PDA

View Full Version : BrotherIron's Strength Training Journal

BrotherIron
09-01-2009, 12:00 AM
I thought it would be a good idea for me to get back to writing my journal down here for myself and anyone else who may be interested.

This is training routine for the next 8 weeks. Every 4th week is a deload week where I drop my weights considerably to allow my CNS to recover and be ready for the next onslaught. I change the exercises every 8 weeks to keep making progress and keep from overtraining.

I am 15-20lbs lighter than where I normally stay (255-260lbs) and am trying to lift more than I ever did at my previous weight.

I pulled my left tricep a month ago so my triceps exercises are not what I would like to do but don't have much of a choice at the moment. I also have to wrap my left wrist for shoulder day b/c it's so f^&ked up. And finally, my left knee has been bothering me alot lately. So with these injuries I deviate from my routine a bit sometimes but it is usually followed to the T.

Mon~
Legs
Back Squats
Front Squats
RDL
Step Ups

Tues~Abs + Cardio

Wed~
Shoulder
Push Press
Cleans
Z-Press
Squat + Snatch Grip Press (behind the neck)
Biceps
Preacher Curl

Thurs~Abs + Cardio

Friday~
Back
Deadlift + CHAIN
Clean Pulls from Hang
BentOver Rows (supinated grip)
Seated Good Morning
Face Pulls

Sat~
Chest
Flat Bench
DB Fly
Triceps
Close Grip Bench
Skull Crusher
V-bar Pressdown
DB Kickbacks

BrotherIron
09-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Well I think I have found out that doing Step Up's bothers my left knee. I dropped the weight and just did body weight. I think I'll switch this exercise for something else next time.

WAVE 5 WEEK 3
LEGS:

Back Squats~ 162kgX5, 180kgX3, 200kgX1
This was hard to do 200kg way below parallel.

Front Squats~ 100kgX7, 112kgX5, 117kgX5, 130kgX3
130kg didn't feel hard. I had alot still left in the tank.

RDL~ 130kgX7, 145kgX5, 155kgX5, 165kgX3
As always I start this from the floor and bring the weight all the way to the floor. I actually touch the floor before beginning to bring the weight back up. This was very easy, I had ALOT left in the tank.

Step Up's~ BWx 2(15)

So that was it. It was a bit short but I hit legs on my shoulder day and a lil when I hit back so I don't need to do alot on Leg day imho.

Ninja Loco
09-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Word!!!

Sistersteel
09-01-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm glad BI decided to keep a journal here. He has made some SICK improvements with this hybrid style.

Ninja Loco
09-01-2009, 12:17 AM
He did?? Explain. Enlighten. Please.

Sistersteel
09-01-2009, 12:31 AM

He is walking miss pink pitbull Baby right now and I am sure he would love to elaborate on this one :)

I can say this...he is drug free...Huge...strong as an ox...lean...and a horny mother. lol

somethings working. ;)

haha!

Ninja Loco
09-01-2009, 12:39 AM
I can say this...he is drug free...Huge...strong as an ox...lean...and a horny mother. lol

Well SHAZAAAAAAAM!! LOL

BrotherIron
09-01-2009, 12:54 AM

Yes, I've gotten MUCH stronger on this program. I'm considerably lighter and even with my injuries I'm stronger than I've ever been at this weight.

The program has also fixed my shoulder issue. It helped bring back full ROM on my left shoulder so I'll be able to squat snatch again in the near future.

I'm also doing this program without any "additional help" and making continual gains. The Russians really knew what they were talking about.

Ninja Loco
09-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Yes, I've gotten MUCH stronger on this program. I'm considerably lighter and even with my injuries I'm stronger than I've ever been at this weight.

Subscribed.

lilfella
09-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Now this is my kind of journal.

lilfella
09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
what are facepulls?

robert da strongman
09-01-2009, 04:34 PM
well damn keep on posting!

BrotherIron
09-01-2009, 05:39 PM
well damn keep on posting!

lol, I've been resting today. My left knee really started bothering me today. Enough to make me just rest all day. It's better so I'm going to do my 40min of cardio like always on an elliptical and than back to the grind tomorrow.

I am def going to drop the Step Up's out of the routine. My knee was hurting pretty bad while doing the first set which is why I dropped the 70lbs DB's and just used BW. For whatever reason the motion is not good for my knee.

Tomorrow is a Shoulder day which means ALOT of tape and more work on my Cleans since John wont let me go heavy till my technique is perfect. That means more hang cleans and clean pulls from the hang.

BrotherIron
09-01-2009, 05:43 PM
what are facepulls?

Here ya go bud.

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/facepull.html

lilfella
09-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Ah Ha! Now I see thanks

robert da strongman
09-01-2009, 05:51 PM
lol, I've been resting today. My left knee really started bothering me today. Enough to make me just rest all day. It's better so I'm going to do my 40min of cardio like always on an elliptical and than back to the grind tomorrow.

I am def going to drop the Step Up's out of the routine. My knee was hurting pretty bad while doing the first set which is why I dropped the 70lbs DB's and just used BW. For whatever reason the motion is not good for my knee.

Tomorrow is a Shoulder day which means ALOT of tape and more work on my Cleans since John wont let me go heavy till my technique is perfect. That means more hang cleans and clean pulls from the hang.

the step ups are killers.
enjoy the technique work!

BrotherIron
09-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Well as always I had to tape my left wrist before I even started lifting tonight. It's all fucked up and I'm not one to sit and rest it till it gets better.

WAVE 5 WEEK 3
SHOULDERS:

Push Press~ 82.5kgX5, 92.5kgX3, 100kgX5
I was feeling great with these. The weight didn't feel hard whatsoever.

Z Press~ 72kgX7, 77kgX5, 82kgX3, 85kgX3
These were hard as always but I'm extremely happy with these numbers since I didn't eat as much as I should have today.

Squat + Snatch Grip Press~ 50kgX7, 60kgX5, 65kgX5, 70kgX3
These are hard as hell. This exercise is extremely draining. I squat ass to ankles on this exercise and explode at the top for the behind the neck snatch grip press. This exercise should be explosive. Do NOT do these slowly.

Clean Pulls from Hang + Hang Cleans~ 40kgX 2(3/3), 60kgx 3/3
I was so drained that John and SS made me drop the weight. I have to really work on my shrug and my brush on the hips. My form has to be perfect before I can crank up the weight. I was wayyyyyyyyy to drained when I got to these so I'm moving them up on my schedule. I'm going to put them before the squat + snatch press. I can't lift heavy though till my form is flawless and that will take some time. I also put this combo in to drill the brush at the hip and to shrug like hell.

BICEPS:

Alt DB Curl~ 60lbsX 3(6)

That was it. All in all I am very happy with this workout.

robert da strongman
09-03-2009, 12:25 PM
nice workout!

BrotherIron
09-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Usually today is supposed to be only a cardio day but since SS and I are going out of town this Friday I had to do Chest/Tri today. Next week is my deload week and I think I'll take it off completely since I'll be out of town.

WAVE 5 WEEK 3:
CHEST:

Flat Bench~ 255lbsX5, 295lbsX3, 325lbsX3
This was easy as hell. I generally skip this workout since I'm not focusing on increasing my my bench but I'm making an effort not to miss any more of my chest/tri workouts.

Incline DB Fly~ 65lbsX 2(15)

TRCIEPS:

Close Grip Bench~ 245lbsX7, 255lbsX5, 265lbsX5, 280lbsX2
This was a cakewalk and my tricep felt good so hopefully it's back to 100%

Skull Crushers~ 75lbsX8, 95lbsX6, 115lbsX6

Rope Pressdowns~ 150lbsX8, 180lbsX6X5

DB Kickbacks~ 30lbsX 2(15)

I also did my 40min of cardio on the Elliptical like I usually do today. I'll do Back tomorrow and I'll be on the road All Sat so no training and than I'll be on a short but much needed vacation.

robert da strongman
09-03-2009, 06:43 PM
nice training again.
trying to catch me on CG press?

enjoy the time off.

BrotherIron
09-03-2009, 07:04 PM
nice training again.
trying to catch me on CG press?

enjoy the time off.

LOL, yup how'd ya know.

I've been looking forward to this mini vacation for a couple weeks.

robert da strongman
09-03-2009, 07:20 PM
LOL, yup how'd ya know.

I've been looking forward to this mini vacation for a couple weeks.

i have 2 long weekends coming up.
competing next week!

BrotherIron
09-03-2009, 07:51 PM
i have 2 long weekends coming up.
competing next week!

We'll be down closer to your way this weekend.

robert da strongman
09-03-2009, 08:00 PM
We'll be down closer to your way this weekend.

enjoy the muggy nastiness!
and if you are near the mouse say hello

BrotherIron
09-04-2009, 08:38 PM
We weren't able to train at Coffee's today so we went to LA Fitness.

WAVE 5 WEEK 3
BACK:

Deadlifts (traditional)~ 370lbsX5, 415lbsX3, 460lbsX3, 500lbsX1, 520lbsX1, 550lbsX1
I didn't have chains to use like I do when I am at John's so I decided to do some singles and some of the people there were pissing me off so I didn't do just 3 sets.

