PDA

View Full Version : Low-carb diets 'damage arteries'

The Wolf
08-25-2009, 05:25 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8218780.stm

I was hoping to do low carb again soon as its an easy way to lose weight, thats a bummer for Palumbo fans like me. I guess carbs are still very important, more important than some of us think.

ibizagtd
08-25-2009, 05:57 AM
study on mice?

please have a read here

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2586625

LukaszStrankowski
08-25-2009, 06:04 AM
different web different opinion..

there is alot stuff like that "google" <---

Swede
08-25-2009, 06:05 AM
lol.

One random study and you would stop doing keto?

Not the sharpest tool in the box are you?

Scottish Muscle
08-25-2009, 06:28 AM
lol.

Lmao, It would seem he's the rolling pin in a drawer of knives :yep:

radrmd216
08-25-2009, 06:39 AM
There a few ways to set up a keto diet. The diet in the article posted is not the Palumbo diet. Palumbo never didn'y create a keto diet, but he has made a great version which stresses polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats with very low amounts of saturated fats.

The study is a little bit of a joke. It's obviously not the absense of dietary carbohydrates that cuase the heart problems it's the increase in saturated fats. People have known for a little while now that saturated fats cause heart and blood vessel disorders, so this study was just wasting money rather than helping the medical community.

VillainDog
08-25-2009, 08:39 AM
There a few ways to set up a keto diet. The diet in the article posted is not the Palumbo diet. Palumbo never didn'y create a keto diet, but he has made a great version which stresses polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats with very low amounts of saturated fats.

The study is a little bit of a joke. It's obviously not the absense of dietary carbohydrates that cuase the heart problems it's the increase in saturated fats. People have known for a little while now that saturated fats cause heart and blood vessel disorders, so this study was just wasting money rather than helping the medical community.

Exactly what I was thinking, no mention of the nutritional breakdown. Plus mice are mostly a herbivore anyway.

davidyes
08-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Were they consuming fiber?

BILLY GUNS
08-25-2009, 10:11 AM
wait til dave wakes up at noon EST this will be fun low...until then the mice must die LOL

Frosty
08-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Scientists can be so un-scientific.

Okay so you now know that whatever diet they used (that they didn't describe and probably didn't supplement with fish oils) produced slightly more cardiovascular problems IN MICE, which I might have to add are not humans.

This study has shown us nothing and no saturated fat isn't causing heart disease. Please no more of that bullshit, either.

chris mason
08-25-2009, 11:28 AM
The same thing could be said for high carb diets...

Legend
08-25-2009, 11:41 AM

I was hoping to do low carb again soon as its an easy way to lose weight, thats a bummer for Palumbo fans like me. I guess carbs are still very important, more important than some of us think.

Hey, if you jump off a bridge, it forces the body to go wings and you will be able to fly.

John Romano
08-25-2009, 12:33 PM

Are you trying to get an MD contract?

lomox
08-25-2009, 01:00 PM
...and no saturated fat isn't causing heart disease. Please no more of that bullshit, either.

Thank you. I was just about to point that out. Nothing "obvious" about this.

benmoneyog
08-25-2009, 01:08 PM
if this is the case why is there no such thing as an essential carb?

Triple-H_2005
08-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Lmao, It would seem he's the rolling pin in a drawer of knives :yep:

More like a baby spoon with a rubber tip.:byeb:

Triple-H_2005
08-25-2009, 01:35 PM

I was just thinking that!

I can see Blechman running up and down the halls with this paper gripped firmly in his freshly-manicured hand..."I have a study, I have a study! Sudden death! Call the lawyers...."!:yep:

huge285
08-25-2009, 01:36 PM
The first line of the article tells the whole, misconstrued, story......

Diets based on eating lots of meat, fish and cheese, while restricting carbohydrates have grown in popularity in recent years.

