PDA

View Full Version : Newb from bbing wants to consider training for SM

juggernaut
09-06-2009, 05:00 PM
How does one go from switching from a bber routine to a Strongman type training routine. I'm considering this and really dont know where or how to start in my future.
Any good links or posts?

BrotherIron
09-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Well you would need to find a facility which has all the implements to train with which is needed to train for SM. You would also want to find people who can show you proper technique so you don't injure yourself.

Many of us here incorporate many different methods of training for our goals.

tjoe
09-06-2009, 08:18 PM
yep. a million different approaches. gotta find what works for you.

One thing I would urge you to learn quickly however is this: SM training is NOT about bodyparts. Most events are FULL body movements with various overlap (as far as the main stress is concerned). You'll need to improve max strength, rep work and MOVING with heavy weight.

Keep this thread going with your questions and we'll keep you moving along. Also check out my journal (in this section) as I just prepped for a meet in Aug. You'll see what I did and maybe pick up a few things.

juggernaut
09-07-2009, 05:34 PM
thanks for the responses guys. I kind of knew that it was going to be full body movements, but thats nothing what I dont do now. I'm getting to ready to start a bulk to lean for my final contest.
I will say that I do love to do cleans, snatches, deads, and jerks. Squats have fucked my knees up a little, but I persist in doing front squats.

I would like to consider training in this style, but dont really know how to put a routine together, nor do I know how many days per week I'd be training for.

Also, isnt this type of training able to be done at home with certain items, such as a keg, tire, wheelbarrow etc?

tjoe
09-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Home? sometimes I guess... depends on what you have. Typically, you want to pick a show and then train specifically for those events. Do you have one planned yet?

juggernaut
09-07-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm trying to build a foundation first. A show? No. I havent gotten that far advanced in training yet. I could walk into an NPC show in 24 weeks and be ready, but not a SM contest. That's basically what I am doing; developing a newbie routine to enhance the type of strength and endurance I need. And, I really dont even know what kind of what weight class I should be in, at 6'1", and a present weight of 225lbs at 12% bodyfat.

I did some poking around found this:

http://www.treelight.com/health/exercise/PowerTraining.html

robert da strongman
09-08-2009, 07:43 AM
there are links listed in a thread here. try NAS and the anvil. ask there for local people around you. linden yard is a tough crew up your way.

where you at in jersey?

there is a comp this weekend in north brunswick at the high school. i will be competing.

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm in Brick, by the shore.

tjoe
09-08-2009, 08:10 AM
The link you posted is ok but not SM specific, just general power info.
You need to get familiar with specific "events".
at 6'1" 225 lbs. you're fine for the under 231 class (actually gives you a little wiggle room to go up a bit). You would NOT want to go up a weight class yet because then the event weight is that much heavier. Since you're just starting, stay in the under 231 class.

I HIGHLY recommend finding a show and entering within the next few months. That way you will have some specific events to prepare for and get a good idea of how to train for it from there.
It' would be very hard to "generalize" your training. For example: There is always an overhead press. But, it could be a log, it could be an axle, it could be for reps, or max, could be clean each rep or clean once and press for reps. SO right there you have TOO many things to focus on and that's just one event!
So, pick a show and start getting ready.

Once you have a show picked out, you can see what the events are and work out a routine form there. Some things you may be able to do at your gym or home and some things you may have to travel for (I doubt you access to stones at this point for example). SO we can't give you a sample routine and say do stones on Wednesday if you have to travel to use them and could only do so on Saturday.

Here is the link Rob was talking about:http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/upcoming/
scroll through here and pick something a few months away. Lemme know which one you decide on and then we'll work up some training for it.

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Got this from a sticky. Would this be a good way to build both size, strength and endurance for someone just starting out on a 3 day?

RX Muscle Forums - View Single Post - Triple Threat: get the benefits of Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, and Olympic Lifting

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:13 AM
this is getting reaaaallyl interesting for me. I'm going to do this. Question: Is this a natty federation? I did MDrol a while back and dont want to test positive.
The link you posted is ok but not SM specific, just general power info.
You need to get familiar with specific "events".
at 6'1" 225 lbs. you're fine for the under 231 class (actually gives you a little wiggle room to go up a bit). You would NOT want to go up a weight class yet because then the event weight is that much heavier. Since you're just starting, stay in the under 231 class.

I HIGHLY recommend finding a show and entering within the next few months. That way you will have some specific events to prepare for and get a good idea of how to train for it from there.
It' would be very hard to "generalize" your training. For example: There is always an overhead press. But, it could be a log, it could be an axle, it could be for reps, or max, could be clean each rep or clean once and press for reps. SO right there you have TOO many things to focus on and that's just one event!
So, pick a show and start getting ready.

Once you have a show picked out, you can see what the events are and work out a routine form there. Some things you may be able to do at your gym or home and some things you may have to travel for (I doubt you access to stones at this point for example). SO we can't give you a sample routine and say do stones on Wednesday if you have to travel to use them and could only do so on Saturday.

Here is the link Rob was talking about:http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/upcoming/
scroll through here and pick something a few months away. Lemme know which one you decide on and then we'll work up some training for it.

tjoe
09-08-2009, 08:14 AM
there is a comp this weekend in north brunswick at the high school. i will be competing.you coming all the way up here for a show? I checked the site but there is only an entry form... what are the events/weights?

Side note: juggernaut - if you can make it to watch this show it would give you a very good idea of things. You may also make some contacts in you area with some equipment. I would try to go!

tjoe
09-08-2009, 08:15 AM
no natty fed in strongman.
untested. I did well against some monsters though (and I'm natty)

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:16 AM
well, the problem is now, because of my location in NJ, I wont be able to do a contest anytime soon. I'm going to go checking around and see what I can schedule. I would imagine I need a lot of training for such an event, correct?

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:17 AM
you coming all the way up here for a show? I checked the site but there is only an entry form... what are the events/weights?

Side note: juggernaut - if you can make it to watch this show it would give you a very good idea of things. You may also make some contacts in you area with some equipment. I would try to go!
I have to work until 12pm, but I'm not that far out that I cant get there. I may just ride up after work.

tjoe
09-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Got this from a sticky. Would this be a good way to build both size, strength and endurance for someone just starting out on a 3 day?

RX Muscle Forums - View Single Post - Triple Threat: get the benefits of Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, and Olympic Lifting (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showpost.php?p=50275&postcount=4)No. good program but again it will not translate to SM well.

