PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Mistake

lilfella
09-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Let us learn from your mistakes. So what was your biggest mistake or misconception in strength training?

BrotherIron
09-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Let us learn from your mistakes. So what was your biggest mistake or misconception in strength training?

My biggest mistake in strength training was just winging it. Having really no rhyme or reason why I was lifting what I was and no understanding of the science behind training. I thought I should just go in the gym, day in and day out and max out each and every week not realizing this would only lead to overtraining my CNS and also injury.

I didn't understand the science involved behind making continual gains over years and not just a couple of months. I came from bodybuilding, need I say more. lol

It wasn't till much later that I learned how to train properly. How to pick and choose exercises which will help further myself toward my goals. How to eat for athletics and not aesthetics and what it means to truly be strong.

realmccoy
09-01-2009, 06:54 PM
My mistake was training heavy all the time and not taking a break every four or sixth week to give my body a rest.

lilfella
09-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah my first year of training was just going to the gym and working out. No program just maybe upper body one day and lower body the next then cardio next day. I made gains but they were minimal in hindsight.

robert da strongman
09-01-2009, 06:56 PM
thinking i didnt need to eat during my first competition.

another...being way too serious and not having fun.

SlimTim
09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
For me it was following pro bodybuilders workout routines, I was training myself into the ground and not growing an inch. Especially my arms, I followed Arnolds arm routine that I found in a Flex magazine, it was 44 sets total and took me about 2.5 hours. Needless to say my arms never grew an inch the whole time I was doing that.

robert da strongman
09-01-2009, 09:19 PM
For me it was following pro bodybuilders workout routines, I was training myself into the ground and not growing an inch. Especially my arms, I followed Arnolds arm routine that I found in a Flex magazine, it was 44 sets total and took me about 2.5 hours. Needless to say my arms never grew an inch the whole time I was doing that.

think we have all done that

BrotherIron
09-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm actually amazed magazine companies can't be sued for the crap they claim in there ads and such.

robert da strongman
09-01-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm actually amazed magazine companies can't be sued for the crap they claim in there ads and such.

read MILO...no crap there

bigcountry86
09-20-2009, 10:39 PM
My main thing was over training. i used to workout with some older guys who just slaughtered every bodypart . over the years i have learened to workout smarter and have put on alot more muscle

toddbz
09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
My main thing was over training. i used to workout with some older guys who just slaughtered every bodypart . over the years i have learened to workout smarter and have put on alot more muscle

Or train exactly like your buddies cause it's 'what they do'.

J. Daniels
09-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Heavy behind-the-neck presses. Seemed so cool at the time. Now my shoulders are f'd.

smj091977
09-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Too many to count over the years. I did the 2-3 hour training with 40-50 sets. I have done the "try to max" every workout. I used to train, eat and then spend the rest of the night drinking beer. I once pulled a semi in a competition, without ever training for it. I used to run for 30-45 minutes right after working out. I used to buy only Muscletech supplements thinking they worked. I tried the Mike Mentzer HIT, and Static contraction by john little. not bad but no gains really. My most recent screw up was trying to go heavy every day in every workout without having "light" days. I stayed stagnant for months! Recently I have done a high rep (20 +/- leaving a few reps in the tank) endurance day, medium rep (8-12 maybe leaving 1 rep out), and max/heavy/low rep day (1-3, pushing to the limit). I have seen new maxes come out of this, but I am pretty sure 6 months to a year from now I will say how I would have been better off doing tabata/rest pause combinations or some other bizarre training techniques. Who the hell knows ;)

BrotherIron
09-22-2009, 05:11 PM
read milo...no crap there

milo????

smj091977
09-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Milo is a Powerlifting, Strongman, Weightlifting, Strength Athlete "magazine" from Ironmind. It comes out like four times a year. You can subscribe for around $40 ushttp://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/MILO/

Ninja Loco
09-23-2009, 08:50 AM
My biggest mistake was not learnig about strength training first. I jumped straight into bodybuilding doing every last single thing straight from out of Arnold's Encyclopedia. Pffft.... I was overtrained after the first workout.

tjoe
09-23-2009, 09:04 AM
I love Arnold, don't get me wrong... but his encyclopedia should be burned (based on information)... But I like the old school pix :)