My high protein, moderate fat, low carb ketogenic diet is based on high quality protein and fat sources that are high in essential and heart healthy monounsaturated fats...........This diet they fed the mice (see above) is a high protein, moderate to high fat (coming mostly from saturated fats), low carb diet. Of course the incidence of atherosclerotic plaques increased. High amounts of saturated fats in the number one reason for getting heart disease! Why can't these scientists do a study that reflects intelligent design? The answer: They wanted to prove exactly what they did in order to protect the farmers and all the carbs they grow!

Triple-H_2005
08-25-2009, 01:45 PM
"For long-term health at least one-third of what we eat should be bread, rice, potatoes, pasta or other starchy food."

Looks like the Agricultural Lobby is alive and well in the UK as well!

lomox
08-25-2009, 01:53 PM
High amounts of saturated fats in the number one reason for getting heart disease!

And where did we get this idea from? Just saying... research where the "research" came from. There is no definitive evidence of this. I've read alot about this lately, but the best "sum up" IMO is in Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories". He explains it nicely.

fitnita
08-25-2009, 02:16 PM
i would agree that the fats are the cause for the arterial damage and heart/cholesterol issues, however, in an ongoing low-carb approach, it's also most likely that the lack of necessary fiberous content (which can only be provided effectively by carbs) increases the propensity toward such issues. in the absence of fiber-rich carbs such as oats, brans, grains, etc, we stir up (or, in a pun, we don't "stir up") our systemic issues by slowing digestion, thereby building up more toxins, storing more fat in the long run and causing stoppage in the overall function of our bodies. without carbs, we can cripple our long term muscular increase and fat storage. dave is spot on with his notions.

The Wolf
08-25-2009, 02:21 PM
lol.

Of course I wouldnt, I just wanted to see if I can start a debate:yep:

The Wolf
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM

Give me a break John, I probably hate those bastards more than you, I just read this in one of the worlds biggest websites and I just wanted to see what you guys would say about it. Whenver I need to lose water and fat fast I always do Daves diet and I beleive that its very affective but I wouldnt do it as long as you, I still would need to do healthy carbs at least for 3 or 4 months in a year.

The Wolf
08-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Diets based on eating lots of meat, fish and cheese, while restricting carbohydrates have grown in popularity in recent years.

My high protein, moderate fat, low carb ketogenic diet is based on high quality protein and fat sources that are high in essential and heart healthy monounsaturated fats...........This diet they fed the mice (see above) is a high protein, moderate to high fat (coming mostly from saturated fats), low carb diet. Of course the incidence of atherosclerotic plaques increased. High amounts of saturated fats in the number one reason for getting heart disease! Why can't these scientists do a study that reflects intelligent design? The answer: They wanted to prove exactly what they did in order to protect the farmers and all the carbs they grow!

Dave I think you would have made a great lawyer, I wont even bother arguing with you:)

Frosty
08-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Saturated fats from animal sources are often used interchangeably with TRANS fats in studies...you know, chemically saturated vegetable oils. Yes saturated fat in the form of chemically saturated vegetable oils is going to increase heart disease risk factors.

However I'd like to see any evidence to support the idea that naturally saturated fats from healthy animal or plant sources causes any type of CHD risk when you have a diet set up with plenty of fish oils and other healthy items.

There is also a big difference between someone that's lean and healthy eating saturated fats and someone that's obese and diabetic or pre-diabetic eating lots of saturated fat. Similar in a sense that the healthfulness of carbs depends on this as well. You can't say that carbs are bad for lean guys if they're not good for obese pre-diabetics, you know?

radrmd216
08-25-2009, 05:28 PM
I think a saturated fat thread could make for some good reading. Someone should start one.

I'm not sure if saturted fats cause heart disease, but they could speed the process up. It seems like people die from diseases that they are hereditarily predisposed to. If a person is more prone to skin cancer they probably won't die from lung cancer. So I guess saturated fats aren't that bad unless you are hereditary prone to have heart and blood vessel problems. I guess I can just eat a ton of fetty meats becuae my family is prone to skin cancer and lung cancer so I will die from one of those first before heart cancer.