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm beginning to see what you mean, when you say you need to strategically investigate the type of training needed.

tjoe
09-08-2009, 08:21 AM
well, the problem is now, because of my location in NJ, I wont be able to do a contest anytime soon. I'm going to go checking around and see what I can schedule. I would imagine I need a lot of training for such an event, correct?Nah. couple months. First show is to get your feet wet! See what the training is like, see what the atmosphere is like, etc. Seems you've been training a while as it is, so you are no stranger to the iron. It's just a different game that's all.

I have to work until 12pm, but I'm not that far out that I cant get there. I may just ride up after work.It'll still be going when you get there. ABSOLUTELY take the ride!

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Nah. couple months. First show is to get your feet wet! See what the training is like, see what the atmosphere is like, etc. Seems you've been training a while as it is, so you are no stranger to the iron. It's just a different game that's all.

It'll still be going when you get there. ABSOLUTELY take the ride!

Been around it for almost 20 years.

I'm going to go-soak up the atmosphere.

tjoe
09-08-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm beginning to see what you mean, when you say you need to strategically investigate the type of training needed.EXACTLY! Poundstone just started pulling deads from the floor again because in 3 of his last comps all the deadlift style things were A)neutral grip and B)high picks about 18" So in his training there was NO reason to pull a straight bar from the floor.

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:25 AM
there is one show about 3 hours away from me in NY in January, but its a gold level. Does that matter?

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:27 AM
EXACTLY! Poundstone just started pulling deads from the floor again because in 3 of his last comps all the deadlift style things were A)neutral grip and B)high picks about 18" So in his training there was NO reason to pull a straight bar from the floor.I see your point.

tjoe
09-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Battle at the Barn?

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Battle at the Barn?yessir

tjoe
09-08-2009, 08:33 AM
good - Curtis is a good guy and loves the sport! Great promotor!
bad - CRAZY heavy! especially for a first show.
It would be very rough.

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:34 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/strongman7.htm

I've heard of this guy before. Whats your opinion on this?

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:35 AM
good - Curtis is a good guy and loves the sport! Great promotor!
bad - CRAZY heavy! especially for a first show.
It would be very rough.I should stick with Silver level tourneys first, right?

tjoe
09-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I'd like to see you try the NYC's Strongest Man on Oct 3rd.
I know it is very close BUT the weights are much more manageable and there are a LOT of different implements being used at that show. axle, log, tire, keg, sandbag, yoke, etc.

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Thats pretty damn close!

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:40 AM
How about this one: http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/upcoming/upcoming_item.asp?UpcomingID=406

tjoe
09-08-2009, 08:41 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/strongman7.htm

I've heard of this guy before. Whats your opinion on this?good listing of events but again, you need to train for the events that are in your contest.

I should stick with Silver level tourneys first, right?not exactly. The Barn is notoriously heavy! the gold, silver etc. is a combination of the promotors reputation for putting on a good show, the level of competition to be expected, the number of competitors expected and to a lesser extent, how heavy it is.
If you click on the pdf "entry form" link, it usually shows you the events and the weights for each event in each weight class.

tjoe
09-08-2009, 08:44 AM
I like the one you posted in WV too. which is closer for you?
The NYC or the WV?

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:52 AM
This one (http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/upcoming/upcoming_item.asp?UpcomingID=429) is closer, but still both are Gold level, yikes!

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:55 AM
the nyc is closer, but damn, Id have to completely change my training altogether. In the middle of a cut right now, to start a cycled bulk soon. Of course, I can be flexible and compete in bbing sometime down the road-no rush to throw on a pair of underoos and grease up-trust me. Worst fucking thing in the world is that part. I just like the training.

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:56 AM
I think I want to train for this one. http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/upcoming/upcoming_item.asp?UpcomingID=429

I have enough time to psyche myself up and really see dramatic changes in what I can do and not do. You think its okay?

tjoe
09-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Gold is good.
I would go with WV. It's closer. a bit lighter. and not so much to train for (as far as so many different implements).
So, let's assume you will enter that one. Let's break it down:
1) Log Press for Reps 200lbs (LW) 240lbs (HW)
2) Truck Pull for time (harnessed in w/ rope pulling a new Dodge Ram 1500
3) Farmers Walk for distance 200(LW) 250 (HW)
4) Partial DL w/ straps MAX weight knee height 3 attempts
5) Atlas Stones 175-275 (LW) ; 200-310 (HW) Box heights 60, 57, 54, 51, 48

Do you have access to:
a log, harness for truck pull, farmers handles, adjustable power rack, stones?

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I can shoot for the WV. Not a problem.

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Do you have access to:
a log, harness for truck pull, farmers handles, adjustable power rack, stones?
what kind of log?
harness-no
farmer handles-dont know
power rack-can get one
stones? what weight?

I'm strictly barbells at the moment. Can I do makeshift equipment?

tjoe
09-08-2009, 09:01 AM
OK, scratch my last post :)

The one in NH would be good as well. Didn't know if you would travel that far, but if so, I like it. My buddy did that one last year, very nice venue.

Gimme a minute.

tjoe
09-08-2009, 09:02 AM
haha! you pik.
WV or NH?
we'll go from there...

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 09:03 AM
tjoe, I can do either. I just need to know what to do and how to train. I'll take your guidance on this one. Whichever you want-I just wanna do it!

tjoe
09-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Gold is good.
I would go with WV. It's closer. a bit lighter. and not so much to train for (as far as so many different implements).
So, let's assume you will enter that one. Let's break it down:
1) Log Press for Reps 200lbs (LW) 240lbs (HW)
2) Truck Pull for time (harnessed in w/ rope pulling a new Dodge Ram 1500
3) Farmers Walk for distance 200(LW) 250 (HW)
4) Partial DL w/ straps MAX weight knee height 3 attempts
5) Atlas Stones 175-275 (LW) ; 200-310 (HW) Box heights 60, 57, 54, 51, 48

Do you have access to:
a log, harness for truck pull, farmers handles, adjustable power rack, stones?OK. let's go here. WV. Nov 21st.

I can shoot for the WV. Not a problem.

what kind of log?
log - wood or steel?
harness-no
farmer handles-dont know
power rack-can get one
stones? what weight?

I'm strictly barbells at the moment. Can I do makeshift equipment?harness - could you buy one?
farmers - would help but we can work around it... maybe
power rack - not totally necessary, we could work around that
stones - you have any? weight is not SO important, just that you have stones

If you are looking to purchase any equipment...
at this point I would rather see you go for the harness and some farmers handles over the rack.

