PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Weight

GameofInches
08-30-2009, 05:27 PM
How would you go about cutting weight for a comp when there is no 24hr weigh-in? I will need to prob drop 10lbs for a powerlifting meet and the weigh-ins start at 7:30 and the comp begins at 9:00. What water/sodium manipulations can I make in order to cut the weight and then rebound enough in order to not loose performance? Thanks in advance for the help!

Squid
08-31-2009, 04:53 AM
You could try sweat it out and IV but im pretty sure that takes up your 24 hour weigh-in so it might not work fast enough

crashcrew56
08-31-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm not sure how to manipulate water, but I think I would go and sit in a sauna in sweats the night before. I would definetly do what Squid says and use an IV to rehydrate, with the meet starting as close to the weigh-in time, I think IV would be the only way to rehydrate yourself fast enough

rinse
08-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Bad idea with only 1,5 hours to rehydrate. You will probably loose significant strength. It's possible sure but you have to be really good at it to not screw up your performance.

crashcrew56
08-31-2009, 11:52 AM
What weight class are you trying to make?
What federation are you competing in?
Are you competing equipped or raw?
Are you competing in full power, bench only, or push pull?

GameofInches
08-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I know a lot of guys cut water and sit in sauna, etc. but that is usually with a 24hr weighin. I am doing a push/pull meet with USA Powerlifting and it is a Raw Natural contest. I am at about 210-212 and I will do the 220 class but I was thinking about trying to make the 198 class if possible. I may just stick with the 220 class b/c this is my first comp and it will probably be easier to do.

BrotherIron
08-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I know a lot of guys cut water and sit in sauna, etc. but that is usually with a 24hr weighin. I am doing a push/pull meet with USA Powerlifting and it is a Raw Natural contest. I am at about 210-212 and I will do the 220 class but I was thinking about trying to make the 198 class if possible. I may just stick with the 220 class b/c this is my first comp and it will probably be easier to do.

In Oly lifting you weigh in 2 hrs before you compete and many cut weight. Most will use a sauna to cut weight or boil as they put it. Boiling is when you sit in a tub with boiling hot water for 15min, than come out and wrap yourself up with as many blankets as possible for an hour. After you repeat until you get your weight down. This DOES affect your strength though as I saw a VERY prominent lifter (world class) do this and miss the lift they needed to win b/c they had to drop more than 2-3kg.

crashcrew56
08-31-2009, 06:27 PM

If it's your first meet, then don't even worry about it. Just go in and do your best and have fun at it.

Good luck, and keep us updated on how you do

GameofInches
09-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I will see how things go and will keep you guys updated