PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with pork rinds?

Frosty
08-24-2009, 11:57 PM
They have decent protein content, and they're not missing any amino acids in their profile according to the USDA nutritional database, but the label says "*not a significant source of protein" when I would call 9g per serving pretty good for a snack. I've sorta heard the protein is no good but I can't figure out why. What's the deal??

crashcrew56
08-25-2009, 12:00 AM
That's a good question, I wondered the "not a significant source of protien" line myself. I love pork rinds personally, hopefully someone can sort this out

buster12
08-25-2009, 12:01 AM
That's a good question, I wondered the "not a significant source of protien" line myself. I love pork rinds personally, hopefully someone can sort this out
lol. me too.:drool:

TigerUpperCut
08-25-2009, 12:29 AM
they make ur breath stink, good low carb snack

Dunkelheit23
08-25-2009, 01:00 AM
WTF is a pork rind

Frosty
08-25-2009, 01:03 AM
Fried pork skin.

TigerUpperCut
08-25-2009, 01:03 AM
WTF is a pork rind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_rind

SpeedoGuido
08-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Saw this on another forum:

The type of protein in pork skins is called collagen, the same substance found in hair, fingernails, and horsehooves. Its bio-availability is almost non-existent, hence the statement on the package.

andyb101
08-25-2009, 03:06 AM
WTF is a pork rind

also known as a pork scratchings

Hardly Krishna
08-25-2009, 03:13 AM

The type of protein in pork skins is called collagen, the same substance found in hair, fingernails, and horsehooves. Its bio-availability is almost non-existent, hence the statement on the package.

yeah, its Collagen protein....the same kind of protein thats in those Whey test tube shots you see Legend hocking in the pages of FLEX & MD! Total garb.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_m3HcjW1WqS4/SeTIVSiOvXI/AAAAAAAAAlY/LvafXHz95vQ/s320/IDS-42-allflavor.jpg

Frosty
08-25-2009, 10:42 AM

I'm having trouble finding Biological Value ratings for collagen proteins. Any idea where this info comes from?

Frosty
08-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Actually information I've been finding is suggesting that collagen protein increases the bioavailability of other proteins and enhances growth to an extent. Perhaps snacking on pork rinds with a meat meal would actually enhance growth????

"The influence of connective tissue on the biological value of meat products, manufactured from hashed meat, was studied in experiments on growing rats. It was shown that collagen level increase from 6.1 to 14.5% of the total amount of meat proteins improved the growth-mass characteristics of the animals. The actual biological value and the absolute protein utilization had a tendency to lowering, although the difference was not statistically significant. At the same time the effectiveness of tissue protein biosynthesis was not lowered. A conclusion has been made that the results of animal experiments correlate with the clinical data on the positive effect of the increase up to 15% (by protein) of collagen content on the anabolic action of hashed meat protein in humans. A further increase of the connective tissue amount leads to its diminished biological value."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2293453

irishmuscle
08-25-2009, 11:41 AM
also known as a pork scratchings
but aren't pork scratchings also known as bacon fries,like u would buy in a pub?

Scottish Muscle
08-25-2009, 12:16 PM
but aren't pork scratchings also known as bacon fries,like u would buy in a pub?

Hmm I remember them, the ones I had were more like crisps, but they did have hard crunchier parts in them, all I remember is they were very very salty and probably had more carbs than the ones in the states, like the beef jerky we get here has more carbs than you would think.

John Romano
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
they're crunchy! Keto diets lack much with crunch. Pork rinds are a great little snack food for no carb eaters - just so long as you don't eat too many!

~Maz~
08-25-2009, 12:40 PM

You can buy Mr Porky - Prime Cut Scratchings in Tesco over here in the UK, they are basically the same but i don't know how they compare to the ones in the US. They are nothing like the Bacon Fries you get in the pub though lol .... are you thinking of the crisps that are sold beside the Scampi Fries and KP Dry Roasted Nuts??

Or for a treat why not try Mr Brains Pork Faggots (No i'm not making this up!!):puke:

http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/5/xpi50150805.htm

irishmuscle
08-25-2009, 12:46 PM
yea MAZ.thats exactly wat im thinkin of...... mr brains pork faggots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you cant be serious,how funny would it be to ask for them in shop