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Lets do this!

I'll google good link for a harness. I dont give a shit if its used.
farmers walk: Sometimes what I'll do is grab a six foot barbell and load it with weight on each side carrying it. That work?
Stones: I have a quarry near me. I can buy them. What weight/type?

OK. let's go here. WV. Nov 21st.

harness - could you buy one?
farmers - would help but we can work around it... maybe
power rack - not totally necessary, we could work around that
stones - you have any? weight is not SO important, just that you have stones

If you are looking to purchase any equipment...
at this point I would rather see you go for the harness and some farmers handles over the rack.

tjoe
09-08-2009, 09:20 AM
alright, now we are getting somewhere!
the barbells would be great for farmers as long as you have the room to move with em.

we still need a log of some sort.

A new harness from ironmind is not too expensive but you can try to find a used one. I do like the ironmind harness though.

those stones won't work. we're talking "atlas stones"... perfectly round and nothing to grip.

tjoe
09-08-2009, 09:22 AM
off to work...
I'll check in later.

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I'll look around for something. Whats the needed weight they need to be? Can I use something close to that?

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 01:56 PM
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/Ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1222

http://www.exercise-products.net/Small-Truck-Strongman-Pullling-Harness-Car/M/B000GQ04LI.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

http://www.slatershardware.com/stonemolds.html

tjoe
09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
I have the iron mind harness but it was NOT 210 bucks when I got it! either would be great!

I also have the Slater stone molds. Love em. I bought the 4 pak. your biggest stone in your comp is 315. If money is an issue get the 18" make 1 stone with a large foam insert, one str8 cement and one with a lead insert. 1 mold and 3 different weighted stones.

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 06:18 PM
the 65.00 cheapy it is. I dont mean to sound dumb, but how the hell do I use this thing?

I found a few videos on how to make atlas stones. Again, I know whats entailed on how to use them, but how do I train with all of this stuff? I dont really understand the transition from bbing to SM. I know I have to change the way I train, but what about diet? Reps? Routines? Can I just follow a basic powerlifting routine three times a week, and concentrate on the actual events on the weekend? How does that work? And you said i have some wiggle room to gain a little weight. I dont have a problem with that, but I need to emphasize it on a bbing level-As little fat as possible or sheer bulk?

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 06:31 PM
did a little more poking, and even though I hate the magazines, this is the closest I came to finding something that might be good for conditioning:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0801/is_7_69/ai_n26678822/

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_7_23/ai_n27348300/?tag=rbxcra.2.a.44

What's your take?

tjoe
09-08-2009, 09:37 PM
don't over-complicate things.

I would work it like this:

day 1 - log press and auxillary moves to help (maybe shoulders, maybe tris, depends on your weakness)

day 2 - truck pull and farmers work (both of these require "motion" or moving with weight) so it makes sense to train them together. based on how this training is going you could do some auxillary stuff to bring up any weak points here.

day 3 - max deads and stone work this will be a rough day. I would not do a max pull every week! sure way to burn out. we'll get to that later but I would do reps 1 week and heavy the next. stones will require a lot of technique!

This is also the order of events in your comp. It's good to train that way because otherwise you have "fresh" numbers in your head but when you try to do them in a comp AFTER several other events... all of a sudden things are a little harder!

How many days a week do you have?
do you have a training partner?
who does the equipment list look so far?

I am also going to do some research for you as far as training groups go. Is it possible for you to travel to train on say Saturdays?

tjoe
09-08-2009, 09:55 PM
http://www.lindenyardstrongman.com/ BAM!!!

these guys are about 30 minutes from you!!
you couldn't ask for more than that bro!
check it out, contact them, let them know you picked a comp and wanted to start training for it.
absolutely perfect!

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I used to teach in Linden!! LOL
I can get the harness (just dont know how to use it) and stone molds easily. The log will present a problem-I assume AI can use a barbell?
I train alone all the time.
I can easily put in 5 days a week on my own and one day a week at Linden-I assume I can get there to do most of the SM event training. I own a fitness center in Tinton Falls, so using what I have there wont be a problem. I just dont have access to certain items because of the franchise rulings-like a friggin basic power rack, but have squat racks at home and can get my hands on a power rack.

I'll call tomorrow.

juggernaut
09-08-2009, 10:20 PM
My other concern is diet. How do I eat for this? Do i need to gain weight? Like I said, I'm hovering around 223-225.

tjoe
09-09-2009, 07:45 AM
we'll work on a routine.
a day a week at Linden would be PERFECT! nothing beats training with the guys to learn technique.
diet - don't worry about it. stay at your current weight (under 231). learning technique alone will yield BIG improvements on the events. As long as you have energy for your training sessions you'll be good to go.

GameofInches
09-09-2009, 09:11 AM
I guess I will throw my .02 in and see if it helps at all. I would suggest you go and watch the NYC Strongest Man contest(it will give you an idea of how to train). I would def go and train with the Linden Yard Crew if at all possible. If not, then you need to acquire/build your own equipment(which isn't too bad to do). I would train "in the gym lifts" 3 days a week and events 1 day a week. Deadlift and upperback/accessory movements 1 day a week, shoulder press/push press/log on the second gym day, and then squats, etc. on the third gm day.

Also, check out marunde-muscle.com/forum IMO, the best site for strongman and Linden Yard guys are always on there. In regards to your diet: you would be eligible to compete in the 231 and under class(which would be best for you to start out with). So just continue to eat clean and a lot of healthy food.

Drop the bodybuilding training (ie. tricep kick backs, cable crossovers, etc.). Stick with the hard basics...deadlifts, squats, shoulder press, pullups, barbell rows. And then you MUST train events.

I hope this helps in some way. Post anymore questions you might have and def let us know if you are training with the Linden Yard Crew, if not, then come back and I will help you out with how to build/acquire equipment. Goodluck!

juggernaut
09-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I guess I will throw my .02 in and see if it helps at all. I would suggest you go and watch the NYC Strongest Man contest(it will give you an idea of how to train). I would def go and train with the Linden Yard Crew if at all possible. If not, then you need to acquire/build your own equipment(which isn't too bad to do). I would train "in the gym lifts" 3 days a week and events 1 day a week. Deadlift and upperback/accessory movements 1 day a week, shoulder press/push press/log on the second gym day, and then squats, etc. on the third gm day.

