PDA

View Full Version : italian sausage

jgrogs
09-02-2009, 12:23 AM
does anybody know the ingredients of italian sausage. I just had some and now I feel like crap. I am fairly sure that there is nothing of value in it.

maximusmac
09-02-2009, 04:17 AM
un-holy goodness would my my first guess...One of me favorite cheats

wikipedia-says

Italian sausage is a style of pork sausage which is noted for its seasoning of fennel and/or anise, containing at least 85% meat, which can be no more than 35% fat.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_sausage#cite_note-0) It is made in sweet and hot styles. It is generally not cured, and is normally grilled and eaten with giardiniera or other vegetables. A less widely available variety of kielbasa, the White Fresh (biała), which is sold uncooked and unsmoked, then usually boiled or cooked is said to taste similar to Italian sausage. There are commonly three varieties sold as "Italian Sausage" in the US. They are labeled hot, mild and sweet. The varieties contain varying spice blends. Basil is added to the mild blend to produce the sweet variety.
More generally, Italian cuisine has produced a variety of styles of sausage, many of which are quite distinct from the product generally known as Italian sausage in the United states. See the Italian Sausages category for more information.