PDA

View Full Version : Salmon/Weickert Drama

-Z-
09-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Before you read this I need to let you know that when he talks about "giving him the win" he's referring to Allan Weickert, one of my fighters. What pisses me off is how arrogant he is about his loss. He acts as if he gave him the fight because he wanted to. What a joke. I was 10ft. from that fucking cage, he was so gased that he couldn't defend the submission.

He is right in that he took Allan down. Controlling the fight...debatable. Allan had Sean in guard for 90% of the first round and continually worked for arm bars a triangles. Sean did out work him in striking though. Sean was relentless, he threw strikes constantly but he only landed 2-3 strikes.

The second round started and Allan hit Sean with a straight right and then a solid head kick. It didn't do much but stun him for a sec and then Sean took him down again. Allan was back to guard and Sean was too tired to defend the submissions. He was trying to strike and Allan caught his hand slid into the armbar, Sean had his hands clasped together for a second and then the grip broke, end of fight.

by Sean Salmon on Sep 02, 2009 at 3:00 pm ET

Here I am, back again! I'm sure some of you are wishing I would just go away. Not gonna happen as long as I have something to say, and right now I have a lot to say. But, I believe what I have to say this time just might embody the spirit of MMA.

Let's rewind to several months ago. I had pretty much let my personal life go to hell (not going into detail), so obviously my training was also nowhere near where it should have been. And to make matters worse, I decided to add excessive drinking to my growing list of problems.

Now it's June 3, and I am flying back to Columbus, Ohio, from Manchester, England, where I was training with Wolfslair helping some of the team's fighters prepare for their upcoming bouts. The plan was to fly in on June 3, fight in Cleveland on the 6th and then fly back to England on the 7th.

I left England and was given a very serious warning: "If you get hurt in that fight, don't bother coming back." My opponent for the fight was 6-6, so obviously getting back to England to learn and train with some of the best was my priority.

Seeing how my opponent had just a 6-6 record, I figured I could easily bully him into rolling over for me, collect the easy win, and return to England. But it didn't happen that way at all. Someone forgot to tell my opponent to roll over and quit.

I handled him very easily for the entire first round. He was able to land one very good elbow to my temple. I am embarrassed to admit that my first thought was that, "If he cut me and I can't go back to England, this is not worth it." How in the world could I be in a fight and think that if I got cut, it is not worth the win?

In the second round, I took him down again. He went for an armbar, I defended it (only to prove to myself that he couldn't get it), and then I put my arm back in to give him the win so that I could return to England, healthy. Just so you all know, that is the most embarrassing thing that I have ever admitted out loud.

It got even worse the next day when I got a call from England saying that they were all going to Germany for UFC 99 and it really wouldn't be worth it for me to return to England. My first thought was, "I got what I deserved."

I was miserable, depressed, I let me personal life continue to spiral out of control, and I figured more drinking was the answer.

I did absolutely no training for a month. I didn't run, I didn't lift, and I didn't even look at my boxing gloves. I wanted to quit fighting, but I didn't believe that was the answer either. I was so lost.

Then I got a call from Noah, the matchmaker for Ring of Combat (ringofcombat.com) in Atlantic City, N.J. He asked if I wanted to fight Dante Rivera, a former cast member from "The Ultimate Fighter," and that the fight was two months away. I couldn't say yes fast enough. Rivera is an opponent with a skill set that can beat me, but if I took advantage of all eight weeks available to me, my thought process was that I could beat him soundly and start climbing upward again. I felt re-motivated and was going to use Rivera as an excuse to put my life and my career back together.

All of a sudden, I had a reason to wake up again, a goal to toward which to strive. I still felt that I needed a little more change.

I had spent some time a year or two earlier training in Milwaukee (where I was born and still have a lot of family) at Duke Roufus' Gym (milwaukeemma.com). I had liked it there, but I felt that I didn't take full advantage of all the knowledge walking through Roufus' doors each day. So I called Duke and asked it I could return for a week or two. The next day I was driving the eight hours to Milwaukee.

Of course I have to thank my cousin Kyle, his amazing fiance Jenny, and Milo for letting me live with them. If you haven't met me, you might be surprised to learn that I am not always the best house guest.

I believe it was exactly one hour after my first workout at Duke's that I knew I had to spend all eight weeks before every fight there or move back home for good.

Everything had changed 100 percent for the better since my last time there. The gym had doubled in physical size, members, coaches and skill level. I was blown away! I didn't want to leave that first workout.

After the fourth day, I felt like a brand new person. I was re-motivated and re-energized. After one workout Duke looked at me and said, "When I first met you, you trained like a burned-out wrestler. Now you're like a little kid again, excited to learn." I could have run through a brick wall.

Along with all the other changes to that gym, Duke's coaching style seemed to have completely changed. I was there for several weeks and never once heard him talk of anything but fighting – just technique, philosophies, history, thoughts, experience, everything fighting-related. What is more impressive, I never saw him anything less than 100 percent enthusiastic. He had become the coach that motivates a whole room of athletes just by walking in the door, and his staff had followed his lead. I was the new guy, the visitor, and only a couple of them had remembered me from my last time there. Every coach there offered any amount of time and knowledge that I requested. I believe that Duke, his staff and his athletes have created a gym that will soon be recognized as one of the top five in the world to train.