Also, check out marunde-muscle.com/forum IMO, the best site for strongman and Linden Yard guys are always on there. In regards to your diet: you would be eligible to compete in the 231 and under class(which would be best for you to start out with). So just continue to eat clean and a lot of healthy food.

Drop the bodybuilding training (ie. tricep kick backs, cable crossovers, etc.). Stick with the hard basics...deadlifts, squats, shoulder press, pullups, barbell rows. And then you MUST train events.

I hope this helps in some way. Post anymore questions you might have and def let us know if you are training with the Linden Yard Crew, if not, then come back and I will help you out with how to build/acquire equipment. Goodluck!I planned on doing this from everything that I learned from this thread.

Also, I friggin hate doing isolation work and have pretty much surrounded the bulk of my workouts with nothing but compounds anyway. I only did that stuff 8 weeks prior to my shows. I'm glad to see it go regardless.

I do barter personal training in my gym for certain things. Getting a welder shouldnt be a problem. Thanks for the advice.

juggernaut
09-09-2009, 02:32 PM
think this can work for a harness? I saw it in Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100675474/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

juggernaut
09-09-2009, 02:37 PM
having a problem getting a log, the stones are do-able, and I just emailed LYC. They arent too far away. I also plan on going this weekend to the contest.

juggernaut
09-09-2009, 02:48 PM
As for farmers handles, I have an hex deadlift bar similiar to this: Can I use this for farmer walk training?

http://www.g2fitnessproducts.com/ProductImages/troy_barbell/bars/aot-56.jpg

lilfella
09-09-2009, 03:14 PM
That is a great piece of equipment. imo

robert da strongman
09-09-2009, 03:30 PM
As for farmers handles, I have an hex deadlift bar similiar to this: Can I use this for farmer walk training?

http://www.g2fitnessproducts.com/ProductImages/troy_barbell/bars/aot-56.jpg

cant get the stride you need for farmers walk. but the trap bar is a great piece of equipment

tjoe
09-09-2009, 04:52 PM
you could use the trap for farmers. I've done it. very wobbly, which will be good for training. make sure you have TIGHT collars!

harness - for the amount if the echo one I would get the other one you posted. more specific. hate to spend 60 bucks and have it not work anyway.

juggernaut
09-10-2009, 04:05 AM
tjoe, I got in touch with the head guy from LYC and he will be seeing me on Sunday. I dont know what know what to expect, but they will be doing event training on Sunday. He invited me down-dont know whether I'm training or not, but this is going to be interesting. I've been searching for a gym routine and posted a will barter sign in my gym for anyone interested in making a log and farmer handles.
I ordered this: Amazon.com: Medium - Truck Strongman Pullling Harness Car Semi Pull Harness: Sports & Outdoors

juggernaut
09-10-2009, 07:39 AM
the more I look into exercises, the more I see substitutions for the stones. I see that I can do cleans from the floor and press are good for this in the gym. If I go to the LYC and perform the stones once a week and do the clean and press in the gym, will that be a good substitution?
Also, what about loading a certain amount of plates (3) 45s for example and just continue rowing from the floor as the plates stand on top of a 10 lb plate for the initial stone lift?
My neighbor gave a me a wheelbarrow with no wheel at the bottom and attached a chain and vbar handle to it to make a ghetto sled. How much weight do I need to put in?
How in the hell do I use the harness to pull my Santa Fe??

tjoe
09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Haha! Lots of questions bro!

Tell ya what. hold off on questions till after you go on Sunday (and OF COURSE you'll be training with them!!)
You are going to get some very good ideas about everything when you go. Don't be "the pain in the ass" but feel everyone out a bit and ask questions! We are usually a very helpful bunch.

Training is going to be very individual. Every strongman that I know trains a bit differently. I am sure you will be the same.

You also won't have an idea about "what to train" until you try some events and see "where" you need work.

Stones - you can do some ghetto stone work but trust me, NOTHING compares to actually working with the stones! You'll see what I mean shortly :)

Nice purchase with the harness. we use a tow cable to connect the vehicle and the harness. Be sure to have someone IN the vehicle when pulling... not a good idea alone!

Ghetto sled - I love it! How much weight... HEAVY! It's STRONGMAN! Besides every sled will feel different because of the amount of surface in contact with the ground, the amount of weight, and even the actual surface it's on. Just make it hard!

Have FUN Sunday and give us a detailed update!!

juggernaut
09-10-2009, 11:52 AM
will do!
I have a makeshift wheelbarrow from my brother that I'm using adding in sand rusty plates. I told my brother and he said it was about time I got out of the gayass sport.
My son already volunteered to be in the truck when I'm pulling it...little fucker might use the brake on me to be a ballbuster!
I have a problem not being a pain in the ass, especially since my wife says I'm good at it. But I'll use some social filters.

What the hell did i get myself into??

tjoe
09-10-2009, 12:22 PM
will do!
I have a makeshift wheelbarrow from my brother that I'm using adding in sand rusty plates. I told my brother and he said it was about time I got out of the gayass sport.
My son already volunteered to be in the truck when I'm pulling it...little fucker might use the brake on me to be a ballbuster!
I have a problem not being a pain in the ass, especially since my wife says I'm good at it. But I'll use some social filters.

What the hell did i get myself into??Good times brother... good times.

juggernaut
09-10-2009, 07:14 PM
thinking the same thing...stay tuned.

juggernaut
09-13-2009, 03:23 PM
So I had my first training day with a bunch of really cool guys, all making me feel very welcome. They'd like to see me do the October 17 show in Delaware and had a nice drive through the country to think about. I'm doing it. I will compete as a Masters Lightweight.

Today, I did event training with the yoke; by far the clumsiest contraption ever made. However, I didn't know what I was made of until I got under it and "easily" (6) 45 lbs plates to the line. I tried, but only got about 25 feet. Not bad for a first try.
Next was the farmers walk with 180 on each side. Not hard at all. By far my favorite. I then added 50 to each side and proceeded to walk. Hard, but manageable.
Next were deads, from about 2/3 up my shins. I managed to get single up 300+ lbs, hard as shit, but do-able. So I gotta work on this.
Last training area was the Atlas stones. I sucked at it, but managed to get up the lightest stone on the third attempt. It's all tacky and technique.

So, I asked them if they thought I was ready, and how to workout at my gym. They gave me some ideas, one was to get a log made, get a belt, chuck connors, and knee wraps.

