PDA

View Full Version : hey sistersteel and brother iron

marcusmucheck
08-20-2009, 09:28 AM
do you deadlift? if so, how?

my clean pull is much different than my deadlift.

just wondering how you would work them in to maintain them while training primarily for weightlifting.

BrotherIron
08-20-2009, 09:45 PM
do you deadlift? if so, how?

my clean pull is much different than my deadlift.

just wondering how you would work them in to maintain them while training primarily for weightlifting.

Yes, I deadlift. It's actually one my favorite exercises. Remember I don't train primarily for oly lifting. My training is a compilation of SM, Oly lifting, and PL. If my shoulder ever gets the full ROM back I will do more Oly Lifting and less of SM and PL.

What I do for them is put them as my first exercise for back. For example; currently my back day is like this: Deadlift + Chain, Clean Pulls from Hang, Bent Over Rows, Squat Good Morning Combo, Face Pulls, and Sled Pulls.

Sistersteel
08-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Olympic style is my primary. Indeed I am a deadlifting whore. lol I use the exact same grip and stance as I do on my clean. Works like a charm. :)

SS

HammerStrength12
08-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Surely it's gotta be a little different right? For PL, I like keeping the hips high and shoulder blades over the bar, but whenever you see a weightlifter attempt a clean, he always gets really low/shoulders more forward. Does a starting with a lower hip position somehow make the second pull of a clean more effective? I don't really understand how it would carry over since the first pull is supposed to be relatively slow.

Anyway, I'm sorta curious myself why the setup for the first pull of a clean is different from a deadlift.

Sistersteel
08-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Surely it's gotta be a little different right? For PL, I like keeping the hips high and shoulder blades over the bar, but whenever you see a weightlifter attempt a clean, he always gets really low/shoulders more forward. Does a starting with a lower hip position somehow make the second pull of a clean more effective? I don't really understand how it would carry over since the first pull is supposed to be relatively slow.

Anyway, I'm sorta curious myself why the setup for the first pull of a clean is different from a deadlift.

Not all weightlifters have a very low starting position. Just as long as the angle of the back does not change from the minute you separate the bar from the platform to the minute it gets to the knees in preparation for the second pull, you can very much execute either a clean or a deadlift using that exact same approach. Shoulders are always over the bar in both lifts anyway. When the bar leaves the platform I focus on keeping my back perfectly arched and tight. Thinking that I am about to clean the weight rather than deadlift it helps me drive through my heels relying on my legs for the first pull and my back for the second. I have a bad lower back but my first pull is so flawless, I can literally pull 200+kg off the floor with absolutely no discomfort or belt.

So the shoulders do not necessarily need to move forward persay if you are already well over the bar from startup. The bar and the shoulders can be aligned perfectly or the shoulders could be slightly forward. Either way, you can hit a good lift if the motion is controled off the floor and the path of the bar is a straight line.

Hip positioning on the startup does not have so much to do with the efficiency of executing the second pull as much as it does with the first. If you mess up the first pull, you are missing the lift guaranteed. The first pull is the MOST important part of the lift. You hit that right, then you are perfectly positioned for the second pull when the bar gets to the knees...from there on the bar moves faster than you can actually think about it.

My set up for the first pull is exactly the same as my dead and I have a relatively low startup position with shoulders slightly over the bar.

SS

BrotherIron
08-20-2009, 10:55 PM
If your starting position is with your hips high than you are performing a RDL more so than a traditional/conventional deadlift.

HammerStrength12
08-21-2009, 08:59 PM
If you mess up the first pull, you are missing the lift guaranteed. The first pull is the MOST important part of the lift. You hit that right, then you are perfectly positioned for the second pull when the bar gets to the knees...from there on the bar moves faster than you can actually think about it.

My set up for the first pull is exactly the same as my dead and I have a relatively low startup position with shoulders slightly over the bar.

SS

Interesting. Maybe that's why I hang clean more weight than I do off the ground...

BrotherIron
08-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Interesting. Maybe that's why I hang clean more weight than I do off the ground...

That would be the reason why you can hang clean more than clean from the floor. Your start position isn't correct. I would suggest working on the first pull. Get in position, slowly bring the bar to knees, hold, than lower. These Static Holds will do you alot of good imho.