Hang Clean Pulls~ 185X2(5), 205lbsX5, 220lbsX5
Really shrugged like hell and made sure I got a brush at the hips.

Bent Over Rows (SG)~ 185lbsX7, 205lbsX5, 215lbsX5, 225lbsX3
I start with the bar on the ground and bring the bar all the way to the ground before I row the bar up to my abdomen.

Seated Good Mornings~ 135lbsX7, 155lbsX5, 175lbsX5, 195lbsX3

Face Pulls~ 160lbsX 2(15)

This was a good workout. I was happy with them. I used chalk even though LA Fitness doesn't like people to use.

Ninja Loco
09-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Couple of quick questions for you and Dom.....and I hope Im not disrupting the flow of this journal by asking them here.

One of my favorite exercises is a snatch and press. Hope Im saying that right. I can do 135 for 4-8, but generaly 5-6. I warm up with the bar just to get the technique down, which I learned by watching the cleans vids that Sis put up. Then I do a warm up each with 70 and 115. Nothing dramatic, just getting acclimated. Is 3 sets of 5-6 good or would you recommend 5 sets for the endurance part? Also, should I pyramid DOWN in weight since this is for endurance or keep the weight just do as many reps as possible even though they go down in number? This is THE single best exercise I have ever found for my delts, period. It's a bitch and it has me seeing stars but nothing, absolutely nothing has given me so much for so "little".

BrotherIron
09-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Couple of quick questions for you and Dom.....and I hope Im not disrupting the flow of this journal by asking them here.

One of my favorite exercises is a snatch and press. Hope Im saying that right. I can do 135 for 4-8, but generaly 5-6. I warm up with the bar just to get the technique down, which I learned by watching the cleans vids that Sis put up. Then I do a warm up each with 70 and 115. Nothing dramatic, just getting acclimated. Is 3 sets of 5-6 good or would you recommend 5 sets for the endurance part? Also, should I pyramid DOWN in weight since this is for endurance or keep the weight just do as many reps as possible even though they go down in number? This is THE single best exercise I have ever found for my delts, period. It's a bitch and it has me seeing stars but nothing, absolutely nothing has given me so much for so "little".

We need to figure out if you are talking about the snatch or the clean & jerk. The snatch is one fluid movement where the bar travels up overhead in 1 movement. The clean and jerk is in essence 2 movements, the clean (where the bar ends on your clavicles) and than the jerk (where you press the bar overhead).

No matter which movement you're doing you shouldn't use your arms to pull the bar up. You should be in front of the bar for both (meaning your shoulders should stay literally in front of the bar) and shrug like hell while coming up on your toes to drive the bar up. Than you drop under with either arms bent for a C & J, or with arms straight for a snatch. You want to get a high brush at the hips and to do this you want to really shrug like hell (hard and VERY fast), curl the bar inward by turning your forearms in, and coming up on your toes with the explosion of the movement.

Now on to the sets and reps. I would suggest NEVER going over sets of 3. The reasoning behind this is b/c you will tire and when that happens you break form which leads to injury. I would also suggest doing 5 sets of 3 which is performing the same workload as 3 sets of 5 reps. You could also do more than 5 sets. Do more than 5 sets imho. You can work up to a max rep and than drop back down and go back up again. This is working in waves and is what the Bulgarians do I don't suggest you doing this till you have your form down pat.

The 2 movements will honestly work more of your body than anything else. It also has ALOT of carryover strength. IT will raise your squat, deadlift, push press, etc.

I hope this helps. Which one is it? Do you bring the bar to your clavicles and than jerk it? Or do you bring the bar overhead in one fluid movement? I'm guessing that you're talking about the Clean & Jerk since you speak of how it works your shoulders so much but I could be wrong.

Feel free to ask anything on here. I'm here to help bud. These 2 movements are NO joke and if done improperly you can seriously hurt yourself so ask away.

Ninja Loco
09-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah well Im not much on terminology and you know how it differs from person to person. I guess. Im doing what YOU call the clean and jerk, but when I looked it up online all the names were different. Yeah I start with the bar hanging down and my shoulders and i begin with a huge shrug to get it to the clavicles, then I press overhead. Sounds like i need to go heavier because Im not coming up on the toes.

Man I really, really appreciate the info on the sets. Not only do I want to do it right, i want to do it in the right way, and aside from here with you and Sis i dont have access to a lot of Oly lifting peeps. So I add weight and do reps of three instead of five for 5 or more sets, work up to a max rep and then back down again. That sounds absolutely killer!!!

Ok Im going over the form here by myself and...... how do these TWO movements help with squats, deads and other stuff? And is it best to use legs to drive the bar up into the pressed position or use all delt strength for the press itself?

BrotherIron
09-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah well Im not much on terminology and you know how it differs from person to person. I guess. Im doing what YOU call the clean and jerk, but when I looked it up online all the names were different. Yeah I start with the bar hanging down and my shoulders and i begin with a huge shrug to get it to the clavicles, then I press overhead. Sounds like i need to go heavier because Im not coming up on the toes.

Man I really, really appreciate the info on the sets. Not only do I want to do it right, i want to do it in the right way, and aside from here with you and Sis i dont have access to a lot of Oly lifting peeps. So I add weight and do reps of three instead of five for 5 or more sets, work up to a max rep and then back down again. That sounds absolutely killer!!!

Ok Im going over the form here by myself and...... how do these TWO movements help with squats, deads and other stuff? And is it best to use legs to drive the bar up into the pressed position or use all delt strength for the press itself?

That is the Clean and Jerk. Not my terminology bud, thats what it's called in Oly Lifting. There are only 2 movements in Oly lifting the Clean & Jerk and the Snatch. If someone calls it something different they don't Oly lift but I digress....

You don't need to go heavier to get up on your toes. You need to drill it into your head till it's second nature and you do it automatically without thought. For example, I can clean 125kg which is 275lbs BUT John and SS won't let me go anywhere near that weight till I perfect the technique which takes time. If you look at my work log you'll see I don't go above 60kg which is 135lbs which is literally play weight. BUT I have to learn how to explode fast, and how to pull high as hell without using my arms. Also, to get that hip bush at damn near the belly button which will make it easier for me to dip under the weight. Once I perfect the form and technique everyone feels a 160kg clean will be very easy.

The carryover is easy to explain. You have to learn how to use many muscle groups in conjunction and do it in under 1 second if you want to be competitive in this. This builds neural pathways which will help with all explosive movements and allows many muscle groups to literally work as one. Not to mention just look at all the muscle groups worked in the movement. It utilizes your entire body.

The jerk actually isn't a press. You pop the bar up a bit with your chest high and back extremely arched and than drop under the bar while locking your arms. Be sure to get your head through the bar, otherwise you'll have a hard time jerking heavy weight b/c it'll fall forward and you'll loose it.

If you want to do a press than use your delts and triceps and drive it overhead. You should still get your head through the bar. If you want, you can do a push press which is what many SM (strongmen) do. They use a lil leg so they drop down a bit while popping it off of the chest a bit. Than using their shoulders and tris, they press the weight overhead while getting their head through as the bar passes overhead.

crashcrew56
09-07-2009, 11:42 PM
What kind of bar do you suggest using for cleans and jerks(I do them seperatly)? I have access to a lot of different kinds of barbells at my gym

BrotherIron
09-07-2009, 11:48 PM
What kind of bar do you suggest using for cleans and jerks(I do them seperatly)? I have access to a lot of different kinds of barbells at my gym

The only bar I use when Oly lifting is a Eleiko bar. It the standard for oly lifting and used in the Olympic Games as well as all other sactioned meets. It's quite pricey though, the bar runs around $1,000 so most places dont have one. You can get a pendlay bar which is good also but easier on the wallet.

What bars do you have at your disposal?

Ninja Loco
09-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Right on, right on, Brother. So i will keep the weight and maybe even go lighter just to make sure I have the form and technique down. And yes, now that you explained it it does make sense how it helps the other lifts. This can be a whole shoulder workout by itself, right?

And yes I have seen how you go lighter in weight on some exercises. I always thought it was just the injuries you talk about. Under 1 second.......

crashcrew56
09-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Texas power bars, Mastadon squat bars, an Okie deadlift bar, and then some standard run of the mill barbells

BrotherIron
09-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Texas power bars, Mastadon squat bars, an Okie deadlift bar, and then some standard run of the mill barbells

You will probably want to use the run of the mill bar from what you've listed. You don't want the length to be longer or the diameter thicker.

BrotherIron
09-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Right on, right on, Brother. So i will keep the weight and maybe even go lighter just to make sure I have the form and technique down. And yes, now that you explained it it does make sense how it helps the other lifts. This can be a whole shoulder workout by itself, right?

And yes I have seen how you go lighter in weight on some exercises. I always thought it was just the injuries you talk about. Under 1 second.......

It works your shoulders A LOT. There are many national level bbers who swear their shoulders have never been bigger since putting them into their routines. Not to mention just about all SM and bbers from Europe incorporate this lifting style to help build size and strength.

Yeah bud, it should take 9th's of a second to perform the movement when the technique is spot on. Crazy huh.......

BrotherIron
09-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Usually I have a deload week where the weights are dropped to 50% and I only perform 3 sets of 5 reps.