I'm looking for ideas right now on how to get stronger on gym lifts, as I believe I need to work plate lifts and pullthroughs.
Any suggestions on a 3 day weekly routine would be appreciated and the event training would come on sundays.

juggernaut
09-13-2009, 03:48 PM
So I had my first training day with a bunch of really cool guys, all making me feel very welcome. They'd like to see me do the October 17 show in Delaware and had a nice drive through the country to think about. I'm doing it. I will compete as a Masters Lightweight.

Today, I did event training with the yoke; by far the clumsiest contraption ever made. However, I didn't know what I was made of until I got under it and "easily" (6) 45 lbs plates to the line. I tried, but only got about 25 feet. Not bad for a first try.
Next was the farmers walk with 180 on each side. Not hard at all. By far my favorite. I then added 50 to each side and proceeded to walk. Hard, but manageable.
Next were deads, from about 2/3 up my shins. I managed to get single up 300+ lbs, hard as shit, but do-able. So I gotta work on this.
Last training area was the Atlas stones. I sucked at it, but managed to get up the lightest stone on the third attempt. It's all tacky and technique.

So, I asked them if they thought I was ready, and how to workout at my gym. They gave me some ideas, one was to get a log made, get a belt, chuck connors, and knee wraps.

I'm looking for ideas right now on how to get stronger on gym lifts, but also the front squat and dead plus overhead pressing.
Any suggestions on a 3 day weekly routine would be appreciated and the event training would come on sundays.

I'm looking for ideas right now on how to get stronger on gym lifts, but also the front squat and dead plus overhead pressing.

juggernaut
09-13-2009, 04:10 PM
found this:

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/basic_primer.html#gym

Take a look at the gym training section.

Sets and reps will 3x5, 3, and 1

Any comments would be huigely appreciated.

BrotherIron
09-13-2009, 07:03 PM
found this:

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/basic_primer.html#gym

Take a look at the gym training section.

Sets and reps will 3x5, 3, and 1

Any comments would be huigely appreciated.

I utilize a similar rep range for strength. I think the exercises are great for building raw strength.

juggernaut
09-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Someone just sent me this:

Tuesday
Log Clean and Press (rotate weekly with Overhead Log Press) 5x8-12
Plate rows [rotate with lat pulldowns] 4-5x8-12
Supplemental Chest Work 4x8-12
Skull Crushers 4x8-12
Hammer Curls (rotate weekly with log curls) 4x8-12

Wednesday
Front Squat (rotate weekly with Deadlift)
Week a)
Front Squat 5x5
Romanian Deadlift 4x8-10
Week b)
Standard Deadlift 5x3
Front Squat 3x12-20
heavy abs work like side bends, weighted sit-ups or weighted crunches
Reverse Grip Curl Forearm work with 1.5 inch pipe 4x8-12

Friday
Log lift or axle press [1.5 inch bar] 5x1 @ 80% max/alternating every 2-3 weeks with 4x8-12
Make sure to clean each rep until it is too heavy and then use your favorite alternate method for getting the weight to your shoulders.
Heavy Trap work with Barbell Shrugs or Rack Pulls 4x10
Weighted Underhand Close Grip Chins 4x8-12
Top Half Smith Close Grip Bench Press4x8-12

Sunday
Event Day

juggernaut
09-17-2009, 06:26 PM
I made some adjustments to my training, coming in at 3x5,1x3, 2x1

Here's how it is played out and i got the approval from the chairman of the LYC with this, so I am all-systems go:

Week 1
Tuesday
Deadlift
Military Press
Good Morning
core work

Thursday
Squat
bench press
Bent-over rows
core work

Friday
Accessory work - traps (rack pulls), calves (standing calf raise, also worked with the dynamic shrug), abs (weighted incline situps - add heavy weights, sets of 10), Glute-Ham Raises, Saxon Side Bends. DB Hammer Curls, Cross-body hammer curls, MVM DB curls. Heavy cheat curls will help with portions of the tire flip, and the DB curls will help with hand-over-hand truck pulls.

Sunday: Events

Week 2
Tuesday
Squat
Power Clean
Push Press
core work

Thursday
Deadlift
Military Press
Front Squat
core work

Friday
Accessory work - traps (dynamic shrug), calves (standing calf raise, also worked with the dynamic shrug), abs (weighted incline situps - add heavy weights, sets of 10), Glute-Ham Raises, Saxon Side Bends. DB Hammer Curls, Cross-body hammer curls, MVM DB curls. Heavy cheat curls will help with portions of the tire flip, and the DB curls will help with hand-over-hand truck pulls.

Sunday: Events

juggernaut
09-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Myofascial Stretching after a day of deads works wonders on the back and hammies. I bought one of these and my god, the difference in mobility and blood flow is just friggin ridiculous!

juggernaut
09-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Week 2 of events training got me happy. Everything I did improved. People are remarking that my neck and traps look bigger. My arms are a bit larger, but I havent done any arm work (directly in two weeks). I do have to pace myself, because by the halfway of doing the events, I was running out of gas. Any ideas for a carb sensitive individual?

smj091977
09-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Week 2 of events training got me happy. Everything I did improved. People are remarking that my neck and traps look bigger. My arms are a bit larger, but I havent done any arm work (directly in two weeks). I do have to pace myself, because by the halfway of doing the events, I was running out of gas. Any ideas for a carb sensitive individual?
I am carb sensitive too, but during/after strongman is not the time to worry about that! You burn so much fuel you NEED the carbs. I usually do oatmeal a few hours before and gatorade/powerade during.
As far as the sled made out of the wheel barrel, I made one too. I have more problems with 280 worth of sand bags in the wheel barrel sled, than I do with 500+ on others. I think it is the sheet metal mine is made out of.
Your Idea about cheat curls helping the tire is maybe not Ideal. You will eventually tear something. Curling the tire is horrible, like curling the deadlift bar. Begging for trouble. There is some debate on how much curling should be done. Some say none. Then others do just a few sets up to full arm workouts. Preferences very, I am just saying be careful.
Not that I am the expert here, mind you, but I wouldn't rotate the days like that. Recovery is important to me. Trying to go hard at something I haven't had a week off from leaves me flat. So for me, trying to do deadlifts on tuesday after hitting them on thursday, on top of the events on saturday, would be disastrous.
As for the trap lifts, I feel I get plenty of work with farmers and deadlifts.
Best of luck with your training.

juggernaut
09-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I am finding out that recovery is extremely important, and have been given an idea to do a max effort week one week, then a dynamic effort the following. I'm going to give that a whirl in a month to see if my recovery improves over the next few weeks.
About carbs, only for breakfast and post workout-as in my bber days. I realize that I will need some gatorade and BCAAs during the events training.
Arms will be handles with only a few sets, possibly hammer curls and/or cheat curls. As for triceps, the upper part of it is used in close grip benching and that is what I will do to improve pushing power.
Traps are my stronger area and will only work with farmers to improve that and the grip. Since I am learning new stuff everyday, continued feedback is valuable and appreciative.

