its gonna be mentally hard to train only 3-4 days weeks but im gonna have to get over it.

marcusmucheck
08-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Not a fan of HIT here niether.

i do almost the same thing as brother iron in terms of exercise rotation, percents, and waves.

i also try to choose exercises that will damage me the least. example-

jerk from the block instead of jerk from the rack.
bench press from the block instead of pin press.

whats the schedule going to be like?

tjoe
08-17-2009, 08:14 AM
as far as competing...
there is no 200 lbs class.
its 198 or 220
just so you know if you plan on doing one.

Mr. Hyde
08-17-2009, 02:58 PM
as far as competing...
there is no 200 lbs class.
its 198 or 220
just so you know if you plan on doing one.

I guess below 198 then. I want to compete in something, i think it will help me train harder and focus more. I was thinking about a BB show but my numbers have been going up this past year so i was toying with the idea of PL. I just love trying to move heavier weights every power day, i think about it for hours before i hit the gym. its kind of sick..lol

Mr. Hyde
08-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Not a fan of HIT here niether.

i do almost the same thing as brother iron in terms of exercise rotation, percents, and waves.

i also try to choose exercises that will damage me the least. example-

jerk from the block instead of jerk from the rack.
bench press from the block instead of pin press.

whats the schedule going to be like?

not sure, i can only train 4 days a week with weights starting in a few weeks so im trying to figure something out.

Mr. Hyde
08-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Why do you guys not like HIIT??

BrotherIron
08-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Why do you guys not like HIIT??

I don't like HIT cardio b/c the stress placed on my knees is more than I need. I've had both knees replaced so I baby them.

And I don't like HIT training b/c I'm not a believer of 1 exercise and 1 working set per bodypart. Years of data captured by Soviets and other countries show that volume is needed when training for strength.

Mr. Hyde
08-24-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't like HIT cardio b/c the stress placed on my knees is more than I need. I've had both knees replaced so I baby them.

And I don't like HIT training b/c I'm not a believer of 1 exercise and 1 working set per bodypart. Years of data captured by Soviets and other countries show that volume is needed when training for strength.

I should have been more clear, i also miss typed it. i ment High Intensity Interval Training for cardio. i go on the elipitcal or the bike, warrm up for 10-15 minutes, then i do 15 intervals and a 10-15 minutes cool down. I do like 15-20 seconds balls to the wall and then 40-45 seconds at a slow pace. i thought it was good GPP work.

BrotherIron
08-24-2009, 10:16 PM
I should have been more clear, i also miss typed it. i ment High Intensity Interval Training for cardio. i go on the elipitcal or the bike, warrm up for 10-15 minutes, then i do 15 intervals and a 10-15 minutes cool down. I do like 15-20 seconds balls to the wall and then 40-45 seconds at a slow pace. i thought it was good GPP work.

The only HIT cardio I've ever done was wind sprints or stadiums. My left knee has been bothering me a bit and the additional stress isn't the best for me. For me sled dragging or tire flips is better GPP work imho.

Mr. Hyde
08-25-2009, 03:55 PM
The only HIT cardio I've ever done was wind sprints or stadiums. My left knee has been bothering me a bit and the additional stress isn't the best for me. For me sled dragging or tire flips is better GPP work imho.

I want to do sled dragging so bad. i live in new york so even if i made the sled using it would be a problem. im gonna back off on it for now because i am coming off a cycle so i think LISS is a better choice at the moment. I think i am gonna go with Lower / push / pull over M W F. Im also gonna hit a arm workout out on sunday.

BrotherIron
08-25-2009, 06:11 PM
I want to do sled dragging so bad. i live in new york so even if i made the sled using it would be a problem. im gonna back off on it for now because i am coming off a cycle so i think LISS is a better choice at the moment. I think i am gonna go with Lower / push / pull over M W F. Im also gonna hit a arm workout out on sunday.

I have a Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat split as well focusing on M/W/F.

Don't you have any PLing gyms around up there? You would be able to sled drag there if you could find one and they'd even have the sled to use.

Mr. Hyde
08-26-2009, 01:17 AM
I live in staten island and theres almost no regular gyms around anymore. La fitness and other crap gyms are taking over. Damm Shame!

BrotherIron
08-26-2009, 10:38 AM
I live in staten island and theres almost no regular gyms around anymore. La fitness and other crap gyms are taking over. Damm Shame!

There may be an Oly Gym up there bud. I'll ask John and see if there is one near where you are.