With all my injuries I'm dealing with I'm taking this week off completely and will be back full force next week.

I'm enjoying some fun in the sun down in FL.

Ninja Loco
09-08-2009, 01:04 AM
That really is some crazy shit, yeah. Im really wanting to incorporate more of your style of lifting as opposed to straight bodybuilding. Looks like it's more fun and, in my line of interest, more functional.

Sistersteel
09-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Functional is good. ;)

Ninja Loco
09-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Functional is good. ;)
Heh heh heh heh heh........ it took me a minute.

Hey what does the push press accomplish that the clean and jerk doesnt? You're still pressing, right?

robert da strongman
09-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Usually I have a deload week where the weights are dropped to 50% and I only perform 3 sets of 5 reps.

With all my injuries I'm dealing with I'm taking this week off completely and will be back full force next week.

I'm enjoying some fun in the sun down in FL.

enjoy!

amazing weather down here...:yep:

robert da strongman
09-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Functional is good. ;)

:yep:

holy sweet hot chicks Sis:drool:

BrotherIron
09-08-2009, 09:12 AM
.............Hey what does the push press accomplish that the clean and jerk doesnt? You're still pressing, right?

You actually don't press the weight when you "jerk it". You drop under the weight after than pop off the chest. Really the shoulders and elbows just support the weight but you don't use them to get the weight over head. That is why the lift doesn't count if the judges say it was a press out.

For a push press you utilize your shoulders and triceps. You still dip with your legs but you DO use your upper body to drive the weight up and overhead.

BrotherIron
09-08-2009, 09:14 AM
enjoy!

amazing weather down here...:yep:

Yeah the weather is awesome and the beaches have been crazy packed. We've been having a blast.

Ninja Loco
09-08-2009, 02:04 PM
You actually don't press the weight when you "jerk it". You drop under the weight after than pop off the chest. Really the shoulders and elbows just support the weight but you don't use them to get the weight over head. That is why the lift doesn't count if the judges say it was a press out.

For a push press you utilize your shoulders and triceps. You still dip with your legs but you DO use your upper body to drive the weight up and overhead.
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh........ Im learnin, Im learnin :)

BrotherIron
09-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh........ Im learnin, Im learnin :)

That's what we're all trying to do. I try to learn something new every week.

BrotherIron
09-14-2009, 01:17 AM
Well the weekend is over and it's time to get back to business. I'm well rested and biting at the bit to get my ass back in the gym.

Apparently, I've been eating like a cow b/c I stepped on the scale and I'm tipping it at 270lbs tonight. I can't say I'm surprised though since I ate EVERYTHING while SS's fam stayed with us for 4 weeks. I must say if you haven't had traditional Leb food, give it a try. It's my favortie style of food by far.

Well time for me to get my ass to bed and get ready for Leg Day.

buckimscl
09-14-2009, 01:38 AM
I had leg day today bro and they're still a little shaky 7 hours later. :)

BrotherIron
09-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Well I got my ass back in the gym after a week layoff of rest and relaxation on the beach.

WAVE 6 WEEK 1
LEGS:

Squats~ 145kgX5, 165kgX5, 185kgX5

Front Squat~ 100kgX7, 115kgX5, 125kgX5, 135kgX3

RDL~ 130kgX7, 145kgX5, 160kgX5, 175kgX3

Behind the Back Bar Squats~ 70kgX12, 90kgX12
I use the metal plates instead of bumper plates when performing this exercise so I can go even lower in the squat which increases my ROM.

Man, I was tight as hell. I had to stretch for 20min before being able to start to warm-up on my squats. Than I did 4 warmup sets before I began my work sets. The 135kg (297lbs) Front Squat was heavy as hell but I'm excited to hit 140kg before the end of this wave.

All in all, it was a very good day.

Ninja Loco
09-14-2009, 05:25 PM
You use straps on the behind the back bar squats?

BrotherIron
09-14-2009, 06:49 PM
You use straps on the behind the back bar squats?

No, I don't use straps on any exercise I perform. I just use chalk.

I perform this movement with a cambered bar. You could do it with a straight bar but you will most likely hit your butt at the top of the movement. It's a popular movement for Oly lifters b/c the position is exactly the same as a clean.

lilfella
09-14-2009, 07:00 PM
The masked man is back! prolly be sore tomorrow

BrotherIron
09-14-2009, 07:59 PM
The masked man is back! prolly be sore tomorrow

Neah, I'll be fine. Dropping the Step-Ups really made a difference for my left knee. It's not bothering me at all.

I have my workload planned out till Jan so I just keep plugging away hitting those numbers.

I'm working to hit a 165kg Front Squat for a triple and a 295kg Deadlift by the end of Dec.

BrotherIron
09-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Well we took Baby to the gym today which turned out to be a bit of a problem when I was performing my Z Press. She ended up sitting in my lap and it was hard to concentrate on the lift. Oh well...

WAVE 6 WEEK 1
SHOULDER:

Push Press~ 75kgX5, 85kgX5, 95kgX5

Z-Press~ 75kgX6, 80kgX3, 82.5kgX3, 85kgX2
Like I said this was not my best lift. It was pretty bad but that was b/c baby was sitting in my lap while I was trying to lift.

Squat + Snatch Grip Press~ 60kgX7, 70kgX5, 75kgX5, 80kgX3
I felt really good for these. I moved baby so she didn't get in the way.

Hang Squat Cleans~ 40kgX3, 50kgX3, 60kgX3
Again, working on my technique. I was told it is looking better so I get to go up next week. Finally...

BICEPS:

Alt DB Curl~ 60lbsX 3(6)

crashcrew56
09-16-2009, 07:17 PM
What's a Z-Press?

toddbz
09-16-2009, 07:45 PM
What's a Z-Press?
Shoulder press sitting on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you.
Here's our very own Joe doing them
YouTube - Z Press

BrotherIron
09-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Shoulder press sitting on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you.
Here's our very own Joe doing them
YouTube - Z Press (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-epiDfYFIUM)

That's it but you REALLLLLLLY want to get your head through.

Now imagine your dog laying in your lap while trying to perform the exercise, lol. Not fun.

toddbz
09-17-2009, 02:35 PM
That's it but you REALLLLLLLY want to get your head through.

Now imagine your dog laying in your lap while trying to perform the exercise, lol. Not fun.

Ha! Puppy didn't help you eh? lol

BrotherIron
09-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Ha! Puppy didn't help you eh? lol

Not in the least, lol. And baby is a licker. She loves to come and give her daddy kisses which made it hard as hell to concentrate on lifting when ms baby is giving me kisses. lol

She had a blast though and I was extremely happy with my other lifts exp the Squat + Snatch Grip Press. I'm hoping to be repping 100kgs in no time for that which will be HUGE in terms of what'll do for my other lifts.

robert da strongman
09-17-2009, 03:20 PM
have to try those z presses

Ninja Loco
09-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Whats the advantage? Whats sitting on the floor do that sitting upright in a seated press bench doesnt do?

BrotherIron
09-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Whats the advantage? Whats sitting on the floor do that sitting upright in a seated press bench doesnt do?

The advantage performing the Z Press is that you have to REALLY use your core to stabilize yourself. You don't have a back to support yourself. You can't cheat my leaning back against a back and create some leverage for you to use to lift the weight. You also can't use your legs at all to help drive the weight up. In fact you need ALOT of balance and coordination just to be able to perform this lift, let alone try doing it with 185+lbs on the bar.

Also don't cheat yourself and bring the bar to your nose or chin. Bring it ALL the way down. You will have to use your triceps to initiate the lift and than your shoulders.

There is literally a night and day difference between doing a Z-Press and a Military Press.

The Z-Press will work on raw explosive power.

BrotherIron
09-17-2009, 04:36 PM
have to try those z presses

Yeah bud give them a try. I have to switch them out in my next wave. I'll be subbing in 1 Arm DB Shoulder Presses for Z-Presses in the next go round. Work on some unilateral overhead movements.

BrotherIron
09-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Well I did do cardio on Tues but it was only 20min b/c I was so damn sore from my leg workout. I was surprised that I was that sore.

Today I did my 40min of Cardio today keeping my heart rate around 135bpm. I was pleased with todays session and will do my third on Sat.

Tomorrow is Back Day.

robert da strongman
09-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Yeah bud give them a try. I have to switch them out in my next wave. I'll be subbing in 1 Arm DB Shoulder Presses for Z-Presses in the next go round. Work on some unilateral overhead movements.

looking for something else to do on pressing day.

i do like 1 arm dumbbell clean and presses. they are a fun way to end a shoulder workout.

BrotherIron
09-18-2009, 11:03 PM
My back was tight tonight, that week off really put me back in terms of flexibility. I was pleased with the workout though and am looking foward to switching up some of the exercise after this wave.

WAVE 6 WEEK 1
BACK:

Deadlift + Chain~152kgX5, 170kgX5, 192kgX5
My back was a bit tight after these but the weight was easy.

