PDA

View Full Version : Severe PMS: antidepressants vs testosterone therapy

stl50
08-24-2009, 10:12 PM
I had my tubes tied several years ago (at 30, no kids, and knew i didn't want any...got tired of being on the pill), and about a year later my pms went into hyperdrive. My moodswings got so bad I'd break out into tears over a stupid commercial, and then ten minutes later felt like ripping someone's head off...i mean, i can deal with the physical issues like cramping and bloating, but not the psycho moodswings. It also seemed to last longer as well, from several days to two weeks (pretty much sums up why i was single, lol).

About five months ago i reported this problem to my dr., and she put me on an anti-depressant. i'm not one to take prescription meds, but i figured it could help for awhile. now it seems to be affecting my libido (i almost feel numb mentally, and have little or no sex drive...not good, not good at all).

i would really like to get off the prescription meds, and was wondering if testosterone therapy is worthwhile alternative? something otc like tribulus as a supplement (safe for women?). i dont want to be on meds forever...

any help, experiences would be great! thanks in advance

musclemilf
08-24-2009, 10:36 PM
I had my tubes tied several years ago (at 30, no kids, and knew i didn't want any...got tired of being on the pill), and about a year later my pms went into hyperdrive. My moodswings got so bad I'd break out into tears over a stupid commercial, and then ten minutes later felt like ripping someone's head off...i mean, i can deal with the physical issues like cramping and bloating, but not the psycho moodswings. It also seemed to last longer as well, from several days to two weeks (pretty much sums up why i was single, lol).

About five months ago i reported this problem to my dr., and she put me on an anti-depressant. i'm not one to take prescription meds, but i figured it could help for awhile. now it seems to be affecting my libido (i almost feel numb mentally, and have little or no sex drive...not good, not good at all).

i would really like to get off the prescription meds, and was wondering if testosterone therapy is worthwhile alternative? something otc like tribulus as a supplement (safe for women?). i dont want to be on meds forever...

any help, experiences would be great! thanks in advance

May I ask how old you are? If you're nearing 40 or slightly over 40, you could very well be going through perimenopause.

Peri made me a psychotic b#tch for several years until my periods stopped. Perimenopause is difficult to detect on a hormone panel because your hormones could be normal one week and whacked the following week. Too many doctors shove antidepressants down women's throats instead of delving into the real issue. I was given antidepressants for the very issue you described plus I had daily panic attacks. The ADs worked great but I became FAT, which didn't bode well for someone who has always been fit trim for most of their life.

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but it pisses me off to hear about doctors treating women's hormonal issues with antidepressants instead of getting to the core of the problem....hormones! When you as a patient understand and have this knowledge, the more empowered you will become to make the right choices regarding your health.

I hope you feel better soon.

Ok, rant off.

sassy69
08-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Did your doc bother to test all your hormone levels? And if not, I'd ask WHY THE FUCK NOT??? I'd start there first and just say NO to the anti-Ds.

I'm also not a big fan of self-medicating w/ hormones when trying to "fix" other issues. I've heard of people having amazing levels of depression from an imbalance in their progesterone levels as well so it just estro & test. Its not rocket science but it does deserve some attention by a doc.

stl50
08-25-2009, 03:21 AM
I'm only 33, which is why i'm confused about my hormones going whacky all of the sudden. I went off the pill about six months before the surgery (had the essure implants put in and love them...), and felt great. My pms was managable and my period came back within two months.

I, like you, and not a fan of anti-depressants, all they do is mask/numb the real issue. at the time i was desperate, and i guess the "quick fix" seemed ok. there has to be a reason for my hormones to be in flux, and of course my dr DIDNT test my hormone levels, that would actually require taking some time and looking into the REAL problem.

i appreciate the rant though, makes me mad too, although now i realize that I need to take control of my dr visit and demand she test my hormones! makes a lot more sense to know the hormone levels im starting at than to try and self medica

tight booty
08-25-2009, 09:12 AM
I had my pap smear today and I asked the doctor about PMS because my PMS has been lasting for 10-12 days lately and it's just horrible. He said if you are getting a regular period then its not menapause. I get mine every 26-28 days like clock work. He suggested anti depressants but I am not depressed and to be honest, I am only affected mentally for about 2 days when my PMS first commences. I think its when horomones swing into drive because I can feel the changes in my body. But its the bloating and pain and how its affecting my training that concerns me. So obviously I don't need PMS for my moods etc. I am currently taking vitamin B and told him this, but he said it only does so much. He didn't really say anything else...I think he was too busy doing my pap smear...haha I just bombarded him with these questions because its been driving me crazy.

musclemilf
08-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Ditto to Sassy's reply.

You should get a full examination by your gyno, including an ultrasound to check for fibroids which can cause heavy bleeding.

I had a tubal ligation at 27 (3 children was enough, thank you very much) which seemed to have changed my periods up until my mid 30's, then I went into peri and then full menopause at 45. I have no conclusive evidence that my tubal sent me into early menopause, but if you google tubal ligation and menopause, you'll see some interesting write ups.

Incidently, , menopause is not a "flipped switch" in most women. Women go through a slow decline of hormone levels over a period of time (several years) until periods cease. During the period of declining hormone levels, women will still have regular periods and can also troublesome symptoms such as weight gain, depression, anxiety, hot flashes, hair loss, dry skin, loss of sex drive, etc. The problem is there are alot of doctors out there that will not acknowledge perimenopause and will unfortunately prescribe antidepressants stating that your symptoms are "all in your head".