PDA

View Full Version : HDL level

gman
02-22-2009, 01:29 PM
I have hdl in the low 30's, despite my best efforts. I am frightened to even try AAS, I would end up with negative HDL.

Anybody else gotten through this?

BigJD69
02-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I have had cholesterol issues for years, genetics play a big part of it. Try changing your diet, doing more cardio, you can add some supps such as Red yeast rice, CoQ10, garlic, add a low dose aspirin into you regime.

gman
02-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I do an hour a day, 7 days a week, and do take COQ10. Haven't tried the other stuff yet.

One thing positive, my tirglycerides are only 60

BigJD69
02-22-2009, 03:36 PM
That's Low for trigycerides.

gman
02-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah, it's from eating lots of healthy fat on Dave's keto diet.

G-Roy
02-22-2009, 04:47 PM
I had cholesterol issues in my early 20's. Combo of genetic factors and poor college diet. After using daves diet and increasing my efa intake Ive improved my levels to normal.

gman
02-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Hopefully, another 12 weeks on the Palumbo diet will get my LDL/HDL ratio to a healthy level, right now its 5:!

But specifically I was wondering if I should even consider AAS knowing that my HDL is already shit.

Spauldo
02-22-2009, 06:16 PM
That is very low bro. I hope it works out for you

Aaron Singerman
02-22-2009, 06:39 PM
The ratio is what's really important... and with your LDL so low, you have nothing to be concerned about.

gman
02-22-2009, 06:43 PM
No, my LDL is high, and my hdl is low.

I don't have the labs here, they are at my office, but I believe my LDL is 140ish, and my HDL is 35. My VLDL is excellent, about 12

Dr Pangloss
02-22-2009, 07:05 PM
add about 1.5 g of time-released niacin ed. It lowers total cholesterol by about 20%, and by a mechanism idependant of red rice or plant sterols.

Jacquester
02-22-2009, 07:18 PM
add about 1.5 g of time-released niacin ed. It lowers total cholesterol by about 20%, and by a mechanism idependant of red rice or plant sterols.

multiple dr.s told me the time release doesn't do a good job and you have to go with regular niacin-which I hate.

Dr Pangloss
02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
multiple dr.s told me the time release doesn't do a good job and you have to go with regular niacin-which I hate.

did you ask them for support for that? I'm not aware of any study suggesting TR niacin is less effective.

Dr Pangloss
02-22-2009, 07:52 PM
the study below suggests the effects are about the same:

1: Am J Cardiol. (javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Am J Cardiol.');) 1998 Dec 17;82(12A):24U-28U; discussion 39U-41U. Links (javascript:PopUpMenu2_Set(Menu9915659);)

Clinical profiles of plain versus sustained-release niacin (Niaspan) and the physiologic rationale for nighttime dosing.

Knopp RH (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=Search&Term=%22Knopp%20RH%22%5BAuthor%5D&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus).
University of Washington and Northwest Lipid Research Clinic, Seattle 98104, USA.
Niacin is the oldest and most versatile agent in use for the treatment of dyslipidemia. It has beneficial effects on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol; high-density lipoprotein cholesterol; the apolipoproteins B and A-I constituting these fractions; triglyceride; and lipoprotein(a). Together, these benefits lead to a diminished incidence of coronary artery disease among niacin users. The chief constraints against niacin use have been flushing, gastrointestinal discomfort, and metabolic effects including hepatotoxicity. Time-release niacin has been developed in part to limit flushing, and now a nighttime formulation (Niaspan) has been developed that assists in containing this untoward effect. In a pivotal metabolic study, bed-time administration of 1.5 g time-release niacin was shown to have the same beneficial effects as 1.5 g plain niacin in 3 divided doses and to be well tolerated. Previous studies suggest that bedtime niacin administration diminishes lipolysis and release of free fatty acids to the liver; this, in turn, leads to an abolition of the usual diurnal increase in plasma triglyceride, which may result in diminished formation and secretion of triglyceride in the very-low-density lipoprotein fraction

gman
02-22-2009, 08:17 PM
what i am wondering is if cholesterol and triglyceride problems go hand in hand, why do I have excellent triglycerides and shit hdl?

MartyMcFly
02-24-2009, 01:39 PM
so as long as the ration between HDL and LDL are okay, it don't matter if they are high? What if both are high, above the ranges?