GameofInches
09-23-2009, 11:30 AM
What has worked for me, is to combine Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 routine into 2 days (ie. overhead press and bench on one day and deadlifts and squats on the other) and then have 1 day of the week for events. 3 days of training in all. Has worked well for me. I have the weights to use, reps, sets, etc. all laid out with 5/3/1. Makes for constant steady progress. Just my .02

juggernaut
09-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Game, show me what a week looks like in terms of sets and reps, plus actual exercises. I'm not concerned about event training only because everything is covered on that day. I'm interested in your routine.

tjoe
09-23-2009, 04:17 PM
What has worked for me, is to combine Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 routine into 2 days (ie. overhead press and bench on one day and deadlifts and squats on the other) and then have 1 day of the week for events. 3 days of training in all. Has worked well for me. I have the weights to use, reps, sets, etc. all laid out with 5/3/1. Makes for constant steady progress. Just my .02
I like this layout. Big. Basic. Lots of rest. Perfect.

about the arm work/curling...
Big debate lately about it. I know Poundstone and many of the CT crew guys will curl for absurdly high reps like 50-100. There is very poor blood flow in the connective tissue, so the reasoning is to really pump the hell out of the area and bring in as much fresh blood as possible to help the connective tissue. Makes sense. You could blow a biceps easy with strongman training.

juggernaut
09-23-2009, 05:04 PM
that would suck if I did that.
So higher reps-this is new to me, I'm used to doing low reps with heavy weight when I did arm work at all. Didnt need it. I usually did some type of hammer curl to peak the bicep for show. Just had a natural tendency to gain on the arms.

GameofInches
09-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Game, show me what a week looks like in terms of sets and reps, plus actual exercises. I'm not concerned about event training only because everything is covered on that day. I'm interested in your routine.

Deads and squat day:
Deadlifts: (follow 5/3/1 routine) so if it is the 5 rep week then I do that, etc.
BB Rows: 3 sets of 10 reps
Squats: Same as Deads, follow 5/3/1 routine
GHR: 3 sets of 10 reps
Lying spread eagle situps: 3 sets of 10

Pressing Day:
Axle Press: 5/3/1
BB Strict Press: 3 sets of 10
Close Grip Bench: 5/3/1
Bench: 3 sets of 10

I combine the 4 days into 2. I know some may say that my bench and squat will suffer b/c I am doing deads and pressing before them. But for strong man, the deads and overhead are priorities. I use the squat and bench to help improve my strongman performance, not necessarily to soley improve the bench and squat. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have anymore questions. Goodluck, keep it simple and train hard!!

juggernaut
09-23-2009, 07:02 PM
so this is one set of 5, one of 3 and one set of 1?
Whats a strict press?
I dont see any farmer walks...is that done on event day like mine?
Any substitutions for axle press? I was thinking of making my own. Or can i use an olympic bar?

juggernaut
09-24-2009, 10:18 AM
i'm not crystallizing how to setup the reps and sets of 5, 3, 1.
Thanks.

GameofInches
09-24-2009, 06:18 PM
so this is one set of 5, one of 3 and one set of 1?
Whats a strict press?
I dont see any farmer walks...is that done on event day like mine?
Any substitutions for axle press? I was thinking of making my own. Or can i use an olympic bar?

Well I suggest that you buy his book b/c it details everything very nicely and will help to clarify every question. However, this is a link I saw online that may help you get a better idea of what the 5/3/1 looks like. Write-up for Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 Program - Bodybuilding.com Forums I forgot to mention that I also switch out accessory movements every 4 weeks and put in new accessory movements (ex. barbell rows for 4 weeks then pull-ups the next 4 weeks and repeat).

A strict press is basically a standing military press (no use of legs, which means not to bend legs and use legs drive). Soley the use of shoulders to press the weight over head.

I do farmers on event day. My standard events that I train on event day are farmers, tire flips, yoke, and stones. If there is another type of event coming up in a contest I am planning on doing then I will put those in and taper off the other "standard events" until after the comp.

You could use an olympic bar, but that will not be an axle press then. Axles are much different than olympic bars. I made my own axle. I believe that the typical diameter of an axle is 2 inches. I would suggest you make, buy, or train with an axle b/c they are unique and I think it would be extremely beneficial for you to train with one before you use one in a contest.

This is what I have done and what had worked for me. So do what you feel is best for you, but let me know if you have anymore questions.

juggernaut
09-24-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm going to buy the book tonight. I just dont get how you can cram it down in two days. Nor do I understand the rep/set scheme.
I am building a log from a telephone pole. I will build it if I can find plans for the axle. It's more fun anyway to build the stuff.

tjoe
09-24-2009, 07:59 PM
we know a great welder! I also know a tire guy. I had tire guy get me 2 old rims and tires (pretty big) and the welder had a 2" diameter pipe laying around. He had that together in no time. even put on horns to add weight. I've pulled over 600 with it and it's held up perfect!

juggernaut
09-25-2009, 03:48 PM
I ordered the book and have it on my reader waiting to be fired up. Hopefully, it will clear up some of the mystique here. I'm dying to read it.

GameofInches
09-25-2009, 06:44 PM
I ordered the book and have it on my reader waiting to be fired up. Hopefully, it will clear up some of the mystique here. I'm dying to read it.

Yes it will def help clarify everything. Like I said earlier, the routine I posted is my version of the 5/3/1 routine the way I needed to change it for my body and my training. Keep it simple and train hard!

juggernaut
09-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Is there a way to train the CNS? I googled it, but the only thing I found was that it takes heavy work not unlike what I am doing now.

GameofInches
09-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Is there a way to train the CNS? I googled it, but the only thing I found was that it takes heavy work not unlike what I am doing now.