~Maz~
08-25-2009, 12:49 PM
I seen them in the freezer at Tesco and burst out laughing in the shop!! I thought no WAY!! But the lady who worked there said they were quite nice ... i still couldn't make myself buy them though :lmao:

irishmuscle
08-25-2009, 12:56 PM
I seen them in the freezer at Tesco and burst out laughing in the shop!! I thought no WAY!! But the lady who worked there said they were quite nice ... i still couldn't make myself buy them though :lmao:
im defo goin lookin for them in tesco,in the freezer you say,just saying mr brains pork faggots makes me laugh,imature i know but i cant help it

jbruno7272
08-25-2009, 01:04 PM
yeah, its Collagen protein....the same kind of protein thats in those Whey test tube shots you see Legend hocking in the pages of FLEX & MD! Total garb.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_m3HcjW1WqS4/SeTIVSiOvXI/AAAAAAAAAlY/LvafXHz95vQ/s320/IDS-42-allflavor.jpg
Funny. A guy at my gym drinks these while working out and I saw a woman ask what was that with a strange look on her face. They do have an odd shape.

snu183
08-25-2009, 05:22 PM
they're crunchy! Keto diets lack much with crunch. Pork rinds are a great little snack food for no carb eaters - just so long as you don't eat too many!

thats the problem, once u start u cant stop or u get that nasty after taste.

Karuk
08-25-2009, 06:53 PM

My girl calls these the dildo protein

GENESIS
08-25-2009, 07:00 PM
collagen protein lacks tryptophan (i believe).

and those new wheys were meant to double as a dildo when the contents are gone

GENESIS
08-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Fried pork skin. also, if its fried, i wouldnt eat it.. bad fats....

Shadow
08-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I love pork rinds. Fuck, now I wanna go buy a bag...

Diggy
08-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Am I the only one that heard Jerry Seindfeld's voice while reading the title

Peaceful28
08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Throw a little cheese on them and call them keto nachos. :p

MDur8
08-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Good idea!

TUFF
08-25-2009, 09:22 PM
may be low carb but the fat source can't be healthy.

John Romano
08-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Throw a little cheese on them and call them keto nachos. :p

LOL... I love how creative you are in the kitchen... Now, what would be for dessert?

Mudpro69
08-25-2009, 09:27 PM
LOL... I love how creative you are in the kitchen... Now, what would be for dessert?

Get a room you two....

Frosty
08-26-2009, 12:36 AM
collagen protein lacks tryptophan (i believe).

and those new wheys were meant to double as a dildo when the contents are gone

From the USDA nutritional database it's showing pretty low tryptophan content, but if the rest of you diet contains normal proteins I'm really not sure how much that would matter. Trying to make complete meals out of pork rinds doesn't sound like a good idea but I don't think anyone is trying to do that. I have to say I'm really unsure of this, but that study mentioning addition of some collagen protein increasing lean tissue weight intrigues me. Perhaps a good snack for gaining mass??? I don't know.

Frosty
08-26-2009, 12:39 AM
also, if its fried, i wouldnt eat it.. bad fats....

I'm in total agreement that this is by far my biggest concern with pork rinds...they're fried. They're fried in their own fat (which is more stable than veggie oil) but still, I'm not a big fan of frying period from a health stand point.

But wouldn't you guys agree that study I posted is at least a tad intriguing?? I wonder why collagen protein would have that effect. Maybe the amino profile? Not sure. It's super high in glycine.

John Romano
08-26-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm in total agreement that this is by far my biggest concern with pork rinds...they're fried. They're fried in their own fat (which is more stable than veggie oil) but still, I'm not a big fan of frying period from a health stand point.

But wouldn't you guys agree that study I posted is at least a tad intriguing?? I wonder why collagen protein would have that effect. Maybe the amino profile? Not sure. It's super high in glycine.

Obviously, Pork rinds are not the ideal food. But, if you're on a keto diet they can keep you sane - in small amounts - when you get a craving for chips or pretzels or anything crunchy. And, yes, the study is intriguing. Enough to bolster my point, i think.

Frosty
08-26-2009, 01:01 AM
Obviously, Pork rinds are not the ideal food. But, if you're on a keto diet they can keep you sane - in small amounts - when you get a craving for chips or pretzels or anything crunchy. And, yes, the study is intriguing. Enough to bolster my point, i think.

Seems like it may be possible for light snacking on pork rinds to be supportive of lean gains. Although the study didn't use collagen in the form of pork rinds so I'm not sure we can jump to that conclusion :)

Frosty
08-26-2009, 01:10 AM
LOL Guys if collagen helps support muscle gain then I have a good idea.....

Make zero carb jello and then top it off with no carb whipped cream!! lol To make the whipped cream just buy heavy whipping cream and add a little vanilla whey protein powder and whip it up with an electric egg beater. No carbs, not high in fat unless you use too much whipped cream....tastes good and might support lean gains :D

But who knows. Sure sounds yummy, though.

B7emm
08-26-2009, 01:20 AM
were do i sign up for taste testing?