Clean Pulls from Hang~ 82.5kgX 2(5), 90kgX 2(5)

Bent Over Rows (SG)~ 90kgX7, 95kgX5, 100kgX5, 105kgX3

Seated Good Mornings~ 135lbsX7, 155lbsX5, 175lbsX5, 195lbsX3

Felt good was done. I'll put the Face Pulls back in next week.

marcusmucheck
09-19-2009, 04:57 PM
looking good! do you like to put the chain in the middle of the bar or on the end?

BrotherIron
09-19-2009, 06:13 PM
looking good! do you like to put the chain in the middle of the bar or on the end?

I attach 2 chains, 1 on each end. It's 25lbs per chain. I have found this is really helping with my drive off the floor and acceleration.

BrotherIron
09-19-2009, 06:13 PM
WAVE 6 WAVE 1
CHEST:

Flat Bench Bar~ 235lbsX5, 265lbsX5, 295lbsX5

Flat DB Fly~ 60lbsX 2(12)

TRICEPS:

Close Grip Bench~ 245lbsX7, 265lbsX5, 285lbsX5, 305lbsX2

Skulls~ 75lbsX8, 95lbsX6, 115lbsX6

V-Bar Pressdown~ 180lbsX7, 200lbsX7, 220lbsX7

DB Kickbacks~ 30lbsX 2(12)

You may look and wonder why I close grip bench more than I flat bench the answer is I don't. My bench, squat, deadlift, and push press is all based of %'s. Today I did 65%, 75%, 85% of 90% of my 1RM on Flat Bench.

My left elbow was a bit uncomfortable so I didn't push it after my close grip bench.

Ninja Loco
09-20-2009, 03:16 AM
The Z press is hereby added to me repertoire.

Seriously, brah. I learn so much more from you and Sis than I can possibly ever give back. Glad you guys are here. Props and respect.

Sistersteel
09-20-2009, 03:17 AM

Seriously, brah. I learn so much more from you and Sis than I can possibly ever give back. Glad you guys are here. Props and respect.

Come train with us Ninja! :hmn:

Sistersteel
09-20-2009, 03:19 AM
i do like 1 arm dumbbell clean and presses. they are a fun way to end a shoulder workout.

....or end a shoulder. lol

Ninja Loco
09-20-2009, 03:24 AM
Come train with us Ninja! :hmn:
You have no idea, seriously, how bad and how much I would like that. Honest, i think about that a lot. I may notbe able to hang but just the sheer knowledge alone would be worth the trip.

BrotherIron
09-20-2009, 03:48 AM

Thanks bud. Like SS said, you should come out here and train with us.

Definitely put Z-Presses in your routine. I personally think they are far better than military presses in terms of strength gains.

Ninja Loco
09-20-2009, 04:07 AM
I know they;re totaly different and accomplish different things. But for a fighter.....Z press, snatch and jerk, or both?

BrotherIron
09-20-2009, 04:19 AM
I know they;re totaly different and accomplish different things. But for a fighter.....Z press, snatch and jerk, or both?

You mean Clean & Jerk bud. For you I would do Clean & Press. The Jerk doesn't build muscle mass or strength imho. Jerking a weight is dropping under it and locking out your arms at the same time so all it demands is that your arms be able to support the weight overhead but work performed is very little if any.

In terms of which should you do, I would actually say both. One is full body and the other is upper body. You don't have to do them at the same time and if you're doing other things like BJJ or some MMA I would watch overtaxing yourself. With these movements you need plenty of rest.

Ninja Loco
09-20-2009, 04:58 AM
Dang, lol @ my bad terminology..... Anyways cool then i will do both. I'll try that Z press tomorrow.

robert da strongman
09-20-2009, 08:19 AM
You have no idea, seriously, how bad and how much I would like that. Honest, i think about that a lot. I may notbe able to hang but just the sheer knowledge alone would be worth the trip.

if you go i will go

BrotherIron
09-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Dang, lol @ my bad terminology..... Anyways cool then i will do both. I'll try that Z press tomorrow.

Cool. Be sure to REALLLLLY arch your back. Don't slouch. There is nothing supporting it so you can hurt yourself if you don't really arch it when you lift heavier weights. Also, bring the bar down to your clavicles in a slow controlled manner. Than press the bar up in an explosive manner.

I'm sure you'll love'm.

Ninja Loco
09-20-2009, 04:39 PM
if you go i will go
Its a date!! No serioulsy, if they dont mind then you and I can hook up on a hotel room and shit an plan something. I can only get away periodicaly since it costs me bukoo money to be away and right now I have Nationals on the radar. Wont be able to do anything until then, but hell yeah Im in. And exited too.

Cool. Be sure to REALLLLLY arch your back. Don't slouch. There is nothing supporting it so you can hurt yourself if you don't really arch it when you lift heavier weights. Also, bring the bar down to your clavicles in a slow controlled manner. Than press the bar up in an explosive manner.

I'm sure you'll love'm.
Shit man Im glad you got the patience to be dealing with the likes of me cause this is all 100% new to me, I see. I mean.... you know, we all lift weights and all the frikkin weights really do is go up and down. But Im starting to see that there are minute but extremely significant differences between BBing and power and strength training. So....

I had always been under the impression that aching your back during any overhead press was bad.

Two... We work on time under tension and continuous tension when we train. Was also under the impression that bringing the weight to the clavicle was bad on the rotator cuffs.

Please enlighten. These babies are added as of today.

BrotherIron
09-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Its a date!! No serioulsy, if they dont mind then you and I can hook up on a hotel room and shit an plan something. I can only get away periodicaly since it costs me bukoo money to be away and right now I have Nationals on the radar. Wont be able to do anything until then, but hell yeah Im in. And exited too.

Shit man Im glad you got the patience to be dealing with the likes of me cause this is all 100% new to me, I see. I mean.... you know, we all lift weights and all the frikkin weights really do is go up and down. But Im starting to see that there are minute but extremely significant differences between BBing and power and strength training. So....

I had always been under the impression that aching your back during any overhead press was bad.

Two... We work on time under tension and continuous tension when we train. Was also under the impression that bringing the weight to the clavicle was bad on the rotator cuffs.

Please enlighten. These babies are added as of today.

Yes there are HUGE differences when your training for BBing and when you're training for Strength. Just wait till I make my thread about how to clean properly. There is more involved with it than you think like flaring your lats and holding that pose during the initial pull.

SS and I definitely don't mind whatsoever if you'd like to come and train with us. It would be great. We love training with our friends so anytime you want just let us know and we'll make sure you don't pay anything to train with us.

No you want to arch your back to keep pressure on the spine. Keep your core tight. That will prevent injury. When you're performing exercises like these and Oly lifts, arch your back and when you think it's arched enough arch it some more.

Bringing a weight down to the clavicles isn't bad for the rotator as long as your flexibile in the shoulder girdle. It's something you have to work on just like when I perform my squat + behind the neck snatch grip press. I had to work up to performing the movement I couldn't just do it. Try lower a broomstick to the back of your neck, behind your head till it touches your back. Than press it overhead bringing your head through after the bar rises. It's quite difficult but with time you'll be able to do this and it will increase shoulder flexibility and strength which leads to less injury. BBers get so many shoulder injuries imho b/c they're inflexible.

When you train shoulders the first thing you need to do is buy a green band to stretch with. The differing colors indicate the amount of resistance which the band provides. Green's are good for this. You than perform the shoulder loosening exercise I posted with the band. This will build flexibility in the shoulders allowing you to perform exericses which you thought were not possible to do. Trust me, if you asked me to do some of the stuff I do now 3 years ago I would have laughed in your face, but I'm doing them now and I'm injury free and stronger b/c of them.

Most of what we learn as bodybuilders is nothing but old wives tales, when you take the time research and talk to strength and conditioning coaches about certain things you find out the truth. For example, everyone says squatting below parallel is bad for the knees. You may not know this, but it's actually MUCH better to squat below parallel for your knees than to stop at parallel. And I research the hell out of that b/c I've had both knees completely replaced. Total reconstruction, not just some torn tendon or muscle. Which is also the reason my squats will never be what they could be b/c I don't push my legs like I should for fear of something happening.

Ninja Loco
09-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Now see thats what I like. You explain things and give proper reference and not only is it easy for me to understand, I can then pass it on to my trainees. Ive never been the type of trainer who said "well it's just the way it's supposed to be done". See now I can go to one of my clients and fully explain why she must work on squatting past parallel as she has had knee surgery as well. Just not completely replaced.

So arching the back keeps the pressue on the spine, and lowring the weight to the clavicles provided I work on flexibility. Hmph....... as a martia artist you'd have thought I'd pay as much attention to my shoulder flexibility as I do to my legs.

BrotherIron
09-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Now see thats what I like. You explain things and give proper reference and not only is it easy for me to understand, I can then pass it on to my trainees. Ive never been the type of trainer who said "well it's just the way it's supposed to be done". See now I can go to one of my clients and fully explain why she must work on squatting past parallel as she has had knee surgery as well. Just not completely replaced.

So arching the back keeps the pressue on the spine, and lowring the weight to the clavicles provided I work on flexibility. Hmph....... as a martia artist you'd have thought I'd pay as much attention to my shoulder flexibility as I do to my legs.

This type of training will help increase your flexibility which should translate into becoming better at MMA.

BrotherIron
09-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Cardio today was 40min on the Elliptical. I kept my heart rate right around 130bpm.

