PDA

View Full Version : Low Estrogen Levels

alicia...
08-18-2009, 07:17 PM
For the past 4 years I've been experiencing little to no sex drive, major fatigue and overall lack of interest in anything. My family doctor wrote it off as depression and put me on Celexa. 3 years went by and I still had no sex drive but had a better outlook on life so I brought this up with my doctor and all he had to say was "up the dose of Celexa". It wasn't until I met my boyfriend who is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to hormones/steroids that made me think maybe there was something wrong in that area. It took awhile (8 doctors) but I finally found a doctor willing to listen, and test my hormones levels. 3 days after having the tests done I got a call from my new doctor saying that everything came back normal (test,thyroid,progesterone, etc) except my estradiol, which is only at sitting at 17 (normal range is 300-2500)!! She has since reffered me to an endocrinologist and I'm currently on a wait list of 4-5 months. I've been on birthcontrol for about 8 years (yasmine) and just recently switched to Diane in hopes to raise my estrogen. I have also been diagnoised with endometriosis and I'm not sure if this has any impact on hormone levels?Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this that could possibly shed some light on my situation?!

~gymdiva~
08-18-2009, 07:20 PM
I'll let the better experts weigh in but there's definitely going to be a conflict of interest on the raising of estrogen and the endo problems...

alicia...
08-18-2009, 07:53 PM
I take my bc for 3-4 consecutive months (recommendation of my doctor) to help deminish the sides of my endo (severe cramping, migraines, cysts, etc). Atleast every 4 months I stop taking the pill for the 7 days and get my period. Could the way I take my bc effect my hormone levels?

musclemilf
08-18-2009, 07:55 PM
For the past 4 years I've been experiencing little to no sex drive, major fatigue and overall lack of interest in anything. My family doctor wrote it off as depression and put me on Celexa. 3 years went by and I still had no sex drive but had a better outlook on life so I brought this up with my doctor and all he had to say was "up the dose of Celexa". It wasn't until I met my boyfriend who is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to hormones/steroids that made me think maybe there was something wrong in that area. It took awhile (8 doctors) but I finally found a doctor willing to listen, and test my hormones levels. 3 days after having the tests done I got a call from my new doctor saying that everything came back normal (test,thyroid,progesterone, etc) except my estradiol, which is only at sitting at 17 (normal range is 300-2500)!! She has since reffered me to an endocrinologist and I'm currently on a wait list of 4-5 months. I've been on birthcontrol for about 8 years (yasmine) and just recently switched to Diane in hopes to raise my estrogen. I have also been diagnoised with endometriosis and I'm not sure if this has any impact on hormone levels?Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this that could possibly shed some light on my situation?!

May I ask how old you are? Sorry, I can't see your pic very well. I went through full blown menopause at 45 (I'm 47), which is why I ask. I had severe peri symptoms for 8 years prior to my last period in 2007. My doctor kept telling me I was too young and it was all in my head, so she prescibed Paxil and later Celexa (I gained a ton of weight from the ADs).

Just curious about your age.

alicia...
08-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I'll be 22 in November....

musclemilf
08-18-2009, 08:00 PM
I'll be 22 in November....

Ah, given your age, then you might have other things going on. Is there anyway you could move up your endocrinologist appt or find another one? It has to be stressful to have wait 5 months for an answer.

Maybe the other ladies could answer you about BCPs. I had a tubal at 27, so I don't have much experience with BCP.

alicia...
08-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Unfortunately because there are only 2 Hormone Replacement Endo's in BC and Alberta (from what i've found) I have no choice but to wait. Before I recieved my levels I was planning on competing in April and June of 2010 but obviously if I haven't gotten to the bottom of my situation that wont be happening....I'm desperate to resolve this ASAP!