John Romano
08-26-2009, 12:56 AM

Add to that the recent PSAs for high fructose corn syrup and you get the picture

John Romano
08-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Give me a break John, I probably hate those bastards more than you, I just read this in one of the worlds biggest websites and I just wanted to see what you guys would say about it. Whenver I need to lose water and fat fast I always do Daves diet and I beleive that its very affective but I wouldnt do it as long as you, I still would need to do healthy carbs at least for 3 or 4 months in a year.

Obviously i was joking with you because of the study's obvious blatant flaw in design, not to mention its complete disassociation with Dave's diet. Just because you read something on a big website doesn't mean you shouldn't pay attention.

wolverine565
08-26-2009, 01:14 AM
You need to see who funded the study. Always follow the money before giving any study merit.

John Romano
08-26-2009, 02:17 AM
You need to see who funded the study. Always follow the money before giving any study merit.

sooooooooo true!

Triple-H_2005
08-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Add to that the recent PSAs for high fructose corn syrup and you get the picture

Like I said...the Agricultural Lobby is killing people in the USA and UK.

beefyfan
08-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Dave, please tell us that you do not subscribe the the untheory of "intelligent design".

tlydi23
09-12-2009, 09:01 PM
can someone help me set my macros for the dave palumbo diet

Ryan Wacht
09-12-2009, 09:16 PM

I can see why a bodybuilder using anabolics would want to stay clear of saturated fats as it seems that steroid intake leads to increased oxidation of these fats, which ultimately leads to the atherosclerotic plaque you mentioned. A natural bodybuilder wouldn't have this increased risk factor and therefore needn't be as concerned about saturated fat intake. In fact, I remember Dr. Piasquale (sp?) stating that natural bodybuilders benefit greatly from a high saturated fat intake because it stimulates higher testosterone production. I've noticed when training naturally that I experience the best progress while following a diet high in saturated fats, though I always make sure I keep my carb intake relatively low while doing so. Also, I was under the impression that excess sugars in the diet are the biggest risk factor relative to developing atherosclerotic plaque.

MaverickMan
09-12-2009, 09:22 PM

Dude, haven't you heard? KETO KILLS!

KeepGoing
09-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Why doesn't it damage the Inuit population?

Ironguru
09-13-2009, 12:39 AM
I see 3 things wrong with this article:

1) They did not specify how much and what kind of FATS they fed the mice. This is what makes the low-carb and high protein diet WORK, it is the utilization of fats as energy that make this type of diet very effective and healthy.

2) They didn't list what kind proteins and what kind of carbs for that matter they fed the mice. There IS a definite difference between man-made and made the way nature intended. Your body can only digest and absorb what it can recognize and that is natural foods. This is part of the reason why fast foods aren’t good for you, it is REFINED and added with PRESERVATIVES – chemicals - to the point where it loses any resemblance to the “natural” state it once was. Your body WON’T be able to utilize it effectively because it can’t ABSORB it properly; it is no longer the food it once was and is now pretty much a chemical.

3) The whole article is just so general and vague about the important details including the ones above. Such as what KIND of foods they were feeding the mice. Sound stupid? Take this into consideration. Taken from an article written by Ron Kosloff, owner of NSP Research Nutrition about the cholesterol controversy:

In the late 1800's a Russian researcher wanted to prove that Cholesterol was no good for you.

He promptly set out to prove it and did. He took a group of rabbits and fed them what would be an equivalent of what a human would eat in a quart of butter or animal fat a day. The experiment went on for 3 months and at that time he destroyed the animals and opened them up. When he opened them up he found that the arteries were corroded. There were lesions, arterial sclerosis, and the findings brought out the determination that cholesterol was not good for you.

Then societies viewpoint changed. Cholesterol lowering drugs were invented, low-fat cheese, low-fat milk, and the thought evolved to throw the egg yolk away. If God intended a yolkless egg he would have made one. An egg white cannot be properly digested if not consumed without the egg yolk. It becomes a sugar and not healthy for the body either.

If you look at any animal, in nature, you will find 4 to 5 % butter fat content in their milk. This is also true of mother's milk. This is one of thee great benefits of breast-feeding. Meanwhile, all the data was accepted as fact and truth.