I was happy to get 3x cardio this week which is my goal. The first was only 20min but next week I'll be back to doing 40min 3x wk.

BrotherIron
09-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Well it's been pouring here for the past 5 days nonstop. So I wasn't in the mood to train today but I gotta admit once I was there and got my mind right I had a great day.

WAVE 6 WEEK 2
LEGS:

Squats~ 155kgX3, 170kgX3, 192.5kgX3

Front Squat~ 100kgX7, 115kgX5, 130kgX5, 140kgX3
This was a AWESOME workout. 140 is another PR and to hit a triple was fan-fucking-tastic.

RDL~ 120kgX7, 145kgX5, 165kgX5, 175kgX3
This was hard as hell b/c the Front Squats really took it out of me. I had to dig deep for this.

Behind Back Squat~ 80kgx 2(10)

When I was done with this I was spent but happy as hell.

marcusmucheck
09-21-2009, 07:32 PM
hey brother iron,
whats a behind the back sq?

BrotherIron
09-21-2009, 07:57 PM
hey brother iron,
whats a behind the back sq?

Behind Back Squat is like a deadlift using a cambered bar placed behind you and standing on a small block of wood under your heal to engage the quad. Coffee calls it an old school hack.

Also, I use metal 10kg plates so that I get down really deep in the position to work on flexibility and hammer those quads.

Ninja Loco
09-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Added the Z press today........Very interesting. I can only handle 65 pounds while keeping an eye on what you said.

BrotherIron
09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Added the Z press today........Very interesting. I can only handle 65 pounds while keeping an eye on what you said.

It's hard as hell isn't it. lol Yeah it takes some getting used to but it will really help make you stronger and it well worth learning.

BrotherIron
09-22-2009, 05:07 PM
40min on the Elliptical today. Kept HR @ 130bpm. Back on schedule now with my cardio.

Tomorrow is Shoulder/Bi.

lilfella
09-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Glad to hear I am not the only one who has trouble with these.

toddbz
09-22-2009, 06:22 PM

Plus watch what happens to your core/abdominal strength. With no legs as support the torso has some heavy duties in this one. Excellent exercise for an athlete.
I do mine in a power rack so if it gets away from me I'm not going to loose an eye or some shit.

BrotherIron
09-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Plus watch what happens to your core/abdominal strength. With no legs as support the torso has some heavy duties in this one. Excellent exercise for an athlete.
I do mine in a power rack so if it gets away from me I'm not going to loose an eye or some shit.

That's exactly how I do mine. I do them sitting in a custom cage for that exact same reason. If it gets away from me, I can bail and not get hurt.

BrotherIron
09-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I still have 2 weeks left on Wave 6 but things are going to change for the next wave. Here is what my next routine is going to look like for the next 2 waves if anyone would like to know. I may make some changes before I start Wave 7.

LEGS~
Squats
Front Squats
Jefferson Lft
SLDL w/ Bar on Platform
1 Leg Squat on Bench

SHOULDER~
Push Press
Squat + Snatch Grip Press (behind neck)
1-Arm DB Press
Clean off Block
BICEPS~
Preacher Curl

BACK~
Deadlift w/ Chain
Clean Pulls off Blocks
T-Bar Row (use V-bar with oly bar)
Standing Good Mornings
Pull Throughs

CHEST~
Flat Bench Bar
Incline DB Fly
TRICEPS~
Close Grip Bench
Weighted Dips
Skullcruchers
1-Arm OH Ext

BrotherIron
09-24-2009, 12:01 AM
I didn't have any tape to wrap my wrists so I didn't do Z-Presses. They really aggravate my wrists. Also, some jackass wannabee lifter came in today and sat in the squat cage all afternoon doing squats with play weight. Oh well, I'll hit them next time. I was however, very pleased with my workout today.

WAVE 6 WEEK2
SHOULDER:

Push Press~ 77.5kgX3, 88kgX3, 100kgX5
100kg felt easy as hell. I was happy with that and I wil adjust my numbers to be more aggressive since I wasn't even supposed to press 100kg toay yet I hit 5 without a problem.

Squat + SG Press (behind)~ 60kgX7, 75kgX5, 85kgX5, 95kgX3
95kg is the highest I have gone with thise exercise and I'm confident I'll hit 100kg next week.

Hang Clean~ 40kgX3, 50kgX3, 60kgX3, 70kgX3, 80kgX3
Finally I was ableto put a lil more weight on the bar. 80kg didn't feel hard but I really need to hit that shrug hard. If no one is looking next week I'll go heavy and see where I end up. lol

BICEPS:
Alt DB Curl~ 60lbX 2(6), 70lbX4

Today was a good day. I also have a new exercise I'll be implementing in 8 weeks to take the place of the second exercise on today routine. I'll be doing Power Jerks (SG behind) + OH Squat. That is going to be helluva exercise.

Ninja Loco
09-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Im also liking the idea of an overhead squat.

Please explain "waves". Or have you already.....?

BrotherIron
09-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Im also liking the idea of an overhead squat.

Please explain "waves". Or have you already.....?

Waves are cycles, which for me last 4 weeks. I train heavy and hard for 3 weeks and the 4th week is a deload week. This deload week gives my CNS a break and my body one as well.

You can only push yourself for so long before the body breaks down which leads to overtraining or injury. This is what I'm trying to prevent.

I adjust my routine every 2 waves since that equals to 6 weeks of hard training but eventually once I have enough exercises and know what works best and what doesn't I'll switch exercises every wave. Thats the conjugate method which allows you to continually make progress without stalling. There are a dozens of derivations of every exercise so you can adjust your training every wave without a problem.

Ninja Loco
09-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Ah, cycles. Yes I understand. Word. I too advocate a deload week or even 7-10 days off after every 6-8 week lifting cycle depending on the circumstances. Not many people do this, unfortunately.

BrotherIron
09-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Ah, cycles. Yes I understand. Word. I too advocate a deload week or even 7-10 days off after every 6-8 week lifting cycle depending on the circumstances. Not many people do this, unfortunately.

If you want to train for strength it's a must. If you don't give your body time to recoop and rest you'll only injure yourself. Trust me I know this all to well.

I even take a week off for my deload every couple of deloads to give my body a whole week of nothing but rest. So I may take a week off on my 3rd deload week so it would be 1 week off every 12 weeks.

toddbz
09-24-2009, 07:01 PM
If you want to train for strength it's a must. If you don't give your body time to recoop and rest you'll only injure yourself. Trust me I know this all to well.

I even take a week off for my deload every couple of deloads to give my body a whole week of nothing but rest. So I may take a week off on my 3rd deload week so it would be 1 week off every 12 weeks.

Since in waves you train with much higher intensity right?
How do you prioritize your load percantages?
I've normally done 65, 80, 90, then max week. Followed by a super low effort deload week.

BrotherIron
09-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Since in waves you train with much higher intensity right?
How do you prioritize your load percantages?
I've normally done 65, 80, 90, then max week. Followed by a super low effort deload week.

I do mine like this; Wk1 65/75/85%, Wk2 70/80/90%, Wk3 75/85/95%, Wk4 50% deload. Than Repeat. I add 10lbs to my back, 7lbs to shoulders & legs, and 5lbs to chest with each new wave. I sometimes may add more or less depending on how my lifting went.

toddbz
09-25-2009, 03:33 PM
I do mine like this; Wk1 65/75/85%, Wk2 70/80/90%, Wk3 75/85/95%, Wk4 50% deload. Than Repeat. I add 10lbs to my back, 7lbs to shoulders & legs, and 5lbs to chest with each new wave. I sometimes may add more or less depending on how my lifting went.

Oh I like that!

BrotherIron
09-25-2009, 10:02 PM
I was in a rush to train today b/c SS and I are moving this weekend into a new place. The training went well though. I cut it a bit short. I didn't do my facepulls but got everything I essential done.

WAVE 6 WEEK 2
BACK:

Deadlift + Chain~ 165kgX3, 185kgX3, 202.5kgX3
I do traditional deadlifts and the chain adds 45lbs to the total so my last set was 490.5 lbs at lockout. They were very easy. I'm going to switch over to bands in place of chains after Dec.

Clean Pulls from Hang~ 80kgX5, 90kgX3 X5, 95kgX5
Of course I do these with a hook grip. They went well.

Bent Over Rows~ 80kgX7, 90kgX5, 95kgX5, 105kgX3
I did these with a hook grip. I want to get used to handling heavy weights with the hook grip.

Seated Good Mornings~ 135lbsX7, 155lbsX5, 175lbsX5, 195lbxX3

That was it. I knocked it out in 1hour and 5min. I was impressed I knocked it out so fast.

BrotherIron
10-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Well, I was going to take the rest of the week off since SS and I have been moving for the past 4 days. I decided to go and train and will be training Thur, Fri, and Sat. I'll be leaving out Chest again but will be sure to include it next week.

WAVE 6 WEEK 3
LEGS:

Squat~ 165kgX5 185kgX3, 202.5kgX1

Front Squat~ 100kgX7, 120kgX5, 135kgX5, 145kgX2

RDL~ 120kgX7, 140kgX5, 160kgX5, 175kgX3

Behind Back Squat~ 70kgX6, 80kgX6

BrotherIron
10-03-2009, 05:48 PM
I cut the workout a bit short since I am training tomorrow and I'm behind this week from the move.

