PDA

View Full Version : Question about the best time to take supplements...

MusclesMarinara
08-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Hey guys ive changed my diet to daves offseason mass diet and ive added some new supplements as well. i was wondering the the best time to take them...

*ZMA?
*BCAAs?(im using leucine 4:1:1 from TP.com)
*Beta Alananie i was told take 5g pre and post on training days and spread it throughout the day on non traning

Thanks for the help!:yep:

SlimTim
08-25-2009, 12:59 AM
ZMA should be taken 30 minutes to an hour before bed preferrably on an empty stomach and definately with no calcium as it competes with ZMA for absorbtion. BCAA's are best taken pre and post workout, in varying dosages based on your needs, 5-10g pre and post workout is a common dosage, if you are using it with whey, if you are not using whey a higher dosage around 20-30g post workout would be warranted. You can also take a dose of BCAA's as soon as you wake up to break the catabolism of sleep quickly, 5g while you make your breakfast would be fine for that. And the beta alanine can be taken as you said 3-5g pre and post workout.

NATURAL-1987
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
ZMA should be taken 30 minutes to an hour before bed preferrably on an empty stomach and definately with no calcium as it competes with ZMA for absorbtion. BCAA's are best taken pre and post workout, in varying dosages based on your needs, 5-10g pre and post workout is a common dosage, if you are using it with whey, if you are not using whey a higher dosage around 20-30g post workout would be warranted. You can also take a dose of BCAA's as soon as you wake up to break the catabolism of sleep quickly, 5g while you make your breakfast would be fine for that. And the beta alanine can be taken as you said 3-5g pre and post workout.

My fellow canadian hits the nail on the head with all 3.:yep:

MusclesMarinara
08-25-2009, 02:11 PM

Thanks a lot man!

MusclesMarinara
08-25-2009, 02:57 PM
How does this look...

Creatine monohydrate
Training days
5g wake up
5g preworkout
5g postworkout

Nontraining days
5g wake up
10g with shake (meal 3 of 5)

BCAAs
Training days
5g wake up
10g preworkout
5g postworkout

Nontraining days
5g wake up
10g with shake (meal 3)

Whey protein isolate
Training days
50g preworkout
50g postworkout

Nontraining days
60g with shake (meal 3)

Waxy maize
Training days
40g preworkout
40g postworkout

Nontraining days
40g with shake(meal 3)

ZMA
30 min before bed everynight

Beta alanine
Training days
5g preworkout
5g postworkout

Nontraining days
10g spread out through day

L glutamine
Training days
5g postworkout
5g with first whole food meal postworkout

Nontraining days
5g with shake (meal 3)

**on training days I eat 6 meals, 4 food 2 shakes
Nontraining 5 meals, 4 food 1 shake

SlimTim
08-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Looks good bro, the only thing I might change is the creatine mono dosage, you only need 10g per day, 5g pre and post workout, you can skip the morning dosage, its necessary and will save u some cash. Also I would keep your meals at 6 on your non training days, those rest days are when you recover and grow, so you should make sure you are taking in enough quality protein to maximize those days.

MusclesMarinara
08-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Looks good bro, the only thing I might change is the creatine mono dosage, you only need 10g per day, 5g pre and post workout, you can skip the morning dosage, its necessary and will save u some cash. Also I would keep your meals at 6 on your non training days, those rest days are when you recover and grow, so you should make sure you are taking in enough quality protein to maximize those days.

so keep the 2 shakes that i take pre and post workout just spread them apart? im doing a diet very similar to daves offseason diet.

1. egg/oatmeal
2. preworkout shake
3. postworkout shake
4. chicken meal
5. red meat meal
6. chicken meal

SlimTim
08-25-2009, 06:44 PM
so keep the 2 shakes that i take pre and post workout just spread them apart? im doing a diet very similar to daves offseason diet.

1. egg/oatmeal
2. preworkout shake
3. postworkout shake
4. chicken meal
5. red meat meal
6. chicken meal

On your off days just drink those shakes as meals with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter or 1/3 of a cup of almonds.

DAVIDHARDY
08-26-2009, 08:29 AM

1. egg/oatmeal
2. preworkout shake
3. postworkout shake
4. chicken meal
5. red meat meal
6. chicken meal

When I'm not dieting, on my off days, I don't drink shakes. Not being a dick here, but if you can afford to, just replace the shakes with some food. I do it just because I love to eat lol.