Another researcher came along years later, and said this data is a lie! "You cannot take animal fats and protein and feed it to a herbivore." Rats, pigs, monkeys and humans are omnivores. They can eat anything; they can survive on anything and are completely capable of eating animal fats.

This researcher created his own test. He fed rats the same amount of lard and butter as the previous test and did his test for a three-month period. Then he opened up their arteries and do you know what he found? Close your eyes, what do you see? Exactly, nothing! Because we as humans are perfectly capable of ingesting fats, metabolizing fats, and utilizing fats.

I think this just goes to show you how mislead and stupid the scientific community is. From just ONE experiment, they conclude that low-carbs are bad for you. The whole thing just feels like it was constructed from the basement of some guy’s home from what it sounds like. Arthur Jones, the Father of HIT, felt that scientists were stupider than bodybuilders, whom he considered to be idiots and pretty low at his rung of the ladder. I guess he was right, AGAIN.

If you want to read the rest of the article, here is the link:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kosloff13.htm

Ironguru
09-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Why doesn't it damage the Inuit population?

EXACTLY! Why doesn't it? Yet, Inuits eat NOTHING but FATS and PROTEIN, the type of diet that today's society considers to be EVIL and VERY BAD for you. It is simply because of the misconceptions that arose throughout the years. Take eggs for instance. Eggs will NOT cause heart disease, what WILL cause heart disease are MAN-MADE STARCHES. Eggs are PERFECTLY HEALTHY. However, people now ONLY eat the white part of the eggs and there are now COMPANIES creating and making money off of selling them. Do you think they WANT YOU to know THAT WHOLE EGGS ARE HEALTHY? NO! It will take away their sales! So, now, you have money tied into this and people with a LOT of money involved. This, I'm sure most of you will figure out, "complicates" matters.

In the early 1900s, a man by the name of Vilhjamir Stefansson went to the Arctic and lived for 18 years with the Inuits living there and lived off of fats and proteins. He wrote a book called "Not by Bread Alone". This might be interesting read for some of you, it is called "Adventures in Diet" and in it, he recalls his time spent in his expedition:

http://www.ironguru.com/adventures-in-diet

Ironguru
09-13-2009, 12:55 AM
can someone help me set my macros for the dave palumbo diet

Ask Dave in his Q&A section. Who better to tell you than the man himself?

Ironguru
09-13-2009, 12:56 AM
sooooooooo true!

Agreed. Money talks. Seriously, I can feel my wallet jiggling sometimes ;)

Ryan Wacht
09-13-2009, 01:02 AM
I see 3 things wrong with this article:

1) They did not specify how much and what kind of FATS they fed the mice. This is what makes the low-carb and high protein diet WORK, it is the utilization of fats as energy that make this type of diet very effective and healthy.

2) They didn't list what kind proteins and what kind of carbs for that matter they fed the mice. There IS a definite difference between man-made and made the way nature intended. Your body can only digest and absorb what it can recognize and that is natural foods. This is part of the reason why fast foods aren’t good for you, it is REFINED and added with PRESERVATIVES – chemicals - to the point where it loses any resemblance to the “natural” state it once was. Your body WON’T be able to utilize it effectively because it can’t ABSORB it properly; it is no longer the food it once was and is now pretty much a chemical.

3) The whole article is just so general and vague about the important details including the ones above. Such as what KIND of foods they were feeding the mice. Sound stupid? Take this into consideration. Taken from an article written by Ron Kosloff, owner of NSP Research Nutrition about the cholesterol controversy:

In the late 1800's a Russian researcher wanted to prove that Cholesterol was no good for you.

He promptly set out to prove it and did. He took a group of rabbits and fed them what would be an equivalent of what a human would eat in a quart of butter or animal fat a day. The experiment went on for 3 months and at that time he destroyed the animals and opened them up. When he opened them up he found that the arteries were corroded. There were lesions, arterial sclerosis, and the findings brought out the determination that cholesterol was not good for you.

Then societies viewpoint changed. Cholesterol lowering drugs were invented, low-fat cheese, low-fat milk, and the thought evolved to throw the egg yolk away. If God intended a yolkless egg he would have made one. An egg white cannot be properly digested if not consumed without the egg yolk. It becomes a sugar and not healthy for the body either.