WAVE 6 WEEK3
SHOULDERS:

Push Press~ 85kgX5, 95kgX3, 105kgX2

Squat + SG Behind Neck Press~ 65kgX6, 80kgX5, 90kgX5, 100kgX2
100kg was heavy as hell. Probably should have gone with 95kg today b/c I was dragging ass a bit.

Hang Clean Pull + Hang Clean~ 40kgX3/3 x3/3, 50kgX3/3, 60kgX3/3
I was spent so I didn't push it this workout. I haven't been eating nearly as much as I should the past week. I actually dropped about 9lbs from the move since I wasn' able to eat like I should.

BICEPS:
Alt DB Curl~ 60lbX8, 70lbX4 X4

I'm going to hit back tomorrow and it will probably be abridged.

BrotherIron
10-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Well I have always used an under/over grip when pulling for the Deadlift. I slightly strained my left lat and I think that is because I used the over/under grip. I'm going to use a double over hook grip from now on and I think that will end my left side issues I seem to be plagued with.

I'm not going to use straps obviously since that weakens my grip but I stop using the old grip and get used to the hook grip.

I stopped after my deadlifts so I didn't exacerbate the strain. I know I'll be back to 100% in a couple of days and this coming week is a deload week so I'll be fine.

WAVE 6 WEEK 3
BACK:

Deadlift+ Chain~ 170kgX5, 195kgX3, 210kgX1
210+chain is 510lbs which isn't bad. I pulled 550 earlier but am on schedule to make my goal by the end of the year as long as I can stay healthy and get used to the hook grip. I use it already for every other movement.

I have also decided not to train back to back ever again. I need those off days to rest from the brutal workout the day before.

robert da strongman
10-04-2009, 04:56 PM
with my new work schedule i have to lift back to back. it sucks...but i am getting used to it

BrotherIron
10-04-2009, 09:03 PM
with my new work schedule i have to lift back to back. it sucks...but i am getting used to it

Wow, I would hate to have to do that. I think not having a day off in betw didn't help matters and the fact I had so much going on.

robert da strongman
10-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Wow, I would hate to have to do that. I think not having a day off in betw didn't help matters and the fact I had so much going on.

yeah i learn to enjoy the rest i get at work.
3 days jockeying a desk makes for good rest.

smj091977
10-05-2009, 11:25 AM
What are these kg things you speak of? :) Damned powerlifters and their superior form of weight measurement. Let me see, where is that calculator...

robert da strongman
10-05-2009, 11:28 AM
What are these kg things you speak of? :) Damned powerlifters and their superior form of weight measurement. Let me see, where is that calculator...

multiply or divide by 2.2

its a shame that they throw math into this.
me like lifting rock.

BrotherIron
10-05-2009, 02:00 PM

To convert kg to lbs just do this; multiply the number by 2 and add 10% of the number. So for 140kg, it's 280lbs + 28lbs = 308lbs.

You'll find that Oly lifters and just about everyone who is outside the US talks in Kilo's and not Lbs. It took me sometime too but now I feel weird when I spell some weight out in lbs.

smj091977
10-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Thats it, I am going to start using the British stone system! A sample of my workout journal that I will never actually do: :faces:
"16 stone stone to 50 in
18 stone stone to 50 in"

BrotherIron
10-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Thats it, I am going to start using the British stone system! A sample of my workout journal that I will never actually do: :faces:
"16 stone stone to 50 in
18 stone stone to 50 in"

lol, we could start our own measurement system; pebble, stone, boulder.

smj091977
10-05-2009, 03:10 PM
LOL! Good call

BrotherIron
10-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Well I'm resting my left lat so I took it easy on my RDL's. Good thing this is my deload week.

WAVE 6 WEEK 4
LEGS

Squats~ 95kgX5, 117kgX5, 135kgX5

Front Squats~ 70kgX6, 80kgX6, 90kgX6
I was feeling good so I threw in an extra rep. I'm only supposed to do 5's.

Behind Back Squat~ 50kgX 3(10)

RDL w/ Snatch Grip~ 40kgX 2(10)
I used a SG so I would get some blook flow into my left lat and stretch it a bit to help it heal.

We'll see how it feels when it comes time to Dead this week.

toddbz
10-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Well I have always used an under/over grip when pulling for the Deadlift. I slightly strained my left lat and I think that is because I used the over/under grip. I'm going to use a double over hook grip from now on and I think that will end my left side issues I seem to be plagued with.

I'm not going to use straps obviously since that weakens my grip but I stop using the old grip and get used to the hook grip.

I stopped after my deadlifts so I didn't exacerbate the strain. I know I'll be back to 100% in a couple of days and this coming week is a deload week so I'll be fine.

Pretty much the reason why I went to hook grip. I was constantly straining my right side glute tie-in on deads (my under hand side).
Hope the lat feels better real soon.

Hey BI here's a question. I've started putting power cleans into my routine, yet I really don't have anyone to teach form. Yeah there's one Oly guy at my gym but him and I can never seem to connect. Any tips/vids/anything you'd reccomend? Thanks in advance

BrotherIron
10-06-2009, 10:29 PM
I have a thread on my other board about Power Cleans. I'll post it here for you bud.

The lat does feel better and I'm sure by the end of the week it should be back to normal. Not to mention the week after isn't a very heavy week so it shouldn't set me back.

Pretty much the reason why I went to hook grip. I was constantly straining my right side glute tie-in on deads (my under hand side).
Hope the lat feels better real soon.

Hey BI here's a question. I've started putting power cleans into my routine, yet I really don't have anyone to teach form. Yeah there's one Oly guy at my gym but him and I can never seem to connect. Any tips/vids/anything you'd reccomend? Thanks in advance

toddbz
10-07-2009, 03:49 PM
I have a thread on my other board about Power Cleans. I'll post it here for you bud.

The lat does feel better and I'm sure by the end of the week it should be back to normal. Not to mention the week after isn't a very heavy week so it shouldn't set me back.

Perfect! And thank you so much!

BrotherIron
10-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Well another day of resting my lat and enjoying my deload week.

WAVE 6 WEEK 4
SHOULDER

Push Press~ 55kgX5, 62kgX5, 72.5kgX5

Squat + SG Press~ 60kgX 3(5)

Hang Clean Pull + Hang Clean~ 40kgX3/3, 50kgX3/3 x3/3

BICEPS

Alt DB Curl~ 35lbX 3(8)

BrotherIron
10-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Well I used the hookgrip for the first time for my deadlifts since pulling my left lat. My lat feels good. It's going to take some time to get used to hooking my deads.

I also trained at LA Fitness so I could make it very quick and get back to help SS train for the Lutador Nationals tomorrow.

WAVE 6 WEEK 4
BACK:

Deadlift~ 225lbsx5, 275lbsx5, 315lbsx5
I don't use chains during my deload week.

Bent Over Rows~ 135lbsx8, 155lbsx8, 175lbsx8

Clean Pulls from Hang~ 135lbsx5, 155lbsx5, 175lbsx5

Seated Good Morning~ 135lbsx 3(6)

toddbz
10-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Seems (for me at least) the narrower the grip the most pressure on the thumb

BrotherIron
10-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Seems (for me at least) the narrower the grip the most pressure on the thumb

I keep my regular grip. I never thought if I felt it more or less when doing snatch grip width.

BrotherIron
10-11-2009, 07:11 PM
WAVE 6 WEEK 4
CHEST:

Flat Bench~ 165lbsX5, 185lbsX5, 225lbsX5

CG Bench~ 185lbsX 3(5)

TRI's:

Skulls~ 75lbsX 3(7)

V-Bar Pressdowns~ 50lbsX7, 60lbsX7, 70lbsX7

This was an easy deload workout. I have missed the last 2 chest/tri workouts. These though are the numbers I'm supposed to lift. Lat felt great today with the benching.

Ninja Loco
10-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Missed this. Catching up tonight...

Anyways yeah thats how I do them because I initially couldnt do them anywhere else. Turns out it was the right move then, lol.

BrotherIron
10-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Missed this. Catching up tonight...

Anyways yeah thats how I do them because I initially couldnt do them anywhere else. Turns out it was the right move then, lol.

Yup, that is how you want to do them. I'll be subbing in 1-Arm DB OH Presses for the Z-Press.

BrotherIron
10-13-2009, 12:17 AM
This was by far the best leg workout I've had in a bit. I couldn't believe how light the weights felt.

WAVE 7 WEEK 1
LEGS:

Squats~ 147.5kgX5, 165kgX5, 185kgX5

Front Squats~ 100kgX6, 120kgX4, 140kgX4, 150kgX2 (PR!!!!)
I was completely taken how light the weight felt for the front squats

Jefferson Lifts~ 100kgX6, 120kgX4, 130kgX4, 140kgX2

SLDL on Platform~ 100kgX6, 110kgX4, 120kgX4

I was happy as hell with that 150kg (330lbs) Front Squat for a double.

toddbz
10-13-2009, 02:35 PM
I keep my regular grip. I never thought if I felt it more or less when doing snatch grip width.

