PDA

View Full Version : Strikeforce-Oct. 10th?

-Z-
09-07-2009, 08:23 PM
While Strikeforce has a "Challengers Series" event in less than three weeks, the big focus surrounding the California-based organization has been finding out when and where Fedor Emelianenko will make his debut for the promotion.

Multiple signs are pointing toward an Oct. 10 event in Newark, N.J., but Strikeforce officials insist the previously announced matchup between Emelianenko and Brett Rogers has yet to receive an official home.

"It's all just rumors at this point," Strikeforce Director of Communications Mike Afromowitz told MMAjunkie.com

On the most recent episode of ESPN.com's "MMA Live," co-host Franklin McNeil identified the date and venue as a potential target for the organization.

"Let me preface this by saying I haven't gotten this confirmed by Scott Coker at the moment," McNeil said. "But I'm hearing that Newark, N.J., Oct. 10, the Prudential Center could be the site of Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers.

"Again, I want to emphasize that this has not been confirmed. However, it's looking good. The source that told me this was a very reliable person."

In addition to McNeil's speculation, Strikeforce's broadcast partner Showtime recently added an Oct. 10 event to its programming guide. While the listing offers little in the way of details, the reserved block adds further stock to McNeil's report.

Showtime Sports exec Chris DeBlasio today told MMAjunkie.com the addition to the network's schedule didn't guarantee an event – but he also wouldn't rule out the possibility of a card.

"There's no details to fill in there," DeBlasio said. "There's no information on that particular date or an event planned for [Strikeforce]. It's just a placeholder for scheduling so they can block off time where we can air a live event on that date if we choose to.

"It could always be changed, even of we name Fighter A vs. Fighter B, but in this particular instance, it definitely could be."

The potential Oct. 10 date represents less than five weeks' official notice for the public. Many MMA observers believe Strikeforce may be delaying the official announcement of the event to avoid counter-programming by the UFC. Of course, a bit of Zuffa-related counter-programming is already in place for Oct. 10 as WEC 43 was recently rescheduled for that date.

Afromowitz said he anticipates an official announcement from Strikeforce regarding the heavily anticipated Emelianenko vs. Rogers sometime this week.