There is not an exercise to train one's CNS or specific routine. However, I think by increasing one's GPP and overall workload capabilities would be the best thing to do. I have personally noticed that I use to often get drained and "beat up" from workouts, but over the past year of so, I have slowly increased my workload and that has def increased my CNS' ability to improve. I think this is what Louie Simmons talks about with sled dragging, GPP, and "extra workouts". They help the body to increase it's workload capacity.

juggernaut
09-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Game, I finished the book and completely understand exactly what you're talking about. Awesome work and phenomenal thinking on Wendlers part. I'm kind of cloudy of how much accessory work I should put in since my bodybuilder mentality keeps poking its ugly head. I cant fathom just doing 1 or 2 exercises for accessory work.

I like the way it is setup now.

GameofInches
09-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Game, I finished the book and completely understand exactly what you're talking about. Awesome work and phenomenal thinking on Wendlers part. I'm kind of cloudy of how much accessory work I should put in since my bodybuilder mentality keeps poking its ugly head. I cant fathom just doing 1 or 2 exercises for accessory work.

I like the way it is setup now.

Glad the book helped to answer all your questions. I agree, Wendler was almost a genius based on this book. I know what you mean about it being hard to cut back on accessory work. I found that hard for the longest time, b/c my first passion was bodybuilding. I find that being that I combine two of the 5/3/1 days into one that I don't have the energy to do too much accessory work anyway. And I constantly try to remind myself that too much work can be detrimental and that my main concern is my strongman performance, not building my ego or "bodybuilding physique". My recommendation would be to choose whatever accessory movements you feel help compliment strongman movements or help to bring up your weak points on strongman events.

juggernaut
09-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Excellent points.
I did strictly choose what will help on the SM stuff. I also got creative with cleans and burpees and pendley rows.

GameofInches
09-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Excellent points.
I did strictly choose what will help on the SM stuff. I also got creative with cleans and burpees and pendley rows.

That sounds good. One thing I would say, is to start out with a little less accessory work so that way you don't overtrain and then slowly add one exercise in here and there over the course of a few months so you gradually increase GPP and your workload capacity in hopes of minimizing over training. Good luck with training!

juggernaut
09-28-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm a little perplexed; according to the book it indicates to make the last set your best. If you surpass your best, do you redo next cycle's numbers or do you continue the way it is originally calculated (with the multiplier being 0.333 x repsx weight)?

juggernaut
09-28-2009, 04:03 PM
by the way, chuck taylors kill on the deadlift. cheap and effective!

GameofInches
09-28-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm a little perplexed; according to the book it indicates to make the last set your best. If you surpass your best, do you redo next cycle's numbers or do you continue the way it is originally calculated (with the multiplier being 0.333 x repsx weight)?

I am not completely sure what you are talking about so I will try to answer the best I can. Say the first week you have to deadlift 300lbs x 5 reps and you get 8 (that's great). Say the next week you are suppose to do 335 x 3 reps and you get 5 reps (another great week) and the last week you are suppose to get 365lbs for 1 rep but you get 3 reps instead (perfect). The last set is suppose to be an all out set where you try to get as many reps as possible. The 5/3/1(depending on what week your on) is the bare minimum, try to surpass it. The after the 4 weeks (including 1 week of deload) you recalculate your max. Jim suggests you add 10 lbs. to your squat and deadlift max and 5lbs to your shoulder press and bench max after each 4 week cycle. You keep doing this until you eventually can't beat the minimum number of reps (5/3/1 depending on the week).

Sorry for the lengthy response, but I hope that answers your question.

by the way, chuck taylors kill on the deadlift. cheap and effective!

Yes! I just got a pair a couple weeks ago, and I love them. I use them for squats too and even overhead press. I tried them for events and seem to like them for yoke runs (b/c I don't feel like I am sinking into my other sneakers with the weight), but I don't like them as much for farmers.

smj091977
09-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Chucks aren't good for Conan's wheel either. I slid in them and pulled my knee a little. I personally don't like them for any moving event now. I agree they are perfect for deads and squats.

juggernaut
09-29-2009, 05:16 AM
any ideas for movements? I have a thin sole sort of climbing shoe that I have been using when outdoors. Works well, has a kind of tacky grip on it.

Also, any "tricks" on bettering the initial technique from the lap to the chest on the Atlas Stones? Any gym moves I can use? My imagination isn't clicking here. Best thing I can think of is a clean and press to strengthen the movement.

juggernaut
09-29-2009, 05:49 AM
Never mind....I answered my own question.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=6&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slatershardware.com%2Fdocs%2F workout.doc&ei=mNTBSpCqFY3plAf-lc3cBA&usg=AFQjCNHVZAyaziRwUNLCQYvUbxi9AZeXXg&sig2=XJafT3ty2Z1dBpUlVVgHKQ

juggernaut
09-29-2009, 06:30 AM
this was the answer I was looking for...but the definitive explanation helped also.

I am not completely sure what you are talking about so I will try to answer the best I can. Say the first week you have to deadlift 300lbs x 5 reps and you get 8 (that's great). Say the next week you are suppose to do 335 x 3 reps and you get 5 reps (another great week) and the last week you are suppose to get 365lbs for 1 rep but you get 3 reps instead (perfect). The last set is suppose to be an all out set where you try to get as many reps as possible. The 5/3/1(depending on what week your on) is the bare minimum, try to surpass it. The after the 4 weeks (including 1 week of deload) you recalculate your max. Jim suggests you add 10 lbs. to your squat and deadlift max and 5lbs to your shoulder press and bench max after each 4 week cycle. You keep doing this until you eventually can't beat the minimum number of reps (5/3/1 depending on the week).

GameofInches
09-29-2009, 07:33 PM
this was the answer I was looking for...but the definitive explanation helped also.

I am glad it helped, keep training hard!

juggernaut
10-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I've made some tweaks with the sets and reps to what I feel I can accomplish in the week's time.

Here's what I am doing:
Deads and front squat day:
Deadlifts: 2x5, >5xME
BB Rows: 5x10-20
Hammer curls 5x10-20
Front Squats: Same as Deads, follow 5/3/1 routine
GHR: 5x10-20
Lying spread eagle situps: 5x10-20

(I took your template above and utilized what Wendler was giving)

Chest/Bench Press Day
Flat bench 2x5, 1x>5 max
Weighted dips 5x10-20
Gator Rows 5x 10-20
Hanging Grip work 3 cycles of how long I can go for
cardio or HIIT or sledding pulling or car pushing

Shoulder or Military Press day
Military Press
Hang Clean 5x10-20
Skull Crusher 5x10-20
Ab Work/Grip Work

Sunday
Event Training

GameofInches
10-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I've made some tweaks with the sets and reps to what I feel I can accomplish in the week's time.