MusclesMarinara
08-26-2009, 01:29 PM
When I'm not dieting, on my off days, I don't drink shakes. Not being a dick here, but if you can afford to, just replace the shakes with some food. I do it just because I love to eat lol.

So instead of the two shakes would you do 1 egg 3 chicken 2 red meat meals?

fitcorps
08-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Hey guys ive changed my diet to daves offseason mass diet and ive added some new supplements as well. i was wondering the the best time to take them...

*ZMA?
*BCAAs?(im using leucine 4:1:1 from TP.com)
*Beta Alananie i was told take 5g pre and post on training days and spread it throughout the day on non traning

Thanks for the help!:yep:

This is what I would do:

-ZMA - 30-min before my last meal. I'd eat then head straight to bed OR, I'd take it at least 1 hour after my last meal. I'd HIGHLY suggest switching to a complete Chelated mineral formulat though like CMZ.

-BCAA - First thing in the morning on an empty stomach
20-30 minutes before meals as many times a day as you want
sip 10-20 grams starting 15-minutes before your workout, through your workout, and finishing 5-10 mintues before the end of your workout

-BA - 1 Gram 1st thing in AM; 2 grams pre training; 2 grams during training

fitcorps
08-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Also, try to avoid taking your bcaa's with foods or shakes. Try to have about 90-minutes between eating and consuming BCAA and another 20-30 minutes before eating animal protein/having a shake. You'll get much better use from free form aminos when they are taken on an empty or relatively empty stomach.

fitcorps
08-26-2009, 02:52 PM

I like this advice as well. I'm not a shake guy. I do use shakes pre and post workout for quick delivery of nutrients, but I do it a little different.

I have a shake 75-minutes before I train with 7-14 grams of EFA's. 15-20 minutes before I train I have ab out 5 grams BCAA. During training I consume 10-15 grams BCAA/EAA mix. Post workout I have 20-40 grams WMS or Vitargo with another 5 grams BCAA. Then, 30-min after that I have 20 Grams Whey Protein, 6 Egg Whites, & another 40 Grams of Low GI carbs.

MusclesMarinara
08-26-2009, 04:42 PM
All you guys are nattys right?

fitcorps
08-26-2009, 07:28 PM
I am a natural pro. But, why may I ask would "most" supplement timing be any different for a natty and an enhanced athlete?

NATURAL-1987
08-27-2009, 12:07 PM
I am a natural pro. But, why may I ask would "most" supplement timing be any different for a natty and an enhanced athlete?
fitcorps knows his stufff. I agree with him.especially with the supplements that are being talked about.

MusclesMarinara
08-27-2009, 12:12 PM

I have no idea, I know nothing about chem enhancement. Just wanted to be sure. What does your diet look like if you don't mind me asking. I like the idea of the shakes you take

DAVIDHARDY
08-27-2009, 02:03 PM
So instead of the two shakes would you do 1 egg 3 chicken 2 red meat meals?

All you guys are nattys right?

To be honest with you, I only drink one shake a day in the offseason. I usually mix a couple of scoops of protein in some yogurt and drink it as soon as I'm done working out and then eat about 30 min later. Usually some chicken and rice for the next meal. I'll eat a steak and some rice or a potato about an hour before I workout and sip on 10g BCAAs during the workout. I usually eat at least a pound of beef a day in the offseason and a pound of chicken as well. I'll eat 6 eggs in the morning when I wake up sith some oatmeal. I eat every 2-3 hours in the offseason, but I never really plan out my meals. I'll carry something with me, but I'll go out and eat if I want to. I'm really laid back in the offseason as you can tell, but I do make sure that I get that shake in post workout, BCAAs during the workout, a red meat meal preworkout, my eggs 1st thing in the morning, and a cup or so of cottage cheese right before I go to bed. The other meals are pretty much go as I feel, but I usually eat 8-9 times a day. And, yes, I'm a natty as well.

MusclesMarinara
08-27-2009, 03:30 PM
8 or 9 times? Lol that's a lot of food lol I love to eat but I dunoo if I could do that

fitcorps
08-27-2009, 03:53 PM
I have no idea, I know nothing about chem enhancement. Just wanted to be sure. What does your diet look like if you don't mind me asking. I like the idea of the shakes you take

OK. Just asking.