I can't remember everyone's name there that I need to thank, but I need to thank Duke, Scott and Scott, "Red" Schafer, Pat Berry, Anthony "Showtime" Pettis, Razak Al-Hassan, Karl, the tall skinny BJJ coach, the 140-pound boxer that punches too hard, and everyone there for making me feel like part of the team.

A couple weeks ago when I decided that I wanted to write another column, I wanted to outline all the horrible things that the California State Athletic Commision did to me. (I still plan on doing that column.) But after spending time with Duke and his guys, I have a new attitude toward fighting and life in general.

I am still more than a little disappointed that I have not been paid what I was promised for my time in England and that phone calls and emails have been ignored, but I can write that off as a lesson learned.

I know that I have a mountain to climb, but isn't that what MMA is about – challenging yourself? I love a good challenge, I love to fight, but what is even more important is that I love to battle and I am finding my stride. And I think to myself, what a wonderful life.

I am fighting Dante Rivera on the Sept. 11 (my birthday) Ring of Combat card. I am then flying right back to Milwaukee on Sept. 12.

mmajunkie.com

-Z-
09-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Here are the pics from the fight.

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25646&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1248994478 (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25646&d=1248994478) http://forums.rxmuscle.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25647&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1248994478 (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25647&d=1248994478) http://forums.rxmuscle.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25648&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1248994478 (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25648&d=1248994478) http://forums.rxmuscle.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25649&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1248994478 (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25649&d=1248994478) http://forums.rxmuscle.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25650&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1248994478 (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25650&d=1248994478)

Plates
09-03-2009, 09:22 AM
I hate that fucking douche.

-Z-
09-03-2009, 09:24 AM
I hate that fucking douche.

Basically he's saying he threw the fight. Isn't that illegal. I hope Nevada bans his dumb ass.

BTW, I gave you 1000 credits, you're welcome.

Mirko Cro Cop
09-03-2009, 09:27 AM
He needs this to happen again

YouTube - Rashad Evans Head Kick Knockout

-Z-
09-03-2009, 09:28 AM

YouTube - Rashad Evans Head Kick Knockout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnkI3EcreHA)

He just wanted to show that he could take the kick.

Plates
09-03-2009, 09:28 AM
lmao! Thanks, I just seen that!

It would be an epic battle of the shit mouths is Sean and Seth P fought. FBI would be all over that joint. Sometimes people like that do not think before they talk

Plates
09-03-2009, 09:31 AM

YouTube - Rashad Evans Head Kick Knockout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnkI3EcreHA)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....totally got my day started. Listen to Handy in the background. "JESUS!!!" :D

firsthorseman97
09-03-2009, 09:39 AM
I watched the fight on TV and also had it saved on my DVR so I've seen it several times. Sean's an overrated jackass.

irishpride
09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
having sparred with him once before i can honestly say i think he is a asshole who is vastly overrated in his own mind...

-Z-
09-03-2009, 03:31 PM
having sparred with him once before i can honestly say i think he is a asshole who is vastly overrated in his own mind...

You get rep for that.

-Z-
09-03-2009, 04:57 PM
BTW Allan was contacted by the Athletic Commision today cause they are now doing an investigation. Fucking retarded. So now we don't know when he can fight again.

-Z-
09-03-2009, 09:04 PM
This is from sherdog.

Following a submission defeat to unheralded Allan Weickert June 3 in Ohio, Sean Salmon wrote an essay for MMAJunkie.com that contained language most fans considered profane: namely, that he allowed Weickert to win.

“In the second round, I took him down again,” described Salmon. “He went for an armbar, I defended it (only to prove to myself that he couldn't get it), and then I put my arm back in to give him the win so that I could return to England, healthy.”

The article, which was posted late Wednesday afternoon, has resulted in Salmon being ostracized by observers and Ohio Athletic Commission Executive Director Bernie Profato threatening suspension if Salmon cannot provide a satisfactory explanation. (A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 14.)

Sherdog.com spoke with Salmon Thursday in an attempt to clarify the issue.

Sherdog: Your Sept. 2 essay has caused a stir. The belief is that you allowed Weickert to win when you could have continued fighting.
Salmon: It is being 100% misinterpreted. It’s my fault. I write those columns for Junkie -- they’ve given me the freedom, anytime I have something going on, to write what I’m thinking. And that’s exactly how I do it. I sit down at the computer and start typing. I don’t proofread it. I don’t re-read it. I don’t want to start second-guessing myself.

My main objective was to illustrate how many things I had going wrong with my life. My marriage was heading towards divorce. I wasn’t seeing my kid nearly as much -- hardly at all, and we live in the same town. I have all this going on. I’m out of the country and people at [UK fight gym] Wolfslair are telling me, “If you get hurt in this fight, don’t bother coming back.”