Interesting. You're probably just more used to it than I am. On Snatch grip I have little to no pressure on my thumb. While narrow I'm good for maybe 3 sets of triples then 3 days of numbness.

BrotherIron
10-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Interesting. You're probably just more used to it than I am. On Snatch grip I have little to no pressure on my thumb. While narrow I'm good for maybe 3 sets of triples then 3 days of numbness.

I probably am used to it. One thing you should try if you don't already is to take your thumb and middle finger. This will help with grip and take a lil pressure off the thumb. Also in time that area of the thumb will thicken a lil and I think the nerves die honestly.

toddbz
10-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I probably am used to it. One thing you should try if you don't already is to take your thumb and middle finger. This will help with grip and take a lil pressure off the thumb. Also in time that area of the thumb will thicken a lil and I think the nerves die honestly.

Just starting taping. Helped a bunch for sure. a single effort is no problem, but after multiple sets is where it comes in handy for sure.

BrotherIron
10-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Just starting taping. Helped a bunch for sure. a single effort is no problem, but after multiple sets is where it comes in handy for sure.

The worst for me is doing hang cleans when you don't put the weight down after cleaning it. Having to hold it for triples and not put it down without using straps is murder.

toddbz
10-13-2009, 03:29 PM
The worst for me is doing hang cleans when you don't put the weight down after cleaning it. Having to hold it for triples and not put it down without using straps is murder.

Didn't tape the last time I did hang cleans and even with super light weight I got some spots worn through.

BrotherIron
10-15-2009, 02:00 AM
I've been a bit under the weather. I didn't train biceps tonight b/c i was feeling like shit but had a decent shoulder workout.

WAVE 7 WEEK 1
SHOULDER:

Push Press~ 77.5kgX5, 87.5kgX5, 95kgX5

SQ + SG Press~ 70kgX6, 80kgX4, 90kgX4, 100kgX2

Hang Cleans~ 40kgX3, 50kgX3, 60kgX3

Standing 1-Arm DB Press~ 60lbsX 2(6), 65lbsX6

That was it. No bicep workout this time. I'll throw it in with Chest/Tri

rinse
10-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Do you train to compete?

BrotherIron
10-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Do you train to compete?

I haven't competed in Oly Lifting but have been asked if I would like to start training with the sole objective to compete in Oly Lifting. I doubt I will though considering I have had complete knee replacement in both legs from a degenerative bone disease and squatting 3-5 week doesn't sound to inviting. When you are stuck in a wheelchair for over a year and have gone through years of rehab you do everything you can to stay away from that again.

I will compete in a raw PL meet soon though, in the deadlift. If I had someone to train with I think I would try my hand at Strongman but without people to train with that is going to sit on the back burner.

Ninja Loco
10-15-2009, 02:54 PM
I haven't competed in Oly Lifting but have been asked if I would like to start training with the sole objective to compete in Oly Lifting. I doubt I will though considering I have had complete knee replacement in both legs from a degenerative bone disease and squatting 3-5 week doesn't sound to inviting. When you are stuck in a wheelchair for over a year and have gone through years of rehab you do everything you can to stay away from that again.

I will compete in a raw PL meet soon though, in the deadlift. If I had someone to train with I think I would try my hand at Strongman but without people to train with that is going to sit on the back burner.
I see possible continuous trips from Florida to GA by a prospective pro strongman in your future. :)

Other than that, Im going to make it a point to come at least a couple times a year to train with you and Sis. Only Im not near what you need for help.

Taping: please explain. I think I know but Ive learned my lesson about surmising when it comes to this. All your other advise has come through and I want to learn this too.

BrotherIron
10-15-2009, 03:01 PM
I see possible continuous trips from Florida to GA by a prospective pro strongman in your future. :)

Other than that, Im going to make it a point to come at least a couple times a year to train with you and Sis. Only Im not near what you need for help.

Taping: please explain. I think I know but Ive learned my lesson about surmising when it comes to this. All your other advise has come through and I want to learn this too.

I would welcome training with Rob. Strongman is something I have a big interest in since it's comprised of strength, speed, cooridination, agility, etc. Not like in PL where it's just brute strength. Lift a weight and get the nod.

You have an open invitation to train with SS and me anytime. We would love for ya to come and train with us. Just having people to train with helps.

When you see me and Todd talk about taping, we are referring to actually taping our thumbs and middle finger. The middle finger is what is wrapped over your thumb when using the hook grip. I use the white lifting tape you can get at sports authority or anywhere else. This helps hold the bar by creating more friction and something to grab onto. It also makes it a bit easier for your thumbs since the weight of the bar is placed on your thumb and if you're not used to it you'll find it to be quite uncormfortable.

Ninja Loco
10-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Ah I see!!!

Now see that? Here I thought it was a wrapping of the hands almost like what a fighter does except more support on the wrist. Or taping fingers together like the football players. WOW, lol.

BrotherIron
10-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Ah I see!!!

Now see that? Here I thought it was a wrapping of the hands almost like what a fighter does except more support on the wrist. Or taping fingers together like the football players. WOW, lol.

Not at all. When you don't wrap your thumbs and one finger you'll find the pain to be much greater than if you tape them exp when you do doubles or triples with a weight. It's not so bad when you do singles.

And usually what most do is take 2 small strips and put one above the bend on the thumb and one below. That keeps you able to still use your thumb while alleviating some of the pain. On the middle finger and if you want the forefinger too, you wrap just the top to help with grip.

Try this and let me know if it helps.

Ninja Loco
10-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Im going to sports authority today but wont get to use it for another day or so when I hit back again. Im having to rely on nothing but smith presses for delts for a while since the upper forearm pain is excruciating. I cant do any type of lateral, upright row or curl.

BrotherIron
10-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Im going to sports authority today but wont get to use it for another day or so when I hit back again. Im having to rely on nothing but smith presses for delts for a while since the upper forearm pain is excruciating. I cant do any type of lateral, upright row or curl.

Where did that pain stem from? What caused it?

Ninja Loco
10-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Where did that pain stem from? What caused it?
MY gues is since i never really trained grip or upper forearms directly it started with the snatch and press. Im sure I was executing it wrong even in spite of being shown how to do it right but thats where it started. It's not the whole forearm, just the upper/inner part. What you see when doing hammer curls. It hurts to even lift a 5pnd plate palm down. Hammer or palm up is no problem.

BrotherIron
10-15-2009, 04:51 PM
MY gues is since i never really trained grip or upper forearms directly it started with the snatch and press. Im sure I was executing it wrong even in spite of being shown how to do it right but thats where it started. It's not the whole forearm, just the upper/inner part. What you see when doing hammer curls. It hurts to even lift a 5pnd plate palm down. Hammer or palm up is no problem.

Do you train regularly with straps? If you're not used to training without straps it's going to take some time.

Ninja Loco
10-15-2009, 04:59 PM
50/50. I use them only on the heaviest deads, pulls and shrugs. Never used them on the snatch and press though. I really need to take a pic of my forearms because now they do look awesome.

rinse
10-15-2009, 06:05 PM

Ok good that you have something to train for. I hope you do everything you have in you to reach your goals. If you do that it can only turn out one way. I don't like the expretion "good luck" because it has nothing to do with luck but GOOD LUCK!

Where's you sticking point in the deadlift?

Sorry for being kind of rude in the other thread. I think we share similar interests so it would pretty dumb to fight over such stupid thing.

BrotherIron
10-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Ok good that you have something to train for. I hope you do everything you have in you to reach your goals. If you do that it can only turn out one way. I don't like the expretion "good luck" because it has nothing to do with luck but GOOD LUCK!

Where's you sticking point in the deadlift?

Sorry for being kind of rude in the other thread. I think we share similar interests so it would pretty dumb to fight over such stupid thing.

I just want my deadlift in the 6's before I hit a competition. I've hit 627lbs when I was 30lbs heavier but since dropping the weight I've pulled 550lbs. It felt quite light and I'm sure I'll hit 585 or thereabouts this Dec. I use an oly bar which has very lil give and has a snap to it. I've been told I should be able to lift more if I use an oakey deadlift bar which is what is used in the meet. It supposedly hs alot of give (bar bend) which shortens the ROM a bit. I am working with chains right now to increase my speed strength so I accelerate faster. I'm toying with the idea of switching to bands to continue progress. I'm also going to tweak my training regimen. I plan on dropping my 6-4-4-2 scheme on my assisting exercises and in place use 5-5-5-5 wk1, 3-3-3-3 wk2, 5-3-3-1 wk3 rep/set scheme.

I'll be going to a PL Meet this Sat to support some friends of mine who are competing. I'll also be able to meet the owner of NGBB (North GA Barbell) and get to talk to the elite lifters there. NGBB is an invite only gym, pretty much like Coffee's but where Coffee's is the place to train for oly lifting, NGBB is the place to train or PLing. I have no intention of leaving Coffee's but it would be nice to pick some of the lifters brains.

No worries about the heated discussion on the other thread.

rinse
10-15-2009, 07:03 PM
The thing with me is that I actually lost a bit of power when I used a deadlift competition bar at the WPC European Championships. I'm explosive at the start and my sticking point is the lockout. But I have practiced to pull the tension out of the bar and I think I will have a more positive experience at the Worlds in Nov.

