PDA

View Full Version : Vegetables ?

maxxmuscle
09-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Who counts Green Veg etc into their total calories when dieting ?
I always have,as they do have calories at the end of the day.

I have read that Fibrous Veg such as Brocolli for example,takes more calories to digest than what is actually in it !

Thinking of adding in some extra Brocolli , Spinach ect to stave of the hunger....

Who here eats as much Fibrous Veg as they want during Pre Contest Dieting ?

Obviously i wouldnt eat things such as Peas,carrots etc.....Which are high GI / Sugary carbs...

fitmomma3
09-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Depends on how far out you are and how far you have to go. General rule though for prep is count EVERYTHING. This makes it easier to adjust according to goals as you go along when you know EXACTLY to the T what you are taking in. 3 extra servings of broccoli a day is an extra 90 calories that's 630 calories extra at the end of the week (that's like 2 cardio sessions for me) so when goals and time are of the essence this could definitely make an impact.

Instead of adding in anything extra randomly I would just adjust your diet slightly as long as you are losing. I was allowed on many preps with my trainer to add a little extra protein if I was over hungry and usually only did that if I had longer days that I may have spaced my food more than normal, but I was steadily losing so it wasn't a problem and I documented when I did add just so I new if there were any changes in progress I count account for and changes in plan to try and figure out a solution.

I have heard this statement several times before as well:
...that Fibrous Veg such as Brocolli for example,takes more calories to digest than what is actually in it !
I've also heard there's no actual truth to it, but instead because they are higher in fiber it speeds up digestion and metabolism but doesn't neccesarily BURN calories... I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on that as well.

maxxmuscle
09-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Fitmomma3......Nice to see that im not the only extremely Anal person here who counts EVERYTHING ! :) Hungry as hell all the time,so going to add some Brocolli to 2 of my meals.....and im stressing lol ! Its all "Extra" in my eyes !

hulk7280
09-03-2009, 01:37 PM
unless your on a keto diet.. extra brocolli isnt going to hinder ur fat loss

Scoobysnacks
09-03-2009, 02:42 PM
I dont count it and I dont have my people I prep count it unless we are going keto. And only then its not because it will blunt fat loss, but because it could knock you out of ketosis, at which point you will feel like shit, you may well keep burning fat, but just wont feel decent because your brain would be searching for glucose rather than running on the ketone bodies.

Otherwise I say eat up.

Maxxmuscle you are already way ahead of the game you will get way more benefits from adding more greens than detriments.

Ss

maxxmuscle
09-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the input guys.Just curious as to everyones views on the subject.......

Keep em coming :)

Trulyhuge
09-30-2009, 10:10 PM
I never count my green veggies such as salads, brocolli, asparagus. Basically a food to make me more full more than anything.

anabolic fyre
10-03-2009, 05:03 PM
It is true that broccoli and asparagus are basically empty calories, eat 20 calories worth nd ur body will use 25-30 calories tryin to burn it. Not goin to do nothing drastic but in the end it can help i guess, but w/e works for you.
Some people mentally feel like it sets you back nd if ur goin to be stressed about it just dont eat it lol... I have that problem with the diet soda, everyone says while dieting you can drink as much of it as u want, but when i drink it i feel like shyt for the next few hours, so i just avoid it.

RDFinders
10-03-2009, 06:16 PM
and a side note - fiber does not speed up digestion, does the opposite. it slows it down b/c fiber is very complex carbohydrate stucture and allows food to empty out slowly from the stomach. which is why it is good to eat b/c it aids in feeling fuller longer.