Sherdog: That passage confused some people. Can you explain what was meant by that?
Salmon: I was paid [by Wolfslair] to be a training partner for Michael Bisping (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Michael-Bisping-10196) and Cheick Kongo (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Cheick-Kongo-2193), to help them with their wrestling. They had upcoming fights against wrestlers. I was basically their employee. They were saying, “If you’re hurt and can’t coach us, can’t get in the cage and show us what a wrestler would do in these situations, you’re no good to us.” Which is understandable.

Sherdog: But if being healthy was that important at the time, why bother taking the Weickert fight? Even if he was a guy they pulled from the crowd, there’s always the chance you could hurt yourself.
Salmon: I had that fight before England even came up.

Sherdog: The passage causing controversy is when you say he went for an armbar, you defended it, then you put your arm back out there knowing he’d secure it again. You said you did that to “give him the win.” Is that a statement you stand by?
Salmon: Not exactly. I’m certainly not backtracking, but I should’ve worded it like—I didn’t fight that armbar with everything I had. That’s how I should’ve worded it. He got my arm, put me in a tricky position, and I felt like I could’ve defended it, but in my head I was already quitting, already giving up. I had more fight in me. That’s the only way to explain it. I had more fight in me. I wasn’t done. Bottom line, I took the coward’s way out.

Sherdog: But there is something incriminating about saying, “I gave him my arm.” That’s different than submitting because you’re tired or mentally broken. You gave him an avenue to win.
Salmon: I should’ve proofed that. I don’t like proofreading because I don’t want to second-guess myself. But I didn’t think that would be a focus. I was just whipping through that part of the story.

Sherdog: When you escaped the armbar in the second round, did you stick your arm back in knowing he would grab it?
Salmon: No. I wrote it the wrong way. He got the arm. I knew it was a position I could defend. If I fought and struggled the way you’re supposed to, I could’ve gotten out. But I didn’t have that fight in me. On that night, at the time, I did not have the motivation to fight that any more. I wanted to be anywhere else in the world but that cage, that night.

Sherdog: But people are going to say you’re backpedaling because of the controversy that’s come down.
Salmon: I can see why you’d say that. I’m setting the record straight. When I wrote that column, the last thing in the world I thought would be an issue is the armbar. I didn’t take the time to think it out and write exactly what I was feeling at that exact moment. I thought the focus on the article would be about putting your life back together.

Sherdog: By way of absolute statement, you feel you did not throw the fight?
Salmon: You know, I hear “throw the fight” like I had something to gain, like I went into a betting house and put $1,000 on Weickert. That wasn’t the case at all. I went into the fight 100% expecting to win. Allan came after me. A credit to him, he showed me what my breaking point was. He showed me I was lying to myself thinking I could come in there and walk through it. I didn’t throw the fight, but I definitely didn’t fight as hard as I should have.

Sherdog: If Ohio were to hand down a suspension and other commissions honored it, there’s a chance you could be banned from the sport in the states.
Salmon: The possibility exists. I’m not taking it lightly. I misspoke. I didn’t think this would be the focus. In hindsight, that was a poor assumption.

Sherdog: Do you feel like you disrespected the sport?
Salmon: Of course. I felt like that before I wrote the article. You can say that about anyone who didn’t do the things beforehand, not only physically but mentally, to prepare themselves for that situation. I’m not the first guy who gave up in the fight or quit or wasn’t prepared. I won’t be the last.

firsthorseman97
09-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I stand by my previous statement: Sean is an overrated jackass.

I could care less what happens to Salmon, but Allan does not deserve to be dragged into this. Allan has a legit shot at the UFC if he can defend this title a couple times and this is really screwing it up for him. Sean should get a permanent ban from the sport just for lack of heart and character.

-Z-
09-05-2009, 10:26 AM
So my boy Allan is now replacing Salmon at Ring of Combat XXVI this coming friday in Atlantic City. I'm pumped. He will be fighting Rafael Sapo from Team Renzo Gracie. You can check out the card here> http://ringofcombat.com/xxvi.php

Plates
09-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Nice. Nothing like someone who kicked your ass in the last fight replacing you. :)

Plates
09-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Thursday, September 3 11:18 am PT: Sean Salmon (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Sean-Salmon-14515)’s self-imposed troubles continue: after the fighter admitted in an MMAJunkie.com essay that he purposely fell into an armbar submission during a June 3 bout against Allan Weickert (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Allan-Weickert-11710), Ohio State Athletic Commission Executive Director Bernie Profato told Sherdog.com/ESPN.com Thursday that Salmon was putting himself in danger of exile.

“I’m going to confront him with it,” said Profato. “I’m not going to stand for this kind of sh-t. If he doesn’t print a retraction, then he’s out. I’m not going to compromise the integrity of the sport and have someone throw a fight. ... If I had proof, he’d banned for life in Ohio.”

According to Salmon, he and Profato had a heated discussion Thursday, with Profato ordering Salmon to appear at an October 14 hearing to explain the circumstances surrounding the Weickert bout. Salmon’s scheduled October 17th fight in the state has already been canceled.

-Z-
09-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Fuck him, I hope they make him take repeated head kicks from Rashad.

JLucas
09-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Wow, what a scumbag. I guess you cant blame him though, he's probably been mentally challenged ever since that head kick. He doesnt know any better.