PDA

View Full Version : Iceman Returning

-Z-
08-31-2009, 09:01 AM
Only in the career of Randy Couture could a loss precede a contract renewal: according to Sherdog’s Loretta Hunt, Couture has signed a new six-fight contract that will keep him in the UFC fold until he’s back in diapers. More importantly, it puts him out of reach of Strikeforce, Japan, or whatever other insidious force threatens to take even .002% of the UFC’s market share.

Apparently, Couture’s performance Saturday against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira -- a valiant effort that smothered any talk of retirement -- made Chuck Liddell agitated: according to Dana White’s post-fight press speech, Liddell texted him frequently during the show about returning to the cage.

Seeing Liddell against Mark Coleman would probably pique interest without being perceived as sadistic; seeing Liddell against a throat-slitting 205 pounder like Thiago Silva would be a brutal bit of work.

Both Couture and Nogueira pocketed $60,000 for Fight of the Night honors, which is deserved in one respect, but questionable in another: as headliners, the two have appreciably better salaries than undercard athletes. I’m guessing $60,000 isn’t going to change their day, but it could make a radical difference in the lives of guys fighting for $5,000/$5,000. I’d rather big-money athletes be exempt from bonus incentives.

sherdog.com

cobra
09-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Does anyone ever stay retired anymore? wtf, they consider and go into retirement for a reason!

phillymuscle
09-08-2009, 06:35 PM
I do think hes finished as a fighter. I think if Dana was smart he would match him up with bbj or ground and pound fighters until he builds his rep again.

Sensei
09-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah If chuck fights again it should be against a grappler or someone not known for striking. Maybe liddell & couture could have a loser retires for good match

troutman18
09-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Chuck should just stay retired, he's past his prime but if he does come back i think it should be against some no name guys and let him get a 2-3 win streak back for momentum. Id love to see chuck back in the ring again but i dont think it is wise for his health lol

Ninja Loco
09-09-2009, 12:09 AM
I just read this the other day. Aside from Tito coming back it's the best news Ive heard all year.