If you look at any animal, in nature, you will find 4 to 5 % butter fat content in their milk. This is also true of mother's milk. This is one of thee great benefits of breast-feeding. Meanwhile, all the data was accepted as fact and truth.

Another researcher came along years later, and said this data is a lie! "You cannot take animal fats and protein and feed it to a herbivore." Rats, pigs, monkeys and humans are omnivores. They can eat anything; they can survive on anything and are completely capable of eating animal fats.

This researcher created his own test. He fed rats the same amount of lard and butter as the previous test and did his test for a three-month period. Then he opened up their arteries and do you know what he found? Close your eyes, what do you see? Exactly, nothing! Because we as humans are perfectly capable of ingesting fats, metabolizing fats, and utilizing fats.

I think this just goes to show you how mislead and stupid the scientific community is. From just ONE experiment, they conclude that low-carbs are bad for you. The whole thing just feels like it was constructed from the basement of some guy’s home from what it sounds like. Arthur Jones, the Father of HIT, felt that scientists were stupider than bodybuilders, whom he considered to be idiots and pretty low at his rung of the ladder. I guess he was right, AGAIN.

If you want to read the rest of the article, here is the link:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kosloff13.htm

Very informative post!

Sean
09-13-2009, 01:14 AM
An egg white cannot be properly digested if not consumed without the egg yolk. It becomes a sugar and not healthy for the body either.

Would love to see the studies on this if you have a link.

Ironguru
09-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Would love to see the studies on this if you have a link.

This just might do it:

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

I'll try to find more, sorry. If you actually want to contact Ron himself, his number should be a the bottom of the page or on his main page. He will be able to tell you MORE than I EVER could.

Ironguru
09-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Very informative post!

Thank you.

Sean
09-13-2009, 02:55 AM
This just might do it:

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

I'll try to find more, sorry. If you actually want to contact Ron himself, his number should be a the bottom of the page or on his main page. He will be able to tell you MORE than I EVER could.
While there is some interesting information there, there is also nothing that supports your original statement (which is what I was after):

"An egg white cannot be properly digested if not consumed without the egg yolk. It becomes a sugar and not healthy for the body either."

xydrex
09-13-2009, 07:48 AM

Its true you see this shyt in the news all the time. One year they are saying not to drink too much coffee. The next year they are saying its full of antioxidants & promotes better thinking. Nothing is as good at boosting adrenalin, mind-focus & good mood as a good ol' fashioned bribe, or 'donation'

An egg white cannot be properly digested if not consumed without the egg yolk. It becomes a sugar and not healthy for the body either.

Dude, God didnt design the egg for the purpose of human ingestion. Its to nurture the baby chicken. Humans have intelligence which allows them to tamper with things for our advantage. Otherwise its like saying you cant have the test without the est!

Sledge
09-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Oh thank god someone pointed this out. I'm off to get some donuts now.

TPT
09-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Oh thank god someone pointed this out. I'm off to get some donuts now.

hey sledge, just not too many donuts. lol.

Ironguru
09-14-2009, 11:29 AM
While there is some interesting information there, there is also nothing that supports your original statement (which is what I was after):

"An egg white cannot be properly digested if not consumed without the egg yolk. It becomes a sugar and not healthy for the body either."

Here is something that will help understand this concept:

Fat Must Accompany Protein For Hydrolysis

Here is a topic that usually gets me in arguments with many folks. Sometimes I feel like an alien in this world because of the way I think. I like to challenge everything. I debunked the calorie thinking years ago and now I want to challenge the dietary fat theory. If something doesn't make sense I will not prescribe to it. For example, throwing away the egg yolk and eating only the whites is ridiculous to me. Yet, this is what unconscious America is taught. It is believed that by throwing away the yolk you are doing a "healthy act" reducing the risk of high cholesterol and heart disease. This is ludicrous!!! What people don't know is that if you eat egg whites without fat (yolk) it doesn't get converted as protein through the liver it actually gets converted into sugar. High levels of sugar in the blood is one of the key factors for increasing cholesterol levels. Eating healthy fats that the body has been able to digest for thousands of years is not the killer. The egg is the most complete food on the planet.

Proteins and fats must be joined together to sufficiently be hydrolysized through the liver. Without getting too deep into the scientific breakdown of chemistry, here is a simple way of understanding this concept. It is known that dietary fat contains fat soluble vitamins A,D,E,K. I feel that these vitamins are stored in fat to help protect them from the digestive enzymes produced during the digestive delivery sequence. Dietary fat produces the most energy yielding 9 calories per unit of enery per gram. Fats are comprised of hydrogens that are split up during combustive processes in the digestive tract and muscle cells. When a dietary fat is digested, fatty acids are produced. One fatty acid, the essential linoleic acid helps the body absorb fat-soluble vitamins and minerals. I believe that one reason why fat yields so much energy is because it helps moderate the combustion of food in the mouth, stomach and intestines, to allow vital nutrients to get transported into the bloodstream safely. The stomach acids are highly concentrated and breakdown everything we eat. If the body didn't have such a remarkable system for breaking down food, the human species would exist. There has to be a powerful mechanism to help digest dense foods for human survival. Even though fats contain more energy and hydrogens than proteins and sugars they eventually breakdown into smaller constituents to enter into aerobic and anaerobic metabolism.

I feel that fat is a major cofactor in the delivery process of proteins, vitamins and minerals. Protein which is another complex nutrient contains active enzymes that are alive. I believe that protein and fat must coexist in order to keep the protein enzymes alive. All meat has fat combined with it because the enzymes interact with the fat soluble vitamins. The enzymes have to survive in order to be useful in the body. If the enzymes suffer or starve they will die which results in malnourishment for the body. Proteins by themselves entering the stomach are too sensitive to survive without fat protection. It is like George W. Bush walking into Bin Laden's camp by himself. The outlook wouldn't be good for the former president. But if he had lot's of secret service agents, and military personnel he would have a better chance of survival. (I realize the analogy is a little obscure but it is all I can come up at this time with to illustrate my point).

Protein must be accompanied with fat to withstand the digestive acids and to be able to be hydrolysized through the liver for proper transport into the bloodstream. If protein is ingested without a fat present then the protein will not survive the enzymatic reactions through the stomach and intestines. By the time the protein gets to the liver it is in the form of sugar and will proceed to enter the bloodstream as sugar. High sugar can result in hyperinsulinemia, fat storage and high cholesterol. It is very important to combine fats with proteins. Throwing away good fat or avoiding it altogether is a big mistake. If you have any questions regarding today's post please email me at [email protected], and I will gladly respond to you. Now go scramble up some eggs in sweet butter--yummy!!!

But if you want to hear from the man himself, than talk to Ron directly on the phone. I'm sure he will more than gldaly answer your question. Here is his number from the NSP Research Nutrition Site: (313) 372-1807.

Ironguru
09-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Its true you see this shyt in the news all the time. One year they are saying not to drink too much coffee. The next year they are saying its full of antioxidants & promotes better thinking. Nothing is as good at boosting adrenalin, mind-focus & good mood as a good ol' fashioned bribe, or 'donation'

Dude, God didnt design the egg for the purpose of human ingestion. Its to nurture the baby chicken. Humans have intelligence which allows them to tamper with things for our advantage. Otherwise its like saying you cant have the test without the est!

