PDA

View Full Version : Do I REALLY need to take a multivitamin?

Outcast
08-31-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm getting more serious about my diet in order to make some strength gains and improve health overall. Shooting for the 17xBW, 55%/35%/15% formula. As part of this I am trying to make sure I get a good variety of fruits and vegatables every day, 4-5 servings. My water intake is 1-1.5 Gal.

Should I still take a multvitamin? I know the big water intake can flush out alot of nutrients before they get a chance to be used but I'm also concerned about overloading on anything.

After reading through several posts, I am also considering taking some fish oil. Should I bother with that?

I'm trying to take a very basic and simple approach to my diet and get as much as I can out of eating good foods but I'm wondering if a little mult-vit and some fish oil might be worth it.

Thanks, in advance, for any help or comments.

MichaelWayne
08-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Multi-Vitamin and fish oils, very important grasshopper. Its one of those things that even if they get flushed before they fully absorb your not out much seeing so they are so cheap. Compared to all of the other 'gimmicks' on the market...your coming out ahead with multiVit/Min and Fishy.

Different strokes for different folks, but better safe then sorry.

Frosty
08-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Fish oil is a must. It's a staple, not a supplement. You should use it for the rest of your life.

A multi the problem is you totally get what you pay for. There are a ton of multivitamins that I really don't like and I wouldn't bother with. Something like a Centrum is a complete waste of money.

Certain nutrients are more important than others. For example a good diet will supply plenty of vitamin C, but it's difficult to get a lot of zinc through normal diets, and same goes with magnesium. If you don't go with a multi I would at least supplement with zinc and magnesium. However there are other nutrients that are extremely important that can be difficult to obtain. Vitamin D is one of them unless you get a lot of sun exposure and live closer to the equater. The darker your skin, the less you're in sun, and the farther north the more important dietary vitamin D is. Cod liver oil is a good way to get in EFAs and vitamins A and D, though if this would be appropriate depending on those factors I mentioned.

Outcast
08-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the quick response! Any recomendations on a good quality multi? I don't mind paying for good quality.

B7emm
08-31-2009, 08:56 PM
i like the vitamins that come in 30 day individual serving bags be sure to buy high quality.

BigBilly
09-23-2009, 01:05 AM
i think i am only BB who is not sold on fish oil...

BigBilly
09-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the quick response! Any recomendations on a good quality multi? I don't mind paying for good quality.

animal pak or ornage traid

zubbeyboy
09-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Bump for Animal Pak......Been using over 15 years. Best of the Best IMO

The Ultimate Warrior
10-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Is the Pope Catholic?

Youngguns
10-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Fish oil is a must. It's a staple, not a supplement. You should use it for the rest of your life.

A multi the problem is you totally get what you pay for. There are a ton of multivitamins that I really don't like and I wouldn't bother with. Something like a Centrum is a complete waste of money.

Certain nutrients are more important than others. For example a good diet will supply plenty of vitamin C, but it's difficult to get a lot of zinc through normal diets, and same goes with magnesium. If you don't go with a multi I would at least supplement with zinc and magnesium. However there are other nutrients that are extremely important that can be difficult to obtain. Vitamin D is one of them unless you get a lot of sun exposure and live closer to the equater. The darker your skin, the less you're in sun, and the farther north the more important dietary vitamin D is. Cod liver oil is a good way to get in EFAs and vitamins A and D, though if this would be appropriate depending on those factors I mentioned.
x2.

You can also get vitamin D from tanning beds, just make sure the ones you use have an electric ballast instead of the old magnetic ones.

The "research" pushed by the mass media telling you it's carcinogenic is based on an old study from 30 years ago, it's complete bs. Just don't burn, or bath with a magnetic ballast and you'll be alright.

Also with the cod liver oil, know that vitamin D through our skin is a much better source than oral. Also, if you are in fact getting a lot of sun, or tanning bed, then you may infact OD on vitamin D because it's fat soluable. So watch out for over dosing.

i think i am only BB who is not sold on fish oil...

animal pak or ornage traid
Made by a supplement company, I'm weary...

Bump for Animal Pak......Been using over 15 years. Best of the Best IMO
Do you have ANY evidence that's it's even an average multi?

Is the Pope Catholic?
:no:

Cooker
10-23-2009, 09:43 PM
I think most multis are shit. Poor bioabailabiliy and nutrient dosing that is faily meaningless sums up about 90% of them. One of the better ones that I have looked at is Source Naturals Life Force.

thesamewords
10-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Taking a multi is a way to build a solid foundation. Do your Homework and always read the label. I visit the lab to get blood work done before I started my multi and now I get my blood work done every quarter just to make sure things are consistent.

DICE
10-23-2009, 10:13 PM
multivitamins are gonna change your world. for the better,should you need more clarification.

freak
10-26-2009, 12:42 PM
you said you're getting serious about your diet... so from that i can assume that you'll be getting at-least 7 servings of veggies and fruit, 3 servings of grains/starches, a couple servings of dairy and more then enough servings of meat and alternatives. if your diet is anything like this, no, you dont need a multi vitamin/mineral. if you prefer to cook your veggies, you may want to take a low to moderate dose B-complex in the morning. you'll have to see what works for you. i personally dont take a multi but do take a B-comlex in the morning. multivitamins/mineral supps have their place in deficient diets but, for someone who has a well rounded and varied diet, i dont see them as necessary.

tiramisu
10-26-2009, 12:47 PM
a multi isn't going to hurt and it will almost certainly help.
essential fats are required.

MattPT88
03-12-2010, 09:39 PM
If you truly think you are getting enough vits and mins from your diet I would break your multi in half and take half a pill a day as an insurance policy. Fish oil is a must and should be taken by every person. You might wanna add a vit d supplement because research is showing that most Americans are deficient. Id shoot for 2000-4000ius/day if you are not gonna get tested to see what level you are at. Plus higher vit d levels correlate with higher test levels. Its of benefit if your not using AAS.

MattPT88
03-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Also with the cod liver oil, know that vitamin D through our skin is a much better source than oral. Also, if you are in fact getting a lot of sun, or tanning bed, then you may infact OD on vitamin D because it's fat soluable. So watch out for over dosing.

Its impossible to OD on Vit D from sunlight and tanning beds. Also you cant really OD from Vit D from food sources as most of it is D2 and the body wont activate it if its not needed. You can OD on supplemental D3 if you are taking more that 10,000ius/day for more that 6-8 weeks. So if you are getting sun/tanning and taking a 2000iu Vit D supplement you are at NO risk.

Id expect to see cod liver oil being taken off the market eventually. Studies are showing that the Vit A in the oil negates many of the effects of Vit D. So I would suggest not supplementing it.