Here's what I am doing:
Deads and front squat day:
Deadlifts: 2x5, >5xME (Are you following 5/3/1 with this or your own rep scheme?)
BB Rows: 5x10-20
Hammer curls 5x10-20
Front Squats: Same as Deads, follow 5/3/1 routine
GHR: 5x10-20
Lying spread eagle situps: 5x10-20

(I took your template above and utilized what Wendler was giving)

Chest/Bench Press Day
Flat bench 2x5, 1x>5 max
Weighted dips 5x10-20
Gator Rows 5x 10-20
Hanging Grip work 3 cycles of how long I can go for
cardio or HIIT or sledding pulling or car pushing

Shoulder or Military Press day
Military Press
Hang Clean 5x10-20 (I would just suggest to do these more in the 1-5 rep range, 8-10 reps at most). Because in contest you usually just clean a very heavy rep once and then press away or clean and press each rep but not usually with reps higher then 10.
Skull Crusher 5x10-20
Ab Work/Grip Work

Sunday
Event Training

Overall I think it looks good. Give it a try and see how it works for you. I just laid my routine out like that b/c it seems to work best for me in regards to recovery, getting in everything I need, and improving weak points.

What events will you be doing on event day? I tend to do the "staples" and not worry about the events that come up randomly (ie. husafel carry, sand bag carry, etc.). I just practice those once I find a comp I want to do. Just my .02

juggernaut
10-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Events:
Max 12” Log Press: 60 sec.
LW/MA: starting weight 220
HW: starting weight 270
Yoke - 80ft. course, multiple drops allowed, 60 second time limit
LW/MA: 600
HW: 800
Farmer’s Walk: 100ft Straight Course
LW/MA: 225
HW: 275
18” Max Deadlift for Casino Dollars
LW/MA: starting weight 500
HW: starting weight 600
Stone load to 44” platform
LW/MA: 150, 230, 280, 330
HW: 230, 280, 330, 380

GameofInches
10-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Events:
Max 12” Log Press: 60 sec.
LW/MA: starting weight 220
HW: starting weight 270
Yoke - 80ft. course, multiple drops allowed, 60 second time limit
LW/MA: 600
HW: 800
Farmer’s Walk: 100ft Straight Course
LW/MA: 225
HW: 275
18” Max Deadlift for Casino Dollars
LW/MA: starting weight 500
HW: starting weight 600
Stone load to 44” platform
LW/MA: 150, 230, 280, 330
HW: 230, 280, 330, 380

What are these numbers from? An upcoming contest?

juggernaut
10-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Its for the Delaware comp.

GameofInches
10-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh ok, nice. Those look like great events with some decent weights. I would think that is a doable contest and one that I would think would be fun to do. What is the date of the contest? And what poundage are you using in relation to each of those events? Are they having a novice class at this comp? You could possibly do that class if you wanted to

juggernaut
10-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Just got done being sick and I'm going back into the gym today. My progress didnt suffer too much, but my strength isnt exactly where I want it to be. slowly and steadily, but still, it isnt coming as fast as I want. I want to be able to deadlift over 500 lbs at least once, so I am working to that goal. Since I changed my bodybuilding diet to more of a medium carb, higher fat and protein, I've noticed better energy storage while staying under 230 lbs. I'm filling out without getting fat. Guess I'm a bber at heart.
I'm considering band usage, but want to know if this would be a hinderance or a blessing for better strength gains. Any ideas? Which brand? How to use them best?
Also, cardio; sprints or low intensity steady state to minimize fat gain and increase stamina?

juggernaut
10-13-2009, 10:46 AM
And what about plyometrics for power gains? Which are best?

tjoe
10-13-2009, 12:09 PM
cardio for strongman should be INTENSE!!
I did NOT follow that advice and suffered on those events requiring "air".
Remember train SPECIFICALLY! Events only last 60-90 seconds BUT it's 60-90 seconds of hell. Teach yourself to embrace that high heart rate... train on the brink!

juggernaut
10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
So I'm guessing at least 30 second sprints at the very top of 80% to a walking rest pace?

tjoe
10-13-2009, 04:16 PM
how about 90 seconds of hell followed by 5 minutes of rest pace? repeat 5 times.

juggernaut
10-13-2009, 04:36 PM
You suck, but I'll (goddddddd) try it.

juggernaut
10-13-2009, 04:39 PM
how the heck do i set that up?

Warmup: 5 minutes
90 seconds of HIIT
5 minutes cooldown
Rinse, lather repeat?

tjoe
10-13-2009, 09:14 PM
yep. perfect. and each of those 5 90 second intervals should bring you to the brink of passing out or vomiting... just sayin :)

juggernaut
10-13-2009, 09:25 PM
That's not funny Joe. I'm beginning to hate you.

GameofInches
10-14-2009, 07:45 PM
I totaly agree with the HIT cardio. But to answer your question about bands, if you are following the 5/3/1 still then I believe Jim Wendler is strongly oppossed to bands with his programs. Bands place a strict demand on the CNS and the body overall. I personally would just stick with the 5/3/1 routine. It is slow steady progress while minimizing the chance of overtraining. Just my .02

juggernaut
10-14-2009, 09:34 PM
You're right GOI...I was wondering just how to ramp up the gains, but it seems you are correct on the slow and steady.

Oh and Joe's a real bastard for that cardio; I puked.

tjoe
10-15-2009, 11:54 AM
oh a little vomit eh... just replace the calories! :yep:

juggernaut
10-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Ok, so I am on the deloading week, and crushed all of my sets and numbers with everything I had. I do the deloading and then what? Continue adding the 10 lb increments as I go each week? I also changed over to a 4 day routine and it is working very well for me.

The fucking cardio continues to suck.

GameofInches
10-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Ok, so I am on the deloading week, and crushed all of my sets and numbers with everything I had. I do the deloading and then what? Continue adding the 10 lb increments as I go each week? I also changed over to a 4 day routine and it is working very well for me.

The fucking cardio continues to suck.

Yeah, you add 10lbs to your max squat and deadlift numbers and 5lbs to your bench/military press numbers and then recalculate the poundages like you did for the first 4 weeks.

juggernaut
10-20-2009, 01:42 PM
got it. thanks!

GameofInches
10-21-2009, 11:30 AM
got it. thanks!

No prob man