Peaceful28
08-26-2009, 02:16 AM

Hmm, your choice! Whatever you want! :p Cookies, blondies, you name it!

yeahbuddy
08-26-2009, 02:36 AM
I can't believe that dildo protein has collagen as the 1st ingredient! What a bunch of crap. I never took them anyways. I had one when we started selling them at my store but it tasted bad and gram for gram, they are expensive as hell. We have a few customers that buy them by the case though.

John Romano
08-26-2009, 03:32 AM
Hmm, your choice! Whatever you want! :p Cookies, blondies, you name it!

I'll take the blonde

freak
08-26-2009, 03:34 AM

the protein in hair, nails and hooves is keratin, not collagen.

John Romano
08-26-2009, 03:34 AM
LOL Guys if collagen helps support muscle gain then I have a good idea.....

Make zero carb jello and then top it off with no carb whipped cream!! lol To make the whipped cream just buy heavy whipping cream and add a little vanilla whey protein powder and whip it up with an electric egg beater. No carbs, not high in fat unless you use too much whipped cream....tastes good and might support lean gains :D

But who knows. Sure sounds yummy, though.

I've used that secret recipe! But i did put some Equal in the whipped cream. So, not totally no carb, but still not enough to blow out of ketosis.

Frosty
08-26-2009, 11:22 AM
I've used that secret recipe! But i did put some Equal in the whipped cream. So, not totally no carb, but still not enough to blow out of ketosis.

Hmm, maybe I just used enough vanilla protein powder to sweeten up the whipped cream. It's good as hell man, and if you whip it up really thick the shit is like cake icing.

fitmomma3
08-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Wasn't collagen (in the form of gelatin) also in Detour bars? junk too. But I thought all the studies that came out then said that since it was an incomplete protein simply mixing it with other protein sources would help to compensate for the amino acid deficiencies. like the idea of mixing rice with beans or peanut butter with wheat bread to make up for amino acid deficiencies and create a total protein meal.

On the site below at Brigham and Womens they actually list claimed benefits from collagen :
Hydrolyzed collagen (http://brighamandwomens.staywellsolutionsonline.com/Library/Glossary.pg?TypeId=18&ContentId=collagen) is claimed to possibly protect the body's lean muscle mass, improve the symptoms of arthritis (http://brighamandwomens.staywellsolutionsonline.com/Library/Glossary.pg?TypeId=18&ContentId=arthritis), encourage the body to burn fat rather than protein and carbohydrates and thus encourage weight loss.

http://brighamandwomens.staywellsolutionsonline.com/RelatedItems/19,HydrolyzedCollagen

fitmomma3
08-27-2009, 08:10 AM
so I'm thinking egg whites and pork rinds and you're good to go lol... I grew up eating them my Dad loves them but haven't had them in years cause they make your breath smell like feet! lol

Dade
08-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Pork rinds are great but really salty.

cobra
08-27-2009, 11:51 AM
I fuckin love em! I've been on Keto for a while now and usually atleast 2-3 times a week have them as one of my fat sources for a chicken meal.

cslim
08-27-2009, 01:01 PM
I LOVE pork rinds! they are a sanity-keeper during keto for sure! not too many, but enough to satisfy that crunchy salty craving!

andyb101
08-27-2009, 01:28 PM
I never thought nutrition data would have the infor on pork skins but here you go.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/snacks/5362/2

Nic Brunicardi
08-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Does any of you pork rind eaters ever experience chest pain when eating them?
I don't mean like a heart attack after emptying the 50th bag - I mean like you sometimes experience with rice?
It's like the gullet cramps up -really annoying.

Frosty
08-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah the really dry brands I get that. You need to chew more and drink water in between lol. El Mexicano brand didn't do that for me and they taste better.

yeahbuddy
08-28-2009, 01:49 AM
the protein in hair, nails and hooves is keratin, not collagen.
True. Collagen is in connective tissue such as tendons and also in skin.

Nic Brunicardi
08-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Yeah the really dry brands I get that. You need to chew more and drink water in between lol. El Mexicano brand didn't do that for me and they taste better.
LOL Well, I guess that's true. Too much munching - don't have time for drinking http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink015.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

ebfitness
08-28-2009, 11:23 AM
That's it...pork rinds for lunch. Mmm...collageny.:drool:

crashcrew56
08-28-2009, 12:21 PM
I'll take the blonde

Get a room you two

crashcrew56
08-28-2009, 12:23 PM
LOL Well, I guess that's true. Too much munching - don't have time for drinking http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink015.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

I'll second that drinking beverages while I'm eating them get in the way of me enjoying their salty goodness