PDA

View Full Version : I have a cold: Workout or Not?

Dr. Joel Nathan
09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
When a cold strikes, should I work out? I always feel better physically and emotionally post workout. And, yes, I'll wash my hands between exercises.

DAVIDHARDY
09-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Depends on how bad it is. If it's just a head cold, don't be a pussy and tough it out lol. If you have the flu and your aching all over then stay out of the gym for a few days until it goes away. It's not going to kill you to take a few days off and it will help you get better sooner.

fitmomma3
09-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I agree with the above stomach bugs and flu are a def no for me but anything else I would get in there...Sometimes you have to adjust if your sinuses are really bad you can't do any laying down excercise (bench, french press etc) just because the pressure hurts to much, but most everything else should be fine and cardio actually always helps me feel better. Just listen to your body. if you have a fever i would wait until that subsides, and just watch your HR I know when I have the flu for some reason mines through the roof!

Shadow
09-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I agree with the posters above, BUT...if it's something other people can catch, I would stay away just as a courtesy to the other gym-goers.

BIG AL WILLIAMS
09-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Usually if I have a typical head cold and nothing severe and feel a little cruddy I generally take a strong ass thermogenic like VPX Redline or Clenbutrx.At times when I train it feels like my cold went away-until I get home and the thermos wear off-LOL!

Kim McGuire
09-11-2009, 03:35 PM
i remember my doctor told me (a long time ago mind you) if you have a cold and it's in your sinus's-not your chest, you're good to work out. if it's in your chest, back off and take it easy till it clears.

the flu is not the same as a cold. if you have the flu, do EVERYONE a favor and stay home!!!!

kiMbergman
09-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I feel better NOT lying around when my sinuses are WACK. Moving around helps me breath better with the common (nasal) cold. I agree with Kim, Chest cold is a different story.

FLU.... If you have the flu, you are not doing yourself (or anyone else) a favor to go to the gym. Resting allows your immune system to make those antibodies that make you better!

I hope everyone stays healthy this winter.

clevelandmuscle
09-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Normally it it is just a cold, you will probably feel better getting in there. But as someone above said, if it is in your chest, you might want to stay out for a day or two. My body usually lets me know if I should be in there or not.

Ironguru
09-25-2009, 12:52 AM
It all depends on how severe the cold is but the general rule of thumb is that when you're sick, the immune system is down and when your immune system is down, your body will not be able to recuperate from the extra stress imposed through weight training as you might have been able to do before you had the cold. Just take a few days off until you're better.

miamibodybuilder
03-24-2011, 01:30 PM
honestly, in my opinion it really all depends on how bad the cold really is. if you have a fever, headache, stuffy nose and your body aches, i wouldnt recommend working out man. although i should probably take my own advice at times. i usually train no matter what, but i've learned to listen to my body and not push it when it's broken down by a cold. so i would just tell you to evaluate the severity of the cold and take it from there man. if it's really bad, take a day off to rest and recover.

Dr. Joel Nathan
03-27-2011, 10:43 AM
The rule of thumb advocated by many sports doctors is that if you don't have a fever or equilibrium problems then you are good to go. Use common sense as certain variables and circumstances will influence your decision one way or the other.

Listen to Mike, he is a powerhouse of bodybuilding knowledge.

Joel Nathan, MD

joe d
03-28-2011, 05:41 AM
theres no danger from just a cold but my opinion is this.

if you cant go have a 100% give it your all w/o then dont go at all. use the time to prepare to start fresh. kick the cold as quick as possible then get back to the gym. in the long run that kind of efficiency pays off.

ZenFit
04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
When a cold strikes, should I work out? I always feel better physically and emotionally post workout. And, yes, I'll wash my hands between exercises.
if you just have a cold then working out will just help sweat it out.. you will be fine.. just take in enough fluids and get good sleep after..

Sumonchy
04-07-2011, 05:07 PM

I agree with you.