PDA

View Full Version : Cro Cop talks UFC

-Z-
09-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic is a company man. At least, he comes off that way.

“I made my career in Japan. I liked Pride more than anything, but those days are gone and UFC is the main on the MMA market today. I think my place is to fight in the UFC and that is it.”

That’s a far cry from the tornado of uncertainty that swirled following his win over Mustapha Al-Turk at UFC 99 in June.

That fight was the only time UFC president Dana White did a one-fight deal over the phone. As soon as it was over, it appeared that White got played for a mark.

A report by Yahoo! Sports reporter Kevin Iole noted that Cro Cop opted not to live up to a verbal agreement with White and instead would bolt back to Japan, returning to the Dream organization he left behind six months prior.

White even responded in the report, saying, “Isn’t that a dirty (expletive) thing to do? The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he (expletived) me.”

Cro Cop is now back in the fold, the ink dry on a new three-bout deal – courtesy of a personal visit from UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta in the fighter’s home country of Croatia – and fighting Junior Dos Santos on Sept. 19 in Dallas.

During a media conference call for UFC 103 on Tuesday, the one time Pride Open Weight Grand Prix champion talked of his decision to sign with the UFC, hoping to lock down talk of the controversial dealings squarely in the past.

“We make the deal for the Germany event. It was a single fight, but I told Dana that I want to keep fighting and that everything was pretty much clear,” recounted the Croatian.

“Then so many kinds of rumors came from Internet, this that, this that, but there is no truth to any of this. I was able to choose. I was free on the market and I wanted to go in the hardest and the only global organization today, it's UFC. I think that every true fighter should fight in the UFC today because UFC definitely the only worldwide organization today.”

There was interest from Dream, but Cro Cop insists he was nothing but fair to all parties involved.

“Dream was interested in me to keep fighting there,” he said. “I was fair with Dana White, talking with UFC. I was fair with Dream and I told Dream I would accept better deal, better challenge for me, and UFC is definitely for fighters (a) better chance and that's all. There is no mystery in that. And of course, I decided to take UFC offer.”

And with that, the smoke clears. Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic is a UFC fight once again

Bolan
09-08-2009, 08:20 PM
And he'll get K.O'ed again.........

TPT
09-08-2009, 08:50 PM
his reentry does make the heavyweight division more interesting. he will make up some good match ups.

SlimTim
09-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I really hope he can regain his old form and start destroying people again. If he can a match between him and Lesnar for the belt would be major.

TPT
09-10-2009, 03:46 PM
I really hope he can regain his old form and start destroying people again. If he can a match between him and Lesnar for the belt would be major.

he was incredibly exciting. he helped revolutionize striking in mma. just when striking was passe, him and wandi started to rule.

SlimTim
09-10-2009, 03:52 PM
If he can get back to the top it would be the ultimate 'striker vs. grappler' heavyweight matchup with him and Brock

cobra
09-10-2009, 09:12 PM
I think Brock would kill him. LOL I've almost lost faith in anyone out right now for that matter beating Brock.

-Z-
09-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Mirko had a long run as one of the best fighters in Pride history. While his only title was as winner of the Open Weight Grand Prix, CroCop goes down with the second most wins within the Pride organization. His 18 wins are only second to Wanderlei Silva, who won 23 times in Pride.

CroCop’s most celebrated weapons are definitely his kicks. He has shown more KO power in his kicks than anyone else in the combined histories of Pride and the UFC, and there’s no one even close in second place. CroCop has four head kick KO’s, two body kick KO’s, and a leg kick KO. His eight kick KO’s put him in first place by a large margin. Second place is held by Wanderlei Silva with three, and that’s only if you count soccer kicks. CroCop is the only fighter in UFC and Pride history with more than two standing kick KO/TKO’s.

In addition to his striking, CroCop is best known for his excellent takedown defense. For his career, CroCop has defended 77% of his opponent’s takedown attempts. That is among the best takedown defense rates in MMA, comparable to the likes of Chuck Liddell (80% defense rate).

ufc.com

-Z-
09-12-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm retarded can someone move this.

Plates
09-12-2009, 09:06 AM
lol!!

-Z-
09-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks Mike

-Z-
09-12-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm a huge fan of Mirko, I hope he can rebound. This next fight will say a lot about where he's going.

-Z-
09-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Down, that's where he's going. What a shitty performance, he's done.

Plates
09-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Its a wrap for him. Even in a weak market, he still sucks.

Mirko Cro Cop
09-20-2009, 12:09 PM
I miss the old Mirko, he was so good back in the day.

All these PRIDE legends crumbling is depressing me, but if Shogun beats Machida it'll all be alright.

-Z-
09-20-2009, 12:12 PM
I miss the old Mirko, he was so good back in the day.

All these PRIDE legends crumbling is depressing me, but if Shogun beats Machida it'll all be alright.

It's caused their not juiced anymore.

Mirko Cro Cop
09-20-2009, 12:14 PM
It's caused their not juiced anymore.

Rampage seems to be coping pretty well though, Wandi murdered him in their first two outings in PRIDE but then he murdered Wandi in their third meeting in the UFC.

I think alot of them are just passed their best, Cro Cop is still the same size as he used to be in PRIDE.

-Z-
09-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Age is always a factor, I truly believe a lot of the issues the Pride guys have is because of the lack of enhancement.

2manytoyz
09-20-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm a huge and long time fan for Cro Cop but its time to retire. He will always be remembered as a lengend.

SAMSON
09-21-2009, 03:59 AM
When Cro Cop joined the UFC I can remember telling my friends who had never seen him in Pride that he would steamroll through the HW division and be champ in no time (I think Sylvia was the champ at the time) I truelly believed that without Fedor to contend with nobody would be able to hang with him.......how wrong was I!!!

Initially I thought he was struggling to adapt to fighting in a cage rather than a ring, but after this weekend as much as its hard to say, he isnt the same fighter anymore.
He was being WAAYYY to cautious with Dos Santos.
It was so frustrating to watch as in that 3rd round where he clearly needed a KO to win he still sat back and relied on a left jab rather than steam forward to test Dos Santos with combo's and mid kicks.