PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Potato! Help!

Sliced N Diced
08-23-2009, 07:48 PM
How do you cook your sweet potatos? (Yams)....If I bake them will they get hard if I refridgorate them?

SlimTim
08-23-2009, 08:34 PM
I bake or boil them, but 90 percent of the time I slice them into wedges and bake them. They refrigerate fine after baking or boiling and don't get hard at all.

Sliced N Diced
08-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Perfect, thanks brother! Do you wrap them in foil when you bake them?

SlimTim
08-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Perfect, thanks brother! Do you wrap them in foil when you bake them?

Nope, I just cut them into wedges, put them in a bowl, put some olive oil and some spices on them and then spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake them, just like french fries

TigerUpperCut
08-23-2009, 11:14 PM
nuke it

jack08son
08-23-2009, 11:19 PM
throw them in the oven at 400 for about an hour...no foil, they'll cook fine and taste great warmed up in the microwave a day later

Bolan
08-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Nope, I just cut them into wedges, put them in a bowl, put some olive oil and some spices on them and then spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake them, just like french fries

Thats the way i like em too.....Good stuff!

ReneeK
08-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Try mashing them, they are great with a little spray butter!

figurebre
09-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Get the pre wrapped kind. microwave 5 minutes. VOILA

troutman18
09-07-2009, 11:28 PM
you can wet them and then wrap them in a paper towel and put them in the microwave for 4-6 min depending on the size...works great especially for on the go.

neofarq
09-11-2009, 11:12 AM
I would try and avoid nuking them in plastic shrink wrap. Have any of you guys heard that when plastic is heated up it releases carcinogens into your food? Not sure if there is actuallyt scientific evidence to back it up but the idea of super heated plastic in contact w/ my food doesn't seem healthy.

I switched from using plastic tuperware containers to glass pyrex ones b/c of it. Evan Centopani eats all his food out of glass dishes b/c of this as well. There's an MD vid where he talks about it, "Evans off-season Meals" or something......

Anyways, off season I like making the sweet potatoe fries in th oven, cut into strips and mix with olive oil, chili powder and garlic salt. 45 minutes at 450 and ur good.

During contest prep I steam them. Some rice cookers (i.e., cuisinart brand) have a steaming attachment that shits on top of the rice pot, works super good and quick!

Ironguru
09-13-2009, 09:32 PM
There are quite a bit of things you can do with sweet potatoes: you can boil them, fry them or bake them in the oven. They are quite large and a lot of them can be awkward shaped if you buy the "raw" yams so for me, I would probably bake them. The only thing is that it might take a bit to cookso it will take a little advanced planing. But cut them into quarters, season with a little salt and pepper, throw some olive oil on them and some other seasoning (there is quite a bit you can choose from depending on what you like but coriander is good), bake for about 30-45 minutes at about 400 F. Things should be good.

JAR OF NATTY
09-14-2009, 12:37 AM
i throw the yam or sweet potato in the microwave, always works out fine cause im on the run. but they are my fav carbs nothin beats a yam with a lil non fat butter n cinnamon.

Discipline
09-14-2009, 09:41 AM
I use to cut them into piece's and boil them. Then I'd smash them, add cinnamon and maybe some Splenda.

neofarq
09-15-2009, 11:02 AM
When Sweet Potatoe baby food is on sale I usually stock up on it. It tastes great by itself and there is no measuring or weighing involved since it has the nutrition facts posted on the back.

It also makes a great addition to plain old oatmeal as well!!

cobra
09-16-2009, 05:39 PM
I would try and avoid nuking them in plastic shrink wrap. Have any of you guys heard that when plastic is heated up it releases carcinogens into your food? Not sure if there is actuallyt scientific evidence to back it up but the idea of super heated plastic in contact w/ my food doesn't seem healthy.

I switched from using plastic tuperware containers to glass pyrex ones b/c of it. Evan Centopani eats all his food out of glass dishes b/c of this as well. There's an MD vid where he talks about it, "Evans off-season Meals" or something......

Anyways, off season I like making the sweet potatoe fries in th oven, cut into strips and mix with olive oil, chili powder and garlic salt. 45 minutes at 450 and ur good.

During contest prep I steam them. Some rice cookers (i.e., cuisinart brand) have a steaming attachment that shits on top of the rice pot, works super good and quick!

This burnt them the fuck up! And I had it on 400!

figurebre
09-16-2009, 11:49 PM
This burnt them the fuck up! And I had it on 400!

that what u get for taking a mans advice on cooking. :p

neofarq
09-17-2009, 12:48 PM
I had em in there for actually like 55 minutes at 450, did u have the oven on convection????

Maybe my oven is a POS?

Anyways sorry for filling ur kitchen with sweet potatoe smoke!!! U gotta watch em though!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Watch it Figurebre!!! Sidenote: I have had numerous requests from females to make my sweet potatoe fries and protein pancakes....... The pancakes among other things ;-) leave good impressions in the morning!!!!!

muscleboi
09-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Get the pre wrapped kind. microwave 5 minutes. VOILA
bre is this how you cook for your man? lol j/k

these are awesome with some brown sugar and butter! :yep: