PDA

View Full Version : Cutting vs Bulking Cheat Meals

capone1153
08-27-2009, 04:29 PM
OK so i have been doing a clean bulking diet and have been having good results. I have one cheat meal every sunday night. but i notice i cant cheat like i do when cutting. During a cutting phase i could eat whatever i want all day sunday and keep losing fat. During this bulking phase i tried having a typical CUTTING cheat meal and noticed that i would gain a whole % of fat that week! i wonder if this is from consistantly high calories and the cheatmeal is pushing me over the edge??? anyone else have a similar experience to this??

anabolic fyre
08-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Yeaaa deff have the same problem here, while cutting ive broken the 3200+ calorie mark on cheat meals till 4 weeks out nd continued to drop bodyfat with ease, but while bulking even when clean, nd i barly hit 1000+ calories on cheats i get insanely bloated from the water retention plus i also gain like a whole % of bodyfat, its rediculous, dont worry bro u aint alone on that shyt hah...

meatheadio
08-27-2009, 06:25 PM
The cheat meal in a cutting phase serves to trcik the body into thinking it has a surplus of calories and to further boost the metabolism, hence the reason a big cheat here doesnt really hurt.
In a bulking phase a cheat meal doesnt really serve any purpose but to satisfy cravings. And those cravings nearly always exist because you are defiecient in some nutrient/s. So if your bulking diet is well designed, you should crave the shit food every week. If you are having just because you want to, not because you think its neccessary, then be prepared to deal with the BF gains.
That being said, you can still cheat a bit,even when bulking. But if you turn it into an extra days food (like 3200+ cal) you are setting yourself up for fat gain as there is no reason for the huge influx of calories. And as with any time, the body will store what is doesnt need, and it loves fat!!!

capone1153
08-27-2009, 08:08 PM
wish i knew this a month ago!!

haha fuck im going to have to seriouslyy cut back... who woulda thought id look forword to cutting just so i could eat! jesus christ

but im glad to hear its not just me lol

Frosty
08-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Are you eating carbs during your regular meals during the week? If so I think that could be why....

The Anabolic Diet and others are designed around practically cheat days to gain mass, but it's <30g carbs during the rest of the time.

capone1153
08-28-2009, 02:49 PM
yeah i take in about 245g of carbs a day. i feel better when i include them in my daily diet so i try to never cut them that low. plus i beleive that one grows easier with them

neofarq
08-31-2009, 06:37 PM
I am currently off season, my normal training day is roughly 250-300 grams of carbs, 300 grams protein as well.
However I have 2 cheat meals a week: usually a chicken fajita egg white omlette with a short stack from IHOP right after legs and sometimes two double burgers after a serious chest and tri routine which usually falls 3-4 days after that.
I think once or twice a week is okay. I always do them immediately post workout for major body parts, this way at least your body will do something with all the calories.
One thing that I have also recently found usefull is to vary my carbs over the week, big muscle groups are my high carb days, small to middle muscle groups are medium carb days and off days are lower carbs

Frosty
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
yeah i take in about 245g of carbs a day. i feel better when i include them in my daily diet so i try to never cut them that low. plus i beleive that one grows easier with them

Makes sense. When you're eating enough carbs and excess calories where will the all out cheat go?? You're not depleted or in a calorie deficit so it's much more likely to go to fat. Especially really dirty cheats.

I'd only "cheat" by having something somewhat off the diet but not huge amounts...like say getting two McDoubles instead of a normal meal after a workout. Not eating a whole pizza and a tub of ice cream :)

Shadow
08-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Damn. I need to clean up my cheats a bit.

capone1153
09-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I'd only "cheat" by having something somewhat off the diet but not huge amounts...like say getting two McDoubles instead of a normal meal after a workout. Not eating a whole pizza and a tub of ice cream :)

that sucks lol

s2h
09-05-2009, 09:46 PM
it's all bad advice capone!!nobody knows your bulking diet,metabolism,training and supps.how can anybody give diet advice w/out know these important facts!!