As far as my diet, I'm a moderate carb, high protein, low-moderate fat (mostly from EFAs) kind of guy. When I'm bulking I stay around 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight, sometimes getting as high as 2 if I need to, but not often. For carbs, I go 1-1.5 grams per pound of body weight on training days and .5-.75 grams on of days. I let fat fall where it's going to in the off season. Most of my protein is egg whites, chicken, protein shakes (pre and post), extra lean beef, ground turkey, etc... I'll have a few egg yolks and 1 beef meal per day in the off season and then on top of that I add in EFA's to my meals that do NOT include carbs (usually my pre workout meal and my last meal).

During prep, I lower carbs starting about 1 gram per pound of body weight on trainign days and 1/2 gram/pound on off days. Protein stays around 1.5 grams/pound and I limit my fat to 1 beef meal on training days and added EFA's to my non carb meals. I start off having 4 carb meals (meals 1, 2, 4 - post workout, & 5). I lower carbs week by week depending on conditioning until I get to the point where I have carbs only with breakfast and post workout on trainign days and with meal 1 and possibly 2 on non training days.

DAVIDHARDY
08-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Hell yeah man, I throw down lol. I got pretty fat this offserason though, so I'm really gonna watch my carbs next time. My thing is that I love fried chicken by the bucket and I love McDonalds burgers by the sack full lol. It's not that hard for me to eat that much, it's only 6 sometimes 7 whole food meals a day plus the shake and cottage cheese. I'm actrually going to try a CKD to bulk next year, so maybe I won't get so damn fat this time around. Good luck man.

MusclesMarinara
08-27-2009, 06:14 PM
fitcorps,

before you said take 10-20g BCAA starting 15 min preworkout and finish 15 min before the end of the workout. i take a preworkout shake so how would i work that around since you said i should take the bcaas 20 min before or 90 min after any meal or shake?

also you said a total of 5g of beta alanine, i was told to take at least 10g?

This is what i was thinking as far as my diet went. I appreciate all your advice, as well as everyone else.

TRAINING DAYS

MEAL 1: 5 whole omega-3 eggs, 1 cup oatmeal

MEAL 2: Preworkout Shake

MEAL 3: Postworkout Shake

MEAL 4: 8oz chicken, ½ cup cashews or almonds, 1 cup brown rice

MEAL 5: 8oz red meat, salad with 2 TBS oil and vinegar, 1 baked potato

MEAL 6: 8oz chicken, ½ cup cashews or almonds, 1 cup brown rice

MEAL 7: 8oz red meat, 1 cup cottage cheese with peaches

NONTRAINING DAYS

MEAL 1: 5 whole omega-3 eggs, 1 cup oatmeal

MEAL 2: 8oz chicken, ½ cup cashews or almonds, 1 cup brown rice

MEAL 3: 8oz red meat, salad with 2 TBS oil and vinegar, 1 baked potato

MEAL 4: 8oz chicken, ½ cup cashews or almonds, 1 cup brown rice

MEAL 5: 8oz red meat, salad with 2 TBS oil and vinegar, 1 baked potato

MEAL 6: 8oz chicken, ½ cup cashews or almonds, 1 cup brown rice

MEAL 7: 8oz red meat, 1 cup cottage cheese with peaches

fitcorps
08-27-2009, 08:34 PM
fitcorps,

before you said take 10-20g BCAA starting 15 min preworkout and finish 15 min before the end of the workout. i take a preworkout shake so how would i work that around since you said i should take the bcaas 20 min before or 90 min after any meal or shake?

also you said a total of 5g of beta alanine, i was told to take at least 10g?

Have your pre workout shake about 75-minutes before you train and then start sipping the BCAA 15-min before you train, OR if you like to have your shake an hour before, just do that and sip the BCAA's as you train. Whey protein is high in BCAA and after an hour you'll have some aminos circulating regardless.

As far as the BA, I think 10 g is overdoing it, but I haven't read all teh research. I've always read, been told, and under the assumption that 3-6 grams is plenty. I use about 3-4 per day and I can tell a difference when I use it and when I don't. Also, I haven't been using BA on off days either or on my Arm days and I can tell a difference on teh days I do use it (Chest/Shoulders, Back, & legs).

MusclesMarinara
08-29-2009, 12:15 PM
thanks for the advice Kyle, ill take everything u said in mind and see how it goes.