PDA

View Full Version : What's a standard Powerlifters routine to increase strength?

Northman
09-04-2009, 01:22 AM
I do bodybuilding type work but I may consider doing a PL meet or 2 this year to really push myself.

I Know I can get 1000 just from Deadlift (straps) and squat (belt)

It's just my bench is a little weak 315 x 8 on close grip bench press.

360 to 380ish for my bench on a GOOD day lol, shitty eh?

Tips? Splits?

crashcrew56
09-04-2009, 01:39 AM
First off, widen your squat stance and bench grip. You might want someone to look over your squat form, I tihnk a PL style squat will be a bit of a change from what you are doing now

Second, drop your reps on your core lifts

Third, one of the most popular/effective ways to train is the Westside template, with the Dynamic and Max effort training days. Dynamic you train for speed with anywhere from 40-60% of your max with a rep range of about 3-5. ME days you are working up to your heaviest single, double, or triple on the lift, and the important thing to remember about the ME lifts is that you want to be able to get these on your own. That means no forced reps, or negatives, the goal is always finishing the workout on a positive note, you don't want to miss your lifts in the gym

crashcrew56
09-04-2009, 01:46 AM
The westside method also includes rotating your lifts every week,

Example, week 1 bb bench
week 2 DB bench
week 3 floor press etc....

But that is only one example of a way to train, thre is a million ways to skin a cat, you could take a look at my training log on here. I train with the dynamic and ME days, and I also do BB style workouts, but I don't change my ME exercises, except for the type of resistance I use (bands, chains, straight weights). My dynamic days also include lock-out work

Northman
09-04-2009, 02:16 AM
On going with a wide grip on bb bench, I swear it is worse.

For some reason, the closer it is the more natural it feels.

rinse
09-04-2009, 07:45 AM

There's nothing really strange about that really. But train wide also to bring up your weakness. Some ultra wide benches for 5-6 reps would probably do you some good.

crashcrew56
09-04-2009, 10:00 AM

I know the feeling, but trust me it's something that you will get used to, and you will get stronger with the wider grip, think about it you're shortening your ROM

Also you should learn how to bench with a poroper set-up, and that includes pinching your shoulder blades together

marcusmucheck
09-04-2009, 11:12 AM
northman,

will you be wearing gear?

Northman
09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Maybe a belt,straps and knee wraps.

If I so decide to participate.

crashcrew56
09-04-2009, 05:55 PM
What does your current training look like?

tjoe
09-04-2009, 06:00 PM
OK, am I the only one that saw this??

straps...
1000 deadlift?

A - Straps aren't allowed
B - unless your Andy Bolton, I have reason to doubt a 1000 pound pull

tjoe
09-04-2009, 06:01 PM
OK sorry. Re-read. squat AND deadlift.
still though, no straps.

White Goodman
09-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Widen your grip slowly on the bench. If you have been benching with a closer grip, using too much weight right away will wreck your shoulders. You might want to do 3 down sets (75% max) of 3-5 reps after your main work sets to get the feel. Go up 5 pounds a week. I bench with a closer grip but I have severe arthritis in my left shoulder and a closer grip (pinky on the rings) is more comfortable and less painful.

BrotherIron
09-12-2009, 08:10 PM
OK, am I the only one that saw this??

straps...
1000 deadlift?

A - Straps aren't allowed
B - unless your Andy Bolton, I have reason to doubt a 1000 pound pull

Figured it was a typo. Plain and simple. A 1000lbs Deadlift would make you the second person to achieve such a feat.