PDA

View Full Version : Weight training rep ranges and volume and insulin sensitivity

Frosty
08-17-2009, 10:19 PM
One thing you guys probably see me interested in a lot is insulin sensitivity since I think it's the most important hormone to control for a bodybuilder and even for health. So I was thinking about rep ranges and volume and how it affects insulin sensitivity.

One thing I tend to do is stay to 6 reps or less per set because I tend to do well doing this. As a result I tend to ignore higher reps. Recently I've started to do 5x12 and it's embarrassing how light the weights are in order for me to even come close to completing this. For example for bench I have to go all the way to 135 in order to do this, and even at that my muscles are giving up on the last set at 8 reps. It's clearly not a strength issue because I'm sure I can do way over 20 reps with 135 since that's normally a starting warm-up weight.

So anyway I was thinking is it a bad thing in terms of insulin sensitivity to ignore higher reps? I would think with the increase in carbohydrate requirements it would drive up insulin sensitivity and glycogen storage, as well as increasing capillary density which would also work to further enhance glucose tolerance. Is there any data out there on anything related to this? Meaning is chronic low rep training a detriment to insulin sensitivity?

Not that I would give up my low rep training since it IS effective, but perhaps add in supplemental higher rep work to enhance insulin sensitivity.

ob205
08-21-2009, 10:14 AM
I think this would depend on the diet. Right now I am on the Metabolic/Anabolic diet and notice that anytime i do anything Higher rep (8-15) i get totally smoked. I believe this is due to the low carb and energy substrates required in that rep range, especially since I feel very strong and no issues when I train in the 4-6 rep range. I have seen many studies about rep ranges and rest intervals effecting GH and Test levels but not insulin. Hopefully, yourself and others will have input on this topic.

Rwdecker
09-20-2009, 12:38 PM
low lactic acid threshold.

also hypertrophy is best in the range of 6 to 12.
after saying that, it would also depend on a person's fiber type or the mixture of fiber types they possess. Higher end of the 6 to 12 would be more beneficial for a higher percentage slow twitch (type 1, red), and lower end of rep range would be more beneficial for a higher percentage of fast twitch (type 2 white) Along with this, the weight should adjust for the rep range. 67% to 70 % 1RM for higher rep range. 75 to 85% 1RM for lower rep range according to NSCA

HeavyDutyGuy
10-28-2009, 04:06 AM
low lactic acid threshold.

also hypertrophy is best in the range of 6 to 12.
after saying that, it would also depend on a person's fiber type or the mixture of fiber types they possess. Higher end of the 6 to 12 would be more beneficial for a higher percentage slow twitch (type 1, red), and lower end of rep range would be more beneficial for a higher percentage of fast twitch (type 2 white) Along with this, the weight should adjust for the rep range. 67% to 70 % 1RM for higher rep range. 75 to 85% 1RM for lower rep range according to NSCA

The one thing left out is that type 1 fibers don't have much capacity for hypertrophy. The type 2 have much greater potential in this regard. Hence, heavy, lower rep training. Not to say ignore higher reps, but rather once a weight allows 12 reps, increase the weight to bring it back down to 6. And repeat.

ArabMuscle
10-28-2009, 01:24 PM
I stopped counting reps and concentrated more on contractions.
I'm a heavy duty 1-2 set guy. Total reps performed are 10+, which means that my muscle fatigued after 6-8 clean reps. The rest are all forced. Then I'd push for partials until I'm totally dead.

Short and Sweet.

freak
10-31-2009, 07:02 PM
im thinking it would have to do more with your actual muscle composition. you've worked in the 6-rep range for a long time so, you will have built up your white muscle fiber composition, which are glycocytic. now that you're working in a higher rep-range, you are recruiting more red muscle fibers (aeorbic), which you have less of due to your training style. i personally think its best to incorporate both med/high-rep ranges and low-rep ranges in the same workouts.