PDA

View Full Version : Testosterone + AI vs. testosterone on its own

runswithwolves
08-19-2009, 01:09 AM
I'll be honest: I'm an FtM transsexual currently in transition, not a bodybuilder (despite my addiction to strength training and exercise in general). I'm frustrated with the medical community and have some questions I'm hoping you guys will bother help me with... even after combing the archives and learning quite a bit.

Just in case anyone isn't familiar: when you're transitioning, it takes several months of being on testosterone before your T levels are high enough to make your ovaries atrophy/suppress estrogen. UP UNTIL that point, most (or all?) actually experience INCREASES in estrogen levels. (My body in particular has begun expressing this. NOT GOOD.)

Where do you suppose that comes from? I'm thinking it's either:
1) aromatization*
2) the ovaries "fighting" to keep the body in homeostasis

And would you assume that because I have high estrogen to begin with (which I do), my body is "fighting" it especially hard? I think it's a possibility, if only because of this: after an hysterectomy with oophorectomy, an FtM only needs about half the dosage of testosterone that they were taking before, because it no longer has to compete with estrogen. Anyway, I ask all of this because I'm trying to decide if I might start taking an AI in addition to testosterone. OR is there something else I should consider? Any help would be appreciated.

*I don't know exactly what kind of testosterone I'm taking, or if it aromatizes, no one told me any of this; planning to ask the doc next time i speak to him. But the point is there's a possibility that it does.

Sistersteel
08-19-2009, 02:08 AM
For starters, how could you not know what type of test you are on?
How often are you taking it? What dosage?

Are you pre menopause? Pre menopausal women have functional ovaries that will continue to produce estrogen.

Testosterone certainly does aromatize and an AI is necessary to counter that.

On a side note, transitioning is certainly not something you should be trying to do without the supervision of a qualified endocrinologist.

If you do not mind me asking...why did you choose a muscle board to make such an inquiry. Please do not take offense to this question, but I could not help asking considering you mentioned you were not a bodybuilder but rather a fitness enthusiast.
So pardon my curiosity.

SS

sassy69
08-19-2009, 02:15 AM
What test are you taking? I.e. what does it say on the bottle? You are injecting it?

runswithwolves
08-19-2009, 02:29 AM
sister steel -
I am actually doing this through an endo, however, from my personal experience most doctors (even the trans-competent ones) treat patients like morons and do not really keep them well-informed. I never, ever get the full story from doctors even when I press them for answers... hence the frustration with the medical community. I am pre-menopausal, which is why I'm concerned that the extra estrogen might be being produced by my ovaries. I'm asking this here because I've learned A LOT about testosterone, anti-estrogens, and endocrinology in general from sports nutritionists and bodybuilding communities - a lot more than I have from the transgender community. For the most part, the transgender community doesn't concern itself with such things, their approach is just "inject this in increasing amounts until your period goes away." And if you ask them about anti-estrogens they'll say don't bother, those are for post-menopausal women. It's frustrating.

sassy -
it's a transdermal 5% cream, i am on a moderate dose. (moderate, not low.)

Sistersteel
08-19-2009, 02:56 AM
sister steel -
I am actually doing this through an endo, however, from my personal experience most doctors (even the trans-competent ones) treat patients like morons and do not really keep them well-informed. I never, ever get the full story from doctors even when I press them for answers... hence the frustration with the medical community. I am pre-menopausal, which is why I'm concerned that the extra estrogen might be being produced by my ovaries. I'm asking this here because I've learned A LOT about testosterone, anti-estrogens, and endocrinology in general from sports nutritionists and bodybuilding communities - a lot more than I have from the transgender community. For the most part, the transgender community doesn't concern itself with such things, their approach is just "inject this in increasing amounts until your period goes away." And if you ask them about anti-estrogens they'll say don't bother, those are for post-menopausal women. It's frustrating.

sassy -
it's a transdermal 5% cream, i am on a moderate dose. (moderate, not low.)

A transdermal cream prescribed for a transition?? 5%?? I regret to inform you that its your endo who's the moron here. PM me, I will put you in touch with someone very dear to me...who will steer you in the right direction.

sassy69
08-19-2009, 07:28 PM
A transdermal cream prescribed for a transition?? 5%?? I regret to inform you that its your endo who's the moron here. PM me, I will put you in touch with someone very dear to me...who will steer you in the right direction.

^^ talk to the Sistah!

5% transdermal cream (Androgel or Testim most likely) is about the same as treatment for low libido for your standard female I'm going to guess....

ValentineA
01-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Im ftm too.. If you go to right dosage it wont convert much to estrogen. Im injecting my self weekly. The dosage are variable to eAch person. There are ftm who inject her self weekly/2/3/4Week for 1 injection. Your transdermal dosage is very low. Most of doctors advice testosterone injection than other choices such as trans gel/androgel/cream/oral. In which country do you live?