PDA

View Full Version : Does your gym allow chalk?

BrotherIron
08-29-2009, 11:49 AM
I am wondering how anyone could train without the use of chalk especially if they don't use wraps. I sweat profusely and without the chalk my grip would fail quite quickly and I don't want to use wraps b/c that weakens your grip.

Back in the day when I used to train at another gym I would use chalk and the staff would bitch and moan telling me that I was making a mess and this is not professional to use chalk. My solution was to get a chalk bag (from a climbing store) and use that so the mess was kept to a minimal.

So who else here uses chalk and does your gym allow it? If they don't do you abide by that rule or do you find a way around it?

GirlyMuscle
08-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Yes but only in the "powerlifting" room. There's all kinds of cool shit in there...chains, chalk and stuff I have no idea what it is.

BrotherIron
08-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Yes but only in the "powerlifting" room. There's all kinds of cool shit in there...chains, chalk and stuff I have no idea what it is.

If your goal is size and strength, go in there sometime and have some of the peeps in there show you how to use the equipment. It'll add variety to your routine and help make HUGE gains.

robert da strongman
08-29-2009, 12:49 PM
going to now....they pissed me off today.

i do like to use stickum spray. less mess but great smell

BrotherIron
08-29-2009, 01:35 PM
going to now....they pissed me off today.

i do like to use stickum spray. less mess but great smell

I've never tried the stickum spray before.

Ninja Loco
08-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Yes sir :)! Both of them!

robert da strongman
08-29-2009, 01:55 PM
I've never tried the stickum spray before.

works well and lasts a decent time. residual stuff stays on the bar.
it reminds me of spray on glue

MrStick
08-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Gyms that do not allow chalk use piss me off!!

BrotherIron
08-29-2009, 04:36 PM
works well and lasts a decent time. residual stuff stays on the bar.
it reminds me of spray on glue

Funny enough that would probably piss off the Oly lifters using something which makes the bar sticky.

tjoe
08-29-2009, 04:57 PM
well, we have a deadlift platform, 4 100 pound plates, log, 3 tires, 4 stones... so, yeah, we got chalk :)

robert da strongman
08-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Funny enough that would probably piss off the Oly lifters using something which makes the bar sticky.

its not that bad.

crashcrew56
08-29-2009, 05:58 PM
My gym has a strongman room w/ tons of kegs, tires, and stones, a powerlifting room with any sort of powerlifting equipment you could want.... Yes we have plenty of chalk and stickum spray, I don't use the stickum for my hands, only for my feet when I'm benching or pulling

and every once in a while when I go and train at Xsport I bring my own chalk, nobody has ever said anything to me about it, and I kinda enjoy making a mess with the chalk there

GREENMACHINE23
08-29-2009, 06:08 PM
I use chalk and my gym allows its use throughout the building.

BrotherIron
08-29-2009, 06:23 PM
its not that bad.

You'll have to bring some up with ya when you come and train with us.

robert da strongman
08-29-2009, 06:33 PM
You'll have to bring some up with ya when you come and train with us.

can do!

realmccoy
08-29-2009, 07:58 PM
My gym allows it as long as we clean up afterwords

GirlyMuscle
08-29-2009, 10:24 PM
If your goal is size and strength, go in there sometime and have some of the peeps in there show you how to use the equipment. It'll add variety to your routine and help make HUGE gains.

I do go in the powerlifting room. It's where I do my deads and squats. Or anytime I want to get away from the crowd since there's rarely anyone in there. I have wussy girl grip from 15 years of doing nails (tendonitis and arthritis) so I use straps..no chalk.

One guy did show me this neat leverage thingie. It slips under the bar and you rock it back so that it lifts the bar off the floor. That way I can put the 45s on and off easily. I'll get a pic of it. Cool contraption.

BrotherIron
08-29-2009, 11:00 PM
I do go in the powerlifting room. It's where I do my deads and squats. Or anytime I want to get away from the crowd since there's rarely anyone in there. I have wussy girl grip from 15 years of doing nails (tendonitis and arthritis) so I use straps..no chalk.

One guy did show me this neat leverage thingie. It slips under the bar and you rock it back so that it lifts the bar off the floor. That way I can put the 45s on and off easily. I'll get a pic of it. Cool contraption.

Yes it allows you to put weight on quickly and easily as well as strip them off.

You should have someone show you the hook grip. It's the strongest grip you can make so you rely less on those straps.

GirlyMuscle
08-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Is that where you don't use your thumb?

To give you an idea, I can dead 295 with straps but can't dead over 155 without them. I used to sleep with wrist/hand braces back when I did nails. I figured I don't need grip to build a big back so I went with Versa Grrips.

crashcrew56
08-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Suicide grip is when you don't use the thumb, hook grip is then the thumb is under the fingers

GirlyMuscle
08-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Ahhhh....I see. Thanks!

HammerStrength12
08-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Always use it, couldn't join a gym that doesn't allow it.

HammerStrength12
08-29-2009, 11:52 PM

To give you an idea, I can dead 295 with straps but can't dead over 155 without them. I used to sleep with wrist/hand braces back when I did nails. I figured I don't need grip to build a big back so I went with Versa Grrips.

True, but having a strong grip is really important for a ton of exercises. Comes in useful in real life too. I'm sure it's a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for. A DL of 2x your strapless max is a little extreme, but I'd imagine its more due to the bar slipping than having a weak grip. Give chalk a try sometime -- you'll be very pleasantly surprised, I'm positive.

Just to put it in perspective, my max rack pull w/ chalk is 200lbs heavier than without it. You'll be better off for using chalk instead of straps, trust me.

HammerStrength12
08-29-2009, 11:53 PM
My gym has a strongman room w/ tons of kegs, tires, and stones, a powerlifting room with any sort of powerlifting equipment you could want.... Yes we have plenty of chalk and stickum spray, I don't use the stickum for my hands, only for my feet when I'm benching or pulling

and every once in a while when I go and train at Xsport I bring my own chalk, nobody has ever said anything to me about it, and I kinda enjoy making a mess with the chalk there

I'm insanely jealous

Sandpig
08-30-2009, 12:02 PM
The sign on the wall says, No Chalk, but lots of guys, including myself, do use it. No one has ever said anything to me about it.

The Big Sexy
08-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Yeah - the PL and SM guys who train have giant tubs of it in the cubbie hole area... I know it is theirs because it says SD PL on it and has "NOT YOURS" written on it LOL

Personally, i just take talc powder and clap my hands and throw it up in the air before each set like Labron James...

Sandpig
08-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah - the PL and SM guys who train have giant tubs of it in the cubbie hole area... I know it is theirs because it says SD PL on it and has "NOT YOURS" written on it LOL

Personally, i just take talc powder and clap my hands and throw it up in the air before each set like Labron James...That would be LEbron James. ;)

juggernaut
08-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I only allow carpet cleaner powder to be used. Chalk is a pain in the ass to pick up on my rubber flooring. Of course, there is only two or three hardcores in my gym. They, like me, get stares and draw looks when training. I do use some powder but only on my thighs and hands when doing deads.

BrotherIron
08-30-2009, 06:54 PM

No, a hook grip explicitly uses the thumb. You wrap your fingers over the thumb to create a stronger hold.

If you use wraps you sacrifice working your forearms.

powerbeast
10-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Used to train at a gym that wouldn't allow chalk and they even bitched about the deadlift making to much noise. I switch to a much better Gym. With a better environment for Strength building. Chalk's never a problem there. Neither is deadlifting.