xydrex,
the whole egg contains the most bio-available protein out of all the protein foods. Since you also brought up the fact that it is to nurture the baby chicken, consider this: the egg is supposed to be the start of a new born or in this case, a chick's life so it must contain the nutrients in the first place in order to sustain it. The Chicken egg contains 5g of fat and 6 g of protein, almost in equal ratio. And you cannot deny the fact that it is the most bio-available protein food you could eat. There is a definite connection to this and the fact that it is one of finest, if not the finest source of protein you could ever eat. On first hand experience I have eaten about 8 whole eggs and have personally consumed about 14 or more whole eggs a day (RAW and cooked) with no major health issues for about a period of one year. During that period, I feel my whole musculature changed and for the better. I began to see shape and size in the muscle that I did not notice before. Since you also brought up the fact that humans have the intelligence to tamper with things, yes well, that's partially true but let's take that into context and think about what's happening to the environment today compared to how it was before human used their intelligence to industrialize everything. Pollution is now rampant and fresh clean water is becoming scarce. Supposedly, the soil is now depleted about 80% of it's minerals due to pollution so you're not getting the full benefit of the nutrients from the foods you now eat. One of my favourite protein sources before I found out it is now a rarity was Orange Roughy, which has been now over-fished and almost extinct. So much for "human intelligence".

Frosty
09-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Raw egg yolks are good for recovery and testosterone. Beef liver is also a good testosterone-boosting food.

lomox
09-14-2009, 02:24 PM
So in the absence of fat, protien is converted to sugar? I'll need a little bit more proof to buy that one. Thats a pretty big claim.

Frosty
09-14-2009, 02:34 PM
So in the absence of fat, protien is converted to sugar? I'll need a little bit more proof to buy that one. Thats a pretty big claim.

Protein gets converted into sugar all the time. It's called gluconeogenesis. If you don't have fat and you don't have carbs some amino acids can be converted into glucose for energy.

DAVIDHARDY
09-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Raw egg yolks are good for recovery and testosterone. Beef liver is also a good testosterone-boosting food.

It's just swallowing it that's the hard part. lol

lomox
09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Protein gets converted into sugar all the time. It's called gluconeogenesis. If you don't have fat and you don't have carbs some amino acids can be converted into glucose for energy.

Yeah, in an overall diet I get that... but down to the meal? Wouldn't that make pro/veg days counterproductive? Even Scott Connelly reccomeneded "just protien" pre workout.

lomox
09-14-2009, 03:02 PM
It's just swallowing it that's the hard part. lol

Ummm... that's what she said?

Frosty
09-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, in an overall diet I get that... but down to the meal? Wouldn't that make pro/veg days counterproductive? Even Scott Connelly reccomeneded "just protien" pre workout.

All of it turned into glucose? No way. Some of it? Definitely. I have no idea how much, though.

jompao
10-23-2009, 06:16 PM

Been on LCHF diet (low carb high fat and high protein to) since June and I'm sure one can get glycogene fine from protein but it seem to take some time to fill upp storage in muscle. I work out five days a week and I noted a good improvement from just adding 20 grams of glucose post my workouts.

jompao
10-23-2009, 06:33 PM
It is carbs that cause placks not fat! And it's coming from fructose!
Whole eggs (complete protein source) and saturated fats are great for you, increased cholesterol comes in the part of large fluffy LDL (there are two types of LDL) and this does not cause plack, it's even to large to be able to do it.

Keep in mind that regular cain sugar is 50% fructose, High Fructose Corn Sirup even worse with 55% fructose. Fructose has a lot af adverse effects in the boday and should be avaoided as much as possible. Glucose on the other hand does not cause any of these problems.

Fructose is better tolerated when coming in it's natural package like eating an apple.

Fructose adds a lot more body fat then the same amount of glucose.

Fructose is not recogniesed by the brain and it messes with normal leptin feedback so we do not feel full and keep over eating.

Fructose cause the normal regulation of bloodpreassure by NO production to not work as it should.

Fructose works like alcohol in the body without the buzz.

Tatyana
10-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Scientists can be so un-scientific.

Okay so you now know that whatever diet they used (that they didn't describe and probably didn't supplement with fish oils) produced slightly more cardiovascular problems IN MICE, which I might have to add are not humans.

This study has shown us nothing and no saturated fat isn't causing heart disease. Please no more of that bullshit, either.

They didn't describe it in the BBC article, as that is not the scientific paper.

The un-scientific scientist you are referring to is from Harvard.

I would check the original paper.

This is the thing people keep misunderstanding about most issues that relate to diet and nutrition.

There is no one type of diet that is going to work for everyone, so to try and defend one as the 'holy grail' of diets is just ridiculous.