Speed pulls with bands are great. I have found great success with doing many diffrent kinds of DL's. But I train Westside with some of my own things I have found to work so it might not fit in your program.

Just don't overtrain your DL with all the Oly lifting you also do.

BrotherIron
10-15-2009, 08:13 PM
The thing with me is that I actually lost a bit of power when I used a deadlift competition bar at the WPC European Championships. I'm explosive at the start and my sticking point is the lockout. But I have practiced to pull the tension out of the bar and I think I will have a more positive experience at the Worlds in Nov.

Speed pulls with bands are great. I have found great success with doing many diffrent kinds of DL's. But I train Westside with some of my own things I have found to work so it might not fit in your program.

Just don't overtrain your DL with all the Oly lifting you also do.

That is my biggest concern actually, trying to find a happy medium and not overdue it. My goal is and has been to create a plan which combines PL, SM, and Oly Lifting in harmony and the key word is "harmony". It would seem it's a helluva lot easier to say than to do.

rinse
10-15-2009, 08:27 PM
That would seem like a pretty difficult thing to do especially with all the Oly specific training.

Maybe it would do you some good to focus on the specific task ahead say 12 weeks before and gear your training for your most important goal at the time.

BrotherIron
10-15-2009, 11:19 PM
That would seem like a pretty difficult thing to do especially with all the Oly specific training.

Maybe it would do you some good to focus on the specific task ahead say 12 weeks before and gear your training for your most important goal at the time.

I've been contemplating the idea of continuing in waves but have the waves incorp the different training styles and regimens, ie. 8 weeks of Oly Training, 8 weeks of SM, 8weeks of PL, and than repeat. That may be a better idea than to try to bring all 3 together at once.

Right now I'm very pleased with the results and so I'll keep it up till December at that time I'll probably tweak things a bit more than just changing rep/set schemes.

BrotherIron
10-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Well I'm still feeling like ass but was able to get a so-so workout. I hook gripped the first 2 sets but used straps on the third. I also didn't use chains for these deads. I was talking to some of the lifters, one in particular who used to compete in PLing. He feels that there are better ways to work my grip than by doing deadlifts. I think I'll take his advice, use oly straps w/ an overhand grip, and get back to business as usual.

WAVE 7 WEEK 1
BACK:

Deadlift~ 155kgX5, 175kgX3, 195kgX5
I will be using chains again next week. I'll also be using straps for 3 weeks and not use them for my deload week.

Standing GM (oly bar)~ 60kgX6, 70kgX4, 80kgX4, 90kgX3
I'll def be going up the next week. This wasn't too hard even feeling like ass.

T-Bar Rows~ 120lbsX6, 145lbsX6, 170lbsX6, 195lbsx6

That was it. I didn't want to push it to hard since I'm not 100%. I'll be adding Hypers and I may switch out T-Bar Rows for DB Rows.

bigdaddyd
10-16-2009, 07:27 PM
good training man

BrotherIron
10-16-2009, 08:24 PM
good training man

Thanks. I was happy with the lifts considering the way I feel and the fact I pulled my lat 2 weeks ago. B/c of that pull I'll be using straps and an overhand grip from now on when I deadlift.

BrotherIron
10-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Took it a bit easy today but am feeling better. I went to NGBB's PL Meet today and had a blast.

WAVE 7 WEEK 1
CHEST:
Flat Bench~ 235lbsX5, 265lbsX5, 295lbsX5

Close Grip Bench~ 225lbsX6, 245lbsX4, 265lbsX4

TRICEPS:
Skulls~ 75lbsX6, 95lbsX6, 115lbsX6, 125lbsX6

V-Bar Pressdown~ 70lbsX6, 90lbsX6, 110lbsX6

I'm going to starting pushing a bit harder next week. I'll also start putting 30min of cardio in 3x week as well.

marcusmucheck
10-17-2009, 07:29 PM
BI,
I read in another thread about how you said a lot of U.S. lifters use. I dont doubt you, in fact, I completely agree. Im not around as many athletes as you so without beating around the bush could you say about how many you think use? Im just curious because I had a coach before and we would often debate about the subject.

BrotherIron
10-17-2009, 09:19 PM
BI,
I read in another thread about how you said a lot of U.S. lifters use. I dont doubt you, in fact, I completely agree. Im not around as many athletes as you so without beating around the bush could you say about how many you think use? Im just curious because I had a coach before and we would often debate about the subject.

I would say more than 50% use and it also depends on the level of competiton. When I say "use", that doesn't only mean AAS. There are many banned supplements which athletes "use" for recovery, endurance, strength, etc.

crashcrew56
10-17-2009, 09:42 PM
took it a bit easy today but am feeling better. I went to ngbb's pl meet today and had a blast.

wave 7 week 1
chest:
flat bench~ 235lbsx5, 265lbsx5, 295lbsx5

close grip bench~ 225lbsx6, 245lbsx4, 265lbsx4

triceps:
skulls~ 75lbsx6, 95lbsx6, 115lbsx6, 125lbsx6

v-bar pressdown~ 70lbsx6, 90lbsx6, 110lbsx6

i'm going to starting pushing a bit harder next week. I'll also start putting 30min of cardio in 3x week as well.

ngbb?

BrotherIron
10-18-2009, 12:30 AM
ngbb?

NGBB = North Georgia Barbell. It was an APF Meet.

Ninja Loco
10-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Im still wondering why you have the V bar presses when you already did close grips. Tried to figure it out on my own but i guess Im still not that familiar with this kind of training.

BrotherIron
10-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Im still wondering why you have the V bar presses when you already did close grips. Tried to figure it out on my own but i guess Im still not that familiar with this kind of training.

I just do what I can come tricep time. I severly pulled my triceps earlier this year and didn't give it proper time to heal so I'm limited on what I can do when I work tri's. I still cant do overhead work which I like and dips aren't happening either. I should be able to correct the issue in a month or so though hopefully.

Ideally, I'd do different exercises from what I have listed but I have to work around that left tricep.

Ninja Loco
10-18-2009, 06:59 PM
I just do what I can come tricep time. I severly pulled my triceps earlier this year and didn't give it proper time to heal so I'm limited on what I can do when I work tri's. I still cant do overhead work which I like and dips aren't happening either. I should be able to correct the issue in a month or so though hopefully.

Ideally, I'd do different exercises from what I have listed but I have to work around that left tricep.
Ah ok. I honestly thought it was something specific cause YOU dont sound like you just work out for the fuck of it. This whole thing is very well planned.

BrotherIron
10-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Ah ok. I honestly thought it was something specific cause YOU dont sound like you just work out for the fuck of it. This whole thing is very well planned.

Def. Everything I do has a purpose and a reason usually, but with my tricep training I do what I can at the moment until I'm 100%. My current goals are to hit a 180kg Front Squat (400lb), 250kg Back Squat Oly Style (550lbs), 300kg Deadlift (660lb), and a 160kg Push Press (352lb). I'm not really interested in hitting a specific number in my bench.

BrotherIron
10-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Took today off since it was my birthday. I rested, ate, and got some great gifts.

I'll hit Legs tomorrow. Instead of Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat, I'll do Tue/Thur/Sat/Sun this week. I realize I'll be lifting 3 days in a row but Sun is Chest so I'm not worried about training 3x in a row.

BrotherIron
10-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Had a good leg workout today. For some reason the Jefferson Lift really took it out of me. I felt dizzy and light headed when I was done with them. I had 2 meals in me before I lifted and plenty of water so I'm not sure why I felt that way. I guess I just really pushed myself today.

WAVE 7 WEEK 2
LEGS:

Squats~ 157.5kgX3, 177.5kgX3, 197.5kgX3

Front Squats~ 97.5kgX3, 112.5kgX3, 127.5kgX3

Jefferson Lift~ 100kgX6, 130kgX4, 140kgX4, 150kgX2

SLDL on Platform~ 100kgX6, 120kgX4, 130kgX4

I was literally spent after the third set on SLDL and didnt want to push it. This was a very good workout.

buckimscl
10-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I gotta ask Bro what's a Jefferson lift? Nevermind just binged it andI won't being doing that one anytime soon.

BrotherIron
10-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I gotta ask Bro what's a Jefferson lift? Nevermind just binged it andI won't being doing that one anytime soon.

It's a great lift to hit those quads and stress the lower back which is key in my training. Try it with light weight. The one thing I do differently though is I keep both hands in an overhand hook grip since my lat pull.

BrotherIron
10-22-2009, 11:34 PM
I didn't do cleans b/c my right knee has felt a bit odd so I'll do them with back on Sat.

WAVE 7 WEEK2
SHOULDERS:
Push Press~ 82.5kgX3, 92.5kgX3, 100kgX4

Squat + SG Press~ 80kgX6, 90kgX4, 100kgX3, 102.5kgX2
I was happy to hit 102.5kg. Thats a new PR for me. Next week I'll try to hit 105kg

Standing 1-Arm DB Press~ 60lbsX6, 70lbsX4, 75lbsX4, 80lbsX2

BICEPS:
Spider Curl~ 85lbsX 3(6)

Not a bad workout all in all. I had limited time, only 45min, and made the most out of it.